Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 25 of 134 FirstFirst ... 15222324252627283575125 ... LastLast
Like Tree365Likes

Thread: Philadelphia 2011

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff View Post
    Pita- note that I did not say that there is a policy, I merely said that you can request transfer.......That does not mean that it will be honored. Actually, there is an un-written transfer policy- members of 'da club can ask for and will most likely be granted transfers to any company they want at any time. Caucasian firefighters will be transferred "papers to follow" to the company the furthest distance away physically located in the City from their residence for any and all infractions as minor as having your shirt un-tucked. If you really want to get technical, the un-written policy also states that members of 'da club who commit severe infractions such as cowardice, failure to follow procedures, missing runs, etc. can not only get transferred but can get promoted as well.......ooooooh did I say that out loud?
    Are you sure you don't work in Washington, DC? haha Same story, different city.

Forum Member

I really hope that the whole cheating thing is nothing more than a rumor. I spent al ot of money to come up there and test... got to love politics....

Forum Member

Can you guys - particularly ones who don't actually work in Philly - stop trying to scare people off? Here is a serious, non-jaded response to the question about assignments out of Fire Academy. This, at least, is how it worked for the last few classes:

At your graduation you will receive a certificate from the Commissioner with your initial assignment on it. You can be assigned wherever there are vacancies - engines or ladders. Sometimes, if you do particularly well in Academy (e.g., receive an academic or physical fitness award, or make a good impression on the Academy staff), you will be assigned to a busy spot off the bat. This can also happen if you have family on the job, know someone coming in, etc. More often than not, you go where the vacancies are, which tend to be slower spots.

If you do your time, keep your nose clean, don't go off sick, etc., you may be lucky enough to put a ticket in and get moved to a busier spot. A lot of times great guys get crappy spots, and they get stuck there, and it sucks. One of the best all around FFs from our class got stuck in the slowest ladder in the city for almost 5 years - he finally got a good spot a month or so ago. It stinks, but as Pita said, there is no actual transfer policy, so it is what it is.

And for the record, there are plenty of white males who get great spots - myself included. There are also plenty of great black and hispanic FFs who get stuck in crappy assignments and get messed with by the administration. Oh, and there are plenty of bums of all races and both sexes. This is the best job on earth and, IMHO no one does it like Philly. The best thing that could happen to this department is a bunch of motivated, dedicated new recruits to come on and take away my OT, so don't get discouraged by the BS, do some running and push ups and hopefully we'll see you at the big one.

Forum Member

^^^Finally, a breath of fresh air.

Forum Member

Hey guys, was on the Philly fire news forums last night because this site wouldn't work on my computer for some reason...and someone on there posted that the test results/hiring list will be available end of this month..

MembersZone Subscriber

Surprised this wasn't mentioned already - it was the top story on firehouse.com when it came out.

The Efficiency Study for PFD has been released. It is 289 pages of various recommendations for reallocating assets, improving morale, improving service delivery, and all manner of other aspects of this department. It is a rather scathing evaluation of the current department, manageent, ,and administration.

The full report (About 11MB):
    http://www.picapa.org/filestream.asp...Fire_Study.pdf

Report blasts Philadelphia Fire Department (WPVI/6ABC) (I especially like the Commissioner's soundbite here. Of course he doesn't see it, he CAUSES it.)

Study rips management operations of Philadelphia Fire Department (CBS3)

Study: Philadelphia Fire Department needs overhaul (FOX29)

Study on Philadelphia Fire Department urges bold action to meet goals (Phila. Inquirer

Report: Tensions Rile Fire Department (Phila. Inquirer)
    Opinions expressed are mine alone, and do not necessarily reflect those of the Philadelphia Fire Department and/or IAFF Local 22.

Forum Member

Question

What's the URL for the other fire house forum ?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by mrpita View Post
    Surprised this wasn't mentioned already - it was the top story on firehouse.com when it came out.

The Efficiency Study for PFD has been released. [/URL]
    After skimming the report, it looks as if another large group of PFD members are going to be retiring in 2013...? Forgive me if I don't have my facts straight, but is this in addition to the big group retiring in 2012, as mentioned in this forum? Or is this the same already-anticipated group?

