Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 20 of 134 FirstFirst ... 10171819202122233070120 ... LastLast
Like Tree365Likes

Thread: Philadelphia 2011

Forum Member

Anyone know how many you need wrong to fail the first portion of the test??

Forum Member

The first part of the test should have been more difficult. I spent days memorizing those salaries. There was like 10 questions on the practise test about them, you would have thought there would have been at least obe one the test. That being said, the could have made it a lot easier. I would not have been able to pass that test without reading the book. Im sure at least half the people that took it did not pass that first part. (judging by the type of questions asked at the mini academy).

As for the second part of the test, the questions were geared to make sure your a team player with leadership skills. A couple of questions were absurd though. An example of that would be "I prefer the Arts to the Sciences". You couldnt say you liked them both, which I do, you just had to agree or disagree. And questions like "I keep my closet organized". Who would answer that truthfully if they didn't?

Was there any ligit reason to ask us our race? This day and age that takes some balls. How can they justify that? Identification purposes? Eat me.
    Whatever. I did the best I could.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FireFuss View Post
    Just one......
    Yea? You must mean the questions about your race...

Forum Member

whats up guys..new to this forum..i took the test sat. too and am also kinda angry and upset with the whole race and resident questions. as far as i can remember didnt we fill those areas in on the appl.? and if i wasnt qualified at that point they should have not approved it.....

Forum Member

im also wondering about the start/finish time, whats up with that? we had 3 hrs. and thats that! is this for statistics too? some people did it in 30 mins, some people 80mins. I took my time and when i was finished started over again to make sure it was correct.. will double checking rule me out??

Forum Member

I heard that if you don't have your drivers license that they are throwing your application out. don't know how true that is tho

Forum Member

Default Philly FF written test information...I found this stuff on-line

This is my first post to firehouse. This ain’t my first rodeo. I am posting the following info to help out the hordes of people who are confused by this whole PFD testing process. I am a former San Diego County Firefighter/paramedic and Denver General paramedic. I am now a full time Delaware (ALS QRV based) paramedic and beach lifeguard. I also took the FF exam on Sunday. First I would like to say that given the large volume of people (I mean a SH%T ton of people) going for this FF job, everything was handled pretty well and appeared organized. The hiring process so far could be way worse

Anyway I spoke with one of the lead Philly HR reps in the basement when I dropped off my certs and he told me the test results would take 4-6 months to process and post. That HR rep contact also told me that I should update the City OHR and my application if my address were to change. To do that you will have to contact philly OHR at 215-686-2387.

PFD recruitment team : I am also posting the numbers of the 2 PFD supervisors overseeing the hiring process. Captain Johnson, Recruitment Team Leader, can be reached at 215-668-5951; Lieutenant Sean Mack can be reached at 215-906-8293. Their job (according the linked document: http://www.iaff22.org/forums/one/fil...0FF%20Exam.pdf is to provide information and seek out diverse qualified applicants. They should be able to answer most questions for those of you that are still confused.

My personal opinion is that there were a lot of people at that exam that looked the part but my question looking at them was; do these people want to say they are firefighters or do they want to truley be firefighters?

on a side note:

Everyone who is interested in becoming a FF in a big department the key to success is for you to go to medic school and get your P-card (paramedic cert) It added 3 points to the exam for PFD. Also some departments seek out paramedics specifically Sometimes only paramedics will be allowed to test) and you may only have to compete against 100 for 5 FF/PM positions at a municipal department. I have never seen so many people in my life applying for this type job. Our last opening at our 3rd service had 20 people (medics) competing for one spot. The pay is slightly higher and the schedule is the same as PFD. We are a 9-1-1 municipal non transporting ALS exclusive EMS service that responds via QRV not in an ambulance, an utilizes BLS ambulances as our transport units. But it’s not fighting fire…I know. However if you have a medic card and a couple of years of EMS street experience coupled with a FF-I and FF II cert……you are golden anywhere on the east coast and in the mid-west [especially in places like Florida, South Carolina, Georgia, and AZ, Colorado., Utah ]

I am still amazed at the sheer volume of regular Joe civilian applicants that were standing in line on Sunday. The sheer volume of ricky-rescue uniformed personnel and dudes carring pagers/hand-held radios (as if they were going to respond from the exam.) was how should I say?....classic.

If I can answer any other questions about paramedic or EMT training…let me know.
    Last edited by hemsparamedic; 11-21-2011 at 10:40 PM.

Forum Member

4-6 mos. wow...

