Like Tree365Likes

Thread: Philadelphia 2011

Forum Member

Who said I contact to enlighten me about my new rank?
    Last edited by Randomname2; 04-21-2012 at 12:28 AM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by randomname2 View Post
    if everyone feels comfortable. Answer these 3 questions:
    1. What was your score?
    2. What was your rank on the first list?
    3. What is your rank on the second list? (i.e. How many spots did you drop)

this might give us some indication of any funny business
    Absolutely, positively do not share this information on a public forum. You never know who from philly may be watching and could drop all of your info into the trash, especially if you mention the words "attorney" or "lawsuit."
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

Ahh thats a very good point. How bout what your score was? And how many spots you dropped? That would save anonymity.

Forum Member

When will the new "list" be distributed? Or are we supposed to accept our new rank on good faith?

Forum Member

Randomname..... Are you drunk or just slow?
    Last edited by Upsidedown; 04-21-2012 at 10:00 AM.

Forum Member

Upsidedown.. Please go take your high school diploma and crawl into the NE philly shack you live in

Forum Member

Should I take my college diploma too? What about my complete sentences and streamlined thoughts? I can take all of them if you want.
    Last edited by Upsidedown; 04-21-2012 at 06:36 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Randomname2 View Post
    Upsidedown.. Please go take your high school diploma and crawl into the NE philly shack you live in
    That's cool that you consider yourself educated and placed high enough on the list to probably get hired. Good for you. However, this type of thinking will at some point get you thrown out the second floor of the firehouse, feet first.

I am sure existing fire fighters are reading these threads with great interest and shuddering at the comments from what will be the new crop of recruits coming their way.
    Last edited by Mike75; 04-21-2012 at 08:13 PM.

Forum Member

I dropped over 30 spots with the new email. I can't believe the city does not have a physical fitness test for the fire department. By the time the recruit is in the academy and they realize he is not fit enough for the job, its to late. The city has already invested to much time and money in that recruit. Why doesn't the city have a timed physical fitness test to break the tie and kill two birds with one stone?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by MDFF26 View Post
    By the time the recruit is in the academy and they realize he is not fit enough for the job, its to late. The city has already invested to much time and money in that recruit.
    There is a daily PT schedule.....the members of the "preferred demographic" that fall behind are coached and their times are bamboozled until they pass.

Forum Member

I'm glad that I'm good enough to go over to Iraq and bleed, but I don't have the personality to be a firefighter in Philadelphia. gotta live this America.

Forum Member

Upsidedown - Wow, that college degree was a really wise investment. Unfortunately, the $80K you (unwisely) spent learning how to form complete sentences and "streamline thoughts" is not helping you get on the fire department.

You should have saved that money and spent $500 on an EMT cert class (and the extra points). When it comes to getting on the PFD, your diploma isn't worth the paper it's printed on. I'm guessing you weren't a finance major?

Forum Member

what about the residency? Does the city really check into it or could there be a bunch of "Philadelphia" residents on the list that just got an address?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Randomname2 View Post
    Upsidedown - Wow, that college degree was a really wise investment. Unfortunately, the $80K you (unwisely) spent learning how to form complete sentences and "streamline thoughts" is not helping you get on the fire department.
    I'm sorry. I should have been more clear with you. When I used the term "streamline thoughts" I was refering to your previous couple of posts. They are all over the place. Seriously, go back and read them. So, seeing your random ideas, I thought maybe you might have been drunk. Well, it turns out your just stupid.

You tried to insult me by saying I was only capable of obtaining a high school diploma because of the neighborhood I live in (which a good number of FFs live in by the way), then when I corrected you, you tried to insult me for the exact opposite thing you origionally went with.

The problem with a guy like you is you don't know your a toolbox, and I'm probably going to end up working with you.

I'm no longer going to continue this discourse with you after this post. We're wasting everybodys time. If we do wind up working together, I hope we get stationed in the Northeast.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by MDFF26 View Post
    what about the residency? Does the city really check into it or could there be a bunch of "Philadelphia" residents on the list that just got an address?
    Residency is usually confirmed when you are investigated. You are required to submit documents such as lease agreements, mortgage paperwork, utility bills, etc.

Oh and one more piece of advice for everyone out there- when you do move into the city, or if you are a resident and have not, you need to immediately register as a democrat. Vote how you want, but register as a democrat.

Forum Member

Upsidedown - Start putting that degree to more use. Your rank (~700) given possible spots available over the next 2 years (allegedly ~ 300) = a very, very slim chance of getting on.

Forum Member

You potentially new hires for Philly keep on running your mouths on here. What you don't know is that they have folks that read the forums and usually can detect who you are.

If I was trying to get a job fresh out of the box, this would be the last place I would be popping off on.

If you get hired prepare yourself for hard days at the academy. It begins early and goes all day. They don't let up on you and try to get you to drop out.

After all if you can't make it through the academy you wouldn't have been worth a dime in the fire house.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Forum Member

Hey, come on guys. Let's do our best to try and lay off of each other. Let's try and show some positive talk. Maybe some guys have some cool stories they can share about the PFD, or more advice regarding the hiring process or even the academy. I just have noticed that many of you guys are lashing out at each other. Is it really going to solve anything or get you any further in your journey to become a firefighter?

