Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 31 of 134 FirstFirst ... 21282930313233344181131 ... LastLast
Like Tree365Likes

Thread: Philadelphia 2011

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BigGuyPhilly View Post
    Something is screwy. I can't believe that there are only approximately 40 non-residents out of 914 that scored 100.
    How did you figure that out? I don't see anywhere on the list that shows if you have residency.

I scored a 100 and am a non resident and am on page 37 of the list ranked in the early thousands.

Forum Member

1. I'm sitting in the low 1200's....how far did the last hiring list go down to? should I chalk this up to a victory and move on? or keep my head up?

Forum Member

At most only a few hundred will be hired....sorry... I think the police are hiring...

Forum Member

Does anyone know how they determined how they ranked each person that got a hundred like how was someone 900 that got a 100 and another person 600 that got a hundred was it randomly selected. Also any info on how many guys they are hiring and how far they may get down the list.

Forum Member

I would love to see a set time line for hiring.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by kpk221 View Post
    Does anyone know how they determined how they ranked each person that got a hundred like how was someone 900 that got a 100 and another person 600 that got a hundred was it randomly selected. Also any info on how many guys they are hiring and how far they may get down the list.
    The personality test determined the rank from what I remember them telling us...

Forum Member

Studied my *** off for this exam. Really didnt know what to expect for this psych portion though. I must be in the serial killer column. Will be better prepared for the next one. Well...it was a good run. Philly, you lost a red hot candidate.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ladders 4 View Post
    Studied my *** off for this exam. Really didnt know what to expect for this psych portion though. I must be in the serial killer column. Will be better prepared for the next one. Well...it was a good run. Philly, you lost a red hot candidate.

It really is something. I'm almost positive that I got nearly, if not every question right on the study portion. And then your entire rank is based off this subjective bs? What a world we live in.

Forum Member

Ok..well my name isn't even on the list.. I studied like a banshee for this test and I have Vet points as well. ( I highly doubt i did THAT bad on the exam) I also checked the HR website and my application still says 'In Scoring'... Any thoughts to whats going on? Or do you think my test just ended up in the trash somewhere?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Fixxer View Post
    At most only a few hundred will be hired....sorry... I think the police are hiring...
    I know only a few hundred will get hired..but my question was more..if they hire 400 over 4 years or whatever number..how far down the list would they go..like..how many hired off last list compared to how far down the list did they go. I know for a fact if they do 4-500 it will be at least 800-1000 on the list. over 4 years of course.

I don't want to be a cop. I'm tired of carrying a gun for a living. I want to save people, not shoot them.

MembersZone Subscriber

All Civil Service lists in Philly expire after 2 years. The 4 year lists were during the Consent Decree years. The Consent Decree has been dissolved. I would look for Philly to hire 300 in the next 2 years.

Forum Member

Well, got the official email from human resources today. Is anyone gonna schedule a review session here? I'm from out of state and still deciding on it...

Forum Member

Does anyone know historically how many list number it takes to get, say, 100 guys successfully through the academy? I know the rumor is that Philly is only looking to hire a few hundred over the course of this list, but how many list numbers to people expect they'll go through to get those few hundred?

I'm sitting in the 960s right now, crossing my fingers I get a shot. Good luck to all the guys hoping for the same.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by roadrunner09 View Post
    Well, got the official email from human resources today. Is anyone gonna schedule a review session here? I'm from out of state and still deciding on it...
    Just called, test review sessions are only tues weds and thurs at 10am and they tell you 48 hours notice is needed. I left a message for an appointment on thurs

If I had taken this test as you guys did and score 100 and ended up way down the list, I would be contacting my lawyer to get on this and maybe we would be suing.

Of course some of you can just sit back and let the Philly's HR folks dump on you.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

MembersZone Subscriber

I know there a bunch of folks upset at the test and their score. But for what it's worth,

I studied very hard for this test and am confident that I scored a 100 on the study guide portion if not very close.

I also did a lot of research on the personality test, and have taken similar tests in the past. I have in the past done well on these tests, and I scored well on this one.

I am a white male, non resident and disclosed this on my test as asked.

I ranked well on the list but low in my score "category" perhaps due too being a non resident.

I feel this is exactly where I should be on the list. No funny business.

No one knows what will happen next but I wanted to at least divulge my experience and see if others had a similar one.

Forum Member

I too feel like there was something screwy with this personality questions, I am going to look into the review session.

Forum Member

Ofcourse a bunch of folks are "upset". We didn't take a test, we entered a lottery. How many people got a 100? How many scored in the 90s? That doesn't seem fishy to you? What was the point of having a test if we couldn't differentiate ourselves from each other? So my number, aprox. 700, may as well be 1000. Because they aren't hiring 700 people in 2 years. If it had been a straight up ligit test, I would not be ranked in the low 700s having scored a 100. This whole thing was a goddamned joke and a waste of time. I pulled a garbage number. Thats how I lost. But I'm glad you thought your experience was fair.

MembersZone Subscriber

Upsidedown,

I am not claiming anything was fair. I am stating how my experience went. I have no clue how this thing went down or is going to go down. I truly am sorry if you feel slighted ( for lack of better word).

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Upsidedown View Post
    Ofcourse a bunch of folks are "upset". We didn't take a test, we entered a lottery. How many people got a 100? How many scored in the 90s? That doesn't seem fishy to you? What was the point of having a test if we couldn't differentiate ourselves from each other? So my number, aprox. 700, may as well be 1000. Because they aren't hiring 700 people in 2 years. If it had been a straight up ligit test, I would not be ranked in the low 700s having scored a 100. This whole thing was a goddamned joke and a waste of time. I pulled a garbage number. Thats how I lost. But I'm glad you thought your experience was fair.
    This is pretty much the best summary I've seen so far!

The City's mistake was giving a test that allowed about 1000 people to all have the same 100 score, but then failing to have a merit-based way in which to differentiate those 1000 people within the category (although maybe that was the whole point). Instead, it was a true lottery where a so-called random number is the only difference between being number 250 or 950. Unfortunately, many courts for better or worse have stated that randomly assigning numbers to tied candidates is "fair."

In the end, it does not matter, the City got what it needed--through the points system it now has a group of about 230 or so candidates (who scored well enough to be in the 103-120 catagory) that is comprised almost exclusively of vets and/or those already with ff1, EMT or paramedic credentials. The remaining 100 or so will only be those people from the 100 category who for some reason, pulled a low random number.

From the City's perspective that is a win-win. Courts will uphold the random numbers as an accepted method to avoid disparate impact issues. Anyone in the 100 category who pulled a high random number just has to move on with life and wish they had back their Saturday morning/afternoon in November, which was wasted.

The question people need to ask, is how the City assigned the random numbers.
    Last edited by Mike75; 03-26-2012 at 06:07 PM.

Thread Information