Quote Originally Posted by BIG-B View Post
    im also wondering about the start/finish time, whats up with that? we had 3 hrs. and thats that! is this for statistics too? some people did it in 30 mins, some people 80mins. I took my time and when i was finished started over again to make sure it was correct.. will double checking rule me out??
    Quote Originally Posted by nutts09 View Post
    The proctor in our room was not very communicative at all... She didn't even tell us to "begin"... we were like, uh... ma'am can we start now? Oh sure go ahead, she says, mark down what time you're starting.
    If ALL you guys dont organize and file a lawsuit, you are all a bunch of pansies.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

The residency question is because...I believe that there is residency points or they give hiring prefference to citizens of phil. first and foremost.

I really don't recall any race question..in all seriousness, maybe I took a different test.

Another question for you guys- Were the proctors employees of the testing company or were they school teachers working some extra as in years past????

Forum Member

Default question answered

It appeared that the school teachers handled the testing side of operations. meaning they were the ones administering the test directly in every classroom that I saw. OHR and the school system had upper ranking reps chillin in the hallway coordinating the activities of the classroom. The command post was in the basement where top ranking Philidelphia OHR reps, school officials, and reps from the company (who write the test) were coordinating paperwork. It was almost like an incident command system for civilians. I saw no uniformed PFD personnel.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BigGriffC12 View Post
    The residency question is because...I believe that there is residency points or they give hiring prefference to citizens of phil. first and foremost.

I really don't recall any race question..in all seriousness, maybe I took a different test.
    You get 5 points added to score if you are philly resident for 1 year or more, that is why they asked the residency question it effects the scoring.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by thatguy123 View Post
    I heard that if you don't have your drivers license that they are throwing your application out. don't know how true that is tho
    You have to have a drivers license and an adequate driving record in order to be insured by the city. They have to be able to insure you in a safety sensitive position. I was told by a 23 year PFD FF active currently "In your first year you will be driving a BLS ambulance as part of your station rotation. Everyone rotates to a BLS bus. Even FF-paramedics."

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by hemsparamedic View Post
    The command post was in the basement where top ranking Philidelphia OHR reps, school officials, and reps from the company (who write the test) were coordinating paperwork.
    Where was THIS in the basement? And how do you know who was who? I saw a small table manned by three ladies accepting and denying certs. They were denying nationally accredited FF certs because they were not specifically PA certified certs---telling guys "I only know that it should say PA certified so I can't accept it."

Nevertheless, I handed in my PA EMT cert and they were like, "ok thanks, bye"... no confirmation, no type of receipt .... I guess I can only hope it shows come results time.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff View Post
    Another question for you guys- Were the proctors employees of the testing company or were they school teachers working some extra as in years past????
    When I took the test, I was over at South Philadelphia H.S (I'm a full-time tutor and behavior coach, at this school). I didn't recognize a single person proctoring the test; nor, did I see a single teacher, vice-principle (there're three), or Principle. More than likely, the proctors were company employees.

On an unrelated note, I'm a 20 year-old, black male. West Philadelphia, born and raise (feel free to continue that). I took the test at South Philadelphia, and I gotta say..... there were a lot of black men, and black women there. There were a few white guys there, but not as many as I expected. Maybe I'm just grasping at straws that aren't there, but could this have anything to do with the race part of the hiring process? I didn't even know there was a South Philadelphia testing site, until I got the invite. I thought it was either Girls High, or Central. Maybe, and this is seriously unlikely, but maybe they sent people to their designated test site, based on race? ..... Nah, probably not.

Anyways, hope your satisfied with my answer, Buff. If you, or anyone else have any personal questions (because I'm pretty sure I can't answer any questions, in regards to the test), then ask away.

Forum Member

You get 5 points added to score if you are philly resident for 1 year or more, that is why they asked the residency question it effects the scoring.
    Get the facts straight. You don't get ANY points for being a resident, it is more or less a tie breaker.

PREFERENCE FOR PHILADELPHIA RESIDENTS: Candidates who have maintained a bona fide residence in Philadelphia for at least one year prior to the date of the civil service examination shall have priority over all other persons receiving an identical test score.

To receive such preference, candidates must respond to the question regarding residence when they appear to take the examination and to the supplemental question regarding residence later in this form.

If candidates are required to appear to compete in an examination, the response on that day will be used to determine eligibility for preference for residents.

If the examination is a training and experience evaluation, the response on this application will be used to determine eligibility for preference for residents.

If an applicant does not respond to the appropriate residence question, it will be assumed that the applicant does not qualify for residence preference. Eligibility for residence preference must be determined by the date of the test administration. No requests for residence preference will be granted after the test administration.

