Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 134 FirstFirst ... 3101112131415162363113 ... LastLast
Results 241 to 260 of 2663
Like Tree365Likes

Thread: Philadelphia 2011

  1. #241
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    4

    Default

    Thanks Buff, only reason i had doubt is because the last time I took the police test I ended up having to remind HR about my veterans preference; so I actually received two letters one saying I was ranked 300 something then one that said 2. Also with my wife working for the city, and the horror stories she relays, I wouldn't second guess an oversight like that. thanks again.


  2. #242
    Forum Member CaptOldTimer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 1999
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    7,199

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dragon Soldier View Post
    Thanks Buff, only reason i had doubt is because the last time I took the police test I ended up having to remind HR about my veterans preference; so I actually received two letters one saying I was ranked 300 something then one that said 2. Also with my wife working for the city, and the horror stories she relays, I wouldn't second guess an oversight like that. thanks again.
    And you want to work for Philly after hearing what your bride has said????
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

    Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

  3. #243
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptOldTimer View Post
    And you want to work for Philly after hearing what your bride has said????
    Well Cap, I'm always up for a challenge otherwise I never would have gotten married haha

  4. #244
    Forum Member FWDbuff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Pee-Ayy!
    Posts
    7,354

    Default

    Just posted on phillyfirenews facebook page:

    ATTENTION!! STUDY SESSIONS FOR THE UPCOMING PFD ENTRANCE EXAM ARE GOING TO START NEXT WED. NITE AT 6PM AT THE UNION HALL 5TH AND WILLOWS. WE HOPE TO HAVE ONE EVERY WEEKNIGHT SAME TIME AND PLACE. EACH NIGHT WE WILL GO OVER A DIFFERENT SECTION OF THE BOOKLET (ORIENTATION, HOMELAND SECURITY, TOOLS, SOPS, AND FIRST AID), DURING THE LAST WEEK PROBABLY THE WED NIGHT BEFORE THE TEST THEIR WILL BE ONE FINAL MAJOR REVIEW (PRACTICE TEST). ALL ARE WELCOME AND ENCOURAGED TO ATTEND, SPREAD THE WORD!! IF YOU OR SOMEONE YOU KNOW IS COMING BRING A PEN, PAPER, HIGHLIGHTER, AND YOUR TEST BOOKLET. THANKS AND SEE YOU THERE!
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

  5. #245
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    89

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff View Post
    Just posted on phillyfirenews facebook page:

    ATTENTION!! STUDY SESSIONS FOR THE UPCOMING PFD ENTRANCE EXAM ARE GOING TO START NEXT WED. NITE AT 6PM AT THE UNION HALL 5TH AND WILLOWS. WE HOPE TO HAVE ONE EVERY WEEKNIGHT SAME TIME AND PLACE. EACH NIGHT WE WILL GO OVER A DIFFERENT SECTION OF THE BOOKLET (ORIENTATION, HOMELAND SECURITY, TOOLS, SOPS, AND FIRST AID), DURING THE LAST WEEK PROBABLY THE WED NIGHT BEFORE THE TEST THEIR WILL BE ONE FINAL MAJOR REVIEW (PRACTICE TEST). ALL ARE WELCOME AND ENCOURAGED TO ATTEND, SPREAD THE WORD!! IF YOU OR SOMEONE YOU KNOW IS COMING BRING A PEN, PAPER, HIGHLIGHTER, AND YOUR TEST BOOKLET. THANKS AND SEE YOU THERE!
    Just got a call about this last night and I am there!

  6. #246
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    NYC/Washington Heights
    Posts
    87

    Default

    Does anyone know the exact address to this location? I'm coming from out of town, and I do not know the area. I also don't have a facebook account so I'm unable to see the post. Also, are these sessions being held by instructors from the exam company or fire department or is this just like a study group kind of thing between the test takers. Thank you for your help guys and good luck to all

  7. #247
    Forum Member FWDbuff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Pee-Ayy!
    Posts
    7,354

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FDNY-USCG View Post
    Does anyone know the exact address to this location? I'm coming from out of town, and I do not know the area. I also don't have a facebook account so I'm unable to see the post. Also, are these sessions being held by instructors from the exam company or fire department or is this just like a study group kind of thing between the test takers. Thank you for your help guys and good luck to all
    Which part of 5th and Willow confused you? And if you want an exact address, is it really THAT hard to google "Philadelphia Firefighters Union" or "Local 22" or "Philadelphia Firefighters?"

