Like Tree365Likes

Thread: Philadelphia 2011

Forum Member

Facebook page:
    Philly fire test

MembersZone Subscriber

Good news (hopefully).

I received this today from a union official:

This is the latest response from the city (Phila. Human Resources) regarding the entrance exam for firefighter as 3-14-12.

"All candidates who took the Firefighter exam will be notified according to their preference. The default is e-mail notification, but candidates may request US mail notification.

We are working on the notices and should send them soon. the volume (almost 6,000) is prolonging the process."

Forum Member

Some news is better than none I guess.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Long Time View Post

Add a zero to that for the current FDNY exam...

Forum Member

Car 1 stated the list was complete and notifications are in the process of being made to applicants. He also stated they are looking to hire two classes at once.

Quote Originally Posted by BigGuyPhilly View Post
    "All candidates who took the Firefighter exam will be notified according to their preference. The default is e-mail notification, but candidates may request US mail notification.
    And if you do NOT request to receive the US Mail notification, to quote Red Forman: "You're dumb. And you're an a s s. YOU'RE A DUMBASS!"
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

ok...so.... BigGuyPhilly, Philly10...

being notified by preference, does this mean that only those at the "top" of the list are being notified right away, or does it mean we are all being notified to be informed of our spot (or preference) on the list? I am new to this type of testing...

Also, do we request snail mail notification before getting notice? How would we know to do that without this forum?

Obviously I'm a little confused, I apologize...

Forum Member

So how bad is it that mine still says in scoring and not scoring complete ?

Unfourtnally it is going to be skin tone that gets hired.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by thatguy123 View Post
    So how bad is it that mine still says in scoring and not scoring complete ?
    I would call HR or the exam unit. I had that happen to me with a different test and got it changed on the spot.
    Last edited by unbroken136; 03-16-2012 at 04:13 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

And.... if we are being notified by preference, what about the banding? Or does this mean our preference is being delineated by what band we are in?
    Last edited by unbroken136; 03-16-2012 at 04:15 PM.

Forum Member

Does anyone even know how long ago we took this test? I abandoned hope a long time ago.. I'm surprised they are even bothering to score the tests after reading everything in here.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by unbroken136 View Post
    And.... if we are being notified by preference, what about the banding? Or does this mean our preference is being delineated by what band we are in?
    I believe the preference they are talking about is our preference on how we want to be notified - e-mail or mail. I think everyone is going to be notified of their score, but I don't know how the banding is going to play into it.

Quote Originally Posted by unbroken136 View Post
    This is precisely the kind of schit all you guys should have been demanding WRITTEN answers for prior to the test....remember, it's not too late for all of you to get together and file a lawsuit!!!!!!
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by nutts09 View Post
    ok...so.... BigGuyPhilly, Philly10...

being notified by preference, does this mean that only those at the "top" of the list are being notified right away, or does it mean we are all being notified to be informed of our spot (or preference) on the list? I am new to this type of testing...

Also, do we request snail mail notification before getting notice? How would we know to do that without this forum?

Obviously I'm a little confused, I apologize...
    Usually, all the notifications go out the same day. This type of testing (banding) is new to everyone in Philly. If the city would have scored the Booklet portion of the exam rather than just have it pass/fail, that score combined with the Personality test would have permitted a ranked list instead of this "banding" of scores.

As far as requesting snail mail notification, that might have been part of the application process, or an option that was offered at the actual exam. I don't know the answer to that one.

I think that there will be many more questions once the results are posted, unfortunately.

Forum Member

Not sure if any of you read phillyfirenews.com. But word on the street is They are starting with 2 classes and already have the candidates picked. And processing for the preselected begins 4/16. Having read the forum in awhile so don't know if anyone said this but here ya go....

http://pafirenews.net/messageboard/i...topic=6913.120
    Last edited by truckieboy4953; 03-20-2012 at 06:31 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

I'm wondering if the use of banding is going to effectively make it impossible for non-city residents to be hired. Hypothetically, if I got a 95 but am banded in with hundreds or thousand of other people who are all the same band color as I am (i.e. scores from 94-100), how will that work out?

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by MFES View Post
    I'm wondering if the use of banding is going to effectively make it impossible for non-city residents to be hired. Hypothetically, if I got a 95 but am banded in with hundreds or thousand of other people who are all the same band color as I am (i.e. scores from 94-100), how will that work out?
    Good question. The Civil Service Regs state that if a city resident and a non-city resident are tied, the city resident gets preference. Does being in the same band constitute a tie? Things to call and ask the Human Resources Dept.

MembersZone Subscriber

Hope that this is useful information from the Philadelphia Civil Service Regulations:

9.067 - RANK ON ELIGIBLE LISTS. Rank on an eligible list shall be in order of relative excellence in the examination as determined by the final passing average grade plus credits authorized by law, collective bargaining agreement or regulation for:

veterans preference or legacy preference for open competitive examinations
    performance ratings and seniority for career advancement or promotional examinations
    education or other factors as defined by these regulations for specified open competitive or promotional examinations.

When two or more competitors have the same final average (including credits), rank order among the tied competitors shall be determined by ranking their names:
    first, by their grades on the part of the examination which has the greatest weight, and
    second, by their grades on the remaining weighted parts in order of de¨creasing weight;
    for open competitive examinations administered on or after November 5, 2008, candidates who have maintained a bona fide residence in Philadelphia for at least one year prior to the date of the civil service examination shall have priority over all other persons receiving an identical test score;
    such as remain tied, by computer assigned random numbers, or such other appropriate procedure as the Director may determine.

10.02 - EFFECTIVE DATE OF ELIGIBLE LIST.

10.021 - PUBLISHED LIST OF CANDIDATES. A list signed and approved by the Director or his/her designee containing the scores, rank and status of all candidates eligible to compete in an examination. The Published List of Candidates will be used to notify candidates of their score, rank and status. The Published List of Candidates may not be used for certification and appointment until it has been established by the Director or his/her designee. The time limit for review of examination results as defined in Regulations 9.09 and 9.11 shall begin on the date that the Published List of Candidates is approved by the Director or his/her designee.

10.022 - ESTABLISHED ELIGIBLE LIST. A Published List of Candidates will be considered an Established Eligible List on the date that the list is signed and approved as ready for certification by the Director or his/her designee. Eligible candidates may be certified and appointed at any time after the list has been established until the list expires or is exhausted or cancelled. The Director may publish a List of Candidates and establish an eligible list at separate times or simultaneously as deemed necessary or desirable to meet the needs of the service. The duration of the eligible list will be determined by the date that the list is signed and designated as an Established Eligible List.

10.07 - DURATION AND REPLACEMENT OF LISTS.

10.071 - NON-CONTINUOUS AND PERIODIC LISTS. Eligible lists established as the result of non-continuous or periodic examinations shall continue in force for at least one year from the date that the list is signed and designated as an Established Eligible List until exhausted or replaced but in no case longer than two years. When a more recent list has been established for a class, the Director may determine that a previous non-continuous or periodic list for that class, which is more than one year old, shall be canceled and replaced by the more recently established list, or consolidated in accordance with Regulation 10.08 if it has been determined that the selection process used to create both eligible lists is equivalent in content and level of difficulty.

MembersZone Subscriber

That is helpful, thank you. Hopefully that means we will get a numerical score of some sort. It seems plausible, particularly because they are awarding specific points for emt, etc.

Thread Information