Forum Member

You have to have a drivers license and an adequate driving record in order to be insured by the city. They have to be able to insure you in a safety sensitive position. I was told by a 23 year PFD FF active currently "In your first year you will be driving a BLS ambulance as part of your station rotation. Everyone rotates to a BLS bus. Even FF-paramedics."
    my first ? is why do you keep saying that you took the test on "Sunday" I didn't think that there was any testing on sundy. Second yes you do get put into the squad rotation right away but you are not allowed to drive until you are qualified you should begin driver training right away on the engine DPOP and on the ladder TILLER also there are no FF paramedics in the city once you cross over you are no longer considered a medic and are only allowed to provide BLS care so i would check your source on those previouse statements

This is my first post to firehouse. This ain’t my first rodeo. I am posting the following info to help out the hordes of people who are confused by this whole PFD testing process. In case if you haven't figured it out by now, this is the first time that Philly has ever used this whole private-sector testing process....Even you cannot provide enough of the answers people are seeking in order to cut through the confusion on this one. I am a former San Diego County Firefighter/paramedic and Denver General paramedic. I am now a full time Delaware (ALS QRV based) paramedic and beach lifeguard. That's nice, thanks for the resume. This is Philly, what you have has no bearing (except for the extra points) once you hit the Fire Academy. Oh, and forget about that FF/Paramagician crap, because there is no such beast in Philly. I also took the FF exam on Sunday. First I would like to say that given the large volume of people (I mean a SH%T ton of people) going for this FF job, everything was handled pretty well and appeared organized. You have no idea just how much of a cluster fook it was. Even the City (in their infinite lack of wisdom) in the past when they ran the tests were able to ID everyone, take drivers license numbers and fingerprint everyone..... The hiring process so far could be way worse From hearing what I have heard so far I dont think it could be any worse.

Anyway I spoke with one of the lead Philly HR reps in the basement when I dropped off my certs and he told me the test results would take 4-6 months to process and post. That HR rep contact also told me that I should update the City OHR and my application if my address were to change. To do that you will have to contact philly OHR at 215-686-2387.

PFD recruitment team : I am also posting the numbers of the 2 PFD supervisors overseeing the hiring process. Captain Johnson, Recruitment Team Leader, can be reached at 215-668-5951; Lieutenant Sean Mack can be reached at 215-906-8293. Their job (according the linked document: http://www.iaff22.org/forums/one/fil...0FF%20Exam.pdf is to provide information and seek out diverse qualified applicants. They should be able to answer most questions for those of you that are still confused.

My personal opinion is that there were a lot of people at that exam that looked the part but my question looking at them was; do these people want to say they are firefighters or do they want to truley be firefighters?

on a side note:

Everyone who is interested in becoming a FF in a big department the key to success is for you to go to medic school and get your P-card (paramedic cert) It added 3 points to the exam for PFD. Also some departments seek out paramedics specifically Sometimes only paramedics will be allowed to test) and you may only have to compete against 100 for 5 FF/PM positions at a municipal department. I have never seen so many people in my life applying for this type job. Our last opening at our 3rd service had 20 people (medics) competing for one spot. The pay is slightly higher and the schedule is the same as PFD. We are a 9-1-1 municipal non transporting ALS exclusive EMS service that responds via QRV not in an ambulance, an utilizes BLS ambulances as our transport units. But it’s not fighting fire…I know. However if you have a medic card and a couple of years of EMS street experience coupled with a FF-I and FF II cert……you are golden anywhere on the east coast Really? That PM card doesnt mean schit in Philly; as previously stated there is no such thing as a FF/PM. and in the mid-west [especially in places like Florida, South Carolina, Georgia, and AZ, Colorado., Utah ]

I am still amazed at the sheer volume of regular Joe civilian applicants that were standing in line on Sunday. The sheer volume of ricky-rescue uniformed personnel and dudes carring pagers/hand-held radios (as if they were going to respond from the exam.) was how should I say?....classic. You think that you posting your resume makes you sound any different than the ricky-rescues?

If I can answer any other questions about paramedic or EMT training…let me know.
    Yes I am sure the masses will be rushing right to you for the answers.

Dude- word of advice: This is Philly. Your previous training and experience (especially if its from the left coast) has absolutely no bearing on anything (except for the extra points) and it certainly does not impress anyone. In Philly, until you go through the PFD Academy and prove yourself during your probation, you aint schit.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Disco_Stew View Post
    Anyways, hope your satisfied with my answer, Buff. If you, or anyone else have any personal questions (because I'm pretty sure I can't answer any questions, in regards to the test), then ask away.
    This is a forum about PFD and about the hiring process. You say you have no answers regarding the test, and you're not on PFD. So what kind of "personal questions" are you expecting anyone on here to ask you?

Thread Information