Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 115 of 134 FirstFirst ... 1565105112113114115116117118125 ... LastLast
Results 2,281 to 2,300 of 2663
Like Tree365Likes

Thread: Philadelphia 2011

Forum Member

Hey NorfPhilly, any guess on how far down the list they'll end up? I'm thinking 400!

MembersZone Subscriber

FIREFIGHTER ENTRANCE EXAM

The Philadelphia Office of Human Resources (OHR) has informed us that they tentatively plan on announcing the entry level Firefighter exam on July 22,2013, and will accept applications until August 23,2013.

The test date (probably November 16,2013) will be on the announcement, but not the location. The tests will be held in several public schools, they have not finalized arrangements yet. Candidates will receive notification of location by e-mail approx. 2 weeks before the test.

OHR also stated they would be using the same vendor and type of exam as the last one administered.

Please check their website on a regular basis for job listings
    http://www.phila.gov/personnel//index.html

Forum Member

Ugh. My EMT class doesn't finish until December. 6 more weeks and I would have had the points.

Forum Member

Anyone hear anything new? I spoke with HR yesterday and they said the upcoming classes are still a go, but didn't have any information beyond that.

Once again, thank you to everyone on and off the job who has contributed info here, its appreciated.

Banned

The PFD got a 18 million dollar federal grant for the hiring of "front line firefighters" today.....

Forum Member

I heard the classes could be put off until the fall today! Is there any truth to that?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Maplephilly View Post
    I heard the classes could be put off until the fall today! Is there any truth to that?
    State your source

Forum Member

A fireman I know said it was being spread at work today. He also told me its possible its not true.

Forum Member

The Philadelphia Fire Department has received two federal grants worth a combined $18.4 million to pay for new firefighters and train current ones. U.S. Rep. Chaka Fattah announced the awards Wednesday. Fire Commissioner Lloyd Ayers said this was the first time the city had won the larger of the two grants - $16.3 million administered through FEMA to hire new firefighters. Ayers said the money would pay the salaries and benefits of 128 firefighters for two years. As of June 30, the department had about 2,000 firefighters but should have more than 2,200. Two fire academy classes, with 160 recruits, are slated to begin training in August. The second grant, $2.1 million from a Homeland Security program for firefighters, will go toward training newly-promoted officers replacing those lost through retirement. Ayers said the department had been stressing in its grant applications the city’s need for more firefighters, the high cost of overtime and the city’s tight finances.Read more at*http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/h...gWe1hhGgyi8.99

Forum Member

The commish said in article class will start in August.

Forum Member

I heard the class start 8-12-13 hope that's true.

Forum Member

Sorry if my post was off earlier NorfPhilly.

I just heard from someone who would know that the classes are August 12th and August 16th start dates.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Maplephilly View Post
    Sorry if my post was off earlier NorfPhilly.

I just heard from someone who would know that the classes are August 12th and August 16th start dates.
    I heard that hope it's true ! Can't wait to start !!!!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Upsidedown View Post
    Ugh. My EMT class doesn't finish until December. 6 more weeks and I would have had the points.
    ok..question for anyone that may have a clue..my emt class ends in march 14...if/when i pass the state exam..will that give me extra points even though I'd be taking the test in November? anyone want to weigh in?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by RockyFortune View Post
    ok..question for anyone that may have a clue..my emt class ends in march 14...if/when i pass the state exam..will that give me extra points even though I'd be taking the test in November? anyone want to weigh in?
    When we went through the last process, HR wanted proof of certs at the written exam. I am guessing that March would probably be too late, but last time they accepted certs from some people after the deadline. Our list was established in March 2012. This question would be best answered by HR though.

Forum Member

Any new developments ??? I also heard august 12th...

MembersZone Subscriber

Hope this helps. Civil Service Regulations:

9.066 - ADDITIONAL CREDITS ON EXAMINATIONS. Only those competitors who have achieved a final average passing grade in an examination shall receive additional credits to which they may be entitled for veterans' preference or legacy preference (for open competitive examinations only), performance ratings, seniority, education, language skills or other factors as defined by these regulations.
    The following requirements must be satisfied for a candidate to receive additional credits for examinations as described in the sub-sections of this regulation.
    The degree or credential must have been conferred, or the education or experience must have been completed no later than the thirtieth (30) day after the last date for filing applications for the examination unless the Director determines that a later date is more appropriate and specifies such later date in the announcement of the examination. For a continuous examination the eligibility date shall be the date on which the application is filed.
    An applicant may claim the additional credit at any time after the date that the examination is announced until 30 days after the Published List of Candidates is approved by the Director or his/her designee. If an eligible candidate does not request additional credits or does not submit a transcript or other required documentation until after certifications and appointments have been made, the granting of additional credits shall have no effect on prior certifications and appointments.
    An applicant must submit adequate documentation as required by the Office of Human Resources.

