Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Safer dj

Default Safer dj

Just got my DJ for 2010 SAFER. Said I did poorly in automated scoring and poorly in peer.

Quote,

Given the high number of applications received, it is not feasible for us to provide a detailed account of how each individual application was rated in the competitive process. However, we can tell you that your application did not score well in the automated assessment, which was worth 50 percent of the overall score. In the second phase, the peer r! eview panel scores indicate that your application narrative wa! s genera lly good in all evaluation elements but lacked the level of detail needed to be considered for funding. To help you obtain a higher score in a future SAFER grant request, it is recommended that you review the portion of your application in which you addressed the project description, including why grant funds are needed and a description of the specific benefits these funds will provide for the department and community.

Forum Member

I just received the same thing. I understand the need for form letters - but heck - I don't think this is too helpful at all. As far as the automated part - not sure there is much I can do about that right? Isn't that all facts?

I guess I go back to the drawing board. Good news is that I can practice again once they open the AFG.

Dave

Forum Member

Just received mine as well. I didn't have much hope of getting it though, as they had completely turned the purpose of the original program on its head and used it as a job retention program for larger, urban departments.

Let's hope things change this year.

Forum Member

Diddo here

Diddo here too

Quote Originally Posted by LVFD301 View Post
    Just got my DJ for 2010 SAFER. Said I did poorly in automated scoring and poorly in peer.

Quote,

Given the high number of applications received, it is not feasible for us to provide a detailed account of how each individual application was rated in the competitive process. However, we can tell you that your application did not score well in the automated assessment, which was worth 50 percent of the overall score. In the second phase, the peer r! eview panel scores indicate that your application narrative wa! s genera lly good in all evaluation elements but lacked the level of detail needed to be considered for funding. To help you obtain a higher score in a future SAFER grant request, it is recommended that you review the portion of your application in which you addressed the project description, including why grant funds are needed and a description of the specific benefits these funds will provide for the department and community.
    In other words, population and call volume considered against cost benefit did not crunch right. Unfortunatley, many will see this letter later on this year also. With AFG being scored under same system this year, this is a form letter many are likely to see this year.
    Kurt Bradley
    Public Safety Grants Consultant

"Never Trade Skill for Luck"

Forum Member

I just checked and found NO dj on the hiring application........my fingers are crossed.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Different

My DJ said I did well in all aspects however, we need to better align our project with the priorites of the program. Unfortunately I am not going to lay off firefighters so I can get a safer grant. I really feel strongly if we do not get away from the welfare program SAFER has become we will lose the program all together. My project was to hire one positon as a training /Safety Officer, this would make a huge difference in our department. While a city to the south got millions to hire back firefighters with no intension of keeping them past two years.

Quote Originally Posted by mwtetreault View Post
    My DJ said I did well in all aspects however, we need to better align our project with the priorites of the program. Unfortunately I am not going to lay off firefighters so I can get a safer grant. I really feel strongly if we do not get away from the welfare program SAFER has become we will lose the program all together. My project was to hire one positon as a training /Safety Officer, this would make a huge difference in our department. While a city to the south got millions to hire back firefighters with no intension of keeping them past two years.
    Amen to that brother! We need to try a new strategy, which we can discuss when I am up there in Sept. for the next class.
    Kurt Bradley

Forum Member

how much is left for hiring? how many awards for hiring does it look like could happen?

MembersZone Subscriber

Default DJ's

Got mine too! it said peer reveiw scores indicated it was well prepared and was above average - but lacked details to support funding!! now i am really confused. but I am also a realist - most of the SAFER money is going to hiring so I was expecting the DJ.

that being said - Kurt, I agree - we need a new collective theme/stratergy/mission statement for SAFER on the recruitment/retention side. Someone puts out a good one - i will support it.

Forum Member

We got our DJ also.

"However, we can tell you that your application faired reasonably well in the automated assessment but did in the second phase, the peer review panel scores indicate that in order to assist you in obtaining a higher score in a future SAFER grant request, it is recommended that you review the portion of your application in which you addressed your department's need for financial assistance and the inability to address the need without Federal assistance."

Budget has been scrubbed 3 years in a row. We are back to 2004 levels of funding. Call volume continues to rise. Haven't lost uniformed personnel in fire or police, but every city department has had positions cut.

Don't know if we will apply for SAFER again.

Quote Originally Posted by bhumphreys View Post
    We got our DJ also.

"However, we can tell you that your application faired reasonably well in the automated assessment but did in the second phase, the peer review panel scores indicate that in order to assist you in obtaining a higher score in a future SAFER grant request, it is recommended that you review the portion of your application in which you addressed your department's need for financial assistance and the inability to address the need without Federal assistance."

Budget has been scrubbed 3 years in a row. We are back to 2004 levels of funding. Call volume continues to rise. Haven't lost uniformed personnel in fire or police, but every city department has had positions cut.

Don't know if we will apply for SAFER again.
    Wow that was one of the more specific DJs in terms of explanation that I have seen out there. Would need to see your financial need statement to determine if it was just a "canned response" or if that section truly did need work. Give me a shout. Maybe I can help.
    Kurt Bradley

Forum Member

Has anyone else recieved dj's or questions? We havent heard anything yet on our hiring app.

Forum Member

Anyone? Anyone? We submitted a hiring application and have heard nothing so far.....is anything still happening with safer??

Thread Information