    I weep for the future.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

  8. #248
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    NYC/Washington Heights
    Posts
    87

    Default

    ***hole, What part of I'm not from the area don't you understand? Second how am I suppose to know what and where the "Philadelphia firefighters union" is located or "Local 22"? Is there really a reason for the attitude, and finally be grateful that you live in this country because I've been serving proudly for the last 5 years, and your little "weep for the future comment is very disrespectful. I guess it's nice to talk trash when you're on an online forum. Stop being a child and grow up

  9. #249
    Forum Member FWDbuff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Pee-Ayy!
    Posts
    7,354

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FDNY-USCG View Post
    ***hole, What part of I'm not from the area don't you understand? Second how am I suppose to know what and where the "Philadelphia firefighters union" is located or "Local 22"? Is there really a reason for the attitude, and finally be grateful that you live in this country because I've been serving proudly for the last 5 years, So what? Do you want a cookie? and your little "weep for the future comment is very disrespectful. If you took it personally thats your problem, the truth hurts, doesnt it? I guess it's nice to talk trash when you're on an online forum. Stop being a child and grow up
    Wowwwwww......What am I supposed to be impressed that you were in the pretend navy? Obviously those 5 years didn't teach you schit as far as "Attention to Detail." The message that was posted had plenty of clues in it that would have enabled anyone from out of town, even a condescending arrogant little puddle pirate would have been able to comb out enough information to be able to google the location of the test prep sessions. As previously stated- Which part of the phrase "5th and Willow Streets" didnt you understand? Additionally, the fact that it was being held at the Union Hall was mentioned- hence the suggested google search phrase "Philadelphia Firefighters Union." ATTENTION TO DETAIL, SON!

    What of the fact that the original message offered the fact that it would be at the UNION HALL???? Exactly which union hall would you think the FIREFIGHTERS TEST PREP session would be held at? The Ironworkers Union Hall? Or perhaps maybe the Philadelphia Orchestra's Union Hall? No- Wait.....I have it......You thought that it would be held at the Carpenters Union Hall.....That must be it.

    I weep for the future.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

  10. #250
    MembersZone Subscriber
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Philly
    Posts
    389

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FDNY-USCG View Post
    Does anyone know the exact address to this location? I'm coming from out of town, and I do not know the area. I also don't have a facebook account so I'm unable to see the post. Also, are these sessions being held by instructors from the exam company or fire department or is this just like a study group kind of thing between the test takers. Thank you for your help guys and good luck to all
    I'm in the union, and I don't know the exact address. But if you google "5th and Willow Philadelphia", the image below shows up under maps/street view. Which building looks like it'd be the firefighters' union hall? If you get the wrong one, don't bother taking the test. Or do you need your hand held that much?

    The study groups are being held at the hall, courtesy of current members volunteering to help. Good luck.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Opinions expressed are mine alone, and do not necessarily reflect those of the Philadelphia Fire Department and/or IAFF Local 22.

  11. #251
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    22

    Default

    i got an email this morning saying that the mini academy will be held on november 5th at the Pennsylvania Convention Center down on arch street

  12. #252
    Forum Member CaptOldTimer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 1999
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    7,199

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mrpita View Post
    I'm in the union, and I don't know the exact address. But if you google "5th and Willow Philadelphia", the image below shows up under maps/street view. Which building looks like it'd be the firefighters' union hall? If you get the wrong one, don't bother taking the test. Or do you need your hand held that much?

    The study groups are being held at the hall, courtesy of current members volunteering to help. Good luck.

    Ya beat me to it bro.


