Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 121 of 134 FirstFirst ... 2171111118119120121122123124131 ... LastLast
Results 2,401 to 2,420 of 2663
Like Tree365Likes

Thread: Philadelphia 2011

Forum Member

Yea the first lady i spoke with told me the same but she took my number and had a lady deborah call me back and she helped me out

Forum Member

Did she tell you a start date

Forum Member

I think the main people who handle the letters/list were out today. I was given solid info that the letters were priority one on Monday.

It's coming. I hope we all get a chance to prove ourselves.

Forum Member

I'll be waiting for the mailman next week... Time flying yall ready ??

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Maplephilly View Post
    I think the main people who handle the letters/list were out today. I was given solid info that the letters were priority one on Monday.

It's coming. I hope we all get a chance to prove ourselves.
    wouldn't surprise me if the ltters are printed and just waiting to be thrown into a mailbox. lol

Forum Member

Anyone know the percentage of people who don't pass the physical? I'm trying to gage my odds of getting a letter.

Forum Member

Monday will be two weeks until it start so maybe we will get them Monday, if they mail them Saturday.

Forum Member

They won't be mailed until Monday at the earliest. I think they'll be at our homes by Thursday. Just my guess.

Forum Member

Anyone know the percentage of people who don't pass the physical? I'm trying to gage my odds of getting a letter.
    Maplephilly, turn on your private messaging.

Forum Member

Fixxer clear your messages. Your box is full

Forum Member

They won't be mailed until Monday at the earliest. I think they'll be at our homes by Thursday. Just my guess.
    Ok fellas, if and when you get your letters, here are a few things that will help you out:
    Go to one of the local uniform shops and get 2 pairs of PFD pants and 2 PFD button down shirts. And for God's sake, do not let them sew a PFD patch on! Also, pick up a pair of Bates or Thorogood Lites. They hold a shine great and are comfortable to run in. The payless/target shoes are crap. Be early everyday. On time means you're late. Plan on getting there by 7 am. Always set a backup alarm. Always have a contingency plan in case your car doesn't start or you get a flat, etc. You will be given a Cadet Guidebook. Know it forwards and backwards. Most people who we walk to the gate lose their dream job because they failed to follow instructions. Follow every instruction and order to the letter. Never give up. Empty the tank, then give more. Good Luck!
    PFD188Hopeful likes this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Krb5 View Post
    Fixxer clear your messages. Your box is full
    Peculiar, should be fine now.

Forum Member

Hi Fixxer, is it true that there are no-shows each class? What's the average?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Fixxer View Post
    Ok fellas, if and when you get your letters, here are a few things that will help you out:
    Go to one of the local uniform shops and get 2 pairs of PFD pants and 2 PFD button down shirts. And for God's sake, do not let them sew a PFD patch on! Also, pick up a pair of Bates or Thorogood Lites. They hold a shine great and are comfortable to run in. The payless/target shoes are crap. Be early everyday. On time means you're late. Plan on getting there by 7 am. Always set a backup alarm. Always have a contingency plan in case your car doesn't start or you get a flat, etc. You will be given a Cadet Guidebook. Know it forwards and backwards. Most people who we walk to the gate lose their dream job because they failed to follow instructions. Follow every instruction and order to the letter. Never give up. Empty the tank, then give more. Good Luck!
    I was planning on getting dickies. Thanks for the info will look into it.

Forum Member

figured I'd quote Fixxer to bring this back to the front for those of us waiting for (hopefully) letters...

Quote Originally Posted by Fixxer View Post
    Your first tour will include administrative paperwork, general lecturing, platoon formations, locker assignments, etc. However, you will also begin training. You will begin CPR training and will more than likely have the written and practical test for AHA Certification on the last day of your first tour...that is the way the last 5 classes did it. As far as "alternates"... If people do not show up or leave the first day or two, the next people on the list will get a call. This will only happen for the first couple days....as you can see, you are taught a lot, constantly, from the first tour. Also, your EMS portion of the academy will last through early November...about 8 tours. At that time the paramedics will be replaced by field officers and you will begin fire training. Prepare for things to "change" when that switch occurs. Fire training and a tour of Haz-Mat training will run the remainder of the academy. Graduation is slated for the end January for both classes.

Good luck to all those who made it! Several good tips by others on here that you should follow.... Anyone who has any specific questions can feel free to PM me.
    can anyone who knows (Fixer, Mr. Pita, FWD} give a run down of what a typical day at the academy is like, like report time, an hour of pt, class for x hours, lunch, class, blah blah blah?

Forum Member

Fixxer, you're spot on with the uniforms. If you guys can afford the good shoes, get them. Your feet will thank you. I was dirt poor going through so I bought cheap-os and made them work.

Just to add to what he said: Make sure you bring spares of everything. There will be some day when you forget something at 0 dark hundred when you leave your house and you won't have time to go back and get it. Sooner or later you'll also have a classmate who will forget something and you can help them out. Bring an extra lunch item or two if you can because there will be days when people forget food or money for the gut truck. Keep a quick shine polish with you to touch up in the am if needed.

PFD188Hopeful - turn on your PM
    Last edited by Trapper John; 07-27-2013 at 06:11 AM. Reason: added stuff
    PFD188Hopeful likes this.
    Dr. John McIntyre M.D.
    Captain
    4077th Mobile Army Surgical Hospital

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Trapper John View Post
    PFD188Hopeful - turn on your PM
    Trapper...they;re on now. sorry, had to get to a desktop. wouldnt let me do it from my phone.

Forum Member

QUICK QUESTION IS THERE A PLACE DOWNTOWN THAT I CAN PURCHASE 2 pairs of PFD pants and 2 PFD button down shirt & Bates or Thorogood Lites ????

Forum Member

I know 911 safety equipment in norristown has everything you need

Forum Member

Last edited by deadbear271; 08-22-2013 at 10:05 PM.

Thread Information