Like Tree365Likes

Thread: Philadelphia 2011

Forum Member

Let me start by staying my logic might be flawed because I don't know how the online app system works. People keep posting app conformation numbers on facebook, the earliest number I see is 47,800 or so and the highest is 86,000 or so. If you do the math that is 38,200 applications. I am assuming that the numbers are somewhat random because that seems like a lot. Does anyone have any idea how many applicants there were last time around? Bottom line it doesn't matter because there isn't much you can do other than study hard but I was just curious.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FireFuss View Post
    There were around 12-15,000 when I took the test in 05. That was all people who lived in the city already. Now that the city has opened up the process to anyone living anywhere, I'm sure the numbers will be closer to 20 or even 30K applicants. Not all of them will show, so dont be so intimidated by numbers.
    Definitely not intimidated. 05' huh? When did you actually get into the Academy?

MembersZone Subscriber

TODAY IS THE DEADLINE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Stogie81 View Post
    Definitely not intimidated. 05' huh? When did you actually get into the Academy?
    Fuss and I were classmates. Test 11/05, entered academy 01/07; we were actually the 3rd class off that test - I think he had to wait for his residency to be eligible, I just didn't study.
    Opinions expressed are mine alone, and do not necessarily reflect those of the Philadelphia Fire Department and/or IAFF Local 22.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by mrpita View Post
    TODAY IS THE DEADLINE!!!

Fuss and I were classmates. Test 11/05, entered academy 01/07; we were actually the 3rd class off that test - I think he had to wait for his residency to be eligible, I just didn't study.
    Oh, ok I know someone who was in the third class from the 05' test or the wait was 3 years I don't remember which it was. He loves it and says he could never see himself doing anything else. I really want that kind of feeling about what I do....so here's hopin' it isn't as long a wait to get in a class as is it was for him. But like he said it was worth the wait. October can't come fast enough to get the TPM and start studying.

Forum Member

There were around 12-15,000 when I took the test in 05. That was all people who lived in the city already. Now that the city has opened up the process to anyone living anywhere, I'm sure the numbers will be closer to 20 or even 30K applicants. Not all of them will show, so dont be so intimidated by numbers.
    Fuss, for as long as I can remember the test was open to anyone no matter the residence. I took it at least twice using a Huntingdon Valley address and once with a Bensalem address. Also took the Cop test once with the Bensalem address. I know of at least two guys from Maryland that took it back then also. Back then however they just would not hire you without one year's (verifiable) residence prior to your date of hire.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

hay am from memphis tn let's study hard i dont care if there were 70,000 just bring your a game

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by dumpsdad View Post
    hay am from memphis tn let's study hard i dont care if there were 70,000 just bring your a game
    They will eat you alive in Philly!
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Forum Member

For the people who has taken the test before Can you provide a sampke question that might be asked

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by dbask View Post
    For the people who has taken the test before Can you provide a sampke question that might be asked
    Study up on your english skills. I know that much.

Forum Member

the application is not clear on 5 yrs service as a fire/paramedic. is the 10 pts for only philadelphia paramedics or for anyone with 5 yrs of fire service paramedic?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by 7319 View Post
    the application is not clear on 5 yrs service as a fire/paramedic. is the 10 pts for only philadelphia paramedics or for anyone with 5 yrs of fire service paramedic?
    current City of Philadelphia Medics only.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Stogie81 View Post
    Let me start by staying my logic might be flawed because I don't know how the online app system works. People keep posting app conformation numbers on facebook, the earliest number I see is 47,800 or so and the highest is 86,000 or so. If you do the math that is 38,200 applications. I am assuming that the numbers are somewhat random because that seems like a lot. Does anyone have any idea how many applicants there were last time around? Bottom line it doesn't matter because there isn't much you can do other than study hard but I was just curious.
    also the last test that was given applicants had to pay 30 dollars to take it so that also brought the #`s down

MembersZone Subscriber

"Used to was..." the old residency requirement said, anyone can test, but to be hired you HAD to live in the city for a year prior to hiring.

Then Chuck Ramsey came along as PPD Commissioner, and saw the recruit pool that policy left for his dept.; he lobbied for and got it changed. The City then said that if it was good enough for the PD, it had to apply to all departments.

So NOW, we have the "anyone can test, and anyone can be hired" policy, but within 6 months you must move into the city if not already a resident.

A slice of the City's thinking for those not familiar: Now the PD has in their contract that the residency requirement lifted, in that after 5 years on the job you can move out of the city. However the City has decided that this policy is good enough for the PD, and too good for anyone else. Gotta love the irony.
    Opinions expressed are mine alone, and do not necessarily reflect those of the Philadelphia Fire Department and/or IAFF Local 22.

Forum Member

"A slice of the City's thinking for those not familiar: Now the PD has in their contract that the residency requirement lifted, in that after 5 years on the job you can move out of the city. However the City has decided that this policy is good enough for the PD, and too good for anyone else. Gotta love the irony".
    Thats true but don`t forget that the cops gave up furlows and some medical to get that residency and we still have no contract after 3 years
    Last edited by philly10; 08-09-2011 at 10:06 AM.

Forum Member

ggggggggggggggg
    Last edited by usellout911; 09-19-2012 at 07:28 PM.

Forum Member

Last time I checked people chose to be cops/ff. Give up medical and other benefits? Welcome to 2011. My advice to people on this board is to apply all over the country if you really care about being a FF.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by truckmonkey79 View Post
    Last time I checked people chose to be cops/ff. Give up medical and other benefits? Welcome to 2011. My advice to people on this board is to apply all over the country if you really care about being a FF.
    my advice to ppl is to give up nothing always fight to keep the medical and other benifits that you`ve earned over the years for you and your family and not to just get complacent and say oh well that`s the kind of thing that happens now

Forum Member

Firefuss is correct. Pass/fail really flies in the face of what civil service test were originally for. That is, to avoid undue political interference in the hiring process so that government jobs would not be political favors, but instead go to the most qualified person.

Anytime I see tests that aren't using strict score ranking, I can be sure that someone somewhere in the system has an agenda.

Forum Member

Addendum, been hearing a lot of BAD things about the upcoming test. PASS/FAIL IS YOUR ENEMY!! This city is trying to screw everyone except their preferred demographic with this bu11schit testing. Banded scores are bad news too. For a while you were ranked by your score, but if the city is allowed to use this technique of banding youre all screwed again. You could score a 99.9% and the guy with a 90.00000000% is the same rank as you because all scores 90-99.999999 are in the same band. So your studying means nothing to this administration. Interesting to see how much money the city wastes defending themselves from lawsuits similar to New Haven after this test...

The statment below is from the content valitity report for the 8th edition TPM. I would assume the same goes for the newer editions too.

RANKING AND SCORES ABOVE MINIMUM COMPETENCY: Evidence to support the use of ranking was not obtained in this validation study. Therefore, it is recommended that the TPM Test results be used on a pass/fail basis.

Forum Member

i can`t wait to see what the study guide for this test looks like the last one was a breeze and with the new crteria this should be nothing

Forum Member

Does Philly Fire still do "watch"?

Forum Member

Was just curious. I know DC& NY do, wasn't sure about Philly.

Forum Member

And the dispatchers are REAL EASY to understand LOL

Forum Member

I work down in DC we do watch and our dispatchers are horrible.......well they've gotten slightly better but still horrible. Atleast they have stopped some of the just obvious stupidty. For example the worse was when they told an engine to respond to let's say "15th st & Q st NW" then say "that's Q as in cucumber". Its like WTF....

MembersZone Subscriber

Now that the application period has closed, anyone hearing how many people applied?

Thread Information