Like Tree365Likes

Thread: Philadelphia 2011

  1. #276
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    53

    Default

    Thanks guys, the car is not an issue I am going to be driving from Charleston SC to take the test. I just hope the weather holds up on my way there. I thought about flying in but what happens if and when my flight gets delayed... I am not taking any chances on missing the test. Its been almost ten years since the last time I experienced a Pa winter, I can actually say I am kind of looking forward to it.

  2. #277
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    96

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FireFuss View Post
    Make sure it's west of Philly and NOT West Philly!
    haha very good point

  3. #278
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Philly
    Posts
    389

    Default

    Study Sessions at Local 22 (5th & Willow) for FF Test:
    October 27-6pm
    October 30-4pm
    October 31-6pm
    November 1-6pm
    November 2-6pm
    November 6-4pm
    November 8-6pm
    November 13-4pm
    November 15-6pm
    November 17-6pm
    November 18-6pm
    Opinions expressed are mine alone, and do not necessarily reflect those of the Philadelphia Fire Department and/or IAFF Local 22.

  4. #279
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    89

    Wink

    Quote Originally Posted by mrpita View Post
    Study Sessions at Local 22 (5th & Willow) for FF Test:
    October 27-6pm
    October 30-4pm
    October 31-6pm
    November 1-6pm
    November 2-6pm
    November 6-4pm
    November 8-6pm
    November 13-4pm
    November 15-6pm
    November 17-6pm
    November 18-6pm
    The 17th and 18th are going to be a final exam so to speak.

  5. #280
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    96

    Default

    i know a few guys that went last night and said it was very helpful, hope to get down next week to help out

  6. #281
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    89

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by philly10 View Post
    i know a few guys that went last night and said it was very helpful, hope to get down next week to help out
    Oh yeah it was good.
    Last edited by Stogie81; 10-27-2011 at 02:51 PM.

  7. #282
    Forum Member
    CaptOldTimer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 1999
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    7,239

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FireFuss View Post
    Make sure it's west of Philly and NOT West Philly!
    My mistake, I should have spelled it out more. Maybe Berwyn, Radnor or King of Prussia and not West Philly.

    CFD8 Fly up guy, snow isn't nothing until mid winter. Besides they have lots of equipment to move the snow off runways and the highways too!!

    They are prepared for it.

    You'll be beat as heck driving up I-95 from Charleston to Philly! Not a peice of cake, even for those which are use to it.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

    Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

  8. #283
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    16

    Default

    Any educated guess when the PM exam would start?

  9. #284
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    228

    Default

    Just a guess, but probably 9 am for the morning session and 1 or 1:30 for the pm.

  10. #285
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    96

    Default

    An interesting PowerPoint from FPSI on Hiring the Most Qualified Firefighters .... While Avoiding (And Defending) Lawsuits.

    FPSI is the company the City has contracted with to administer this hiring test.


    pg 20 thru pg 36 in the power point presentation looks like some of the WSI (Work Style Inventory) stuff.....assessing individuals and how they will behave.

    It repeatedly talks of manipulation.

    It talks about KSAPC s (Knowledge, Skills, Ability, Personal Characteristics (Physical Requirements), discussing them as to whether they can be used, required or circumvented.

    Some examples from the slide show...

    Page 25
    Using test scores
    Ranking...assumes one applicant is reliably more qualified than the other.
    Banding...considers the unreliability of the test battery and "ties" applicants.
    Pass/fail cutoffs...treat all applicants as either "qualified" or "not qualified".

    Page 26
    Pass/Fail cutoffs
    Some major considerations:
    Not advised:
    *Using an arbitrary cutoff (e.g., 70%)
    *Using applicant scores to benchmark (e.g., setting cutoff scores at mean-SD of applicant scores)
    Advised:
    *Consider "Normal expectations of acceptable proficiency in the workplace"....usually requires SME-level (Subject Matter Expert) data or ratings
    #Applicants that can be feasibly processed
    Consider:
    *Is the test supported by content validity information or criterion-related information ?
    *How critical are the KSAs (Knowledge, Skill, Ability) measured ?
    *Does the test measure "baseline" or "differentiating" KSAs ?
    *How would current incumbents perform on this test ?
    They talk of 'cognitive' and 'personality' scores.

    Page 27
    Using Test Scores
    *Tests can be used on a pass/fail basis to ensure that candidates possess the minimum competency levels needed for the job.
    *Tests can be used in a ranked fashion whereby criterion-related validity evidence supports that higher test performance statistically predicts better job performance (or content validity can also be used
    *Tests can be used by weighting/combining multiple test scores whereby a "compensatory" or combined score is used.
    *Banding is a recommended "balanced" solution because it uses the test results in ways that are supportable by the tests themselves.


