Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 134 FirstFirst ... 4111213141516172464114 ... LastLast
Like Tree365Likes

Thread: Philadelphia 2011

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by philly10 View Post
    The latest from Phila. Human Resources is there are two written exams on the test date. The first part will be a multiple choice exam with questions from the study booklet. This portion will be scored pass/fail. A 70% score will not necessarily be passing. Human Resources stated that the vendor will determine the passing score.

It's possible you could see something similar to our promotional written exams (e.g. a previous lieutenant exam with a passing raw score of 42)

There is no information on the second part- the Work Style Inventory (WSI) questions. Rumor is there will be possibly 8-12 also multiple choice questions. Each candidate will get their score and subsequent ranking from this portion of the exam. The first part (study booklet) will carry no weight toward each candidates final score.

Human Resources also mention the vendor will use some type of banding of scores while developing the hiring list.

We have a request in to try and meet with a representative from the vendor to have questions answered prior to the exam. We'll keep everyone posted on the progress.

Below is what I could find about the WSI portion of the test.

The Work Styles Inventory (WSI) is a new product now available from Firefighter Selection, Inc. The WSI has been in development for three years. Several Ph.D. and graduate-level professionals conducted extensive research to identify and measure key traits that are needed for predicting job success as a firefighter. This test is designed to measure traits required for maintaining effective relations with co-workers in the station and while working with the public. To help make the WSI more effective, it was designed to measure these critical traits in ways that are less obvious than other personality-type tests. The WSI offers a new dimension to screening entry-level firefighter applicants and contains questions that will predict your applicantsí performance in the following areas:

Effective teamwork while co-habitating in the station environment
    Thoroughness and attention to detail
    Commitment and devotion
    Receiving and responding to orders or instructions
    Fire suppression, rescue, and forcible entry duties
    EMS duties
    Inspection duties
    Station and apparatus/equipment maintenance duties (while working independently)
    Station and apparatus/equipment maintenance duties (while working with others)
    Overall job performance (the sum of all the above)

The WSI is a 40-minute paper-and-pencil examination, and is recommended that it be combined with other written tests. If the WSI is used in combination with other written firefighter tests, weights can be created based on the score achieved on the test. If the WSI is not combined with other written tests, the WSI can be used to create band scores of applicants who pass an initial written test.

Forum Member

The WSI is a piece of cake if you have taken one before. Keep your answers consistent throughout the whole exam. You’ll see the same question several times (worded differently). Always answer to the extreme, either positive or negative for each trait or scenario….do not answer in the middle.

MembersZone Subscriber

I actually spoke with a rep from FPSI. She was rather nice and also stated that the WSI is an easy test to take.

Quote Originally Posted by usellout911 View Post
    WOW demeaning as hell losing a limb is bad. Ever heard of PTSD dude.
    Just a guess here but your mother let you eat a lot of lead paint chips as a child, didn't she?
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

Last edited by Ladders 4; 10-25-2011 at 01:54 PM.

Forum Member

...oh boy

Forum Member

Gentleman,

We are clearly talking about two different issues: the location of the study session and the location of the test itself. I am clear on the location of the practice exam and the study sessions. The question that still remains, however, where is the exam itself being held? I have personally canvassed every correspondence with the city, the website, and the application only to find the very vague information discussed above. Now, we do know that the test will be held on the 19th (per the PFD website) but can anyone not intent on being an *** tell me where and at what time the test will be held? Thanks to the people that actually want to help out.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by CFD8 View Post
    Gentleman,

We are clearly talking about two different issues: the location of the study session and the location of the test itself. I am clear on the location of the practice exam and the study sessions. The question that still remains, however, where is the exam itself being held? I have personally canvassed every correspondence with the city, the website, and the application only to find the very vague information discussed above. Now, we do know that the test will be held on the 19th (per the PFD website) but can anyone not intent on being an *** tell me where and at what time the test will be held? Thanks to the people that actually want to help out.

What did HR say when you called?

Gentleman,

If history repeats itself, ONE of the TWO testing locations will be at Central High School, located at Ogontz and Olney Avenues in North Philadelphia. The other location, which slips my memory at this time, is in West Philadelphia I think.

