Like Tree365Likes

Thread: Philadelphia 2011

  1. #226
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    96

    Default

    come on guys if you can't read an app. how are you going to get through the study guide. And for those of you that can there is your compition

  2. #227
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    62

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by philly10 View Post
    come on guys if you can't read an app. how are you going to get through the study guide. And for those of you that can there is your compition
    THANK YOU, Philly10

  3. #228
    Forum Member
    CaptOldTimer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 1999
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    7,246

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by philly10 View Post
    come on guys if you can't read an app. how are you going to get through the study guide. And for those of you that can there is your compition
    Hey Bro, they won't get pass the written let alone be hired.

    If you can't read something as simple as the application and the infomation given, you will not pass the written, even if you do, you will not make it through the Academy!

    That is the FIRST step in getting hired!!
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

    Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

  4. #229
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    96

    Default

    i know bro, that's what i said they can't get the date or what is expected of them right but trust that means nothing ppl will still get in

  5. #230
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    38

    Default

    "This examination will be tentatively scheduled for the week of November 14, 2011. Please note that this examination date is subject to change."

    now the only other date i see on the application for that week would be the 19th which is the last day to submit documents. I see nothing on there about an exact date to test. If i'm missing something please let me know

  6. #231
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    89

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FFemt1991 View Post
    "This examination will be tentatively scheduled for the week of November 14, 2011. Please note that this examination date is subject to change."

    now the only other date i see on the application for that week would be the 19th which is the last day to submit documents. I see nothing on there about an exact date to test. If i'm missing something please let me know
    The following is on the fire department website

    The Firefighter examination is currently scheduled for Saturday, November 19, 2011. Only those who apply on-line between June 27 and August 5 and who meet the minimum requirements will be permitted to sit for the examination.

  7. #232
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    96

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Stogie81 View Post
    The following is on the fire department website

    The Firefighter examination is currently scheduled for Saturday, November 19, 2011. Only those who apply on-line between June 27 and August 5 and who meet the minimum requirements will be permitted to sit for the examination.
    i have the job i'm not worried about taking it and i knew that was the date you guy & gals need to start paying more attention it's not that hard

  8. #233
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    88

    Default

    Here is my dilemma: I have Bridgeport FD's test on 11/19 as well. So far only about 300-400 applicants have applied for that test. I paid the filing fee which was ridiculously high.

    Also Philly's test is scheduled for 11/19. I am receiving the extra points for EMT-B in PA.

    Which test would you take?

  9. #234
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    89

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by philly10 View Post
    i have the job i'm not worried about taking it and i knew that was the date you guy & gals need to start paying more attention it's not that hard
    That was for the benefit of FFemt1991 and anybody else who was not sure of the date or where it came from, although some of the people should be left to sink or swim for not paying attention.

  10. #235
    Forum Member
    FWDbuff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Pee-Ayy!
    Posts
    7,407

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bigandy View Post
    Here is my dilemma: I have Bridgeport FD's test on 11/19 as well. So far only about 300-400 applicants have applied for that test. I paid the filing fee which was ridiculously high.

    Also Philly's test is scheduled for 11/19. I am receiving the extra points for EMT-B in PA.

    Which test would you take?
    Bridgeport.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

  11. #236
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    96

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bigandy View Post
    Here is my dilemma: I have Bridgeport FD's test on 11/19 as well. So far only about 300-400 applicants have applied for that test. I paid the filing fee which was ridiculously high.

    Also Philly's test is scheduled for 11/19. I am receiving the extra points for EMT-B in PA.

    Which test would you take?
    that depends on what your looking for in your career and also 300-400 applicants is a hell of alot lower but how many are they taking?

  12. #237
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    4

    Default

    Does anyone know if the city offers points for degree programs? The application doesn't mention it, so I imagine not; however, my wife (who is PPD) believes there is and it is mentioned in the study guide (Chpt. 1 pg. 16 para. 1 line 6-7). I would imagine that points of that nature would be restricted to promotional exams but I am curious if you can apply a science degree to get on the job. Thanks.

  13. #238
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    88

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by philly10 View Post
    that depends on what your looking for in your career and also 300-400 applicants is a hell of alot lower but how many are they taking?
    Well that's what I'm unsure of. The budget states that they are between 60-70 short of adequate manning. Also according to a member on this forum, about 100 guys are coming up on there 25 year mark which would mean at least some retirees.

    I mean I already paid the $135.00 filing fee...so right now I'm pretty ****ed off. I was hoping to test for both departments this time around to at least get some more tests under my belt for practice.