    Page 32
    Steps for Weighting Tests Using Content Validity Methods
    1. Select a panel of 4-12 Subject Matter Experts (SMEs) who are truly experts in the content and "functional areas" of the target position. Ensure diversity on the panel.
    2. Provide a copy of the Job Analysis for each SME. Be sure that the Job Analysis itemizes the various job duties and KSAPCs that are important or critical to the job.
    3. Provide each SME with a copy of each test (or a highly detailed description of the content of the test if confidentiality issues prohibit SMEs from viewing the actual test).
    4. Explain the confidential nature of the workshop, the overall goals and outcomes, and ask the SMEs to sign confidentiality agreements.
    5. Discuss and review with SMEs the content of each test and the KSAPCs measured by each. Also discuss the extent to which certain test may be better measures of certain KSAPCs than others. Factors such as the vulnerability of certai tests to fraud reliability issues and others should be discussed.
    6. Provide a survey to the SMEs that asks them to distribute 100 points among the tests that will be combined. Be sure that they consider the importance levels of the KSAPCs measured by the tests, and the job duties to which they are linked, when completing this step.
    7. Detect and remove outlier SMEs from the data set.
    8. Calculate the average weight for each test. These averages are the weights to use when combining the test into a composite score.


    Page 33
    Standardizing Scores
    Before individual test scores can be weighted and combined, they should be standard scored. This process normalizes the scores and is a necessary step to place different tests on a level playing field.
    Standardizing test scores is simple:
    -Convert the raw scores into Z scores by subtracting each applicant's score from the average (mean) score of all applicants and dividing this value by the standard deviation (of all applicant total scores).
    -Multiply the Z scores by the respective weights of the test companies and a final score for each applicant can then be calculated.
    They talk of 'cognitive' and 'personality' scores. (Is that Work Style Inventory terminology ?)

    These are a few of the pages.

    Just look at the convoluted language, the mathematical manipulation, and the overall mission of this company and it's process.
    They want to throw out the entire concept of competitiveness.
    Intelligence requirements have been relegated to a yet to be determined "minimum" level that completely dismisses/ignores all of the educational effort candidates have strived for their entire life.

    Standards aren't just being lowered. They're being thrown out.

    This is the goal in the hiring process ????

  11. #286
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    206

    Default

    Hey all. I was just wondering how long the study sessions at the Union Hall run? I am trying to make it down for a few but I work night shifts and am traveling a distance. Are they 1-2 hours? Thanks.

  12. #287
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    89

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Andyboyfire View Post
    Hey all. I was just wondering how long the study sessions at the Union Hall run? I am trying to make it down for a few but I work night shifts and am traveling a distance. Are they 1-2 hours? Thanks.
    I went to the first night and it was 6-7:45ish

  13. #288
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    38

    Default

    Not sure, good luck though
    Last edited by Tuscanini; 10-29-2011 at 11:46 AM.

  14. #289
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    29

    Default Wsi

    Does anyone have any info on the Work Styles Inventory (WSI) section of the test?

  15. #290
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    96

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by craigc View Post
    Does anyone have any info on the Work Styles Inventory (WSI) section of the test?
    why don't you look back through this thread or google it?

  16. #291
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    37

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by philly10 View Post
    Standards aren't just being lowered. They're being thrown out.

    This is the goal in the hiring process ????
    I was reading the same PowerPoint that you referenced. The introductory paragraph lists two goals, and neither of them is to hire qualified individuals:

    "This document includes the key strategies your fire department will need to stay EEO litigation free and maintain a balanced workforce. These two goals - reducing litigation and achieving a diverse workforce - are also related goals because departments that have proactive planes to build a diverse workforce also tend to be involved in fewer lawsuits."

    It's so shameless and transparent it's outrageous.

  17. #292
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    62

    Default

    Check your email folks, finally got the official invite to the written...

    Exam drops at 1330 , Philadelphia High School for Girls.

  18. #293
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    26

    Default

    Anybody else coming from pretty far away? I was thinking of maybe making a staright shot and heading straight to the test location as I'll be working friday and with an 8 hour drive, I'm not sure if there would even be time to get a hotel prior to the test. With limited parking it could be hectic come test day. It is interesting they are having the test the same weekend as the marathon that will probably have several thousand runners coming into town friday and saturday afternoon. So for those stayin in a hotel, it's probably a good idea to start on that asap

  19. #294
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    88

    Default

    Got my invite. Central High School at 13:30.

  20. #295
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Poughkeepsie NY
    Posts
    50

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bigandy View Post
    Got my invite. Central High School at 13:30.
    Same place and same time here!! Wonder how many people are going to show up...Hope its not like the 66k FDNY has ha

  21. #296
    Forum Member
    FWDbuff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Pee-Ayy!
    Posts
    7,401

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by runner32 View Post
    Anybody else coming from pretty far away? I was thinking of maybe making a staright shot and heading straight to the test location as I'll be working friday and with an 8 hour drive, I'm not sure if there would even be time to get a hotel prior to the test. With limited parking it could be hectic come test day. It is interesting they are having the test the same weekend as the marathon that will probably have several thousand runners coming into town friday and saturday afternoon. So for those stayin in a hotel, it's probably a good idea to start on that asap
    Not a good idea. First rule of test taking- be well-rested. You'll be falling asleep by question 14 if you drive 8 hours prior to the test. If you really want to be a Philly FF, take friday off. Drive out at a leisurely pace, and get a hotel room. Clear out the hotel room by 1130 saturday, take the test, and drive right home.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

  22. #297
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Philly
    Posts
    389

    Default

    Just be advised, there are 2 test sessions, morning and afternoon. Check your notices carefully.
    Opinions expressed are mine alone, and do not necessarily reflect those of the Philadelphia Fire Department and/or IAFF Local 22.

