Like Tree365Likes

Thread: Philadelphia 2011

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ladders 4 View Post
    In the end, the cream WILL rise to the top.
    and then get stepped on by the preferred demographic candidates that were hired through this bogus test.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FireFuss View Post
    First off, if you passed the test you were placed on an ELIGIBILITY list, not a ranked hiring list. This is the first time the city has used this method. Not the first time they pick "random" applicants off the list though.

Second, the points awarded for military service are per civil service regulations. The city has nothing to do with that. The city is responsible for the extra points for FF and EMT certs this go around because they actually had a bunch of inner-city high school kids take those certs 'free of charge' at the FTA. What they didn't realize is that by opening the exam to non-residents EVERYONE with those certs got the points.

Last, the Philly POLICE now require 60 college credits to test for them. They've tried for years to get that in their contract. They also have a pre-hire physical test. The majority of the MEMBERS of the PFD want this in the FD hiring process. The reason that its NOT a part (ie no points for college and no physical test) of the process is widely known and easy to pick up on. If you dont know why, or even if you do, it's better to be mad at WHY things are how they are... not just HOW they are.

When I tested there were close to 14000 applicants, and the RANKED HIRING LIST was over 3000 people. I was in the top 5%, but had to wait to get in since back then you had to live in the city a year before appointment. The city still picked random people from the list. But that was a hiring list. There is a clear difference between hiring lists and eligibility lists. One means your order of consideration for the position.... at least in other parts of the country. The other means "heres all the people we could hire".

Why they even "ranked" this list makes no sense. And all the talk of who is deserving or not is idiotic. The city is telling you that you're more qualified because you prefer blue to yellow! And you're falling for it... Just as they do with the members, the city would rather you all fight between yourselves than be unified and fight them. It's a tactic they long ago mastered.

Until the PFD entrance test is a high school equivalency test with reading writing and math sections, and there is a pre-hire physical test there will never be a fair hiring process in this city. Until then, the only people to blame are the Mayor and his crony commissioners.

/rant

Finally someone with some actual good information. Thank you,sir.
    hammerhead38 likes this.

Forum Member

I was thinking the same thing. Something informative. Finally.....
    hammerhead38 likes this.

Forum Member

The City used this test to get the preferred demographic hired. The City added FF points and EMT points on their own....THEN tried to cert the preferred demograpfic in those specific areas. I don't recall those classes being offered in Far NE PHilly? Then they opened the test to non residents too. Well....guess they didn't plan on all the surrounding area Vets, who may also be FF's and EMT's etc applying....

How's this....what if they had to rescore the test...and now the pass/fail portion had to be given a grade? And that rescoring took the average score of that and the dumb personality quiz....by the way Big Griff....I preferred amusement parks...

I know I aced the first portion of that test. period. point blank. So, anyone thinks I'm cutting in line...go screw yourself.

Vets get points and deserve points. Some go to college nice and easy....others serve their country and put themselves in harms' way...still have a problem?....re-read above suggestion.

In PA you get the points added to your raw score......in NJ vets don't get points....they automatically go to the TOP of the list regardless of their score. Even as a Vet I think THAT'S wrong....give me 5 or 10 Vet points, and let me compete.

Big Griff....talk about your service all you want....I was in the Marine Corps myself, after graduating from Parris Island.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by hammerhead38 View Post
    Then they opened the test to non residents too. Well....guess they didn't plan on all the surrounding area Vets, who may also be FF's and EMT's etc applying....
    The Police and Fire tests have been open to outside residents for at least 20 years that I know of- Anyone with any address could sit for the exam. However, when I was in the running, you had to have a City Residence for one year prior to your date of hire.

And yes, apparently there was a LOT of back peddaling at City Hall when someone realized "oh crap, if we give these kids the points, we have to give ANYONE in Pa. that qualifies the points too." Then folklore has it that they tried somehow to make so that the points were for City residents only, but the legal eagles put the brakes to that.
    hammerhead38 likes this.

