Like Tree365Likes

Thread: Philadelphia 2011

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Randomname2 View Post
    53 is 16 points BELOW what is generally considered a failing score. The more I hear, the more sick I get.
    Let me clarify it was 53 out of 80 not 53% but still 53 out of 80 is a 66%

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Randomname2 View Post
    53 is 16 points BELOW what is generally considered a failing score. The more I hear, the more sick I get.
    I agree, no wait I strongly agree.

MembersZone Subscriber

It is my understanding that the recent list is to be thrown out, or more specifically rescored and/or re-ranked. It seems there were more than several individuals who did not have points added for a variety of reasons, such as vets not getting vet points, EMTs/Medics not getting those points, etc. So, the list needs to be remade and some of those 100s may now be 102s, 110s, 112s, etc.

[EDIT: I just reread that and it could be misleading. If you are on the list, you will remain - they are not completely tossing the list. However, you may drop in rank/position - for example, if you have 100 (Seems most of the list is). There likely will be dozens or more people who are going to have their scores changed to reflect missing points, and say if 30 people are also scored 100 and get 10 vet points added, everyone from 109 down will drop 30 positions. Sorry for any confusion my original post held, it's been a long couple days here.]

I'm told that there is/was fine print in the announcements or some other communique to the effect of "The City reserves right to modify list within 30 days for corrections" or something like that; I've not seen any form of these communications so I can't say where to look for it, or quote it more precisely. I do apologize for that, but I'm just trying to put out the information I have heard.

As for those who are surprised at the alleged low passing grade - remember, this is the department that had a passing grade of I think it was 42 for a promotional test a few years back.
    Last edited by mrpita; 04-10-2012 at 12:52 PM. Reason: Did not wish to cause panic
    Opinions expressed are mine alone, and do not necessarily reflect those of the Philadelphia Fire Department and/or IAFF Local 22.

MembersZone Subscriber

The commissioner did testify at Wednesday's City Council budget hearing that the dept. plans to have two classes begin in July to address immediate openings (approx. 150 by his count) and another two classes in January to address the planned attrition for the next year (about another 150, most of whom retire in June 2013).
    Opinions expressed are mine alone, and do not necessarily reflect those of the Philadelphia Fire Department and/or IAFF Local 22.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by mrpita View Post
    The commissioner did testify at Wednesday's City Council budget hearing that the dept. plans to have two classes begin in July to address immediate openings (approx. 150 by his count) and another two classes in January to address the planned attrition for the next year (about another 150, most of whom retire in June 2013).
    Much thanks for the continuous updates, mrpita

Forum Member

Does anyone have an idea how many applicants the dept usually goes through to get a class (i.e. the attrition rate)?

For example, for 2 classes of 150 ppl - how far down the list will they go? Maybe 200-250?

If we're looking at 300 by next January - at what spot on the list do ppl have a realistic chance of getting on? 500/600?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Forum Member

Most places go 3:1 give or take. Granted there is no physical which isn't good for those who would pass that.

Forum Member

Wow this thread died, I am assuming that the recruit class is about six months according to the class starting in July and the next one starting in Jan. Is this a safe assumption? Any info on the recruit class would be great, I looked on-line and really couldn't find to much info on it.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CFD8 View Post
    Wow this thread died, I am assuming that the recruit class is about six months according to the class starting in July and the next one starting in Jan. Is this a safe assumption? Any info on the recruit class would be great, I looked on-line and really couldn't find to much info on it.
    Considering the recent events....possible wake up call for many??

As per the PFD website:

•Fire recruits attend the Academy for five months of intense training. This training consists of two months Emergency Medical Technician training, daily Physical Fitness training, two months of Fire Suppression training, and one month of Hazardous Materials Operations training and Emergency Vehicle Operations training.

Forum Member

I wouldn't say "wake up call". People were just being respectful. Another reason for the stop is there isn't much left to say. 150 in July. 150 in January. They will double up on letters sent out, which puts us at 600 for the first year of the list. Maybe they will put in just as many for the second year of the list. So what else is left to say?

