Like Tree365Likes

Thread: Philadelphia 2011

  1. #401
    Forum Member
    FWDbuff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Pee-Ayy!
    Posts
    7,430

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Disco_Stew View Post
    Anyways, hope your satisfied with my answer, Buff. If you, or anyone else have any personal questions (because I'm pretty sure I can't answer any questions, in regards to the test), then ask away.
    I hope that you use your own merit and hard work to get hired, not the race card. Good luck to you!
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

  2. #402
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    26

    Default

    ........................
    Last edited by SVandro; 03-26-2012 at 08:28 PM.

  3. #403
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    109

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Stogie81 View Post
    Get the facts straight. You don't get ANY points for being a resident, it is more or less a tie breaker.

    PREFERENCE FOR PHILADELPHIA RESIDENTS: Candidates who have maintained a bona fide residence in Philadelphia for at least one year prior to the date of the civil service examination shall have priority over all other persons receiving an identical test score.

    To receive such preference, candidates must respond to the question regarding residence when they appear to take the examination and to the supplemental question regarding residence later in this form.

    If candidates are required to appear to compete in an examination, the response on that day will be used to determine eligibility for preference for residents.

    If the examination is a training and experience evaluation, the response on this application will be used to determine eligibility for preference for residents.

    If an applicant does not respond to the appropriate residence question, it will be assumed that the applicant does not qualify for residence preference. Eligibility for residence preference must be determined by the date of the test administration. No requests for residence preference will be granted after the test administration.
    Using the preference for residents, I will be very surprised if any non-residents will be hired.

    Let me explain.

    The first test (based upon the booklet) is pass/fail. If one passed that test, then the Work Styles Inventory test (the second part of the test) is marked.

    According to Fire Selection Inc.'s website:
    The WSI is a 40-minute paper-and-pencil examination, and is recommended that it be combined with other written tests. If the WSI is used in combination with other written firefighter tests, weights can be created based on the score achieved on the test. If the WSI is not combined with other written tests, the WSI can be used to create band scores of applicants who pass an initial written test.

    Well, the WSI was not combined with other written tests. Therefore, band scores of applicants will be created.

    It was stated at the mini-academy that four (4) bands of scores would be produced. Since approximately 16,000 applicants were sent emails to appear for the test, say for argument sake that 12,000 showed up, and 8,000 passed the initial test. That would create bands of approximately 2,000 people each.

    In other words, say that the upper band was from the top mark (possibly 130 - 10 points for veterans preferance, 10 points for being a Philadelphia Fire Dept. paramedic, 5 points for FF1 and 5 points for EMT, coupled with a perfect score) to say, a 90. Everyone that scored in that range would be considered tied.

    Since all Philadelphia residents get preference in a tie, they would go to the top of that band. The other tie-breaking method is a so-called computer generated "random number". So all Philadelphia residents would be selected via random number. When all Philadelphia residents in the top band are selected, non-Philadelphia residents would be selected via random number.

    Some way to hire for a fire department, wouldn't you say?

    Start getting the lawsuits organized.

  4. #404
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    10

    Default

    well i think i got my questions answered, i hope.. now i just hope i get that big much awaited interview, good luck to everyone else too!

  5. #405
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    96

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BigGuyPhilly View Post
    Using the preference for residents, I will be very surprised if any non-residents will be hired.

    Let me explain.

    The first test (based upon the booklet) is pass/fail. If one passed that test, then the Work Styles Inventory test (the second part of the test) is marked.

    According to Fire Selection Inc.'s website:
    The WSI is a 40-minute paper-and-pencil examination, and is recommended that it be combined with other written tests. If the WSI is used in combination with other written firefighter tests, weights can be created based on the score achieved on the test. If the WSI is not combined with other written tests, the WSI can be used to create band scores of applicants who pass an initial written test.

    Well, the WSI was not combined with other written tests. Therefore, band scores of applicants will be created.

    It was stated at the mini-academy that four (4) bands of scores would be produced. Since approximately 16,000 applicants were sent emails to appear for the test, say for argument sake that 12,000 showed up, and 8,000 passed the initial test. That would create bands of approximately 2,000 people each.

