Like Tree365Likes

Thread: Philadelphia 2011

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BigGriffC12 View Post
    You have to love how you try to email the city and the email address is wrong and is returned to sender, and how the phone number..no one picks up and the voice mail box is full...wow...wow.
    If I have said it once, I have said it 650,000 times.....Any information you need to send to the City such as documents, change of address, or any other important correspondence that could affect your placement on the list or even if you get a job offer- You need to send it in writing, and via a registered letter with a return receipt.

If you kids think that email is the cure-all, by all means, you go right ahead and continue to rely on it.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

Well, today is the final day to send HR your emt and FF1 certifications. I wonder how long before they issue the next list and I wonder how many people who scored 100's on the test will be bumped up too 102 above me. Lets hope I don't drop 60 ranks because people didn't file them on time...
    Last edited by JonBomb6; 04-25-2012 at 11:46 AM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by JonBomb6 View Post
    Well, today is the final day to send HR your emt and FF1 certifications. I wonder how long before they issue the next list and I wonder how many people who scored 100's on the test will be bumped up too 102 above me. Lets hope I don't drop 60 ranks because people didn't file them on time...

Candidates must possess and must submit documentation of the above certifications no later than November 19, 2011.

Requests for additional points submitted after November 19, 2011 will not be approved.

I wonder if you have to show proof that they were submitted previously and not credited. Otherwise you are just late and they shouldn't be accepted. Right?
    Last edited by Stogie81; 04-25-2012 at 01:12 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff View Post
    If I have said it once, I have said it 650,000 times.....Any information you need to send to the City such as documents, change of address, or any other important correspondence that could affect your placement on the list or even if you get a job offer- You need to send it in writing, and via a registered letter with a return receipt.

If you kids think that email is the cure-all, by all means, you go right ahead and continue to rely on it.
    Buff, I understand..I just can't understand why with soo many people out of work, that people with jobs can't do them.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Stogie81 View Post
    Candidates must possess and must submit documentation of the above certifications no later than November 19, 2011.

Requests for additional points submitted after November 19, 2011 will not be approved.

I wonder if you have to show proof that they were submitted previously and not credited. Otherwise you are just late and they shouldn't be accepted. Right?
    Thats what I was thinking... Maybe this 30 day period they stated in the e-mail is for individuals who sent in the cert. with the application but never received the points due to error. I'd love to know the answer to that.

Forum Member

Thats what I was thinking... Maybe this 30 day period they stated in the e-mail is for individuals who sent in the cert. with the application but never received the points due to error. I'd love to know the answer to that.
    If you read the original email we received with our rank it states that

"...if you did not receive the additional credits that
    you believe you are eligible to receive.

You must claim the additional EMT or Firefighter 1 credits within 30
    days of the date of this notice."

This is saying if you turned in your certs, but they did not appear in that email you have 30 days to claim the missing points. You can't all of a sudden now give them your certs. They were due by November 19, 2011.

Forum Member

Buff, I understand..I just can't understand why with soo many people out of work, that people with jobs can't do them.
    People are present at the Municipal Services Building for 8 hours (for the most part.) Actual hours worked vary from department to department. To quote Mr. Spock: "trying to understand them would be illogical."
    mrpita likes this.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

Last edited by Stogie81; 02-25-2014 at 08:56 AM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Are you sure because it seems like the city does what it wants. The city website said we were supposed to get our scores prior to the establishment of the list and that didn't happen. They made 2 lists before we received our scores. Not to mention the whole oops the tie breakers got f'd up but trust us its right this time. The list should have everything listed so there is no question, all additional points not just veteran and the tie breakers whatever they may be. I wouldn't think there is a valid reason to hide any of that. It is hard to have faith in this system.
    I don't believe the list has been certified by the city yet, has it? If I'm not mistaken, only when the list is certified (i.e. Official) is when the actual hiring begins...
    JonBomb6 likes this.

Forum Member

I went and checked my status at phila.gov and it now says eligible for hire. It has been awhile since I have looked. Does anyone know how long the status has been that?

Forum Member

I went and checked my status at phila.gov and it now says eligible for hire. It has been awhile since I have looked. Does anyone know how long the status has been that?
    Mine has this waht does that mean? "In Hiring Process"

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by antny9111 View Post
    I am not sure, I would think that everyone on the list would be "eligible for hire" but I have no idea for sure. I was curious how long it had been like that because I was thinking that maybe the list is now official and it only says that now.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by antny9111 View Post
    Menacingly vague... Hmmm....
    Last edited by unbroken136; 04-30-2012 at 07:11 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Rumor has it that 400 letters will be going out in the near future. That's 400 in order to get 160 (2 classes x 80/class).

Forum Member

Mine also says "In hiring process". I would assume they are going to hire because from what I heard it's going to be 300 total for the year. I heard it will be 2 classes running at the same time in July each class is 75 people. Then in January I heard the same thing. Not unless I was mistaken.