9.0664 - Additional Credits For Firefighter 1 Open Competitive Examinations. For open competitive examinations for the class of Firefighter announced after June 1, 2011, additional points will be added to the examination score of any candidate who has passed the open competitive examination and who is currently certified as a/an:
    Firefighter 1 by the Office of the State Fire Commissioner of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania;
    Emergency Medical Technician (Basic or Paramedic) by the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania
    Such candidates will be awarded:
    Two (2) points for certification as a Firefighter 1 and / or
    Three (3) points for certification as an Emergency Medical Technician.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BigGuyPhilly View Post
    Hope this helps. Civil Service Regulations:

9.066 - ADDITIONAL CREDITS ON EXAMINATIONS. Only those competitors who have achieved a final average passing grade in an examination shall receive additional credits to which they may be entitled for veterans' preference or legacy preference (for open competitive examinations only), performance ratings, seniority, education, language skills or other factors as defined by these regulations.
    The following requirements must be satisfied for a candidate to receive additional credits for examinations as described in the sub-sections of this regulation.
    The degree or credential must have been conferred, or the education or experience must have been completed no later than the thirtieth (30) day after the last date for filing applications for the examination unless the Director determines that a later date is more appropriate and specifies such later date in the announcement of the examination. For a continuous examination the eligibility date shall be the date on which the application is filed.
    An applicant may claim the additional credit at any time after the date that the examination is announced until 30 days after the Published List of Candidates is approved by the Director or his/her designee. If an eligible candidate does not request additional credits or does not submit a transcript or other required documentation until after certifications and appointments have been made, the granting of additional credits shall have no effect on prior certifications and appointments.
    An applicant must submit adequate documentation as required by the Office of Human Resources.

9.0664 - Additional Credits For Firefighter 1 Open Competitive Examinations. For open competitive examinations for the class of Firefighter announced after June 1, 2011, additional points will be added to the examination score of any candidate who has passed the open competitive examination and who is currently certified as a/an:
    Firefighter 1 by the Office of the State Fire Commissioner of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania;
    Emergency Medical Technician (Basic or Paramedic) by the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania
    Such candidates will be awarded:
    Two (2) points for certification as a Firefighter 1 and / or
    Three (3) points for certification as an Emergency Medical Technician.

It does..thanks! well..i guess i need to ace the exam...what's the legacy deal? does that only apply to the offspring of firefighters killed in the line of duty? my old man did 30 years and made it out in good shape...

MembersZone Subscriber

It does..thanks! well..i guess i need to ace the exam...what's the legacy deal? does that only apply to the offspring of firefighters killed in the line of duty? my old man did 30 years and made it out in good shape...
    7.10 - LEGACY PREFERENCE IN OPEN COMPETITIVE EXAMINATIONS FOR THE CHILDREN OF PHILADELPHIA FIREFIGHTERS OR POLICE OFFICERS WHO WERE KILLED OR DIED IN THE LINE OF DUTY. The children of Philadelphia Firefighters or Police Officers who were killed or died in the line of duty shall be accorded a preference in open competitive civil service entrance examinations. Candidates who qualify for this preference and who take and pass open competitive civil service examinations shall have ten points added to their final score. The candidate must successfully pass all parts of the examination before points are awarded.
    The Line Of Duty will be defined as working in an official capacity in one of the uniformed classes in the Police and Fire series of classes for the City of Philadelphia.
    The child of a Philadelphia Firefighter or Police Officer will be defined as biological and adopted children, stepchildren, and children to whom the Police Officer or Firefighter stood in loco parentis.
    Time limitations for claiming the preference, the procedure for establishing a claim for preference and the effect of late submission of proof of eligibility for preference on prior appointments and certification shall be the same as defined for Veterans' Preference in Regulations 7.051, 7.052 and 7.053.
    An applicant may claim preference at the appropriate place on the application for examination, or if the applicant fails to claim preference on the application, it may be claimed by submitting such claim in writing to the Director. Applicants who have claimed preference in a proper and timely manner must furnish documentary proof of their right to such preference before the preference will be granted. The following kinds of evidence will be accepted as documentation of right to preference:
    Documentary proof of relationship to the deceased parent.
    Death certificate of the parent.
    Such other proof as may be acceptable to the Director.
    Legacy Preference, properly claimed, may be granted at any time between the date the eligible list is established and the date the eligible list expires or is abolished.
    7.101 - LEGACY PREFERENCE IN OPEN COMPETITIVE EXAMINATIONS FOR THE GRANDCHILDREN OF PHILADELPHIA FIREFIGHTERS OR POLICE OFFICERS WHO WERE KILLED OR DIED IN THE LINE OF DUTY. For all eligible lists published on or after the date that this sub-section of Regulation 7.10 becomes effective, Legacy Preference as described above shall be granted to the grandchildren of Philadelphia Firefighters or Police Officers who were killed or died in the line of duty.
    The grandchild of a Philadelphia Firefighter or Police Officer will be defined as biological and adopted grandchildren, grand-stepchildren, and grandchildren to whom the Police Officer or Firefighter stood in loco parentis.
    Applicants who have claimed preference in a proper and timely manner must furnish documentary proof of their right to such preference before the preference will be granted. The following kinds of evidence will be accepted as documentation of right to preference:
    Documentary proof of relationship to the deceased grandparent.
    Death certificate of the grandparent.
    Such other proof as may be acceptable to the Director.
    All other provisions of Regulation 7.10 will apply to Regulation 7.101

MembersZone Subscriber

BTW, the Philadelphia Civil Service Regulations can be found here:
    http://www.phila.gov/personnel/webregs/index.htm

Thread Information