Forum Member

Does anyone have an idea as to when orientation letters for the July classes will go out?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Upsidedown View Post
    They will double up on letters sent out, which puts us at 600 for the first year of the list.
    How do you know that?

Quote Originally Posted by the shadow View Post
    Does anyone have an idea as to when orientation letters for the July classes will go out?
    You've already passed the interview and everything, eh, shadow?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by nutts09 View Post
    How do you know that?

You've already passed the interview and everything, eh, shadow?
    No, I thought that orientation letters were for the interviews/background portion of the process. Am I wrong?

Forum Member

Hey..I tried to email ms drummond to get a fax number so i can send in my fire 1 and emt cert to re adjust my points..anyone got a number or a better email address because my email got sent back to me.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by BigGriffC12 View Post
    Hey..I tried to email ms drummond to get a fax number so i can send in my fire 1 and emt cert to re adjust my points..anyone got a number or a better email address because my email got sent back to me.
    Email should be audrey.drummond@phila.gov

Phone number is listed as 215-686-2345

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BigGriffC12 View Post
    Something like that should be sent in by certified mail/return receipt so that they cannot say "we never got it."
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

Would it be smart to think that they will not start contacting people until after the 30 days for add points to ranking. And also I'm ranked in the mid 800s I'm guessing I prolly won't get called for the July classes. Would I more than likely be interviewed for the January class? How many people will get interviewed for this first class? First 300 ranked, 500 ranked? What would it be?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff View Post
    Something like that should be sent in by certified mail/return receipt so that they cannot say "we never got it."
    Never send any certicficates or related material to any one in HR by email. Always send it by US Mail Certified and return receipt. As FWD said, they can and will most of the time, will say "I never seen it of received that in my email"!!

Remember, they are not your friend unless you are one of them.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Forum Member

Is there anything someone in the low 200s should be doing to get prepared? Besides hoping his ranking doesn't drop dramatically due to other candidates extra points ...

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by the shadow View Post
    No, I thought that orientation letters were for the interviews/background portion of the process. Am I wrong?
    Yes, you are wrong. Orientation is for those individuals whom are selected as a potential candidate to become a recruit. Orientation is where you fill out your "job application" and learn about the hiring process- what happens when, where to go, who to report to, etc etc etc. You will also receive reams of forms for your medical exam, background check, etc etc etc.

They usually call a hundred candidates or so to orientation in the hopes of cultivating 50 or so recruits. Once they comb through everyone's paperwork, do backgrounds, and weed them out, you may or may not receive a notice to report for your medical exam. Once you successfully clear medical exam, then you receive an offer of employment. At least thats how they did it 10+ years ago.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff View Post
    Yes, you are wrong. Orientation is for those individuals whom are selected as a potential candidate to become a recruit. Orientation is where you fill out your "job application" and learn about the hiring process- what happens when, where to go, who to report to, etc etc etc. You will also receive reams of forms for your medical exam, background check, etc etc etc.

They usually call a hundred candidates or so to orientation in the hopes of cultivating 50 or so recruits. Once they comb through everyone's paperwork, do backgrounds, and weed them out, you may or may not receive a notice to report for your medical exam. Once you successfully clear medical exam, then you receive an offer of employment. At least thats how they did it 10+ years ago.
    Thanks, I really appreciate any and all feedback regarding this process. I have been in several processes but this is my first test with Philadelphia. I have been following the posts back from their last test and have been taking bits and pieces from the guys who have gotten hired to try and understand Philly's process. I ranked rather well and I'm just trying to stay ahead of the game.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by deadbear271 View Post
    Is there anything someone in the low 200s should be doing to get prepared? Besides hoping his ranking doesn't drop dramatically due to other candidates extra points ...
    Nothing really, other than waiting. Don't quit your day job until everything is definite. You can start doing some cardio and working out, so if you get into the Academy, the PT won't be bad.

Forum Member

Thanks BigGuy

Forum Member

I am in the low 300's on the list how is my chances for gettin in the second class?....and has anyone heard anything about the letters goin out thanks

Forum Member

unbelievable

Thread Information