Like Tree365Likes

Thread: Philadelphia 2011

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by alphahwiskey08 View Post
    As another PH vet, I really do hope you get the position man.
    Thanks bro, I wish the same for you. When is you're orientation?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BigGriffC12 View Post
    May 29. I was a combat medic so I also had an EMT cert along with our vet points plus I'm Asian hahaha

Forum Member

Nice..I was in the last month of EMT class when we took the test..missed out on 3 points

Forum Member

Is anyone else getting page not found when trying to access https://epatch.state.pa.us/Home.jsp for the criminal background check?

Forum Member

Yes ... i had to google the patch site

Forum Member

The site is down for maintenance for a few days

Forum Member

I called the help line and they advised it should be back up on Tues or Wed. Talk about cutting it a little close, i will see you guys in a few weeks.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BigGriffC12 View Post
    Good morning gentlemen, I've followed this thread from the 2010 test that never happened. My first post here: My ranking on this test was in the 1200 range. I too,received a letter and am scheduled for orientation on one of those 3 days at the end of May. And I WILL be there and I will be early.. I am also a white male and a Vet. I don't know is why I received a letter either.....What I SUSPECT, is that they had to re-rank the list. You usually don't see 1,000 people with the same score. I am sure the city wants to hire certain "disadvantaged" people who have been "wronged" in the past. If these 300 or 400 letters that went out, turn out to be all Vets and FF1 ,etc..... I'm gonna go out on a ledge here and take a "wild" guess.......maybe the vet pts and FF points were not added correctly. And hey Griff, maybe we really ARE legit and in the top 300. I normally score very high in civil service tests. Either way, go to orientation, like your letter says. I am going to sit there with my mouth shut and listen and do what I am asked! This is why we have two ears and one mouth. Oh, by the way, the fire tower is in operation, they had a "burn" there maybe a month ago,..."rumor" was that burn was for the "disadvantaged" to get them their FF certs....look for two classes to start on either Sept 17th or 24th. Maybe a lawsuit stops the hiring...maybe it doesn't...that's out of our control. Until then, just go through the process as instructed. Maybe we should find out who we all are and go out for a beer sometime...like AFTER graduation and AFTER probation is complete and AFTER you make your 6 month dinner for your platoon. Thank you for your dedicated service to our country!

Forum Member

""<<<...>>>""
    Last edited by GUEST215PFD; 07-08-2013 at 03:09 PM.

Forum Member

Last edited by JonBomb6; 08-10-2012 at 12:20 AM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by hammerhead38 View Post
    Good morning gentlemen, I've followed this thread from the 2010 test that never happened. My first post here: My ranking on this test was in the 1200 range. I too,received a letter and am scheduled for orientation on one of those 3 days at the end of May. And I WILL be there and I will be early.. I am also a white male and a Vet. I don't know is why I received a letter either.....What I SUSPECT, is that they had to re-rank the list. You usually don't see 1,000 people with the same score. I am sure the city wants to hire certain "disadvantaged" people who have been "wronged" in the past. If these 300 or 400 letters that went out, turn out to be all Vets and FF1 ,etc..... I'm gonna go out on a ledge here and take a "wild" guess.......maybe the vet pts and FF points were not added correctly. And hey Griff, maybe we really ARE legit and in the top 300. I normally score very high in civil service tests. Either way, go to orientation, like your letter says. I am going to sit there with my mouth shut and listen and do what I am asked! This is why we have two ears and one mouth. Oh, by the way, the fire tower is in operation, they had a "burn" there maybe a month ago,..."rumor" was that burn was for the "disadvantaged" to get them their FF certs....look for two classes to start on either Sept 17th or 24th. Maybe a lawsuit stops the hiring...maybe it doesn't...that's out of our control. Until then, just go through the process as instructed. Maybe we should find out who we all are and go out for a beer sometime...like AFTER graduation and AFTER probation is complete and AFTER you make your 6 month dinner for your platoon. Thank you for your dedicated service to our country!
    Hey everyone, hopefully my situation can add another piece to the puzzle. Im an out of stater, white male, non vet, non PA emt, and no FF1 cert either. I scored a 100 on the exam and was initially placed around the 1100s. When the re-ranking happen, i actually got a better ranking. Low 1000s.

Did not recieve a letter but wasnt expecting one, this early anyway. Good luck to all the vets. You definitely deserve it.

Forum Member

Seems obvious this 1st round was for vets and very low ranks

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ravendmb1 View Post
    Hey everyone, hopefully my situation can add another piece to the puzzle. Im an out of stater, white male, non vet, non PA emt, and no FF1 cert either. I scored a 100 on the exam and was initially placed around the 1100s. When the re-ranking happen, i actually got a better ranking. Low 1000s.

Did not recieve a letter but wasnt expecting one, this early anyway. Good luck to all the vets. You definitely deserve it.
    The tie breakers are what was incorrect and according to the reg's it seems the only way you could have moved up is based on your score on the TPM.

