Like Tree365Likes

Thread: Philadelphia 2011

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by dbask View Post
    I hear the academy does a lot of running iam talking like 10 miles.
    Is there any other things they do besides run
    If the academy is still run like the days of old......If it was done at boot camp, it is done at the PFD Academy. A full program of calisthenics (sp?) every morning, first thing. Push ups, sit ups, pull ups........MrPita or Philly10 can comment better.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

I hear the academy does a lot of running iam talking like 10 miles.
    Is there any other things they do besides run
    every morning starts with pt there is alot of running but now its mostly done up and down the burn tower in past years you would run on the street but they do not do that anymore also you do basics like pushups situps and so on it really depends on the PT insrtuctor and the PT only last an hour then you scramble to get dressed and on to class the first few months is all EMS and if you pass that you move on to fire side

ljm
    Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by dumpsdad View Post
    ok the number are out new york fire 11,000 fireman and 350 black the windy city 80 percent white miam dade 15 percent black and you guys talk fair
    For all you know those numbers might be fair. So as an example take Chicago...80% of the FF are white. If 80% of the applicants were white then yeah...those numbers are most likely fair.

My point being this...there is all this talk of FD's needing to having the same racial makeup of the city, that only makes sense if the applicant pool breaks down that way. If 100% of the applicants are white, how can anybody sit around and scream that it's not fair that only white people were hired? Would you find it odd if 80 applicants were black and 20 white, and the FD goes and hires 10 black guys and 10 white guys? I mean that shows that only 8% of black applicants are getting hired vs 50% of the white applicants. If you find that messed up then you now understand what every mid 20 to mid 30 year old white male applying is facing.

Once you provide the racial make up of the applicant field you MIGHT have an argument about being fair....but let's face it, if you personally do not take the time to study and better your scores there is nobody to blame but yourself.
    Last edited by ljm; 07-28-2011 at 10:56 AM.

Forum Member

Hey is anyone aware of the bodyfat/bodymass I read about in the old philly thread? someone mentioned that it had to do with their insurance company? anyone familiar with what I'm talking about?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by dumpsdad View Post
    ok the number are out new york fire 11,000 fireman and 350 black the windy city 80 percent white miam dade 15 percent black and you guys talk fair
    you ever think that its because most black people don't grow up wanting to be firefighters?

Forum Member

I hope the PFD Training School is like it was when Captain John McGrath, now Chief of Raleigh NC FD, was there. It was ran with great efficiently and some good members where graduated back then.

Recruit school should never be done lightly. It should be tough but achievable by anyone who is attending. Those who can't meet the expectations and achieve high scores on written and practical exercises, should not be waved on through to become a liability of a fire company for the next 20 to 25 years.

This is where a new member learns the basis that will stay with them throughout their career.

Discipline, respect and knowledge is the top priority.
    Last edited by CaptOldTimer; 07-28-2011 at 04:35 PM.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BigGriffC12 View Post
    Hey is anyone aware of the bodyfat/bodymass I read about in the old philly thread? someone mentioned that it had to do with their insurance company? anyone familiar with what I'm talking about?
    if your your too fat they will not let you through th physical but if it`s just a few extra LBS you`ll burn that off in the academy

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaptOldTimer View Post
    I hope the PFD Training School is like it was when Captain John McGrath, now Chief of Raleigh NC FD, was there.
    I highly doubt it was run the way Capt McGrath ran it due to the crybabies of today. Have you ever seen the show "FIRE!", produced by the Philadelphia PBS station about the PFD? He is spotlighted in it several times.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by philly10 View Post
    if your your too fat they will not let you through th physical but if it`s just a few extra LBS you`ll burn that off in the academy
    Well, what is a few extra pounds? low blood pressure and a good looking EKG.like whats the standard?

Forum Member

One more question..If I obtain the PA EMT-B say..a month after the test date..would they add the 3 points to my overall score? or is that wishful thinking?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff View Post
    I highly doubt it was run the way Capt McGrath ran it due to the crybabies of today. Have you ever seen the show "FIRE!", produced by the Philadelphia PBS station about the PFD? He is spotlighted in it several times.

Yes I've not only have seen it, I have it and it was shown, the Philly part, to the boots at my fd when they came through. John and I made a few classes together at the NFA.

You are right about the cry babies nowdays. They bellache about climbing ladders and wearing scbas as they think they are too heavy. These ladders are heavy, sir. These fans are heavy, sir.

I wore steel bottles back in the early 1960's!