    I wasn't expecting them both to be on the same day, and its not like I can take one and than shoot on over and hit the next one. So I'm pretty much f-ed.

    Anymore insight?

  14. #239
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    96

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bigandy View Post
    Well that's what I'm unsure of. The budget states that they are between 60-70 short of adequate manning. Also according to a member on this forum, about 100 guys are coming up on there 25 year mark which would mean at least some retirees.

    I mean I already paid the $135.00 filing fee...so right now I'm pretty ****ed off. I was hoping to test for both departments this time around to at least get some more tests under my belt for practice.

    I wasn't expecting them both to be on the same day, and its not like I can take one and than shoot on over and hit the next one. So I'm pretty much f-ed.

    Anymore insight?
    that sucks not sure you could always see what time the test's are philly does an AM &PM test don't know if you could swing both but over the next four yrs which is the duration of the list philly is going to need to hire alot just to man stations there is a ton of guys going out

  15. #240
    Forum Member
    FWDbuff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Pee-Ayy!
    Posts
    7,407

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dragon Soldier View Post
    The application doesn't mention it.
    Therein lies the answer.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

  16. #241
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    4

    Default

    Thanks Buff, only reason i had doubt is because the last time I took the police test I ended up having to remind HR about my veterans preference; so I actually received two letters one saying I was ranked 300 something then one that said 2. Also with my wife working for the city, and the horror stories she relays, I wouldn't second guess an oversight like that. thanks again.

  17. #242
    Forum Member
    CaptOldTimer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 1999
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    7,246

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dragon Soldier View Post
    Thanks Buff, only reason i had doubt is because the last time I took the police test I ended up having to remind HR about my veterans preference; so I actually received two letters one saying I was ranked 300 something then one that said 2. Also with my wife working for the city, and the horror stories she relays, I wouldn't second guess an oversight like that. thanks again.
    And you want to work for Philly after hearing what your bride has said????
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

    Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

  18. #243
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptOldTimer View Post
    And you want to work for Philly after hearing what your bride has said????
    Well Cap, I'm always up for a challenge otherwise I never would have gotten married haha

  19. #244
    Forum Member
    FWDbuff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Pee-Ayy!
    Posts
    7,407

    Default

    Just posted on phillyfirenews facebook page:

    ATTENTION!! STUDY SESSIONS FOR THE UPCOMING PFD ENTRANCE EXAM ARE GOING TO START NEXT WED. NITE AT 6PM AT THE UNION HALL 5TH AND WILLOWS. WE HOPE TO HAVE ONE EVERY WEEKNIGHT SAME TIME AND PLACE. EACH NIGHT WE WILL GO OVER A DIFFERENT SECTION OF THE BOOKLET (ORIENTATION, HOMELAND SECURITY, TOOLS, SOPS, AND FIRST AID), DURING THE LAST WEEK PROBABLY THE WED NIGHT BEFORE THE TEST THEIR WILL BE ONE FINAL MAJOR REVIEW (PRACTICE TEST). ALL ARE WELCOME AND ENCOURAGED TO ATTEND, SPREAD THE WORD!! IF YOU OR SOMEONE YOU KNOW IS COMING BRING A PEN, PAPER, HIGHLIGHTER, AND YOUR TEST BOOKLET. THANKS AND SEE YOU THERE!
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

  20. #245
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    89

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff View Post
    Just posted on phillyfirenews facebook page:

    ATTENTION!! STUDY SESSIONS FOR THE UPCOMING PFD ENTRANCE EXAM ARE GOING TO START NEXT WED. NITE AT 6PM AT THE UNION HALL 5TH AND WILLOWS. WE HOPE TO HAVE ONE EVERY WEEKNIGHT SAME TIME AND PLACE. EACH NIGHT WE WILL GO OVER A DIFFERENT SECTION OF THE BOOKLET (ORIENTATION, HOMELAND SECURITY, TOOLS, SOPS, AND FIRST AID), DURING THE LAST WEEK PROBABLY THE WED NIGHT BEFORE THE TEST THEIR WILL BE ONE FINAL MAJOR REVIEW (PRACTICE TEST). ALL ARE WELCOME AND ENCOURAGED TO ATTEND, SPREAD THE WORD!! IF YOU OR SOMEONE YOU KNOW IS COMING BRING A PEN, PAPER, HIGHLIGHTER, AND YOUR TEST BOOKLET. THANKS AND SEE YOU THERE!
    Just got a call about this last night and I am there!