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by nutts09 View Post
    After skimming the report, it looks as if another large group of PFD members are going to be retiring in 2013...? Forgive me if I don't have my facts straight, but is this in addition to the big group retiring in 2012, as mentioned in this forum? Or is this the same already-anticipated group?
    That group in 2013 is the large group already mentioned. I forget the exact numbers, but something on the order of 200 members gone by July 1 next year. Including every deputy chief and half our battallion chiefs - something I hadn't realized before this report.
    Opinions expressed are mine alone, and do not necessarily reflect those of the Philadelphia Fire Department and/or IAFF Local 22.

Quote Originally Posted by mrpita View Post

The Efficiency Study for PFD has been released. It is 289 pages of various recommendations for reallocating assets, improving morale, improving service delivery, and all manner of other aspects of this department. It is a rather scathing evaluation of the current department, manageent, ,and administration.

The full report (About 11MB):

Report blasts Philadelphia Fire Department (WPVI/6ABC) (I especially like the Commissioner's soundbite here. Of course he doesn't see it, he CAUSES it.)

Study rips management operations of Philadelphia Fire Department (CBS3)

Study: Philadelphia Fire Department needs overhaul (FOX29)

Study on Philadelphia Fire Department urges bold action to meet goals (Phila. Inquirer

Report: Tensions Rile Fire Department (Phila. Inquirer)

Philly just completed a study on their Dept. Some of the findings sound exactly like the current conditions within the DCFD.

Some recommendations:

1. Move to a 24 hours shift from the 10-14s that Philly uses (LOL)
    2. Do away with the aides because of new technology
    3. Close several companies and place cross trained ambos in service.

Don't know if this link works but the PDF can be found online.

I think if I were looking for a job, I'd look elsewhere at a better ran department.

Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

MembersZone Subscriber

Anyone on the job have any insight as to how the Efficiency Study might affect incoming recruits? For instance, if the department decides to cross-train paramedics into FF/PMs, wouldn't that take up a class or two in itself, pushing us "outside" candidates WAY back on the hiring list?

Or any other thoughts?

Forum Member

I don't understand having paramedics cross trained in fire suppression. I could see offering incentive for firefighters to become paramedics. It just isn't logical to have engines/ladders/squad Cos divert their attention to medical calls.

I understand the need, in the event of a bus not being close to the call then an engine can go, but Why take fire apparatus and man power away from their primary goal? and why take medics away from their primary goal? It does not seem all that logical to me.

Forum Member

Does anyone have any information when the test results are going to be released?

Forum Member

Not to start an argument, but Griff this is 2012. Philadelphia is a very traditional department. In order to expand and ensure job security, why not become paramedics and run medic engines? It boosts run numbers (this isn't 1970 when people went to multiple jobs in a tour) and makes the FD seen by the public more, as well as do what is best for the community and the people; the best level of response possible. I am not sure of PFD but do they go first responder? Would you prefer a first responder or a paranedic engine going to your mothers house? If it hires more guys then you should be all for it.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by FireFighterCanididate1 View Post
    I am not sure of PFD but do they go first responder? Would you prefer a first responder or a paranedic engine going to your mothers house? If it hires more guys then you should be all for it.
    And so back to the original question: Would the cross-training for FF/PMs reduce the need for us new recruits?

Forum Member

I'm all about creating jobs..and I am fully aware that the majority of runs are EMS based..I am an EMT, I took the course to be better suited when competing for a career job, however, paramedic costs around 12,000 dollars for a certification, and I'm not sure about anywhere else, but up my way it is a year long, 5 days a week 8-5 class. That is a lot to ask of someone who is already on the job. time wise, as well as financially. I'm not saying I wouldn't get my medic to be a firefighter, but I want to be a good firefighter and emt-b first before I get all nuts with medic certs.

Forum Member

So back to the important stuff. Any word on test results?

Forum Member

Hey guys, went on to the philly fire test facebook page and 1 of the guys on there said his test results said "in scoring" so I logged into the site (the same site that you used for your practice test) and mine said "in scoring" I want to say that means..with in a passing score...but it could also mean..that it is being scored.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BigGriffC12 View Post
    Hey guys, went on to the philly fire test facebook page and 1 of the guys on there said his test results said "in scoring" so I logged into the site (the same site that you used for your practice test) and mine said "in scoring" I want to say that means..with in a passing score...but it could also mean..that it is being scored.
    Mine also says "in scoring". Unfortunately, I think this mean that they are "in the process of scoring all tests". I think they would have simply used "Passed" if they were trying to say I had a passing score.

Forum Member

Trying to think positive

Thread Information