Fat bodies may not make it throught the worm!!
    Last edited by CaptOldTimer; 07-29-2011 at 10:19 AM.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Forum Member

How does the pfd feel about records that was expunged

Forum Member

It gets really really aggravating seeing all this crap..Idiots can't even use spell check on their computers..It really fires me up..I'm going to spray tan myself orange and claim umpa loompa status on the exam and score a 110 with vets points..
    first of all if you think them numbers are fair your f... crazy if they would have did it right at first they they would not to go back and do it right now you ekin

Forum Member

First of all, please learn how to spell, take a basic English class. Those numbers are fair..you know why? because every person who is a minority in those departments are there because they WANTED to be there, not because some idiots who live in a gated community somewhere else wants them to be there. If you don't study, if you don't work out like you want the job, you DO NOT deserve the job..the welfare and food stamp line is over there, feel free to stand in it. As for me, I'll be studying for the test and working out for the academy. Take your "fair" crap and get out of here.
    what in the hell does food stamps and welfare has to with being fare **** i guess blacks,females, are dumb you got these big departments that hired son, cousins, favors, and more

Forum Member

One more question..If I obtain the PA EMT-B say..a month after the test date..would they add the 3 points to my overall score? or is that wishful thinking?
    not sure how the scoring is done it`s a whole new format this time
    Well, what is a few extra pounds? low blood pressure and a good looking EKG.like whats the standard?
    there are no EKG`s done and as long as your not really overweight you should be ok but you should also try to go in already in shape so you won`t have to worry about it the instructors don`t want to see a bunch of fat bodys

Forum Member

Sorry wishful thinking....

Additional Credits for Firefighter Examination

1. Any Fire Service Paramedic with five (5) or more years of service as a Fire Service Paramedic who takes and passes the open competitive examination for the class of Firefighter shall have an additional ten (10) points added to his or her examination score. The employees must have completed the five years of service in accordance with the requirements for determining eligibility to compete in examinations defined in Regulation 7.08.

2. Pending Approval by the Administrative Board -
    Additional points will be added to the examination score of any candidate who has passed the open competitive examination and who is currently certified as a /an :

Firefighter 1 by the Office of the State Fire Commissioner of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania; AND / OR
    Emergency Medical Technician (Basic or Paramedic) by the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania

Such candidates will be awarded:

Two (2) points for certification as a Firefighter 1 and / or
    Three (3) points for certification as an Emergency Medical Technician.

Candidates must possess and must submit documentation of the above certifications no later than November 19, 2011.
    Requests for additional points submitted after November 19, 2011 will not be approved.
    Last edited by Stogie81; 07-29-2011 at 09:57 AM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Wow, this whole thread took a turn. Not that I'm surprised - some websites have been sued for less than what appears here. I am with Fuss and Philly10 - I don't give a F what color you are outside, it's your character that counts. Workers and bums come in all colors. There's black guys on this job I'd give my left nut for, there's white guys on this job that - well, I can't say it because then it's "premeditated". That said, there does appear to be a concerted effort by some in power to try to manipulate various portions of the process to benefit black candidates. It is ironic though - the ones who keep saying blacks can't compete are black, so who's the racist? There is racial tension in this job, in this city, and I think it fair that any candidate know that prior to applying. Suffice to say, it's not enough for me to dissuade anyone from going for it, we're still the best job in the world.

ANYWAY, there have been a few questions thrown out about the hiring process, academy, etc., so let's get this back on track.

Hiring prospects - have had numerous PMs and questions about "How many openings? Are they really gonna hire, or this making a list just to make a list? How many classes? How many in a class?" Etc., etc., etc.
    This is simple and difficult to answer. The simple part is, we have (a lot of - maybe 200?) openings now, and are projected to get many more openings. Each month there are some who retire. In 2013, there is a big projection of I think 150+ who are going to "DROP" at the same time. So over the course of the list, there will be HUNDREDS of vacancies. Typically we get about 5 classes from a hiring list, and put about 80-90 in a class.

The complication is what the City does in terms of cuts. The current mayor has permanently cut 5 engines and 2 ladder companies, to the tune of 120 ositions lost. Additionally, they permanently cut some 57 unfilled vacancies in companies that had the minimum or less assigned. That doesn't even mention the 3 companies we "brown out" everyday - no positions were lost by that move. There are all kinds of rumors about the possibility of more cuts, reductions, and so on. So while there are hundreds of vaccancies planned, we may reduce by attrition instead of replacing those members.
    What's the academy like? Etc.
    As mentioned above, "Disney on the Delaware" (your interpretation, it's fun to go train, or it's a Mickey Mouse operation) is still in the NE and is a bootcamp-style academy lasting about 5 months. The typical day starts with formation, then PT, then classroom and/or practical work and ends with housework. PT is usually 1/2 hour of calisthenics then a group/formation run. "Push'em ups", leg lifts, mountain climbers, sit-ups, etc. As you go further in the academy they build the run to greater distances, first day is I think a mile, at the end you're doing a couple miles.

