Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 134 FirstFirst ... 789101112132060110 ... LastLast
Like Tree365Likes

Thread: Philadelphia 2011

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BigGriffC12 View Post
    I'm going with November 19th..I feel that it will be 1 date, 1 time at various schools like..Fuss..I think..said..If the whole car thing is an issue, I'd try calling the human resources department and explain to them you're issue and I'm sure you can get some info out of them.
    I tried emailing them already.

No dice...

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BigGriffC12 View Post
    If the whole car thing is an issue, I'd try calling the human resources department and explain to them you're issue and I'm sure you can get some info out of them.
    Seriously. You're joking right?

Rent a car for $30 and be done with it. There are no hotels in the areas where the tests are usually given, and if there were, you probably wouldn't want to stay there anyway. Do not let your career depend on public transportation either. Just get a car, and get there early. Take the extra time to review that booklet one more time.

Quote Originally Posted by roadrunner09 View Post
    Does anybody have an inkling as to where about in the city the test is usually given? I will be coming in from out of state and will need to book a hotel possibly (depending on what day/time the test is given). I don't have a car so a hotel in the general vicinity would be great. Thanks.
    You would not want to stay in a hotel in the immediate areas of the schools where the tests are given.

I suggest that if you are flying in, you should rent a car or hook up with someone who will have a car.

If you are flying in, book a room at the Ramada in Essington by the airport. It is right outside of the City, which is where you want to be (read: cheaper.) There is also a Red Roof right there and one or two others. Easy access to Interstate 95, 76 and 476, which will get you where you need to go. You can also book a room at any of a number of hotels in Bensalem, Pa. with easy access to Pa Route 1 (Roosevelt Blvd.) and also I-95. DO NOT BOOK AT THE KNIGHTS INN ON ROUTE 1.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Be sure you park the car where it is legal so the PPA will not tow it. You really don't want to have to get a cab out to the PPA and deal with that.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Forum Member

This is going to be a fun test ... Study guide is very different from the processes I have been in ...

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by deadbear271 View Post
    This is going to be a fun test ... Study guide is very different from the processes I have been in ...

I second that. A legit study guide, that ya need to go over to do well.

Quote Originally Posted by bigandy View Post
    I second that. A legit study guide, that ya need to go over to do well.
    Wow.....I am very surprised.....If this is true gentlemen, let the lawsuit games (by the Valiants and the other "preferred demographic" watchdog groups) begin!!!!
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

i just looked over the study guide and prep test there is not very much material,like in the past, the derectly pertains to the city it's more of a national test booklet honestly i belive that the copy of the booklet i have from previouse test wasn't has hard but made more sense

Forum Member

It's a real shame we are already planning for bad news with this test. I don't understand why one would feel the need to sue over failing a test. If I fail, I will be disappointed with myself, not the city, or whoever put the test together.

-John

Forum Member

is this a good time to get ready for the cpact

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FireFuss View Post
    If your testing anywhere else maybe. Philadelphia has NO physical test in the hiring process. It's an absolute disgrace that this great of a department has such horrible testing standards.

Wow, is it at least a tough academy that weeds people out?

Forum Member

This test will be a piece of cake..I mean who is going to have a problem memorizing the salaries/hourly rates of 25 different positions

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by roadrunner09 View Post
    Yeah that makes a lot of sense. My mind escaped me when I made that post haha. I wish they would at least tell us a definitive date right now though...
    direct from the applications portal: "Pre-Examination Training Session

The Office of Human Resources will also offer a “mini-academy” two weeks prior to the examination date for those candidates who are interested in attending a training session on preparing for the TPM Test. During this orientation, candidates will be provided with effective study skills and will have an opportunity to ask questions about the TPM content."

Although it doesn't state exactly where, I recall something about it being held at the fire academy on State road (but I may be mistaken)

Additionally here's a site I came across while I was getting ready for this test before the study guide was posted. It the site for the test generators (for those of you who are curious) http://www.fpsi.com/fsiwsi.html

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FireFuss View Post
    You're joking right? Testing to get into a fire department that trains you in everything you need to know should be a general knowledge test! There should be a math, reading/comprehension, mechanical aptitude ect. It DOESN'T MATTER what the information is on. The reading section can contain information on fire related material because the reader isn't being asked about the specific material but the physical makeup of the paragraph itself. The math section should be obvious, we use those kind of skills to account for water flow and if you can't do math at a high school level you should not be on this job. The same thing with a mechanical portion, looking at things and having an idea how they work is very useful.

