Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 134 FirstFirst 123451252102 ... LastLast
Like Tree365Likes

Thread: Philadelphia 2011

Quote Originally Posted by dbask View Post
    What do you think the test is going to be like. Easy or harder then when you took it. Is the academy still held in ne philly.
    Dude....The test is going to be easy. They want their buddies to pass.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

MembersZone Subscriber

Any idea how many people may be hired off this list?

Forum Member

The first part of the exam (TPM Study Guide) will be pass/fail. No word on what a passing score will be.

Second part of the exam (WSI) which will also be a written portion will be scored. Once scored extra points will be added for Veteran Preference, FSP, FF 1, EMT, and Legacy.

After each candidate's final score is determined they will be put into bands. At this time we have been unable to find out how the banding will work. If you do a little reading however on the vendor's website you will see that banding is an alternative to rank order hiring.
    Last edited by philly10; 07-24-2011 at 09:27 AM.

Forum Member

The Test Preparation Manual (TPM, 9th Edition) Test

The TPM portion of the test is designed to measure the ability to read, retain, recall, and comprehend written material. Previous fire experience / knowledge is not required to answer the questions in the test. Every item on the TPM Test comes directly from the related TPM study guide. The study guide consists of five chapters on fire-related content. It is recommended that candidates read the 97-page study guide for four-to-six weeks prior to the examination date.

The Work Styles Inventory (WSI)

The WSI portion of the exam is designed to measure important human relations skills that are necessary for successful job performance. There is no study material for this portion of the test.

Forum Member

Philly10 thanks for the info. is the combination of TPM and WSI one test just two parts? or is it two different test? thanks for the info again!
    To the men who were there that day, my utmost respect.
    To those that will be there the next time, Ill be there by your side

Forum Member

ggggggggggggggg
    Last edited by usellout911; 09-19-2012 at 06:36 PM.

Forum Member

What is the acamdemy like. Is it anything like bootcamp

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by tonsoffun1101 View Post
    Philly10 thanks for the info. is the combination of TPM and WSI one test just two parts? or is it two different test? thanks for the info again!
    from what i understand it is two test pass the TPM then move on to the WSI

Forum Member

What is the acamdemy like. Is it anything like bootcamp
    they do run it that way it depends on the instructors on how serious they get

Angry "Preferred Class"

I want to first wish those of you who have never worked professionally as a firefighter the best of luck in search of your dream. There are many outstanding fire departments in this great country of ours...PFD being one of the standouts and largest.

Having said that, I am both insulted, disgusted, and to be quite honest, wondering how some of you would be on the job in the long run. Having successfully graduated from the top of my state firefighter class many years ago now, scoring a 98 and getting hired with another top notch major US department years ago, acquiring a Bachelor's Degree from a top notch US college, and now working for a smaller department rebuilding from one of our worst firefighter losses, I am by race, a member of this "preferred class" you speak of.

Who the heck are you to speak about another class of people the way you do like you are above them, us, myself??? I do a lot of the recruiting where I work now, on the downside of an excellent and true firefighting career, and anyone who even hinted at the fact of a discussion like this, I would send them out the door. Not to mention, inside most US Firehouses in Urban Cities, Like Philly, that truly fight fire regularly, you would get humbled quickly inside their stations.

You may think a lot of people are onboard with what you are saying, but a whole lot of us, white and "preferred class", are true Brothers...the entity most of you aspire to be. I earned the job on my own,the hard way, over a ten year period to get hired with an awesome and busy urban fire department. No one to give me any "handouts", but I don't criticize anyone.

Keep in mind, no one, even "preferred class" members like anyone of any class to get anything that appears to be a "free pass". Do you think after earning my own path, I want to see anyone of any class get anyting for free or "unearned"?

Be careful on what you say out here. If anything I have learned over these years, the fire service is fluid, like water...everything travels fast. What you say here may haunt you in that final step when you could have just been successful. Show your disgust by preparing and studying, this way you acquire your dream and keep those "class issues" from ever getting your job.

As stated, I wish those who truly seek the dream by staying above frustration, the best of luck!! America has the best Fire Service around, imo, don't miss out on the opportunity.
    Truck Company Love

Quote Originally Posted by cfdpride View Post
    Keep in mind, no one, even "preferred class" members like anyone of any class to get anything that appears to be a "free pass". Do you think after earning my own path, I want to see anyone of any class get anyting for free or "unearned"?
    1. Tell that to Fire Commissioner Lloyd Ayres (a past president of the Valiants) who fully supports lower hiring standards and supported the reversal of the repeal of the consent decree which mandated miniority hiring:
    Fire Commissioner Lloyd Ayres
    Fire Administration Building
    240 Spring Garden Street
    Philadelphia, PA 19123
    215-686-1300

2. Tell that to the Club Valiants, the Philadelphia Chapter of the IABPFF, who feel the need to lower hiring standards and tried to/supported the reversal of the repeal of the Consent Decree which mandated minority hiring:
    President Eric Fleming
    7543 Williams Avenue
    Philadelphia, PA 19150-2211
    215-276-8222

3. Tell that to Mayor Michael Nutter
    City Hall
    Office of the Mayor
    Rm 215
    Philadelphia PA 19107

I have a list of about thirty other names and officials of other cities, such as Boston, Chicago, Baltimore, Hartford.....But time does not allow it.