It's been mentioned, the first so many weeks are EMT class, even if you're an EMT, a paramedic, a nurse, or a trauma surgeon you still have to sit there and become an EMT again. The fireside takes the remainder of time, and by the end now you get FF-II, HazMat OPS, BVR, etc.
    Hiring process - "Will this test be easy? What is the test format? How does this test compare to others you have taken?" Etc.
    I don't know much about this test coming up, other than what is on the City website. I have never seen the test of the type they are now using, so I cannot compare it to what I took. The only test I took was the old "coloring book" test. It was a study guide as stupid as a coloring book, and if you memorized the book , you got 100 on the test. I took it once, didn't really study that hard, and got 96. I was hired with no vet points, etc., so it can/could be done.

I have heard some horrible things in the last few days, I don't know if they're true. The new one is a two part test (TPM and WSI) - one has a study guide (and presumably real, defined answers), the other has no study material AND "no correct answers". The rumors I hear: The study guide part will be 100 questions, and pass/fail. No word on what exactly is pass or fail, though. Maybe you need to get 10 right, maybe you need 85 right. The other section, with "no correct answers", will be 6-8 questions and will be graded. But instead of a straight grade, and corresponding ranking, the grades will be "banded" so maybe a 85 is consdiered the same as a 90, etc. Of course with so few qestions in this section, that won't matter because everyone will be in the same grade/rank groups from the get go. I really hope I'm wrong (and my source as well) about that.
    Opinions expressed are mine alone, and do not necessarily reflect those of the Philadelphia Fire Department and/or IAFF Local 22.

Forum Member

I had something on my record 2 years ago but since then I have gotten my background expunged. Do anyone think this will affect me getting hired in anyway

MembersZone Subscriber

I had something on my record 2 years ago but since then I have gotten my background expunged. Do anyone think this will affect me getting hired in anyway
    Depends on a lot of factors. Nature of the crime, were you then juvenile/now adult, severity (Felony is an automatic disqualifier, even if expunged; you must be able to be an EMT per the state Dept. of Health requirements), extenuating circumstances, etc. etc.

Best advice - disclose it when it comes time, even expunged records are accessible in our background checks. You will have a chance to explain later in the process to a panel of chiefs and/or the commissioner. Expect several lectures (rightfully so) about public trust and how your record diminishes that. I had a clean record and was still constantly reminded how we are the only branch of government that regularly enters a person's house w/out warrants, etc., yet we're still one of the most highly regarded branches of government by the public.

If it's not a felony, and not an arson/related type charge, it probably won't be an automatic disqualifier, but understand you are starting at a disadvantage. So, the "rest of you" has to be that much better than everyone else.
    Last edited by mrpita; 07-29-2011 at 02:21 PM.
    Opinions expressed are mine alone, and do not necessarily reflect those of the Philadelphia Fire Department and/or IAFF Local 22.

MembersZone Subscriber

<<< Additionally, they permanently cut some 57 unfilled vacancies in companies that had the minimum or less assigned.>>>

Not to get off on a tangent, but is the minimum staffing still four on an engine and five on a ladder, or has cutting those vacancies changed that sometimes?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by mrpita View Post
    Depends on a lot of factors. Nature of the crime, were you then juvenile/now adult, severity (Felony is an automatic disqualifier, even if expunged; you must be able to be an EMT per the state Dept. of Health requirements), extenuating circumstances, etc. etc.

Best advice - disclose it when it comes time, even expunged records are accessible in our background checks. You will have a chance to explain later in the process to a panel of chiefs and/or the commissioner. Expect several lectures (rightfully so) about public trust and how your record diminishes that. I had a clean record and was still constantly reminded how we are the only branch of government that regularly enters a person's house w/out warrants, etc., yet we're still one of the most highly regarded branches of government by the public.

If it's not a felony, and not an arson/related type charge, it probably won't be an automatic disqualifier, but understand you are starting at a disadvantage. So, the "rest of you" has to be that much better than everyone else.
    Here is my problem to sum my situation up. I had an narcotics case. Intent to deliver but the charge was dismissed. Never got convicted of anything but like you was saying expunged records will come up definitely if it was a felony or if you were convicted.

The more I find out about the job iam starting to like it. I remener we got into a disagreement about the money and how much they pay. I don't even care about the money no more. Being on this site and talking to different people, my views are different now

Forum Member

Including someone based solely upon their race is equally as wrong as excluding someone based solely upon their race. I challenge anyone to find the flaw in that statement.

Forum Member

Listen f da race ish. Race ain't got ish to do with someone getting 100 on the test. . Buff started this thread to dead all that b.s from the last thread. Start asking questions about trying to be a ff.

Forum Member

Only a few days left - make sure you get signed up!

MembersZone Subscriber

Could someone describe how the suppression side provides EMS? I know they go on some medicals, and I also know that the firefighters are staffing BLS ambulances. Is the department trending away from single-role EMS workers or are they just using firefighters because the EMS side is so short staffed?

Thread Information