The last test and booklet were literally simple pictures of tools or equipment with the answer under it. And the test was identical to the study book with the exception of having 4 multiple choice answers to choose from under the picture. So it was literally a MEMORIZATION test.

This time around I actually thought I'd be able to look at the practice test and take it without even looking at the study guide. But you cant. You have to at least read that book to have an idea what the answers are. That means studying. That means a lot of people wont pass. That means a lot of people, who when they fail say a test is racist, also wont pass.

I see the results coming out, the city getting sued for discrimination, and the next class having to wait more than a year from the results coming out before they get hired. This test is bad news for the department.
    i am serious fuss this test has alot of good parts but if you look close enough the city 1)paid an outrageous amount of money for a test that was written spicificly for another city 2) it's from 06 so what was the hold up on getting the test through and 3) has numerous questions on tools and rules that do not apply to the city the ppl taking this test is going to memeorize a ton of B.S. that will need to be forgotten. but your right on the fact that the test should be harder then in the past it just needs to be more focused on our needs. i mean if your paying for a test to be put together you would think that would be the case.. also there will be law suites after the scores are tallied up from pretty much everyone

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by pipeman1822 View Post
    Wow, is it at least a tough academy that weeds people out?
    it should be the the last class that came out was so bad that the instructors were told that they were not allowed to drop anymore granted there were alot of goodFF's that came out of there as well but they will push just about anyone through but the ones that don't deserve it ppl now and they get no respect

Forum Member

Two questions:

I have gotten that the “mini academy” is nothing more than a study group but does anyone know if this is mandatory? I am coming from Charleston SC, and I am trying to limit my trips (they don’t pay us too much in Charleston Fire Department lol). It is not that big of a deal seeing that I am talking about my future here.

Does Pa accept IFSAC certification? I am IFSAC firefighter II and if Pa does accept these certifications I can get my old Volly department in Pittsburgh to get my Certs in Pa. I am not trying to take advantage but I could use all the help I can get.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by philly10 View Post
    it should be the the last class that came out was so bad that the instructors were told that they were not allowed to drop anymore granted there were alot of goodFF's that came out of there as well but they will push just about anyone through but the ones that don't deserve it ppl now and they get no respect
    I understand completely. It's the same way here in DC. It's a tough academy with great instructors but they still get some very bad people through. Of course this is a fire department so word that they are lazy travels around pretty fast and the companies on the street hear about them.

Are you on the job in Philly? If so I have a question I wanted to PM you about.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Devin.Keber View Post
    Two questions:

I have gotten that the “mini academy” is nothing more than a study group but does anyone know if this is mandatory? I am coming from Charleston SC, and I am trying to limit my trips (they don’t pay us too much in Charleston Fire Department lol). It is not that big of a deal seeing that I am talking about my future here.

Does Pa accept IFSAC certification? I am IFSAC firefighter II and if Pa does accept these certifications I can get my old Volly department in Pittsburgh to get my Certs in Pa. I am not trying to take advantage but I could use all the help I can get.
    from what i have herd they are only taking a small number for the "mini academy" so it is not mandatory. and i am not sure about the certs. this is the first test that it matter before the city did not except them from anywere else so it didn't matter

MembersZone Subscriber

Anyone else read the article on Philly EMS?

Anyone else catch this quote by the commissioner?

"...Ayers said a new class of recruits is being scheduled, which should fill 19 staffing shortages."

Here's the story:

http://www.firehouse.com/news/top-he...ill-inadequate
    Last edited by unbroken136; 10-13-2011 at 10:18 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by unbroken136 View Post
    Anyone else read the article on Philly EMS?

Anyone else catch this quote by the commissioner?

"...Ayers said a new class of recruits is being scheduled, which should fill 19 staffing shortages."
    This is for paramedics only. Pertains in no way to you guys.

Thread Information