Try and set up carpools or learn Philadelphia's public transit system as parking at Central is all on the street and it is very limited at best.

Forum Member

Thanks for the responses, I called the HR for the fire department and they told me to contact central personnel, I called and no one answered. I tried to leave a message but the number given to me had a full voicemail box. I will let you guys or gals know something once I find out.

Forum Member

a letter should be sent out closer to the test date that will tell you where the test will be held and what time you will be taking it there are normaly two times for the test one in the AM and one in the PM due to the volume of applicants. get there early like real early there will be a line a few city blocks long. also it will yell you that you are not permitted any study material inside the building so if you want take notes to look over while waiting and throw them out before going in

Forum Member

Thanks Philly 10, I thought that I was losing my mind. I guess I will get a hotel in a central location. Or do you have any sugestions?

Thanks Philly 10, I thought that I was losing my mind. I guess I will get a hotel in a central location. Or do you have any sugestions?
    If staying downtown (locally known as "Center City") will not break your wallet, stay in Center City.

If you have a budget, stay in any of the hotels located just outside the City in Bensalem, Pa (Bucks County.) There is a Red Roof, a McIntosh Inn, two Holiday Inns, a few others. Avoid the Knights Inn on Route 1 (Roosevelt Blvd.) Bensalem has easy access to I-95, I-476 and Route 1.

Bensalem is an easy drive to the probable test location (Central HS.)

You can also stay just south of the City near the Airport in Delaware County, although the drive to Central HS will be a bit longer and more involved.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff View Post
    If staying downtown (locally known as "Center City") will not break your wallet, stay in Center City.

If you have a budget, stay in any of the hotels located just outside the City in Bensalem, Pa (Bucks County.) There is a Red Roof, a McIntosh Inn, two Holiday Inns, a few others. Avoid the Knights Inn on Route 1 (Roosevelt Blvd.) Bensalem has easy access to I-95, I-476 and Route 1.

Bensalem is an easy drive to the probable test location (Central HS.)

You can also stay just south of the City near the Airport in Delaware County, although the drive to Central HS will be a bit longer and more involved.
    he is right it just depends on if you are renting a car or not i would stay in the city regardless just because there are mere places to eat, drink and so on but it will cost a lil more. if you are renting a car (i would get one with a GPS) you can stay out of the city, but just wait till the letter comes then google the area

Quote Originally Posted by philly10 View Post
    he is right it just depends on if you are renting a car or not i would stay in the city regardless just because there are mere places to eat, drink and so on but it will cost a lil more. if you are renting a car (i would get one with a GPS) you can stay out of the city, but just wait till the letter comes then google the area
    Be sure you don't stay over in Camden or any where in Jersey either!!

Stay in PA, west of Philly!
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Forum Member

Thanks guys, the car is not an issue I am going to be driving from Charleston SC to take the test. I just hope the weather holds up on my way there. I thought about flying in but what happens if and when my flight gets delayed... I am not taking any chances on missing the test. Its been almost ten years since the last time I experienced a Pa winter, I can actually say I am kind of looking forward to it.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FireFuss View Post
    Make sure it's west of Philly and NOT West Philly!
    haha very good point

MembersZone Subscriber

Study Sessions at Local 22 (5th & Willow) for FF Test:
    October 27-6pm
    October 30-4pm
    October 31-6pm
    November 1-6pm
    November 2-6pm
    November 6-4pm
    November 8-6pm
    November 13-4pm
    November 15-6pm
    November 17-6pm
    November 18-6pm
    Opinions expressed are mine alone, and do not necessarily reflect those of the Philadelphia Fire Department and/or IAFF Local 22.

Forum Member

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by mrpita View Post
    Study Sessions at Local 22 (5th & Willow) for FF Test:
    October 27-6pm
    October 30-4pm
    October 31-6pm
    November 1-6pm
    November 2-6pm
    November 6-4pm
    November 8-6pm
    November 13-4pm
    November 15-6pm
    November 17-6pm
    November 18-6pm
    The 17th and 18th are going to be a final exam so to speak.

Forum Member

i know a few guys that went last night and said it was very helpful, hope to get down next week to help out

Thread Information