    In other words, say that the upper band was from the top mark (possibly 130 - 10 points for veterans preferance, 10 points for being a Philadelphia Fire Dept. paramedic, 5 points for FF1 and 5 points for EMT, coupled with a perfect score) to say, a 90. Everyone that scored in that range would be considered tied.

    Since all Philadelphia residents get preference in a tie, they would go to the top of that band. The other tie-breaking method is a so-called computer generated "random number". So all Philadelphia residents would be selected via random number. When all Philadelphia residents in the top band are selected, non-Philadelphia residents would be selected via random number.

    Some way to hire for a fire department, wouldn't you say?

    Start getting the lawsuits organized.
    they may not be banding ppl that way since the WSI part of the test is basicly a personality test they may be putting bands together based on that so if you have a 99 from the written and someone has a 70 you may be in the same band do to the fact that you both like action movies as was one of the ?'s

  6. #406
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    109

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by philly10 View Post
    they may not be banding ppl that way since the WSI part of the test is basicly a personality test they may be putting bands together based on that so if you have a 99 from the written and someone has a 70 you may be in the same band do to the fact that you both like action movies as was one of the ?'s
    The Test Preparation Manual (TPM) Test is PASS/FAIL only. It is not used or combined with the WSI test to determine one's score.

    The Work Styles Inventory (WSI) Test that you refer to as a personality test IS scored. If the WSI is not combined with other written tests (as is the case here), the WSI can be used to create band scores of applicants who pass an initial written test.

    Unfortunately, it is what it is - Not what you want it to be.

  7. #407
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nutts09 View Post
    Where was THIS in the basement? And how do you know who was who? I saw a small table manned by three ladies accepting and denying certs. They were denying nationally accredited FF certs because they were not specifically PA certified certs---telling guys "I only know that it should say PA certified so I can't accept it."

    Nevertheless, I handed in my PA EMT cert and they were like, "ok thanks, bye"... no confirmation, no type of receipt .... I guess I can only hope it shows come results time.
    Yeah sam I was in the same basement as you. Here is how I came to my hypothosis. I saw a couple of the same people in the basement who were coordinating the operation on my floor as we were filing in the door. Those same people were in the basement, not in the classrooms. (i finished my test in 1/2 hour) I only assume that they were the HMFIC of the test. The little black dude in the red sweater with the walkie, was the coordinator for this job (FF) classification. I asked him who he was....and asking people who they are instead of assuming there were just "3 old ladies" .....one of those old ladies could be the chief administrative asisstant for PFD or the manager of HR. You never know.

    The potential testing of 15,000 people is a big operation to coordinate with just bottom ladder 2 year tenured personnel. There were high ranking bosses there dude, no question about that.

    As for the collection of certs and no confirmation. I agree that's was a little sketchy, but I assume at some point during the process, before the academy, they will check your original hard copy certs for valididty. I think we already have the credits applied tentatively just from the application, but not officially ranked. Official acceptance and is dependent and held until the PFD background check is complete. They assume people lie on applications so maybe this is an honesty check. Candidates are always lost during background checks, it's the way of public safety sector jobs.
    Last edited by hemsparamedic; 11-23-2011 at 09:43 PM.

  8. #408
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by philly10 View Post
    my first ? is why do you keep saying that you took the test on "Sunday" I didn't think that there was any testing on sundy. Second yes you do get put into the squad rotation right away but you are not allowed to drive until you are qualified you should begin driver training right away on the engine DPOP and on the ladder TILLER also there are no FF paramedics in the city once you cross over you are no longer considered a medic and are only allowed to provide BLS care so i would check your source on those previouse statements
    OK good to know i meant saturday the 19th....I am a retard.

    on the second dis' I know that paramedics don;t provide ALS intervention while working on fire supression units. I should have been more clear. however with all do respect, PFD does have FF paramedics. Once you clear probation you can work OT on an ALS/medic bus..correct>? so if one is working as a FF and as paramedic for the same FIRE department, doesn't that make that employee a FF PM? In addition I was under the impression that the level of EMT certification is also printed and displayed on most uniform items either by name plate or patch or helmet sticker. Maybe not FF PM by specific duty assignment but FF or PM by specific duty and by title on PFD uniform.
    Last edited by hemsparamedic; 11-23-2011 at 10:08 PM.

  9. #409
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff View Post
    If ALL you guys dont organize and file a lawsuit, you are all a bunch of pansies.
    You know what? you come accross on this thing (almost the same way on every board and discussion you put your 2 cents in on) as giant dooshe bag, lawsuit happy, union highbred and you should really stop trying to play the big tough bad-a@# Philly firefighter. You seem to have a problem with the city operations and the fire department administration. You are probably the farthest thing from a tough guy because you whine so much. I have know doubt you try to stir up lawsuits and class action suits so you can sit back and watch people sweat and be miserable so you can feel good about yourself. It's obvious you have a hard-on for everyone that might conflict with your opinion. It's also obvious you have an issue with EMS. So all I can say is quit being a D(ck because some day you may need that [as you put it] "paramagician beast" and it may be me about to stick a 14 gauge EJ in your neck to replace some of the fluids you lost after getting a philly style-tune-up from one of these people/city departments/social demographics/or races you talk so much sh&T about...

    And face facts FF tough guy :fire supression does't bring in alot of money nor does it generate the statistics it once did...EMS jobs account for roughly 70% of total PFD runs. EMS also generates revenue for the city in much greater capacity then the fire side. you get paid by the city. It's simple logic homeboy. You are as blind as you are brain washed if you don;t think EMS statistics are preventing more brownouts and station closures then there already are. EMS and paramedics have probably saved your job (and most definitely pay scale) and will no doubt someday save your A#$ when you get knocked the F out. so show some respect. My guess is you run your mouth behind a screen name because you are a miserable crusty old man that loves to stir the pot but doesn't have the nads to come out from behind the keyboard. Don't call me a pansie without having the Vig to back it up.
    Last edited by hemsparamedic; 11-24-2011 at 04:42 AM.

  10. #410
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    96

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hemsparamedic View Post
    OK good to know i meant saturday the 19th....I am a retard.

    on the second dis' I know that paramedics don;t provide ALS intervention while working on fire supression units. I should have been more clear. however with all do respect, PFD does have FF paramedics. Once you clear probation you can work OT on an ALS/medic bus..correct>? so if one is working as a FF and as paramedic for the same FIRE department, doesn't that make that employee a FF PM? In addition I was under the impression that the level of EMT certification is also printed and displayed on most uniform items either by name plate or patch or helmet sticker.
    no there are not FF paramedics once you cross over to the fire side you are no longer classifed as a medic any overtime in the squad is BLS only so that does not make anyone a FF medic. As for the name plate only medics have the star of life on their collars and they have blue helmets FF do not have any classification on thier uniform accept for company and name but there is an EMS sticker that goes on the helmets but not every EMT puts them on so with all do respect you are wrong

  11. #411
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by philly10 View Post
    no there are not FF paramedics once you cross over to the fire side you are no longer classifed as a medic any overtime in the squad is BLS only so that does not make anyone a FF medic. As for the name plate only medics have the star of life on their collars and they have blue helmets FF do not have any classification on thier uniform accept for company and name but there is an EMS sticker that goes on the helmets but not every EMT puts them on so with all do respect you are wrong
    roger that. thanks for the clarification. i was told that paramedics can work on ALS squad as part of overtime as long as they have cleared medical command in philly. but ok

  12. #412
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FireFuss View Post
    If you maintain your medic, you can work at outside employment as a paramedic. Philly medics who cross over to the fire side have to maintain EMT and work on BLS squads. Once they become firefighters they LOSE medical command with the city of Phila and CAN NOT operate in that function while on duty. THERE IS NO SUCH RANK AS FF/PM.

    Like I said before, anyone can work outside employment as a medic, nurse, or even a doctor. No matter what your level of EMS training, as a firefighter you are only allowed to operate on duty as an EMT.
    thank you for the info i appreciate your time. glad i have a better understanding. by-the-by do you have any doctors in the ranks?
    Last edited by hemsparamedic; 11-23-2011 at 10:35 PM.

  13. #413
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    207

    Default

    Is anyone really sure how this banding thing will work...all I hear i rumors?

  14. #414
    Forum Member
    FWDbuff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Pee-Ayy!
    Posts
    7,430

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hemsparamedic View Post
    You know what? you come accross on this thing (almost the same way on every board and discussion you put your 2 cents in on) as giant dooshe bag, lawsuit happy, union highbred and you should really stop trying to play the big tough bad-a@# Philly firefighter. You seem to have a problem with the city operations and the fire department administration. You are probably the farthest thing from a tough guy because you whine so much. I have know doubt you try to stir up lawsuits and class action suits so you can sit back and watch people sweat and be miserable so you can feel good about yourself. It's obvious you have a hard-on for everyone that might conflict with your opinion. It's also obvious you have an issue with EMS. So all I can say is quit being a D(ck because some day you may need that [as you put it] "paramagician beast" and it may be me about to stick a 14 gauge EJ in your neck to replace some of the fluids you lost after getting a philly style-tune-up from one of these people/city departments/social demographics/or races you talk so much sh&T about...

    And face facts FF tough guy :fire supression does't bring in alot of money nor does it generate the statistics it once did...EMS jobs account for roughly 70% of total PFD runs. EMS also generates revenue for the city in much greater capacity then the fire side. you get paid by the city. It's simple logic homeboy. You are as blind as you are brain washed if you don;t think EMS statistics are preventing more brownouts and station closures then there already are. EMS and paramedics have probably saved your job (and most definitely pay scale) and will no doubt someday save your A#$ when you get knocked the F out. so show some respect. My guess is you run your mouth behind a screen name because you are a miserable crusty old man that loves to stir the pot but doesn't have the nads to come out from behind the keyboard. Don't call me a pansie without having the Vig to back it up.
    Hahahahahaha I see someone took a tough pill. Please dont hit me with your purse. You seem to have come to certain conclusions about me.....Couldnt be any more wrong about them than you are. On the other hand, using this post and your very first one I have come to conclusions about you......You are nothing but one of the stereotypical "Glory Medics" who think that they and EMS are the second coming of Christ. You have to post your resume for everyone to see, and have to shout "Behold me, for I am a Paragod" from the highest buildings. You are incredulous when someone tells you flat out that you are wrong about something.

    Query: Why leave San Diego as a FF/PM when the potential to make so much more money there than you could ever dream in Philly? The guys there finall have enough of your bullschit and run you out?

    Lawsuit happy, yes thats me. If you would reverse your cranial-rectal inversion for two seconds (you should know what that is, you are a Paragod) you could do some research and find out about the hiring practices of the last two administrations of the Philadelphia Fire Department, more so the current administration.....You know what? nevermind that, just do some research on the diciplinary practices of the current administration and you will see that any caucasian member of the Fire Department cant and wont get a fair shake. I'll toss you a bone: google "Battalion Chief John Grillone." The Current admin of the Fire Department has made it painfully clear that they will do whatever they can to discipline any caucasian member to the fullest extent they can for minor infractions, all while totally sweeping infractions by black members of the department under the carpet.

    The current admin of both the Fire Department and the City have made it painfully clear that they only want to hire "The Preferred Demographic" and will do it at any cost- even if it means dumbing down the test, using little to no physical standards (Hey Fuss or Pita, how about telling some stories about PT during the last few Academy classes?) and even hiring candidates with criminal records. The moral of the story here California Boy is that you dont know jack schit about what happens in Philly or the politics behind what happens. Here's another bone for you: Google "Philadelphia Fire Department Consent Decree."

    I started this thread in the hopes that everyone could come on here and share information in order to promote a colorblind, merit-based test and hiring process. Unfortunately, since the City is hell bent on hiring "The Preferred Demographic." What exactly would you like me to call them? Pancakes? Waffles? How about "The african americans that the administration only wants to hire?" This whole new testing process has been a joke from the minute it was created (interestingly enough immediately following the court-ordered dismissal of the consent decree) and I predict it will eventually collapse on itself in an avalanche of lawsuits. But it will be "All systems normal" down at City Hall and Third and Spring Garden- The mayor wont care about the lawsuits as they will only grant him an excuse not to hire, to continue to use overtime to fill vacancies, and then blame it on "the greedy firefighters and the union."

    You couldnt be more wrong about me. The funny thing is, that if you knew me, you would know that I have zero dogs in this fight. So get the sand out of your vagina, do some research about the City, the FD and the politics driving them and take the suggestion that you might want to reserve further comment until you have some knowledge of the situation at hand. Vig? Anytime you want to meet up you just let me know.

