Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 24 of 134 FirstFirst ... 14212223242526273474124 ... LastLast
Like Tree365Likes

Thread: Philadelphia 2011

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by nutts09 View Post
    Seems obvious enough... But somehow I find myself checking my email 49 times a day like an insane person...
    lol...i hear ya

Forum Member

Last edited by SVandro; 03-26-2012 at 09:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SVandro View Post
    good point; this is a forum. It's regarding the ENTRANCE TEST for Philadelphia. We don't need to hear about starting lawsuits and all that other bulls**t. We don't care that your disgruntled asses used to have to use yellow pages, or that your department and city is run by blacks. Of course you want us to start a lawsuit; it doesn't affect you. YOU'RE ALREADY ON THE JOB. So make like a tree, and get outta here.....

SVandro
    Forum Member

Wow his second post and he talks so salty!
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Forum Member

Last edited by SVandro; 03-26-2012 at 09:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptOldTimer View Post
    SVandro
    Forum Member

Wow his second post and he talks so salty!
    He's not allowed to talk salty until 3. Oh....wait.....never mind.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by SVandro View Post
    good point; this is a forum. It's regarding the ENTRANCE TEST for Philadelphia. We don't need to hear about starting lawsuits and all that other bulls**t. We don't care that your disgruntled asses used to have to use yellow pages, or that your department and city is run by blacks. Of course you want us to start a lawsuit; it doesn't affect you. YOU'RE ALREADY ON THE JOB. So make like a tree, and get outta here.....
    They're gonna love you in the academy, Svandro. Speaking of... anyone know what Recruit Class Number it would be coming up?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by nutts09 View Post
    They're gonna love you in the academy, Svandro. Speaking of... anyone know what Recruit Class Number it would be coming up?
    the next class will be the 186

Forum Member

Ok when everyone is done playing who's pecker is bigger game maybe someone can post something productive... Maybe when they plan on anouncing the scores... I want to thank the guys on here that are using this forum for its true purpose and the others that use this as a ****ing contest... find the virtual door and leave...

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CFD8 View Post
    Ok when everyone is done playing who's pecker is bigger game maybe someone can post something productive... Maybe when they plan on anouncing the scores...

Nobody on here is going to have that info.

Here's a question: What do you guys/gals OTJ think is the number-one reason why people fail or drop out of PFD's academy?

Forum Member

Why people drop out...I dont know, my guess would be personal reasons. This not being what they expected. Afterall, the first 6 weeks is EMT training and paperwork.

Why people get fired...most that I know of are for academic reasons. Mainly, the inability to pass the state EMT practical/written.

It seems most that get past the EMT part successfully complete the training academy and are transfered to a field company.

The academy isnt easy, but it isnt hard either. Put in the time and effort and you should have no problem. There are ample instructors willing to come in early and stay late to help you make it.

I am not sure how the academy is ran in todays world and if there is more of a drop out level than it was in the past.

I know when John McGrath was there, the place was ran tight and right, you better know your stuff and produce or you would be on the outside looking in!!

I wouldn't think is has changed that much.

Forum Member

Just called the city and they said some time in January they will have our score. Incase any one didn't know this information
    Last edited by thatguy123; 12-14-2011 at 07:08 PM.

If those who have applied and be lucky enough to be hired and should you pass everything at the training school, always remember this plaque hanging inside the main building.

`

Quote Originally Posted by CaptOldTimer View Post
    I know when John McGrath was there, the place was ran tight and right, you better know your stuff and produce or you would be on the outside looking in!!

I wouldn't think is has changed that much.
    .....things have changed drastically on Pennypack Street since Chief McGrath left.....and not for the better, either.

MembersZone Subscriber

I've been hearing a lot of these rumors lately. Should become interesting. The really sad thing is that because of issues that have surfaced in the not-so-distant past, the rumors become credible.

Found the following at: http://pafirenews.net/messageboard/i...?topic=6913.45

No way this test is going to produce a list. Recent rumors are rampant with corruption and cheating. Word is a test was in some applicants hands 3 weeks prior to the actual test date . Also cell phones were being used as recording devices, then info passed on to the afternoon sessions. Some phones numbers as well as the tests are in the authority's hands. Not really one to spread rumors but sounds like there is smoke showing............This oughtta make some of the cheating bastards squirm, if you are one of them, I hope you get caught and outted so we all know who ya are in case you ever do get hired we know not to trust ya!

Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff View Post
    .....things have changed drastically on Pennypack Street since Chief McGrath left.....and not for the better, either.

I would have guessed that. John ran a tight ship!

I know most urban FD's are about the same, looking for numbers to fill vacancies, instead of the best qualified.

Forum Member

Does anyone current or recently retired from PFD have any insight on station assignments after recruit school? After graduation are you assigned to a company or are you placed in a pool to travel for a certain amount of time, then assigned? Once on the floor and off probation are assignments governed by seniority or for the betterment of the department (Chiefs hand)?

Quote Originally Posted by RQRandy View Post
    Does anyone current or recently retired from PFD have any insight on station assignments after recruit school? After graduation are you assigned to a company or are you placed in a pool to travel for a certain amount of time, then assigned? Once on the floor and off probation are assignments governed by seniority or for the betterment of the department (Chiefs hand)?
    Unless if things have changed, probies are almost always assigned to an engine company permanently. Do your 6 month test and pass, then finish out your year, and you are off probation and still assigned to that company. Throughout your probation you will routinely get detailed to other engine and eventually ladder companies. Those with "help" can get good spots. Once off probation you can request transfer but IIRC they are based on seniority and needs.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff View Post
    Unless if things have changed, probies are almost always assigned to an engine company permanently. Do your 6 month test and pass, then finish out your year, and you are off probation and still assigned to that company. Throughout your probation you will routinely get detailed to other engine and eventually ladder companies. Those with "help" can get good spots. Once off probation you can request transfer but IIRC they are based on seniority and needs.
    Rookied can/do get assigned to ladder companies, depends on what openings there are upon graduation; by far most are sent to engines. Everything else is true except that last sentence.

Once off probation you can request transfer but IIRC they are based on seniority and needs.
    BWAH-HAHAHAHAHA!!! There *is* NO TRANSFER POLICY including and ESPECIALLY that seniority plays no role in it. You can put in requests and such but are at the mercy of the administration to be put somewhere/anywhere "for the good of the department". If you know someone, or amybe your chief or someone puts in a good word for you, maybe.
    Opinions expressed are mine alone, and do not necessarily reflect those of the Philadelphia Fire Department and/or IAFF Local 22.

Pita- note that I did not say that there is a policy, I merely said that you can request transfer.......That does not mean that it will be honored. Actually, there is an un-written transfer policy- members of 'da club can ask for and will most likely be granted transfers to any company they want at any time. Caucasian firefighters will be transferred "papers to follow" to the company the furthest distance away physically located in the City from their residence for any and all infractions as minor as having your shirt un-tucked. If you really want to get technical, the un-written policy also states that members of 'da club who commit severe infractions such as cowardice, failure to follow procedures, missing runs, etc. can not only get transferred but can get promoted as well.......ooooooh did I say that out loud?

Thread Information