    5TH AND WILLOW
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

    Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

  13. #253
    Forum Member FWDbuff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Pee-Ayy!
    Posts
    7,354

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptOldTimer View Post
    Ya beat me to it bro.


    5TH AND WILLOW
    But "5th and Willow" was obviously too much for him to comprehend.......
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

  14. #254
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    96

    Default

    The latest from Phila. Human Resources is there are two written exams on the test date. The first part will be a multiple choice exam with questions from the study booklet. This portion will be scored pass/fail. A 70% score will not necessarily be passing. Human Resources stated that the vendor will determine the passing score.

    It's possible you could see something similar to our promotional written exams (e.g. a previous lieutenant exam with a passing raw score of 42)

    There is no information on the second part- the Work Style Inventory (WSI) questions. Rumor is there will be possibly 8-12 also multiple choice questions. Each candidate will get their score and subsequent ranking from this portion of the exam. The first part (study booklet) will carry no weight toward each candidates final score.

    Human Resources also mention the vendor will use some type of banding of scores while developing the hiring list.

    We have a request in to try and meet with a representative from the vendor to have questions answered prior to the exam. We'll keep everyone posted on the progress.

  15. #255
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    29

    Default

    Which portion of the test will the additional points (veterans, etc.) be added to?

  16. #256
    MembersZone Subscriber
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    62

    Default

    Thanks again, philly10

  17. #257
    Forum Member FWDbuff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Pee-Ayy!
    Posts
    7,354

    Default

    [QUOTE=usellout911;1301356]
    Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff View Post
    Wowwwwww......What am I supposed to be impressed that you were in the pretend navy? Obviously those 5 years didn't teach you schit as far as "Attention to Detail."


    Thats lousy man for real why disrespect people especially veterans
    I respect ALL veterans. Just not Puddle Pirates who feel the need to brag that they were in the service and I need to bow down and kiss their feet for it. Especially when their lack of attention to detail warranted the negative feedback that they got in the first place. Now why dont you run along and go back to the Jersey threads and be a bother over there like a good boy?
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

  18. #258
    Forum Member CaptOldTimer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 1999
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    7,199

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FDNY-USCG View Post
    Does anyone know the exact address to this location? I'm coming from out of town, and I do not know the area. I also don't have a facebook account so I'm unable to see the post. Also, are these sessions being held by instructors from the exam company or fire department or is this just like a study group kind of thing between the test takers. Thank you for your help guys and good luck to all


    Hey Coastie, you can you find it this way!



    Local 22 Philadelphia Fire Fighters Union

    415 North 5th Street
    Philadelphia, PA 19123-4001


    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

    Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

  19. #259
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    16

    Default

    FDNY-USCG go down to your local VA hospital and tell a Vet missing a limb that you want respect for serving this country. You volunteered for service in the military and now trying to work on a fire dept, itís not you that people respect itís the department and the past firefighters that made that dept what it is today. The fire dept is the same as the military; those who talk about the action they've seen are probably the ones in the rear with the gear.

  20. #260
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    96

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by craigc View Post
    Which portion of the test will the additional points (veterans, etc.) be added to?
    not sure i hear that it may be added at the end to your total score but again not really sure

    PEOPLE WHO HAVE QUESTIONS LIKE THIS SHOULD CALL PHILADELPHIA HUMAN RESOURCES AND DEMAND ANSWERS AND IF THEY DO NOT HAVE THEM AT FIRST JUST KEEP CALLING

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. World Of Fire Report: 12-11-05
    By PaulBrown in forum World of Fire Daily Report
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-17-2005, 07:23 PM
  2. World Of Fire Report: 11-30-05
    By PaulBrown in forum World of Fire Daily Report
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-02-2005, 09:49 PM
  3. World Of Fire Report: 11-23-05
    By PaulBrown in forum World of Fire Daily Report
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-24-2005, 08:04 AM
  4. World Of Fire Report: 11-17-05
    By PaulBrown in forum World of Fire Daily Report
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-18-2005, 06:57 PM
  5. World Of Fire Report: 11-12-05
    By PaulBrown in forum World of Fire Daily Report
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-14-2005, 07:22 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts