Like Tree365Likes

Thread: Philadelphia 2011

Forum Member

Yes...that is what FPSI claims, however most of us are unsure exactly how this system of 4 bands is going to work?

Forum Member

with no extra points being added on my end i was really hoping for a 100, knowing that i missed 4 i thought it was a total flop. i just cant believe computer generated results will take 4-6 mos. to post... this seems a little redic..

Forum Member

Anticipation of your WSI portion scores is really pointless, because the company doesn't create the answers to those questions until they see the results of how people score, what race you are, your gender etc.

Forum Member

Just one final note. I have met a lot former Philly fire paramedics and paramedic interns who rode on a PFD bus. They all have the same thing to say:

The fire side treats the EMS side horribly, and that is why many either left or never tested for full time jobs with the department. I dare say that FWDbuff profoundly resinates the prevailing attitude that these medics speak of. It is also a well known fact that fire guys really don't dig on medics crossing the floor to supression. One 23 year PFD veteran whom I know very well, called the paramedics "outcasts" within the department.

so those medics who tested and get a job, get ready for a warm welcoming...
    Makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside. Maybe if I am lucky FWDBuff will buff my helmet on the first day of the academy. ?? yes/no??
    Last edited by hemsparamedic; 11-25-2011 at 02:02 AM.

Forum Member

Hemshairbag,

Let me just say what everyone else wants to say. Unadulterated.

From your first know it all post I was turned off. Now you confirmed that feeling and then some. You motherf*cking piece of know it all dog sh*t.

You quota supporting, lying, haughty assbag that now all of a sudden wants to be a fireman...

youre in your 40s or close to it if youve been otj for 22 years. why the **** now do you want to be a fireman? you f*cking red flag, you.

Lying: You can't be told your wrong. Even when told specifically by OTJ members that EMS doesn't work a certain way, you'll acknowledge it but then turn around and still tell them they're wrong because you heard it worked that way. Or you try to make what you said right by using your all mighty logic to make your hogwash fact (i.e. ff's working as medics). I laughed when you tried to spin your comments from talking about fire suppression to actually meaning fire inspection instead. It didn't even help you, but you had to try and not look wrong. Pointless, prideful piece of dog sh*t.

And your phrases, what are you a retarded little boy/fruit? homeboy? dis? (telling a philly guy youve been dissed).

You weaselly, sniveling, libtard, d*ckless little puke, stay in the land of fruits and nuts. you ****ing nutfarm.

Hook & Can

Quote Originally Posted by Firehouse_Chick View Post
    Hemshairbag,

Let me just say what everyone else wants to say. Unadulterated.

From your first know it all post I was turned off. Now you confirmed that feeling and then some. You motherf*cking piece of know it all dog sh*t.

You quota supporting, lying, haughty assbag that now all of a sudden wants to be a fireman...

youre in your 40s or close to it if youve been otj for 22 years. why the **** now do you want to be a fireman? you f*cking red flag, you.

Lying: You can't be told your wrong. Even when told specifically by OTJ members that EMS doesn't work a certain way, you'll acknowledge it but then turn around and still tell them they're wrong because you heard it worked that way. Or you try to make what you said right by using your all mighty logic to make your hogwash fact (i.e. ff's working as medics). I laughed when you tried to spin your comments from talking about fire suppression to actually meaning fire inspection instead. It didn't even help you, but you had to try and not look wrong. Pointless, prideful piece of dog sh*t.

And your phrases, what are you a retarded little boy/fruit? homeboy? dis? (telling a philly guy youve been dissed).

You weaselly, sniveling, libtard, d*ckless little puke, stay in the land of fruits and nuts. you ****ing nutfarm.

I think I'm in love.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by hemsparamedic View Post
    Just one final note. I have met a lot former Philly fire paramedics and paramedic interns who rode on a PFD bus. They all have the same thing to say:

The fire side treats the EMS side horribly, and that is why many either left or never tested for full time jobs with the department. I dare say that FWDbuff profoundly resinates the prevailing attitude that these medics speak of. It is also a well known fact that fire guys really don't dig on medics crossing the floor to supression. One 23 year PFD veteran whom I know very well, called the paramedics "outcasts" within the department.