Many many of your race do not agree with you, inclulding Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton just to name two.

Who the heck are you to speak about another class of people the way you do like you are above them, us, myself??? I do a lot of the recruiting where I work now, on the downside of an excellent and true firefighting career, and anyone who even hinted at the fact of a discussion like this, I would send them out the door. Not to mention, inside most US Firehouses in Urban Cities, Like Philly, that truly fight fire regularly, you would get humbled quickly inside their stations.
    And just who the heck are you to speak about another Fire Department and their internal personnel problems that you have zero knowledge of? Granted I am not on the job in Philly, that train left the station in October of 2005 when I moved out of Philly, but I still have many friends on the job there, and have inside knowledge of what kinds of acts the racist fire commissioner and his band of merry men perpetrate against any caucasian firefighter. But dont take my word for it, let MrPita, Firefuss, or Philly10 tell you some of the stories.

Why is there an attempt in New York City to lower the hiring standards?? Why are all the minority groups screaming for affirmative action? Why was the City of Chicago recently ordered to hire (IIRC approximately 110) minority applicants and give them back pay and seniority? Could it be that many of your fellow race members feel that they ARE entitled to affirmative action?

I don't give a flying fuchk if you are black, blue, red, green or yellow with purple polka-dots. I dont care if you are mexican, chinese, russian, hungarian or german. I dont care if you are catholic, jewish, shintu, presbyterian, baptist or amish. I want to know that when the schit hits the fan, you will be there to pull my *** out of trouble just the same as I will be there for you.
    All we want is for a colorblind hiring system that will enable cities to hire top-notch candidates that will excell in this profession and go above and beyond to ensure that at the end of the day, everyone goes home safely.

I, or anyone who thinks like me is not the one you need to have a problem with. You need to have the problem with the members of your own race that feel "entitled."

I commend you for achieving what you have on your own without the help. You sound as if you are a man of honor and integrity, and someone with whom I would have no problem pulling a deuce and half through the gates of hell with. I wish you well, and please be safe.
    Last edited by FWDbuff; 07-26-2011 at 12:52 PM.

Forum Member

I though we were done with the horse shhit.that's why buff started the new thread.

I though we were done with the horse shhit.that's why buff started the new thread.
    CFDpride has a legitimate gripe; however I do think he might be a little blind to the problem as a whole, as it certainly is a nationwide one as I outlined in my post. He wasn't bickering or name-calling at all. Additionally he has no knowledge of what goes on in Philly.

Remember this, If you settle for making a low passing score of 70% to get hired and go through life making 70%, this means that you are 30% WRONG all the time. Being anything less than 1% in the fire service will get you and maybe the other members of your company injuried or even killed.

No one in there right mine should ever hire any one making less than 96% on any written exam or being less than that going through recurit school.

If you can't make better than being a low scorer, then you need to find other employment and turn your gear in.

Plus fire departments recruit school should not be as public school are, "No student left behind"!!

You can't make it, then you are history.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Yeah, as expected!

Listen. Whomever thinks I am blind to this system needs to comprehend what I was writing about, not the words being written. If you think I am going to sit back and let someone speak freely about their prejudices of a particular class of people, please think again. I am not that guy!!

Now for those who think they know me, I've witnessed the same consent decrees Philly has going on. Comprehension of my post would have set the tone for this knowledge!! My former department, Columbus Fire, had the same decree a decade ago and created a permanent morale issue within the department over time. Cincinnati had an even worse variation, as did L.A, Boston, and currently the FDNY situation. I'm already in the damn job, a recruiter, long time member of IAFF locals, go to fire conferences regularly, so how could I not be aware of the issue. I have friends in Philly, Boston, a former classmate who is now with FDNY, a friend in San Jose, etc. We have a former Charleston Firefighter now working with FDNY. What's you point??

At the end of the day, I surely have nothing to prove, only a helping hand to those who are so excited about becoming a firefighter, especially for a large department like Philly. These ridiculous blogs should be here to lift you up, "point out issues that are pertinent to helping or hurting your chances", and to support each other. All I see is this b.s., blame, insults, and a lot from people that have no idea about the job. If this stuff is this stressful, I can assure you, dealing with a flashover, falling through a floor, or even worse, loss of a Brother or Brothers will bring you to your knees!!