9.067 - RANK ON ELIGIBLE LISTS. Rank on an eligible list shall be in order of relative excellence in the examination as determined by the final passing average grade plus credits authorized by law, collective bargaining agreement or regulation for:

a. veterans preference or legacy preference for open competitive examinations

b. performance ratings and seniority for career advancement or promotional examinations

c. education or other factors as defined by these regulations for specified open competitive or promotional examinations.

When two or more competitors have the same final average (including credits), rank order among the tied competitors shall be determined by ranking their names:

a. first, by their grades on the part of the examination which has the greatest weight, and

b. second, by their grades on the remaining weighted parts in order of decreasing weight;

c. for open competitive examinations administered on or after November 5, 2008, candidates who have maintained a bona fide residence in Philadelphia for at least one year prior to the date of the civil service examination shall have priority over all other persons receiving an identical test score;

d.such as remain tied, by computer assigned random numbers, or such other appropriate procedure as the Director may determine.

Rank on a consolidated list shall be determined by the above procedure just as if all of the eligibles had competed in a single examination.

Forum Member

.................................................. ...........................................
    Last edited by JonBomb6; 04-28-2013 at 01:06 AM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by JonBomb6 View Post
    I'm not a low rank I'm ranked mid 200's and I received a letter
    You're in the mid 200's on a 2000 plus eligibilty list....

That seems low to me?

I'm sure you didn't mean you are in the 2,000's for a rank

Forum Member

I have received my letter as well, I am reading the letter as we are only to have the PA PATCH backroud and the given paper work that we recieved in the packet. Am I exspected to get ANYTHING else before the orientation?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by JonBomb6 View Post
    I'm not a low rank I'm ranked mid 200's and I received a letter... I am assuming they may have grabbed some disabled veterans from the middle of the list to goto orientation.... Thats why I asked if hammerhead was a disabled veteran.
    No Jb6, I'm not a disabled vet. Just a regular vet., I have no EMT or FF certs either, or a legacy claim. I am a white male, and from out of state. I've never even been a "volly"... Maybe I received a letter because I am 40+ yrs old? That's all I can guess now, and if that's the reason....I'll personally be ****ed. I want to compete with any and everyone fair and square. Before any comments on "fair and square"....I understand that is not the society we live in anymore. That being said, I believe this country may need to hit the "re-set" button.
    JonBomb6 likes this.

Forum Member

.................................................. ..............................................
    Last edited by JonBomb6; 04-28-2013 at 01:04 AM.

Forum Member

How formal should one dress for orientation?

Forum Member

""<<<...>>>""
    Last edited by GUEST215PFD; 07-08-2013 at 03:07 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by GUEST215PFD View Post
    I would imagine Business Casual would be acceptable.
    But that's just me.

I don't know why but when I asked about the weight chart everyone kinda of ignored me, I would just like to know what the weight requirement is if I am 5'11" that's 71".

Thanks Guys.
    I asked the same question a few posts back, same response as you..I'm guessing that the first column is the target weight, the second column is the max allowable..but I really don't know.

Forum Member

Yes, it doesn't say how to dress. If you go in shorts and flip-flops......you will be remembered. If you attend orientation dressed like a professional, seeking to be a professional Firefighter...that will also be remembered. You have one opportunity to make a first impression. So why not go get a fresh haircut and be clean shaven too? Put your best foot forward. You can't go wrong in dress pants and a nice pressed dress shirt. Please don't constrew these comments as being a smart-a**. I am trying to be helpful. It seems to me a lot of you younger guys are anxious about this process and that's how most of these posts read. And I understand that. Just relax...this whole process will take a few months to complete. It looks like the height and weight chart is just "information". I am sure they will give us everything we need to know at orientation. Just fill out the paperwork they sent us and report there. I might also suggest to arrive early. If you walk in late...that too will be remembered. Again, good luck to everyone!
    BigGuyPhilly likes this.

Forum Member

I have to agree with FWDbuff.

While I understand everyone who received a letter is excited - it is pretty clear that some of you are not qualified and did not score high enough to legitimately have received a letter (those ranked in the 1000's to 1,200's). I can only speculate, but I'm pretty sure I won't be the only one to question whether you got the job on merit or by some other means.

While I'm sure you want to take advantage of this opportunity, you're doing so at the expense of those men who scored higher (i.e. more qualified for the position) than yourselves. Don't think this fact will go unnoticed by both your fellow classmates and current PFD firefighters. People aren't too welcoming of those who were in essence handed the position, when their lives may depend on those people.

You are basically taking advantage of a test/hiring process that was broken even before it started. If any of you actually cared about the quality of the ppl getting on the job you wouldn't cut in front of those 800 or so ppl who are more qualified than yourselves.

On another note, I appreciate your sharing this information with the forum. How candidates ranked in the 1200's are receiving letters will almost certainly be one of the first questions in the next union meeting...

Forum Member

The fact that people are asking what clothes to wear to what is basically a job interview is all you really need to know about the intelligence level of this class.
    FWDbuff, JonBomb6 and hammerhead38 like this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Randomname2 View Post
    The fact that people are asking what clothes to wear to what is basically a job interview is all you really need to know about the intelligence level of this class.
    ..........and some of them will still show up in shorts/t-shirts/with goatees or growth of some kind and long hair......
    hammerhead38 likes this.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Thread Information