so those medics who tested and get a job, get ready for a warm welcoming...
    Makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside. Maybe if I am lucky FWDBuff will buff my helmet on the first day of the academy. ?? yes/no??
    once agian you are wrong medics,for the most part, are not treated badly at all if you really knew what you are talking about you would know that most medics are there own worst enemy and most problems in the fire house originate from that like alot of what you have been wrongly saying and refuse to belive is that some medics walk around with a chip on there shoulder as if the last five stubed toes they just had saved the world there are alot of medics that just dog it all day you see them not taking runs and just wasting time thats why guys call them out but most of our medics are great at what they do and are treated acordingly if you have a medic friend who was not treated well he was more then likely a bum and that is why. Also if you have been in ems for 22 yrs how old are you/

Forum Member

Hemsparagod, you are an angry, angry person. Did the firefighters beat you up in the locker room and hang your lifeguard banana hammock from the flagpole one too many times? And in different cities, to boot! You must be a real gem to work with to have been run out of so many cities and jobs. You already know everything there is to know about the PFD, so YOU tell ME what happend to Chief Grillone. Better yet, tell me what happened to Firefighter Jack Slivinski, Jr. That one was all over the media, should be easier for you (no wait you already know what happened....)

Additionally, since you know the concent decree, and seem to be convinced that the city was only obligated to hire 12% under it, tell me Mister all-knowing Paragod, then why did the consent decree have to be dissolved by a court order? You really need to pull your head out of your *** and open your eyes as to what is happening in the City. Wait.... It just occurred to me......Are you black? You must be, for as blind as you are to the blatant racism that exists in City Hall and Fire Headquarters.

And no, not going to buff your helmet for you. You'll probably do it enough yourself- you pretty boy know it all paragod baywatchers buff yourselfs off daily when you look in the mirror and say out loud "Behold, for I am a paragod. Bow down and kneel before me!" And once again, you couldnt be more wrong about who and what I am. Therefore I refuse to continue to have a battle of wits with an unarmed person.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Banding

Quote Originally Posted by Andyboyfire View Post
    however most of us are unsure exactly how this system of 4 bands is going to work?
    For what it's worth, here is how banding works. BEFORE the results are determined, a range of scores is set. Usually, there are 3 or 4 ranges or "bands". i.e. 100%-92% is band 1, 91%-84% is band 2, and so forth. Obviously, your test score determines your banding. Sometimes, if a test is difficult, there will be very few, or no candidates in band 1. Once you are placed in a band, you are considered equal to all others in your band. If you scored 92.1% you are just as eligible to be selected first as is someone who scored 100%. If you scored 91.9%, you would be in band 2 and would not be eligible for selection until all band 1 candidates were either selected or removed from the eligible list. Unfortunately, you could have the highest score in your band and still be the last one selected. It is basically a system designed to allow the hiring agency flexibility in their selections. They can make their selections from a larger grouping, rather than having to go down a list in order.

Forum Member

Default test is graded

Does anyone know how the test is graded. How many points are taken off for each wrong point

Forum Member

I could be wrong....but I have heard since there were 4 answers to all question it would be +4 +2 -2 and -4. I am unsure if this is true but I have heard the city is attempting to aid certian demographics and would bet money there will be more than 1 correct answer to questions so something like that would make somewhat sense to me.

The guys on the job...I realize maybe you can't comment, however how do guys on the job and the union feel about this recent exam, seems like lots of questions and suspicions?

Thanks for helping us not on the job.

Forum Member

i memorized most of that study guide and i think that there was only 1 right answer to every question..as most of them were no brainers, some made me think, and ill admit i got a couple wrong.. so since there was 80 questions i was under the impression that they would be worth 1.25 points each.. i could be wrong though, or maybe they dont even know yet...lol..

Forum Member

No forget the the study guide portion...no one should be worrying about the study guide portion if you failed that you have no makings for a firefighter...WSI is what matters....

Forum Member

The TPM section is pass fail only the second half of tht test will be graded...so forget everything about the first half and it has nothing to do with the Philadelphia FD tactics. The second half...which has answers which are totally subjective is all that matter as long as you did half decent on first half...the second half ONLY produces your score and list placement...secondary to potential banding.
    Last edited by Andyboyfire; 11-25-2011 at 10:44 PM.

Forum Member

does anyone know how long it could take to get our grades back ?

Hook & Can

Quote Originally Posted by thatguy123 View Post
    does anyone know how long it could take to get our grades back ?
    The proctor in my test room said I should hear something in January when I turned in my test. However, I think she was a school employee, and probably had no real idea. So take that as you will.

