4 80.00%
  • Sure, I don't see a problem with it.

0 0%
  • No Way!

1 20.00%

Thread: Mixing brands

Forum Member

Default Mixing brands

Hello folks, we are in the process of demoing several different brands of hydraulic rescue tools and we have found some individual tools that we REALLY like, but they don't all come from the same manufacturer.

We currently use a 26 year old set of Amkus tools, this set consists of a 32 spreader, a 25 cutter, two rams, and a gas power unit that is not simo but is about the same physical size as current simo units. The power unit is showing it's age and is tough to start sometimes. The cutters are rather week and will not handle the newer materials being used, they also have a very small opening which isn't ideal. We really don't have any issues with the spreaders and rarely use the rams. We probably only average about 5 extrications a year.

Well, here is the general consensus that our members have come to: We really liked most of what Genesis has to offer. We really liked the ergonomics of their tools, the push button throttle, the overdrive feature on the power units, and the size of the power units. The performance of these tools was excellent as well. But here is the big kicker: of course budget is always a concern of ours, and we absolutely LOVED the newer Amkus 32" spreader with the 8" accessory tips. These tips make the spreader so much more useful in so many situations. We can actually have our current spreaders converted to the new style and save about $4000 over buying new spreaders. But we honestly didn't care for the Amkus cutters and power units.

Both Genesis and Amkus reps have confirmed that the tools are 100% compatible with each other. They both operate at 10,500 psi, use the same couplings, and they both use mineral oil. The only catch is that Amkus will only warranty their tool if Amkus oil is used, but our spreaders are already out of warranty anyway so this is of little concern.

What does everyone think of setting up a system like this? The only real con I can see is the different style of throttle controls. Has anyone done this before? I think this setup would allow us to have the best of each type of tool we demoed and to save some money as well.

Forum Member

I've heard that you can do it, but do not have any experience doing so.

We use all Genesis at the vollie house and have a set of amkus and soon to be two sets of Genesis at work.

I personally think that both manufacturers are the top of the line. I've used quite a few manufacturers tools and prefer these two. But if I had to pick between the two it would be Genesis everytime. The tools are quicker even when you don't use the overdrive function. I can understand what you like about the Amkus spreaders, I also really like them, but also have not had any problems or situations where the Genesis spreaders were not more than adequate.
    ------------------------------------
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.

Forum Member

We have an Amkus combi - We we got a full set of Genesis tools , I purged the Amkus of fluid and refilled it with Genesis brand just to be "safe"
    ?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by slackjawedyokel View Post
    We have an Amkus combi - We we got a full set of Genesis tools , I purged the Amkus of fluid and refilled it with Genesis brand just to be "safe"
    Do your guys get confused over the different controls at all? Does the Amkus operate at significantly higher or lower speeds on the Genesis pump?

Forum Member

I'm really surprised that more people aren't commenting on this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by blaster668 View Post
    Do your guys get confused over the different controls at all? Does the Amkus operate at significantly higher or lower speeds on the Genesis pump?
    I've never operated an Amkus tool off a Genesis pump but even if both sets of tools are operated on their own manufacturers power unit, the manufacturers advertised tool speed is slower on the Amkus.
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.

MembersZone Subscriber

I see a fair amount of departments doing this by upgrading components of their current HRT system by adding components from another HRT manufacturer. Most all of the tool vendors supply tools which they indicate are fully compatable with other systems. Some are as they say are a happy marriage and others have had multiple problems. This is much more complex process that just adding brand A couplers onto a brand B component. What happens when a component breaks or needs serviced ? Will the HRT vendor supplying the new components warranty and service the entire system of just the new components. If this is the route you choose do your homework the same as if you where buying a new system. Complete hands on evaluatations on a full variety of tools and make sure that you get all the warranty and service information in writing not just the word of the salesman. Ask for references of other departments where they have done similar upgrades and talk with their personnel as to any issues that have arisen (performance, service and warranty).

Forum Member

I think the question you should ask yourself is....they may claim the fittings are the same, and they may claim the fluid is the same, and they may claim the pressure is the same. But would stick your male fitting into ANY female fitting on the street? You don't know where that fitting has been...you just may contaminate your system forever because of one stupid quickie.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by GFD615 View Post
    I think the question you should ask yourself is....they may claim the fittings are the same, and they may claim the fluid is the same, and they may claim the pressure is the same. But would stick your male fitting into ANY female fitting on the street? You don't know where that fitting has been...you just may contaminate your system forever because of one stupid quickie.
    Sounds like the voice of personal experience here.

We run Hurst, but we were short one set of spreaders for our high pressure unit so we purged a set of Amkus and have been using them on that set without any issues.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Miller337 View Post
    Sounds like the voice of personal experience here.

We run Hurst, but we were short one set of spreaders for our high pressure unit so we purged a set of Amkus and have been using them on that set without any issues.
    Must be Centaur. Amkus won't work for schit on a regular Hurst system(Hi vs Low pressure) T.c.

Thread Information