  23. #298
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    89

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mrpita View Post
    Just be advised, there are 2 test sessions, morning and afternoon. Check your notices carefully.
    Philadelphia High School for Girls 0830.

  24. #299
    Forum Member
    FWDbuff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Pee-Ayy!
    Posts
    7,401

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mrpita View Post
    Just be advised, there are 2 test sessions, morning and afternoon. Check your notices carefully.
    Good point Pita. And to expand further on what I said.....I bet most of the guys on here have taken other FD tests before or at least have studied some kind of test-taking prep manuals. Every one I have ever read always says the same thing: To successfully take a test, you need to be well rested.

    Guys coming in from out of town should get a hotel room, and also understand this is NOT the night to hang out in the bar in the lobby of the hotel until 0200. This is NOT the night to tie one on. This is NOT the night to explore the City's red light district. This is NOT the night to find a club. You are here to take a test. Get in bed by a decent hour, and get a full night's sleep. You getting a job depends on it.

    Also, some guys may be lured to accepting offers of sleeping and riding along at firehouses. While I dont see this happening too much in Philly, you never know......Don't be attracted to this. It is NOT what you want to do. Politely thank the offerer and ask for a raincheck on the ride along. We all know there are many distractions in firehouses, especially strange ones, that can constantly wake you up and detract from a restful night. I made the mistake of accepting a bed with Hartford, Ct Rescue 1 about 20 years ago....And didn't sleep the entire night. And paid for it with heavy eyes during the test the next day.

    Get into Philly early on Friday. Get your hotel room. Study maps to the test site, or even make the drive. Wake up early enough, have a light breakfast, and report to your test location EARLY. VOID YOUR BLADDER BEFORE THE TEST BEGINS. Every time I have ever taken a Philly test, there is always PLENTY of time to **** before you get to the assigned classroom. The last thing you want to do is to have to get up in the middle of the test. Of course with this new test thing, who knows what is going to happen.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

  25. #300
    Forum Member
    CaptOldTimer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 1999
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    7,239

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff View Post
    Good point Pita. And to expand further on what I said.....I bet most of the guys on here have taken other FD tests before or at least have studied some kind of test-taking prep manuals. Every one I have ever read always says the same thing: To successfully take a test, you need to be well rested.

    Guys coming in from out of town should get a hotel room, and also understand this is NOT the night to hang out in the bar in the lobby of the hotel until 0200. This is NOT the night to tie one on. This is NOT the night to explore the City's red light district. This is NOT the night to find a club. You are here to take a test. Get in bed by a decent hour, and get a full night's sleep. You getting a job depends on it.

    Also, some guys may be lured to accepting offers of sleeping and riding along at firehouses. While I dont see this happening too much in Philly, you never know......Don't be attracted to this. It is NOT what you want to do. Politely thank the offerer and ask for a raincheck on the ride along. We all know there are many distractions in firehouses, especially strange ones, that can constantly wake you up and detract from a restful night. I made the mistake of accepting a bed with Hartford, Ct Rescue 1 about 20 years ago....And didn't sleep the entire night. And paid for it with heavy eyes during the test the next day.

    Get into Philly early on Friday. Get your hotel room. Study maps to the test site, or even make the drive. Wake up early enough, have a light breakfast, and report to your test location EARLY. VOID YOUR BLADDER BEFORE THE TEST BEGINS. Every time I have ever taken a Philly test, there is always PLENTY of time to **** before you get to the assigned classroom. The last thing you want to do is to have to get up in the middle of the test. Of course with this new test thing, who knows what is going to happen.



    To add what he said and it was good. In my city, you do not get up and go take a leak during the test. If you get up, before you have finished the test to leave the room, you have finished! Keep on going as you will not be allowed to return in the test area once you walk out the door to go to the head!

    Also avoid any caffeine or adult beverages as well as the TV and computer, the night before. You want the get a good 8 hours of restful sleep the night before.

    Wear something that is comfortable, not FD attire, so you will be relaxed as it is winter in Philly and the heat in the building will be kicking!
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

    Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. World Of Fire Report: 12-11-05
    By PaulBrown in forum World of Fire Daily Report
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-17-2005, 07:23 PM
  2. World Of Fire Report: 11-30-05
    By PaulBrown in forum World of Fire Daily Report
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-02-2005, 09:49 PM
  3. World Of Fire Report: 11-23-05
    By PaulBrown in forum World of Fire Daily Report
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-24-2005, 08:04 AM
  4. World Of Fire Report: 11-17-05
    By PaulBrown in forum World of Fire Daily Report
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-18-2005, 06:57 PM
  5. World Of Fire Report: 11-12-05
    By PaulBrown in forum World of Fire Daily Report
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-14-2005, 07:22 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Log in

Click here to log in or register