Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 134 FirstFirst 1234561353103 ... LastLast
Like Tree365Likes

Thread: Philadelphia 2011

Quote Originally Posted by dumpsdad View Post
    you name new york are you kidding 80 percent of the job is family and friends how are black, female or anyone else has chance to get on just took a test and texas for a department they 350 firefighters 2 woman 5 black i guess blacks and females are not smart ok how about this to a test for a major department in tn 1500 firefighers 350 blacks and you think this stuff is fair
    Your own race is the one who keeps saying that by demanding "dumbed" down tests and easier physical exams, not me or anyone who thinks like me. We only want good-quality candidates who can pass a written, criminal, drug, psychological, and physical examination and then go on and pass both their drill school/training school and then their probation period. And again myself and folks who think like me could care less what your race, creed, religion or other societal status is.

Here's a suggestion: Apply to take a test. Learn everything about the test- who what when where why. Obtain all possible study materials. Study them until you have them committed to memory at every waking free moment that you have. Once you have it all committed to memory, study it some more. Then take the test. Do what you have to do to excel and push yourself to score as high as you can. Then find out about the physical test- and work out according to the guidelines. Then work out some more, and when it feels like you are going to pass out, work out for 10 more hours. Get yourself physically fit, and give it your best on test day.

If you do all of that, you'll get hired. And you don't need a "dumbed down" written test or an easy physical to do it.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

i just wont some to tell me why in these major city like new york ,the wind city ,la, vagas how is it that 80 to 90 percent is white how is that fair at end of the day they pick who they wont

Forum Member

you name new york are you kidding 80 percent of the job is family and friends how are black, female or anyone else has chance to get on just took a test and texas for a department they 350 firefighters 2 woman 5 black i guess blacks and females are not smart ok how about this to a test for a major department in tn 1500 firefighers 350 blacks and you think this stuff is fair

i just wont some to tell me why in these major city like new york ,the wind city ,la, vagas how is it that 80 to 90 percent is white how is that fair at end of the day they pick who they wont

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dh402...5A11750BEB008C

Forum Member

ok the number are out new york fire 11,000 fireman and 350 black the windy city 80 percent white miam dade 15 percent black and you guys talk fair

Forum Member

Forum Member

ok the number are out new york fire 11,000 fireman and 350 black the windy city 80 percent white miam dade 15 percent black and you guys talk fair

First of all, please learn how to spell, take a basic English class. Those numbers are fair..you know why? because every person who is a minority in those departments are there because they WANTED to be there, not because some idiots who live in a gated community somewhere else wants them to be there. If you don't study, if you don't work out like you want the job, you DO NOT deserve the job..the welfare and food stamp line is over there, feel free to stand in it. As for me, I'll be studying for the test and working out for the academy. Take your "fair" crap and get out of here.

Which part of "Work hard, study for the written exam and physically condition yourself" didn't you understand?

You want the job? Your buddies want the job? Quit bitching and pick up a study book in one hand and a dumbell in the other.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff View Post
    Which part of "Work hard, study for the written exam and physically condition yourself" didn't you understand?

You want the job? Your buddies want the job? Quit bitching and pick up a study book in one hand and a dumbell in the other.

It gets really really aggravating seeing all this crap..Idiots can't even use spell check on their computers..It really fires me up..I'm going to spray tan myself orange and claim umpa loompa status on the exam and score a 110 with vets points..

Forum Member

That wasn't directed at you bro, but at the idiot who wants to stand on his soap box and complain about fair/unfair.

Forum Member

I hear the academy does a lot of running iam talking like 10 miles.
    Is there any other things they do besides run

Quote Originally Posted by dbask View Post
    If the academy is still run like the days of old......If it was done at boot camp, it is done at the PFD Academy. A full program of calisthenics (sp?) every morning, first thing. Push ups, sit ups, pull ups........MrPita or Philly10 can comment better.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by dbask View Post
    every morning starts with pt there is alot of running but now its mostly done up and down the burn tower in past years you would run on the street but they do not do that anymore also you do basics like pushups situps and so on it really depends on the PT insrtuctor and the PT only last an hour then you scramble to get dressed and on to class the first few months is all EMS and if you pass that you move on to fire side

ljm
    Forum Member

For all you know those numbers might be fair. So as an example take Chicago...80% of the FF are white. If 80% of the applicants were white then yeah...those numbers are most likely fair.

My point being this...there is all this talk of FD's needing to having the same racial makeup of the city, that only makes sense if the applicant pool breaks down that way. If 100% of the applicants are white, how can anybody sit around and scream that it's not fair that only white people were hired? Would you find it odd if 80 applicants were black and 20 white, and the FD goes and hires 10 black guys and 10 white guys? I mean that shows that only 8% of black applicants are getting hired vs 50% of the white applicants. If you find that messed up then you now understand what every mid 20 to mid 30 year old white male applying is facing.

Once you provide the racial make up of the applicant field you MIGHT have an argument about being fair....but let's face it, if you personally do not take the time to study and better your scores there is nobody to blame but yourself.
    Last edited by ljm; 07-28-2011 at 10:56 AM.

Forum Member

Hey is anyone aware of the bodyfat/bodymass I read about in the old philly thread? someone mentioned that it had to do with their insurance company? anyone familiar with what I'm talking about?

Forum Member

you ever think that its because most black people don't grow up wanting to be firefighters?

I hope the PFD Training School is like it was when Captain John McGrath, now Chief of Raleigh NC FD, was there. It was ran with great efficiently and some good members where graduated back then.

Recruit school should never be done lightly. It should be tough but achievable by anyone who is attending. Those who can't meet the expectations and achieve high scores on written and practical exercises, should not be waved on through to become a liability of a fire company for the next 20 to 25 years.

This is where a new member learns the basis that will stay with them throughout their career.

Discipline, respect and knowledge is the top priority.
    Last edited by CaptOldTimer; 07-28-2011 at 04:35 PM.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BigGriffC12 View Post
    Hey is anyone aware of the bodyfat/bodymass I read about in the old philly thread? someone mentioned that it had to do with their insurance company? anyone familiar with what I'm talking about?
    if your your too fat they will not let you through th physical but if it`s just a few extra LBS you`ll burn that off in the academy

Quote Originally Posted by CaptOldTimer View Post
    I hope the PFD Training School is like it was when Captain John McGrath, now Chief of Raleigh NC FD, was there.
    I highly doubt it was run the way Capt McGrath ran it due to the crybabies of today. Have you ever seen the show "FIRE!", produced by the Philadelphia PBS station about the PFD? He is spotlighted in it several times.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by philly10 View Post
    if your your too fat they will not let you through th physical but if it`s just a few extra LBS you`ll burn that off in the academy
    Well, what is a few extra pounds? low blood pressure and a good looking EKG.like whats the standard?

Forum Member

One more question..If I obtain the PA EMT-B say..a month after the test date..would they add the 3 points to my overall score? or is that wishful thinking?

Thread Information