Does anyone realize that a city like Philly is populated by the "preferred class"? The busy companies in every city run on this population every day...SO, what we say everywhere I've worked, if you don't like the "preferred class", you are not working in this station just to get the run volume! For me, I love all of my Brothers. They are of all classes, sizes, and backgrounds. We do this together, regardless of personal beliefs. We are still individuals, but we are thick as glue. I'll work with anyone who wants to do the job. It didn't happen for me overnight, so I am not going to sugarcoat the inequities out there. The hiring systems suck. Just don't offend those of us who are already here and earned our way, the right way.

Politicians suck, and for the apparent informational genius on here, I will be more than happy to give my two cents to any "preferred class" organization out there. Just keep in mind, the reason politics are so bad is because there is always a "group" who complained about something. We have points for everything don't we? So, for the genius, I am not telling anyone that they have to score high to get the job, but why would I tell someone to just pass? Because that would suggest a "preferred class" member who actually was driven to get the high score shouldn't get the job, but the guy who just got a mid 80's score with points awarded for something else should. By the way, it took me 10 years and 4 tests to gradually get that 98, which made me appreciate it that much better. Earned, not given! Paid my dues then, and contine to pay my dues now. Comes with the job.

I'll assume that wasn't the suggestion!

As I said, it's the greatest job in the world. If you are in it, love it. If you want it, go get it, wherever that takes you, there are plenty of fire departments out there.
    Truck Company Love

Listen. Whomever thinks I am blind to this system needs to comprehend what I was writing about, not the words being written. If you think I am going to sit back and let someone speak freely about their prejudices of a particular class of people, please think again.
    You yourself need to take your own advice. You need to comprehend what I was (and continue to) writing about, not the words being written: affirmative action.

And regarding prejudices of a particular class of people, I will quote a previous statement that I made:
    Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff View Post
    I don't give a flying fuchk if you are black, blue, red, green or yellow with purple polka-dots. I dont care if you are mexican, chinese, russian, hungarian or german. I dont care if you are catholic, jewish, shintu, presbyterian, baptist or amish. I want to know that when the schit hits the fan, you will be there to pull my *** out of trouble just the same as I will be there for you. All we want is for a colorblind hiring system that will enable cities to hire top-notch candidates that will excell in this profession and go above and beyond to ensure that at the end of the day, everyone goes home safely.
    Perhaps it was the words "preferred demographic" that got you upset. What words or terminology would you like me to use? The term I am using is technically correct, perhaps not politically correct.......I am at a loss as to what I should call the candidates that certain factions of the City Government would prefer be exclusively hired.

The hiring systems suck. Just don't offend those of us who are already here and earned our way, the right way.
    I dont have to insult you (nor is it my intent); the members of your own race that again seem to think they are entitled do a good enough job of insulting you themselves.

One last thing for you to chew on: Since the demographics of the population of Philly clearly show that caucasians are now the minority within the City of Philadelphia, perhaps Caucasians should receive preferential treatment and/or affirmative action? Just saying.
    Last edited by FWDbuff; 07-26-2011 at 07:23 PM.

Forum Member

Does the city supply candidates with a study guide specific to that years test or do the candidates have to go and purchase it themselves?

Quote Originally Posted by philly10 View Post
    The Test Preparation Manual (TPM, 9th Edition) Test

The TPM portion of the test is designed to measure the ability to read, retain, recall, and comprehend written material. Previous fire experience / knowledge is not required to answer the questions in the test. Every item on the TPM Test comes directly from the related TPM study guide. The study guide consists of five chapters on fire-related content. It is recommended that candidates read the 97-page study guide for four-to-six weeks prior to the examination date.

The Work Styles Inventory (WSI)

The WSI portion of the exam is designed to measure important human relations skills that are necessary for successful job performance. There is no study material for this portion of the test.

Forum Member

you name new york are you kidding 80 percent of the job is family and friends how are black, female or anyone else has chance to get on just took a test and texas for a department they 350 firefighters 2 woman 5 black i guess blacks and females are not smart ok how about this to a test for a major department in tn 1500 firefighers 350 blacks and you think this stuff is fair

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by I3akdraf View Post
    Does the city supply candidates with a study guide specific to that years test or do the candidates have to go and purchase it themselves?
    the TPM a booklet is mailed out the WSI is new and there is no study guide all the info is on the city wesite

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by dumpsdad View Post
    you name new york are you kidding 80 percent of the job is family and friends how are black, female or anyone else has chance to get on just took a test and texas for a department they 350 firefighters 2 woman 5 black i guess blacks and females are not smart ok how about this to a test for a major department in tn 1500 firefighers 350 blacks and you think this stuff is fair
    this is the only thing i`m going to wright about this ****ing match if people study hard and pass with a high score then they deserve the job there should be no reason why a test should be dumbed down or thrown out. Do good get hired thats it. Test`s go theough a scantron which known`s no color,race or gender just what the score is
    Last edited by philly10; 07-27-2011 at 09:05 AM.

Thread Information