Forum Member

any word on how soon the near future is

Forum Member

Antny9111
    Id imagine before July. If your "in hiring process" that gives them the next two months to drug test, interview, etc. sit back relax and enjoy the flyers playoffs. That will kill some time.

After talking to some friends who also took the test, those that were under 400 all have the "in hiring process". That leads me to believe that the 400 number thrown out a post or two ago to be acurate. Thats great news. Good luck with the interview process fellas.

Lets hope the numbers for the January class fall the same way. That would be sweet.

Forum Member

Here is what I don't understand... Let's say they are looking to hire 300 people by January. Out of the first 400 people they hire the first 150 out of 200 people just for the summer... Will they continue the hiring process this first round?? Or are they going to interview the first 400 people and pick and choose who they will hire after the interviews are squared away? Meaning, they interview 400 people hire 150 and dump the rest off the list...If anyone has any idea's how this will work please let me know.

Forum Member

I'm pretty sure the first batch of letters are for the first class. They send out that many letters because they have to. There are plenty of reasons they need to send that many letters. For instance, some people's fingerprints turn up an unfavorable background. Then theres drug testing. Some dudes might forget about that bowl they smoked during that Knickelback show. I know its unthinkable to guys like you and I who check message boards because we want this job that bad, but some guys may have found another job they are happy with since taking the test. Maybe they got into a trade union. Maybe PGW. Whatever the case. Speaking of PGW, some dudes may owe the city money. Old utility bills, back taxes and the sort. Then there is the guys that may have just taken the test because it was something to do. They might not have been serious. Also the out of town guys that took it, but now that its time to move it may not be posdible for them.

There is a ton of reasons for them to send out that many letters. They would't do it if they didn't have to.

Forum Member

Yes but what I'm saying is lets say 200 individuals out of the 400 pass the drug test and all of the steps in the process. They choose the 150 they want for summer... Will they throw out the extra 50 individuals or will they place them in the next round for the january classes?

Forum Member

Woof. Never thought about that. Thats a good question.
    JonBomb6 likes this.

Forum Member

Just going to a nickelback concert should disqualify you
    unbroken136 and JonBomb6 like this.

Forum Member

Yes but what I'm saying is lets say 200 individuals out of the 400 pass the drug test and all of the steps in the process. They choose the 150 they want for summer... Will they throw out the extra 50 individuals or will they place them in the next round for the january classes?
    There is no way that they will use the first 150...if they need 150 and they send out letters to 400 I'm sure what they don't take will get recycled into the next list.

I.E. They need 150 for this first group of classes..say they go to 350..number 351 will receive consideration for the next set of academy slots. and so on and so on.

Forum Member

There is no way that they will use the first 150...if they need 150 and they send out letters to 400 I'm sure what they don't take will get recycled into the next list.

I.E. They need 150 for this first group of classes..say they go to 350..number 351 will receive consideration for the next set of academy slots. and so on and so on.

It all depends on how you interview and your qualifications, background, etc.

They may keep your name on the list for another interview and they may mark you off as not hirable on the first go around.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

MembersZone Subscriber

The short answer is NO.

I would advise that everyone become very familiar with Philadelphia's Civil Service Regulations, specifically Regulation 10 - Eligible Lists, especially Regulation 10.09 Removal of Names from Lists. All the heresay, I think this, I think that, etc., is BS. The only thing to know is the Civil Service Regs.

10.09 - REMOVAL OF NAMES FROM LISTS. The name of an eligible shall be removed from an eligible list for any of the following reasons:

10.091 - Appointment through certification from such list to fill a permanent position in the class for which the list was established; or any other class for which the list is designated as appropriate or related by the Director under Regulation 10.05.

10.092 - Three times waiving or declining appointment to permanent positions in the class for which the list was established to which he or she has been certified.

10.093 - Separation from the department of the eligible on a promotional list for that department.

10.094 - Failure to respond or report, within the time specified in the notice, to any inquiry of the Director or appointing authority concerning availability of employment.

10.095 - Notice by postal authorities of their inability to locate the eligible at his last known address.

10.096 - Lack of any of the published requisite qualifications established by the Director for the examination for the position for which he applied.

10.097 - Practice or attempt to practice any deception or fraud in his or her application, in his or her declarations or in securing eligibility or appointment.

The name of an eligible may be removed from an eligible list by the Director for any of the following reasons:

10.098 - Felony or misdemeanor convictions in this state or elsewhere which relate to the applicant's suitability in such a way as to preclude them from employment in the position for which they applied and/or are being considered.

10.099 - Dismissal from the public service or private employment for inefficiency, delinquency or misconduct.

10.0910 - Previous work performance in either public or private employment found to have been unsatisfactory as to efficiency, delinquency or conduct.

10.0911 - Information revealed during the pre-employment background investigation that indicates that the applicant is unsuitable for appointment to the position for which they applied and/or are being considered.

10.0912 - Disability that prevents the eligible, with or without a reasonable accommodation, from satisfactorily carrying on the duties of the position.

10.0913 - Failing a pre-employment drug or alcohol screen.

Thread Information