MembersZone Subscriber

Well, they are pushing for a class this spring, if I am not mistaken, so grades can't take THAT long to get back to us....

Any of you guys OTJ think they will have another class after the first one, hiring off our two-year list?

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by unbroken136 View Post
    Well, they are pushing for a class this spring, if I am not mistaken, so grades can't take THAT long to get back to us....

Any of you guys OTJ think they will have another class after the first one, hiring off our two-year list?
    Here is what I know or think I know...

1.) I believe the list is for 4 years, not 2; I know mine was...

2.) By 7/2013, there are some couple hundred guys DROPing (projected vacancies). There are also already a bunch of current vacancies. Not sure of the exact numbers, maybe 250+/- projected, another 100(?) current vacancies?

3.) The last list went for 5 classes, at about 80 per class. We had openings for more (at least one, maybe 2 classes' worth), but they were scraping the bottom of the barrel. Or there were not enough qualified minorities remaining on the list. Or there was no money in the budget for another class. Or all of the above. Or whatever excuse you want to use this week.

4.) The mayor made an announcement in Sept. or Oct. about the need for further budget cuts in the city. At that time, he did say the police and fire depts. would NOT be cut. However, there has been an election since then and he won. There is nothing other than honor preventing him from proceeding to cut the fire dept. So like I said, there is nothing preventing him from cutting the fire dept.

5.) There is/was currently an efficiency/impact study regarding our dept.; results of which I would expect around 6 months from now.

6.) It is commonly rumored that we expect up to an additional 12 companies to be cut. This shoe is expected to drop when said impact study is released or at least when the administration has time to understand it. (Insert your own joke here.)

7.) ANYONE (unless, and even if, it is Car 1 himself) who says they know what this administration is going to do is lying. There are days when I swear they have a plan/plot; there are more days when I swear they have no idea what they are doing from minute to minute, let alone thinking ahead a day, week, month, year, or longer...
    Opinions expressed are mine alone, and do not necessarily reflect those of the Philadelphia Fire Department and/or IAFF Local 22.

MembersZone Subscriber

Much thanks, mrpita

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by mrpita View Post
    Here is what I know or think I know...

1.) I believe the list is for 4 years, not 2; I know mine was...
    The 4 year list was due to the consent decree, now ended. Philadelphia Civil Service Regulations state the a civil service list is only to be in effect from 1 - 2 years.

10.07 - DURATION AND REPLACEMENT OF LISTS.

10.071 - NON-CONTINUOUS AND PERIODIC LISTS. Eligible lists established as the result of non-continuous or periodic examinations shall continue in force for at least one year from the date that the list is signed and designated as an Established Eligible List until exhausted or replaced but in no case longer than two years.

MembersZone Subscriber

Thanks, BigGuy, wasn't aware of the change.
    Opinions expressed are mine alone, and do not necessarily reflect those of the Philadelphia Fire Department and/or IAFF Local 22.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BigGuyPhilly View Post
    The 4 year list was due to the consent decree, now ended. Philadelphia Civil Service Regulations state the a civil service list is only to be in effect from 1 - 2 years.

10.07 - DURATION AND REPLACEMENT OF LISTS.

10.071 - NON-CONTINUOUS AND PERIODIC LISTS. Eligible lists established as the result of non-continuous or periodic examinations shall continue in force for at least one year from the date that the list is signed and designated as an Established Eligible List until exhausted or replaced but in no case longer than two years.
    So... two, maybe even three classes over the next two years is plausible, given administration decides more personnel is necessary?

Forum Member

depends on what amount they want to hire the academy is about 6 months long and they have been doing 2 classes going through at the same time (one on the A plt and one on the D) so they could get at least 8 classes out if they want to but prob not that much and as for the list only being 2 yrs the civil service regs mean nothing to the city so this list will last as long as they want it to

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by philly10 View Post
    depends on what amount they want to hire the academy is about 6 months long and they have been doing 2 classes going through at the same time (one on the A plt and one on the D) so they could get at least 8 classes out if they want to but prob not that much and as for the list only being 2 yrs the civil service regs mean nothing to the city so this list will last as long as they want it to
    how many people average 1 class??

Forum Member

Anybody by chance know the number to contact HR so we can get definite answers rather than just word of mouth and assumptions?

Thread Information