    Have a nice day!
    Last edited by FWDbuff; 11-24-2011 at 10:11 AM.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

  15. #415
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    109

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Andyboyfire View Post
    Is anyone really sure how this banding thing will work...all I hear i rumors?
    Well, you could do some research yourself.

    Go to http://www.phila.gov/phoneDir/

    At the upper right-hand side of the page, there are two drop-down boxes underneath "Search by Department Name". Select "Office of Human Resources" from the top drop-down box.

    Start calling.

    You might also want to try email. The email addresses, for the most part, are the persons first name . last name @phila.gov. e.g. Clark.Kent@phila.gov

    Anyone getting substantive answers, please post here.

    Happy Thanksgiving to all!

  16. #416
    Forum Member
    FWDbuff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Pee-Ayy!
    Posts
    7,430

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BigGuyPhilly View Post
    Well, you could do some research yourself.

    Go to http://www.phila.gov/phoneDir/

    At the upper right-hand side of the page, there are two drop-down boxes underneath "Search by Department Name". Select "Office of Human Resources" from the top drop-down box.

    Start calling.

    You might also want to try email. The email addresses, for the most part, are the persons first name . last name @phila.gov. e.g. Clark.Kent@phila.gov

    Anyone getting substantive answers, please post here.

    Happy Thanksgiving to all!
    Once again, I highly recommend that anyone with questions should send them in writing, via registered mail with a return receipt. That way there is a paper trail that cannot be denied- so that later on when the answers change (and believe me they probably will) you have proof. Also they cannot dodge the questions- you have the proof that you send them in. PAPER TRAIL PAPER TRAIL PAPER TRAIL!!!!!
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

  17. #417
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    33

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hemsparamedic View Post
    Yeah sam I was in the same basement as you. Where you? What HS were you at and what time? Here is how I came to my hypothosis. I saw a couple of the same people in the basement who were coordinating the operation on my floor as we were filing in the door. Those same people were in the basement, not in the classrooms. (i finished my test in 1/2 hour) I only assume that they were the HMFIC of the test. The little black dude in the red sweater with the walkie, was the coordinator for this job (FF) classification. I asked him who he was....and asking people who they are instead of assuming there were just "3 old ladies" .....one of those old ladies could be the chief administrative asisstant for PFD or the manager of HR. You never know. No one here is assuming, bro, except you (And from above, I quote: "I only assume that they were the HMFIC of the test.") And I didn't say anything about any "old ladies." You should stop putting words in people's mouths. Bad habit. All I am saying is, in my classroom where I took the test, the proctor had written Central Highschool on the board for us to copy on the answer sheet. We were at Philly HS for Girls. When we corrected her, she said, "Oh I am usually at Central..." So I do not think she was from FPSI, for what it's worth.

    The potential testing of 15,000 people is a big operation to coordinate with just bottom ladder 2 year tenured personnel. There were high ranking bosses there dude, no question about that. I'm sure there were? And....?

    As for the collection of certs and no confirmation. I agree that's was a little sketchy, but I assume at some point during the process, before the academy, they will check your original hard copy certs for valididty. I think we already have the credits applied tentatively just from the application, but not officially ranked. Official acceptance and is dependent and held until the PFD background check is complete. They assume people lie on applications so maybe this is an honesty check. Candidates are always lost during background checks, it's the way of public safety sector jobs.
    As you put it, this ain't my first rodeo, either, my friend. And I find it kind of suspicious that with your self-proclaimed experience of incredible magnitude and superior resume that you keep job-hopping across the country... But whatever, I could give two ****s. It's also kind of funny how you keep telling guys WHO ARE ON PFD what their EMS system and rotation is when they keep telling you no... Another boyscout know-it-all...great.

    Further, I agree that EMS is extremely important. But becoming a medic just to get the job is not good advice. This is becoming the worst trend in the Fire Service. Guys who go get their medic certs just to get hired and they're friggin dangerous in the field. I work with them all the time and it is scary. If you do not want to be a medic DO NOT BECOME ONE. Good luck, hems, regardless.

  18. #418
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    121

    Default

    I was totally in that class where she wrote Central on the board but we were in Girls High. First floor, afternoon exam right? That was ridicilous. To clear it up, the test was proctored by Philadelphia public school teachers. If you couldn't tell that, then your clearly not from around here.