MembersZone Subscriber

Lawsuits. They are the ONLY thing to which this city, this administration, and this department responds. If you took the test, and haven't at least consulted legal counsel, you're on your own and SOL.

(And BTW, 2/3 of the dept. lives in the NE, so if you're going to insult someone for living there, you've got a LOOOOOONG road ahead.)
    Opinions expressed are mine alone, and do not necessarily reflect those of the Philadelphia Fire Department and/or IAFF Local 22.

Forum Member

Hey guys i need helping getting in contact with the HR department, i simply want to change the email address i put on my app, ive tried calling and emails to the hr department but nothing worked. that old email is no longer active and i cant receive updates. i got my rank on that website and though i know top 800 isnt much i still want some updates. any ideas on what i should try?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaptOldTimer View Post
    You potentially new hires for Philly keep on running your mouths on here. What you don't know is that they have folks that read the forums and usually can detect who you are.

If I was trying to get a job fresh out of the box, this would be the last place I would be popping off on.

If you get hired prepare yourself for hard days at the academy. It begins early and goes all day. They don't let up on you and try to get you to drop out.

After all if you can't make it through the academy you wouldn't have been worth a dime in the fire house.
    I couldn't agree more. I never came to this site before the test was given,I thought that I might be able to help give some info to ppl (the little that I knew). But all that it has turned into is one big bi&$h fest, guys that are not on the job talking like they know whats going on,and ppl trying to get a postion arguing amongst themselves. The more I read the more I relize that most guys don't deserve to be on the JOB and will probably make things worse then they are. For the guys that do really deserve it good luck. This will be the last post for me I can't deal with the *****-holes anymore,if any of you are lucky enough to end up on my crew, one be prepared to run and two if you act like you do on here you won't last very long and more then likely will end up outside with more then one person. I guess what I'm really trying to get at is don't be a d#ck and if that's to hard for you don't take the job.

Forum Member

Default Preparing for the academy (If I'm selected of course)

Hey guys, I just wanted to share a great workout program I have been utilizing to prepare for the academy. That and a ruck march once a week to get used to carrying heavy weight for distance. Rescue Athlete | Advancing Human Evolution

Forum Member

I've been following this thread for awhile now before the test was given and after everybody took the exam. Here are my thoughts about the requirements for the position: I think the test should only be open to city residents. If they want to open the test to non-residents, then they should not have given extra points to those with their EMT and firefighter certs. It's not easy for Philadelphia residents to go and get their firefighter certifications, considering our fire department is made up of professionals (people who get paid to do the job) and not volunteers. I also don't think extra points should be given to EMTs, considering the academy will certify you to be an EMT. Someone on here suggested taking time out to get your EMT cert if you are serious about getting the job. Sure that sounds nice on an internet website, but it is difficult to take time out to earn your cert when you have a full time job. Especially if your job is based on shift work involving different days off and different hours each week, it's almost impossible to get your cert. I also hate how a lot of the suburban volunteers on here are talking like they are some kind of expert firefighting god and look down on city applicants, and those who aren't volunteers in general. The majority of Philly firefighters were NOT volunteer firefighters prior to getting on the job. Prior to the academy, they had no experience in the field, but they learned how to do the job by the veteran guys after they graduated from the academy. If the city only kept the book portion of the test and gave out no extra points, then I and most people from the city would have a higher rank. We may not be volunteer firefighters, but most of us won't complain and bicker with each other once we were to get on the job. Just like many of our friends who are tradesmen in labor unions throughout the city, we would show up to work on time, listen to the older guys about how to do the job, and then work hard doing the job without complaining. That's my 2 cents about this whole test and hiring process. Thank god hundreds of veteran firefighters are going to be retiring within the next 2 years because now they won't have to put up with these new recruits' BS.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by phillybornapplicant View Post
    Someone on here suggested taking time out to get your EMT cert if you are serious about getting the job. Sure that sounds nice on an internet website, but it is difficult to take time out to earn your cert when you have a full time job. Especially if your job is based on shift work involving different days off and different hours each week, it's almost impossible to get your cert.
    What makes you think that it's any easier for non-residents? Don't they have jobs, too? It's not like those guys just went to a station and said, "hey, I'd like a EMT card, please!" and one was handed to them. They earned their cert by taking a class...an option available to everybody, regardless of where they live.

If the city only kept the book portion of the test and gave out no extra points, then I and most people from the city would have a higher rank.
    It sounds like you are trying to justify thinning out the herd to give yourself better odds. That's the easy way out. Make the field smaller to increase your odds rather than work harder to obtain a higher score, correct? Maybe you should find a way to get your EMT? You're right, it will be difficult if you have a crazy schedule. But it is not impossible. Then, you will have an advantage over the suburban volunteers, as well as those residents have not put forth the same initiative.
    Last edited by Hewartson47; 04-24-2012 at 09:54 AM.

Forum Member

You have to love how you try to email the city and the email address is wrong and is returned to sender, and how the phone number..no one picks up and the voice mail box is full...wow...wow.

Thread Information