  21. #246
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    NYC/Washington Heights
    Posts
    87

    Default

    Does anyone know the exact address to this location? I'm coming from out of town, and I do not know the area. I also don't have a facebook account so I'm unable to see the post. Also, are these sessions being held by instructors from the exam company or fire department or is this just like a study group kind of thing between the test takers. Thank you for your help guys and good luck to all

  22. #247
    Forum Member
    FWDbuff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Pee-Ayy!
    Posts
    7,407

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FDNY-USCG View Post
    Does anyone know the exact address to this location? I'm coming from out of town, and I do not know the area. I also don't have a facebook account so I'm unable to see the post. Also, are these sessions being held by instructors from the exam company or fire department or is this just like a study group kind of thing between the test takers. Thank you for your help guys and good luck to all
    Which part of 5th and Willow confused you? And if you want an exact address, is it really THAT hard to google "Philadelphia Firefighters Union" or "Local 22" or "Philadelphia Firefighters?"

    I weep for the future.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

  23. #248
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    NYC/Washington Heights
    Posts
    87

    Default

    ***hole, What part of I'm not from the area don't you understand? Second how am I suppose to know what and where the "Philadelphia firefighters union" is located or "Local 22"? Is there really a reason for the attitude, and finally be grateful that you live in this country because I've been serving proudly for the last 5 years, and your little "weep for the future comment is very disrespectful. I guess it's nice to talk trash when you're on an online forum. Stop being a child and grow up

  24. #249
    Forum Member
    FWDbuff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Pee-Ayy!
    Posts
    7,407

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FDNY-USCG View Post
    ***hole, What part of I'm not from the area don't you understand? Second how am I suppose to know what and where the "Philadelphia firefighters union" is located or "Local 22"? Is there really a reason for the attitude, and finally be grateful that you live in this country because I've been serving proudly for the last 5 years, So what? Do you want a cookie? and your little "weep for the future comment is very disrespectful. If you took it personally thats your problem, the truth hurts, doesnt it? I guess it's nice to talk trash when you're on an online forum. Stop being a child and grow up
    Wowwwwww......What am I supposed to be impressed that you were in the pretend navy? Obviously those 5 years didn't teach you schit as far as "Attention to Detail." The message that was posted had plenty of clues in it that would have enabled anyone from out of town, even a condescending arrogant little puddle pirate would have been able to comb out enough information to be able to google the location of the test prep sessions. As previously stated- Which part of the phrase "5th and Willow Streets" didnt you understand? Additionally, the fact that it was being held at the Union Hall was mentioned- hence the suggested google search phrase "Philadelphia Firefighters Union." ATTENTION TO DETAIL, SON!

    What of the fact that the original message offered the fact that it would be at the UNION HALL???? Exactly which union hall would you think the FIREFIGHTERS TEST PREP session would be held at? The Ironworkers Union Hall? Or perhaps maybe the Philadelphia Orchestra's Union Hall? No- Wait.....I have it......You thought that it would be held at the Carpenters Union Hall.....That must be it.

    I weep for the future.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

  25. #250
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Philly
    Posts
    389

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FDNY-USCG View Post
    Does anyone know the exact address to this location? I'm coming from out of town, and I do not know the area. I also don't have a facebook account so I'm unable to see the post. Also, are these sessions being held by instructors from the exam company or fire department or is this just like a study group kind of thing between the test takers. Thank you for your help guys and good luck to all
    I'm in the union, and I don't know the exact address. But if you google "5th and Willow Philadelphia", the image below shows up under maps/street view. Which building looks like it'd be the firefighters' union hall? If you get the wrong one, don't bother taking the test. Or do you need your hand held that much?

    The study groups are being held at the hall, courtesy of current members volunteering to help. Good luck.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Opinions expressed are mine alone, and do not necessarily reflect those of the Philadelphia Fire Department and/or IAFF Local 22.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. World Of Fire Report: 12-11-05
    By PaulBrown in forum World of Fire Daily Report
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-17-2005, 07:23 PM
  2. World Of Fire Report: 11-30-05
    By PaulBrown in forum World of Fire Daily Report
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-02-2005, 09:49 PM
  3. World Of Fire Report: 11-23-05
    By PaulBrown in forum World of Fire Daily Report
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-24-2005, 08:04 AM
  4. World Of Fire Report: 11-17-05
    By PaulBrown in forum World of Fire Daily Report
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-18-2005, 06:57 PM
  5. World Of Fire Report: 11-12-05
    By PaulBrown in forum World of Fire Daily Report
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-14-2005, 07:22 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Log in

Click here to log in or register