  19. #419
    Forum Member
    FWDbuff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Pee-Ayy!
    Posts
    7,430

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nutts09 View Post
    . And I find it kind of suspicious that with your self-proclaimed experience of incredible magnitude and superior resume that you keep job-hopping across the country...
    Yep. This.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

  20. #420
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FireFuss View Post
    This is absolutely WRONG.

    First of all, a FIRE DEPARTMENT could never make money for a city with suppression calls. We don't bill people for putting out their house if its on fire... we USED to in the 17-1800s but not anymore.

    Secondly, everyone though that EMS was to be the savior of the fire service since you CAN bill people or their insurance and bring revenue for the city. Unfortunately, in the city of Philadelphia, there is a collection rate of less than 25% of transports. Most of these scumbags use us as a glorified taxi ride (since it's against the law for us to refuse transporting a TUMMY ACHE!!). I'm not sure if I've ever gotten a real name or address unless I get an ID card or license. There are so many more reasons the city doesn't collect, a lot having to do with the inept administration with over 100 deputy mayors doing God knows what. But I digress...

    The PFD as a whole, fire and EMS, is not designed to earn money. Even with how badly the funding is run, it is THE MOST EFFICIENT city department in Philadelphia. We provide the most cost effective service compared to any other city department. Streets/Corrections/Water dept(JOKE!), we're run better than all of them. That is a sad sad fact.

    But the saddest fact is that there is an administration with an awful agenda in charge right now. They turn their cheek when the mayor says to close companies, but will fight to the end to make sure the FD "Looks like Philly". WTF?! Show me another department as big as Philly that doesn't have some sort of physical entry test. This new written is obviously a way for the admin to "PICK" who they want to hire regardless of anything but what they're looking for.

    I hope for the best, that more good guys will get on and be able to work an entire career with the city.... There's not a lot of room left to transfer people into "fire prevention", so a lot of the ducks they hire will be outside doing the packarena when the fit hit the shan.
    I am sorry i should have specified fire prevention (not supression) makes a little money for the city yes/no? fines for arson, fines for inspection violations. inspection fees themselves .....etc,

  21. #421
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    109

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hemsparamedic View Post
    I am sorry i should have specified fire prevention (not supression) makes a little money for the city yes/no? fines for arson, fines for inspection violations. inspection fees themselves .....etc,
    Hate to pile on, but .... NOPE! Licenses & Inspections gets the fees and levies fines. Any fines for arson are court related.

    Since when should an essential service that taxpayers pay money for be in the business of making money?

  22. #422
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nutts09 View Post
    As you put it, this ain't my first rodeo, either, my friend. And I find it kind of suspicious that with your self-proclaimed experience of incredible magnitude and superior resume that you keep job-hopping across the country... But whatever, I could give two ****s. It's also kind of funny how you keep telling guys WHO ARE ON PFD what their EMS system and rotation is when they keep telling you no... Another boyscout know-it-all...great.

    Further, I agree that EMS is extremely important. But becoming a medic just to get the job is not good advice. This is becoming the worst trend in the Fire Service. Guys who go get their medic certs just to get hired and they're friggin dangerous in the field. I work with them all the time and it is scary. If you do not want to be a medic DO NOT BECOME ONE. Good luck, hems, regardless.

    Girls high school was my test site. 1330 was my test time. I was the guy wearing the blue ems helmet , "IAFF IAFC RULEs!!" t-shirt, and assless chaps. you might have missed me. I also had a FWBuff fanny pack.

    This is my first large municipal fire department exam but I have been in the EMS game for 22 years. so yes, I have had a couple of different jobs. From 1989 until now the EMS side of public safety is one of the most unstable environments to work as a single roll paramedic (non-fire based). This is due primarliy because the IAFF has been pushing FD takeovers of EMS services (private and municipal 3rd service) and paramedics have been moved around for quite some time. Those of us who don't want to be FF's lose jobs. I never wanted to be a FF until now, because Philly fights fire and I am already a PA paramedic. I worked as a FF-PM for a brief period in SOCal East SD county reservation fire protection district (now veijas/barona/sycuan FD) no fire except wildland and the occassional matress/over cooked food fire and a meth lab blaze) it was lame., I was over it. My former FPD has changed names and re-organized twice over 15 years. You think SD fire fighters are rich and would never leave CA...not at all. it is becoming the opposite in some areas.

