Like Tree365Likes

Thread: Philadelphia 2011

Forum Member

Does everyone receive there score even if they are not on the list? I check my application and it
    still shows in scoring, not scoring complete?

Forum Member

I meant to write their and not there.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by deadbear271 View Post
    Any word on class sizes? Or how many classes this year?
    There are so many rumors out there that it is hard to keep up with them all. The latest one is two classes this spring/summer, and two this fall/winter. No word on size.

Then there is the rumor of "can they/will they hire because of the current contract negotiations?" Some say no they wont, as they dont want the new guys on the old contract, under which they would have to place you for medical and pension benefits, and some say that yes they can and will hire you and place you under a new contract with obviously newer medical and pension benefits. But I personally, as a former shop steward in another IAFF local, do not understand how that can happen without a negotiated contract in place.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

It would be nice to know how they came up with the score. I was sure I aced the written test but I must have scored just above serial killer on the second part to have to scroll that many pages to find my name. At least I made the list but I guess we will see how everything plays out.

Forum Member

Does anyone know if they will interview all the people that received a 100 on the test?? sure is a lot

Forum Member

The list says supplemental list #2. Is there another list?

Forum Member

Ok, so I know that no one really seems to know much beyond rumors, I just have a quick question....

Does anyone have any idea what your chances of getting hired are if you are sitting at around 200-215 on the list?

Like I said above, I know no one really knows, I'm just excited is all.

Thanks.

Forum Member

I'm assuming this list does not take into account the residency preference. I noticed a buddy of mine on the list who scored 100 and is ranked just above 1100. He is a philadelphia resident. It's hard to believe that out of the 900 people who scored a 100, less than 50 of them were non-city residents.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Stogie81 View Post
    The list says supplemental list #2. Is there another list?
    Yes can anyone clarify what supplemental list #2 means??

Forum Member

Here's a question to those that may know or have already been through the process. How many people are brought in for processing for a given academy? In other words, how many people are processed for every one position?
    Last edited by the shadow; 03-25-2012 at 04:25 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by unbroken136 View Post
    Yes can anyone clarify what supplemental list #2 means??
    I think that supplemental #2 just means this is the list with the supplemental points added to the scores (i.e. vets, ff1, emt).

Based on what's written at the bottom of the last page list #1 is the original based on just test scores and this is the list with the supplemental points.

Just my thought.

Forum Member

Anyone know if Philly holds any kind of protest session? I'm extremely curious to know how these personality questions were graded.

Forum Member

All I know for sure is that per City guidelines, people who publicly crow about their ranking on civil service tests and ask if they will get hired soon are automatically denied further processing.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mike75 View Post
    All I know for sure is that per City guidelines, people who publicly crow about their ranking on civil service tests and ask if they will get hired soon are automatically denied further processing.
    Not sure if you're specifically referring to me or not, but I have no interest in whining to the city about the hiring probabilities and whatnot. I'm simply asking if they hold any kind of protest session where you can view the test and answers, as other depts do.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by roadrunner09 View Post
    Not sure if you're specifically referring to me or not, but I have no interest in whining to the city about the hiring probabilities and whatnot. I'm simply asking if they hold any kind of protest session where you can view the test and answers, as other depts do.
    No, not directed to you roadrunner. I have no issue with people challenging what is certainly a sketchy test. I was directing my post to the people who for some reason seem compelled on the very day a list comes out to announce that "I am ranked number 100 or 200 something, I am super pumped up about my ranking, do you guys think I will get an interview." This especially on a test where it appears rank for identical scores is based solely on a "random" number generated by a computer. Under those circumstances, ranking at oh let's say everyone who got a 100, seems to be based on a good bit of "luck." My opinion only of course, but it seems to me that some degree of modesty might be in order where a lot of folks are probably left scratching their heads today.
    Last edited by Mike75; 03-24-2012 at 03:23 PM.

Forum Member

Gotcha....

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by craigc View Post
    I'm assuming this list does not take into account the residency preference. I noticed a buddy of mine on the list who scored 100 and is ranked just above 1100. He is a philadelphia resident. It's hard to believe that out of the 900 people who scored a 100, less than 50 of them were non-city residents.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stogie81 View Post
    It would be nice to know how they came up with the score. I was sure I aced the written test but I must have scored just above serial killer on the second part to have to scroll that many pages to find my name. At least I made the list but I guess we will see how everything plays out.
    These, and many many other questions (especially those concerning allegations about how poorly the test was administered) are questions that need to be answered immediately.

If all you guys dont get together and file a class action lawsuit with a request for an injunction to stop any and all hiring from this list in the next 30 days, you are absolutely, positively and certifiably insane.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

Good luck to every body.
    Last edited by CFD8; 03-24-2012 at 05:13 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by craigc View Post
    Is it possible that this supplemental list #2 is not the final list and list #3 will adjust rankings according to residence preference?

Forum Member

didnt do as good as I thought, if they do hire ~200 people, any word on how far theyll get on the list?

Forum Member

To answer a few questions: Civil Service regs (not that they always abide by them) require that 2 candidates be considered for each position. They still hire in rank order so it basically means that there are a lot of guys who go thru the process for no reason. The last half dozen classes have averaged around 80 cadets. Outside of any delays by lawsuits, etc., expect a class to begin summertime at the earliest.

As for residency, without people's addresses, it's hard to tell if it's been factored in. If you look at the random number column, it is in ascending order for each score, then it begins again. Perhaps the first run is residents, then the next random number run for that score is nonresidents?

Forum Member

Thanks for the info, anyone know how low the ranks are? And what they should be?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Fixxer View Post
    As for residency, without people's addresses, it's hard to tell if it's been factored in. If you look at the random number column, it is in ascending order for each score, then it begins again. Perhaps the first run is residents, then the next random number run for that score is nonresidents?
    Looking over the list, this seems to be absolutely correct about residents already at the top of each rank order.

Further looking over the list, and given that the "random number" assigned to each person seems to be the difference between being number 250 or 900 in the large "100%" catagory, I would be interested to learn exactly how those numbers came to be assigned. Seems the easiest way to be magically catapulted to the top of a large group of 1000 or so people each with identical test scores is simply to have "lucked out" with a low "computer-generated" number.
    Last edited by Mike75; 03-24-2012 at 09:35 PM.

Forum Member

This is just a list.

There is still the actual hiring process to take place.

Your rank is not your saving grace.

MembersZone Subscriber

Something is screwy. I can't believe that there are only approximately 40 non-residents out of 914 that scored 100.

Thread Information