Forum Member

Wow, you guys are really squaring off and wasting a lot of energy on the keyboard instead of preparing for your physicals and the academy. I'm also surprised no one has pointed out the obvious....Is there a vet of any rank that did not get a letter? Anyone? Let me follow that up by a quote from President Obama's speech about the Veteran's Job Corps on 2/3/12: "So we want to prioritize veterans and we want to help states and local communities hire veterans to firehouses and police stations all across the country." There is your answer people...

Let me also address a few other topics:

Randomname2 - you are bitter because you haven't received a letter in a crappy process. You mention several times about people being more qualified than others. The reality is that this test does not prove that. Unfortunately, it is the standard by which a class will be hired. With that said, anyone with the same score is theoretically equally qualified regardless of the rank (ie. 224 or 1136). No one is better qualified or more deserving because they received a better random number and therefore a better rank. However, there needs to be some type of hiring order, so that is why there is a rank. This time around, for the first time, vets are being called up first. Do the math, should be about 320 letters out. Subtract the approx 185 vets on the list. Leaves about 135 letters for non-vets. Go down the list and count off 135 non-vets. Wherever that stops is where the "cut-off" was. I estimate around 230-240. Is there a non-vet on here ranked higher than that and got a letter? Your opinion about giving preference to vets doesn't matter. Get over it. You cite Car 1 as a reason vet preference doesn't matter and say you'd prefer education preference instead. Well, Car 1 has a Master's degree. Bottom line is that you didn't get a good random number. Sorry, but it isn't the fault of anyone on here. And it most certainly isn't the fault of any of the vets who served their country and are reaping the benefits that they earned. Taking out your frustration on them just shows your immaturity. Be a grown-up and congratulate those who got a letter, and then release your frustration on the City in the form of a lawsuit. And, for clarification, I am not a vet.

Firefuss - Your take on the "Eligible" list is incorrect. It is the same as a "Hiring" list. Look at the last promotional lists. They say "Eligible List" at the top. People are seeing seemingly random ranks getting letters and assuming the City is "cherry-picking" who they want. Well, sort-of...they are "cherry-picking" the vets, not the "preferred demographic" as most would assume. BTW, How's Florida working out?

As for orientation...Hammerhead says "I might also suggest to arrive early. If you walk in late...that too will be remembered." BWAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!! Fuss, wanna back me up on this.... "IF" you walk in late, you will be walking out early...as in immediately after getting your azz chewed out. This is not a joke. I witnessed multiple people get turned away because they were less than 5 minutes late. We arrive at least an hour early for every shift. Be there early. Have a back-up plan. If you get stuck in traffic, if you get in an accident, if you get lost, if you get a flat tire...NO ONE CARES. You will lose your opportunity. No excuses, be there. Late....Hah...too funny....
    Last edited by Fixxer; 05-25-2012 at 04:20 PM.

Forum Member

Hello to all. I spend most of time on this site reading rather than posting, but sometimes frustration gets the best of me. I am a vet also, and ranked over 1000, and got a letter for the upcoming orientations. I do not feel that vets "deserve" extra points, we are granted that courtesy by grateful civilian authorities out of appreciation for our service. Flipside: if you did not serve and chose to go to college, that was your choice and perfectly respectable. If you wanted to be on the job all along, you would have researched and found that perhaps joining the military for a few years would not only have improved your chances of getting hired, but also majorly defrayed the cost of your education. Both paths can provide you with tools to succeed as a candidate and FF.

All the speculation about why some of the 1000+ folks got a letter and some 2-3-400s didn't is pointless. The city HR dept/Fire Dept/whoever will not disclose anything that could potentially open the city to legal action, especially not to some FF candidate who feels slighted by the way his test was graded/the fact he or she didn't get a letter. If you control the aspects of your process that you can control (fitness, study prep, learning what you can from personal resources and research, practicing interviewing skills, paying your bills to the city (PARKING TICKETS!!!)) then good things will happen. Say what you want about preferred demographics, consent decrees, cherrypicking, whatever....in the end, you still have to pass the academy. You can have had every backdoor advantage thrown your way, but if you can't tell the difference between an engine, a ladder, and Geo Metro, guess what? You won't have a job as PFD FF. And if you do somehow pass the academy, it is on those who evaluate you during your probationary period to confirm you are fit to wear the uniform.