    If you notice most everything that I stated about PFD was based in question format asking people to confirm what I had heard from other people who worked in the philly PFD ems system as paramedics and paramedic interns.

    that is all.
    Last edited by hemsparamedic; 11-25-2011 at 01:59 AM.

  23. #423
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BigGuyPhilly View Post
    Hate to pile on, but .... NOPE! Licenses & Inspections gets the fees and levies fines. Any fines for arson are court related.

    Since when should an essential service that taxpayers pay money for be in the business of making money?
    I agree the government shouldn't be billing people..but it's like Toll roads why are we paying tolls on roads built with federal and/or state taxes?

    I understand the PFD department still faciliates all those billable services. You (PFD fire marshal) inspect buildings, or establishes the fire code standards, you write the tickets to violations of fire code (i guess not on this one), you guys do arrest the arsonists and charge and fine them ?? (courts still put all of the money back to the city unless it's is federal.) The money generated no matter what department collects it, goes back to city hall. Then redistributed within the PFD budget. So it is logical to assume that PFD provides services or assists with the services the city either charges directly for or indirectly for.

    I think it works the same way with ambulance billing, The EMS side does not directly bill for EMS, it contracts out billing to an RFP (request for proposal) process approved civilian/private ambulance billing service. Then the city recieves the revenue from the ambu billing dudes (and I agree less than 25% recovery sucks) a portion of those monies are funnelled back the fire department in terms of predetermined yearly budget.? yes/no don;t know I am assuming this is how it works ? It works like this elsewhere.

    anyway all of this is getting off point. of the written test. If I offended, my apologies to everyone except fWDdooshe.. I learned a lot.

    out (JK)
    Last edited by hemsparamedic; 11-25-2011 at 01:39 AM.

  24. #424
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff View Post
    Hahahahahaha I see someone took a tough pill. Please dont hit me with your purse. You seem to have come to certain conclusions about me.....Couldnt be any more wrong about them than you are. On the other hand, using this post and your very first one I have come to conclusions about you......You are nothing but one of the stereotypical "Glory Medics" who think that they and EMS are the second coming of Christ. You have to post your resume for everyone to see, and have to shout "Behold me, for I am a Paragod" from the highest buildings. You are incredulous when someone tells you flat out that you are wrong about something. yes this is my first post however I have been watching this blog site for a while almost a year now, and in that time I have seen you bully races, veterans, and other fire departmets. long time reader first time poster. you on the other hand you are a long time bully, full time stereotypical prejudical union tool bag that has drank too much of the purple kool-aid.
    Query: Why leave San Diego as a FF/PM when the potential to make so much more money there than you could ever dream in Philly? The guys there finall have enough of your bullschit and run you out? [B]Yep you know it..I was a union whiner just like you This FF job isn't about the money for me(check: found your motivation) most san diego fire departments rely on EMS for >85 % of stats..they don;t fight fire. I am joining PFD to fight fire...not run EMS.[/B][/COLOR]Lawsuit happy, yes thats me. If you would reverse your cranial-rectal inversion for two seconds (you should know what that is, you are a Paragod) you could do some research and find out about the hiring practices of the last two administrations of the Philadelphia Fire Department, more so the current administration.....You know what? nevermind that, just do some research on the diciplinary practices of the current administration and you will see that any caucasian member of the Fire Department cant and wont get a fair shake. I'll toss you a bone: google "Battalion Chief John Grillone." I did and man that guy cannot sing. I found nothing of your minority special diciplinary treatment anywhere. However I am sure that this guy said EXACTLY that and you can prove it in writing. If you could I guarantee you (and local 22) would have sued the crap out of the city long ago, in a split second (if it was truley corroberated and in writing....) other than that, it.s the purple kool-aid talking again I am sure of it bro. NO ONE CAN SAY things like that OFFICIALLY, NO MATTER WHAT CITY THEY WORK FOR this aint the 1940's Now if the chief really said that then you and the IAFF dropped the ball and should have hammered him. The Current admin of the Fire Department has made it painfully clear that they will do whatever they can to discipline any caucasian member to the fullest extent they can for minor infractions, all while totally sweeping infractions by black members of the department under the carpet.Paddle harder I hear bangos!!!
    The current admin of both the Fire Department and the City have made it painfully clear that they only want to hire "The Preferred Demographic" and will do it at any cost- even if it means dumbing down the test, using little to no physical standards (Hey Fuss or Pita, how about telling some stories about PT during the last few Academy classes?) and even hiring candidates with criminal records. The moral of the story here California Boy is that you dont know jack schit about what happens in Philly or the politics behind what happens. Here's another bone for you: Google "Philadelphia Fire Department Consent Decree."