This concludes the rant. Get off the forum and get to the track, the library, and the firehouse and improve yourself.
    Last edited by CHUCK108FA; 05-25-2012 at 04:14 PM.

Forum Member

By the way, Car 1 is a vet of the USN.

Forum Member

Is there going to be ample parking at/near the fire academy for the orientation class or is this going to be a case of public transportation?

Forum Member

Research it yourself you lazy a**hole

Forum Member

I'm just kidding ... I felt left out with all these rants and tantrums

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff View Post
    By the way, Car 1 is a vet of the USN.
    Not. Try USCG.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by BigGriffC12 View Post
    Is there going to be ample parking at/near the fire academy for the orientation class or is this going to be a case of public transportation?
    There is parking on Pennypack Street from State Road to the Fire Academy. Put 5200 Pennypack Street, 19136, into maps.google.com

Forum Member

Just got my haircut ... going for my tux tomorrow

Forum Member

I bought some dress slacks last night, shirt and tie..I need to find my belt and my black shoes..and go to the tailor.

Forum Member

I bought some dress slacks last night, shirt and tie..I need to find my belt and my black shoes..and go to the tailor.
    I got my ball shorts, army PT shirt and flip flops ready to go. Figure thats good enough to sit in a crowded room and listen to the information they have for us ;-)

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by alphahwiskey08 View Post
    I got my ball shorts, army PT shirt and flip flops ready to go. Figure thats good enough to sit in a crowded room and listen to the information they have for us ;-)
    I was honestly debating a nice pair of jeans and a polo shirt but I need to go to a wedding 2 weeks after I i split the crotch in my other pair of dress pants doing the wiggle wiggle wiggle..yeah at our fire department dinner..sucks when you got dance moves that your pants won't co operate for.

Forum Member

By the way, on that form we have to fill out..it's the 1 with the space to list all residences in the last 10 years..there is a spot for payroll/application number. Is that non- applicable for us, or do we put in that C********** number we got when we applied..or something totally different?

Forum Member

By the way, on that form we have to fill out..it's the 1 with the space to list all residences in the last 10 years..there is a spot for payroll/application number. Is that non- applicable for us, or do we put in that C********** number we got when we applied..or something totally different?
    I personally left it blank. If I don't know and theres no instructions specifically telling me what to put in that slot I'm leaving it alone. Better blank than wrong

Forum Member

I'll leave it blank..and ask about it when i get there.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by alphahwiskey08 View Post
    You sure that's appropriate? Dude I'm AT LEAST gonna be wearing my volley t-shirt, complete with slogan. Matter of fact, I'll be in full turnouts, SCBA, breathing air at least 5 minutes prior to start of Orientation. I'd like to stop at the base and pick up some proximity gear, but I don't know...don't know if I'll have enough time.
    Last edited by SVandro; 05-27-2012 at 07:57 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by SVandro View Post
    You sure that's appropriate? Dude I'm AT LEAST gonna be wearing my volley t-shirt, complete with slogan. Matter of fact, I'll be in full turnouts, SCBA, breathing air at least 5 minutes prior to start of Orientation. I'd like to stop at the base and pick up some proximity gear, but I don't know...don't know if I'll have enough time.
    I should just stay home then......... They're gonna hire u immediately

Forum Member

DO NOT forget your pagers ... Orientation is no excuse to miss a brush fire back home

Forum Member

That is it!!! I'm going to wear 1 of my wife's dresses under a class A haz-mat suit. I'll have my 911 text message ring tone set to power call and I'll have a minitor 1-5 on my FDNY fanny pack.

On a more serious note..happy memorial day to all the veterans/family of vets on here.
    hammerhead38 likes this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FireFuss View Post
    I sure hope they still make orientation classes run a few miles. It's always funny to see how many people say "screw this" just for being asked to run a mile and a half in dress shoes....

Sissys!
    .....through the 8th Bn........

Thread Information