    I did look this up and here is a sample from that decree " order to hire an additional 151 blacks over next 1,250 hires, or 12%" wow how can you be threatened by this...12% ??? who gives a s****t? 151 candidates?? F-it. I am sure that the demographic of firefighters on years past that have gotten on the job because they "had connections" (legacies, favors, family ties) the good-ole boy quota probably dwarfs that 12.5 % minority mark or at least equals it. Everyone has an angle and the minorities happen to have a court mandated angle. Second is I am sure there are a some awesome candidates in those minority demographics. and you know what 12% is a number I am willing to concede to secondary to all the crap and prejudice they have sustained over the past decades. Don't you think that a black candidate has more pressure (self administered) as a probie if they are hired on a minority quota? There are just as many crappy white candidates that get hired as there are black.

    I started this thread in the hopes that everyone could come on here and share information in order to promote a colorblind, merit-based test and hiring process. Unfortunately, since the City is hell bent on hiring "The Preferred Demographic." What exactly would you like me to call them? Pancakes? Waffles? How about "The african americans that the administration only wants to hire?" This whole new testing process has been a joke from the minute it was created (interestingly enough immediately following the court-ordered dismissal of the consent decree) and I predict it will eventually collapse on itself in an avalanche of lawsuits. But it will be "All systems normal" down at City Hall and Third and Spring Garden- The mayor wont care about the lawsuits as they will only grant him an excuse not to hire, to continue to use overtime to fill vacancies, and then blame it on "the greedy firefighters and the union."Wow because you truley care about all of us poor PFD FD applicants getting the shaft from the man. Ha ha come on admit it helmetbuff(er) you just love to kick the hornets nest. testing is-what-it-is. PFD entrance for paramedic has been nothing more than the application ranking and stretcher agility test and possibly an interview. Does that concern me? yes. does it mean that I hope they weed the weak ones out during the paramedic academy and probation? yes

    You couldnt be more wrong about me. The funny thing is, that if you knew me, you would know that I have zero dogs in this fight. So get the sand out of your vagina, do some research about the City, the FD and the politics driving them and take the suggestion that you might want to reserve further comment until you have some knowledge of the situation at hand. Vig? Anytime you want to meet up you just let me know.

    Have a nice day!
    Nice .... you said it all. I would love to come sit and speak with you as long as:
    1. I dont have to wear a warm up suit or a fanny pack
    2. I don;t have to drive around in your IROC-Z
    3. I don't have to shave your sisters mustache
    4. I don't have to attend a KKK meeting
    5 You can guarantee people will think I am as cool as you even though I am not wearing a gold cougaraon and have no pubic hair on my back.
    Last edited by hemsparamedic; 11-25-2011 at 03:30 AM.

  25. #425
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    10

    Default

    so say i scored a 95 and bob scores a 70, this means we both pass the first part equally then we are ranked by the wsi.?

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. World Of Fire Report: 12-11-05
    By PaulBrown in forum World of Fire Daily Report
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-17-2005, 08:23 PM
  2. World Of Fire Report: 11-30-05
    By PaulBrown in forum World of Fire Daily Report
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-02-2005, 10:49 PM
  3. World Of Fire Report: 11-23-05
    By PaulBrown in forum World of Fire Daily Report
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-24-2005, 09:04 AM
  4. World Of Fire Report: 11-17-05
    By PaulBrown in forum World of Fire Daily Report
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-18-2005, 07:57 PM
  5. World Of Fire Report: 11-12-05
    By PaulBrown in forum World of Fire Daily Report
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-14-2005, 08:22 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Log in

Click here to log in or register