Like Tree365Likes

Thread: Philadelphia 2011

Forum Member

Hey, just wanted to say good luck to those who are going down for orientation today.

On a side note, can anyone give me a traffic report for the area of the fire academy esp. rte 95 and county line road for the 2-4pm time frame? map quest has me at 2 hr 15 min from my house but I'm guessing that it doesn't factor in traffic/construction. thanks.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BigGriffC12 View Post
    Hey, just wanted to say good luck to those who are going down for orientation today.

On a side note, can anyone give me a traffic report for the area of the fire academy esp. rte 95 and county line road for the 2-4pm time frame? map quest has me at 2 hr 15 min from my house but I'm guessing that it doesn't factor in traffic/construction. thanks.
    Griff, IIRC you are coming down from the Tobyhanna area? Here's what I would do- take the NE Extension of the turnpike all the way down to the East-West turnpike. Run that eastbound to the "Philadelphia/Route 1" exit. Run Route 1 (The Roosevelt Blvd.) south to
    Rhawn Street or any other street that will get you over to State Road and into the Academy. Dont waste your time with County Line Road- which will be a lot of time. In fact, dont plan on getting there fast that time of day no matter what route you take, allow plenty of extra time.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

Thanks Buff..was planning on leaving 130-145ish which according to mapquest would put me at 3-30-345 but in real life I'm sure i'll be cutting it close.

Forum Member

ORIENTATION
    -Arrive on time or be sent away which means no chance for you. (2 individuals were denied entrance)
    - Bring all paperwork in the addition of your SS card and HS diploma or GED
    - Dress however you like, its hot in there and no one cares what you look like, its just general information given out.
    - Park outside the gate on the street
    - 2 Classes to be hired for september
    Last edited by alphahwiskey08; 05-29-2012 at 10:42 PM.
    hammerhead38 likes this.

Forum Member

.................................................. .............................................
    Last edited by JonBomb6; 04-28-2013 at 01:04 AM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by JonBomb6 View Post
    I HAVE to have my H.S. diploma with me?!? I'm going to have to look through all kinds of stuff to find that...
    Sorry, forgot to say that the majority of us did not have it since it wasn't mentioned in the letter they sent us to bring it. Just a FYI I guess.

Forum Member

.................................................. .............................................
    Last edited by JonBomb6; 04-28-2013 at 01:03 AM.

Forum Member

You guys man...my spare bedroom looks like a Tasmanian devil ran through it because I had to tear up a filing cabinet to find my transcripts..since my diploma went bye bye many moons ago..thanks for the heart attack right before I go to bed.

Forum Member

Fixxer:

What is unfair is these vets were given 10 points and still only scored 100. Thus they should be treated exactly like those who received the same grade. If they got a 110, I would have no problem with them receiving a letter before myself or any of the other ppl who scored 100's.

Now, who is REALLY applying themselves? Those who scored a 100 w/o any points? Or, those who scored 100 with the 10 points? By my math, they really scored a 90. Why should they be given any extra advantages. It seems like others want it more.

But, like I said, this information is surely going to the IAFF and CAFFA.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by alphahwiskey08 View Post
    ORIENTATION
    -Arrive on time or be sent away which means no chance for you. (2 individuals were denied entrance)
    - Bring all paperwork in the addition of your SS card and HS diploma or GED
    - Dress however you like, its hot in there and no one cares what you look like, its just general information given out.
    - Park outside the gate on the street
    - 2 Classes to be hired for september
    Thanks for the info! I'll find the diploma, and be parked outside the gate by 5:30

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Randomname2 View Post
    Fixxer:

What is unfair is these vets were given 10 points and still only scored 100. Thus they should be treated exactly like those who received the same grade. If they got a 110, I would have no problem with them receiving a letter before myself or any of the other ppl who scored 100's.

Now, who is REALLY applying themselves? Those who scored a 100 w/o any points? Or, those who scored 100 with the 10 points? By my math, they really scored a 90. Why should they be given any extra advantages. It seems like others want it more.

Bro, you need to let it go. The scoring came from a skewed personality exam. Go on eharmony and take there personality test..which is much more in depth then the PFD test was, my wife did it when she was in college, the website told her she was un-matchable based on her questions. Personality tests don't measure anything.

The only measure of applying one-self would be if you passed or didn't pass the study guide portion, since everyone that got a letter passed the exam, then that means everyone applied themselves enough to pass.

See you guys tomorrow. goodnight.
    hammerhead38 likes this.

Forum Member

Fixxer:

LOLOLOL WHAT! If I like roller coasters and you like the beach that means one of us wants it more. My GF is ranked 400s, scored a 100, is in nursing school, took the test for ****s and giggles and ranked surprisingly high. Now does that make her better qualified to be a FF? I THINK NOT. The woman is scared to use oil when cooking cause it "pops" and might burn her.

OK ok in all seriousness we must end this debate of who is most qualified with one final question. Please answer the following with I strongly agree, I agree, I disagree or I strongly disagree.
    I would rather drink coffee than tea.
    hammerhead38 likes this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by alphahwiskey08 View Post
    LOLOLOL WHAT! If I like roller coasters and you like the beach that means one of us wants it more. My GF is ranked 400s, scored a 100, is in nursing school, took the test for ****s and giggles and ranked surprisingly high. Now does that make her better qualified to be a FF? I THINK NOT. The woman is scared to use oil when cooking cause it "pops" and might burn her.

OK ok in all seriousness we must end this debate of who is most qualified with one final question. Please answer the following with I strongly agree, I agree, I disagree or I strongly disagree.
    I would rather drink coffee than tea.
    Hmm...black coffee? I prefer Extra light and sweet so I'd say strongly disagree..but I prefer cream and sugar in my tea as well..so my head is going to explode? I strongly agree.

Forum Member

It's really unfortunate the fire department is getting recruits who studied "enough" to get in. You're pathetic dude.

But with the questionable quality of the incoming recruits, the blatantly discriminatory hiring and promotional practices, a racist Commissioner, and an inept union, the PFD is pretty f**cked anyway.
    Last edited by Randomname2; 05-30-2012 at 01:05 AM.

Forum Member

It's really unfortunate the fire department is getting recruits who studied "enough" to get in. You're pathetic dude.
    This is getting comical actually. I really did not know you could study the WSI portion of the exam.

Forum Member

But with the questionable quality of the incoming recruits, the blatantly discriminatory hiring and promotional practices, a racist Commissioner, and an inept union, the PFD is pretty f**cked anyway.
    Then shut the f**k up and beat it a**hole! Go apply somewhere else!

You have been talking schit to PFD members and trashing the city/department since you've been commenting on here. And you want to work with these guys?

You need a serious beat down... we're tired of having to wade through your bull****!

beat it a**hole!
    hammerhead38 likes this.

Forum Member

anybody else think this guy "randomname" sounds exactly like "hemsparamedic" from earlier on in this thread?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by nutts09 View Post
    anybody else think this guy "randomname" sounds exactly like "hemsparamedic" from earlier on in this thread?
    yup, just glad this ****** didn't get a letter. maybe he can take his college diploma, put up a 35ft ladder and rescue someone.....like I always say....."You may be educated, but you're not smart"

Forum Member

Is this "inept union" that you are going to report this test to? I'm just saying, if you expect results from someone on an issue maybe you shouldn't be calling them inept. And..who is being discriminated against? let it go, move on, test somewhere else.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BigGriffC12 View Post
    Hmm...black coffee? I prefer Extra light and sweet so I'd say strongly disagree..but I prefer cream and sugar in my tea as well..so my head is going to explode? I strongly agree.
    Sorry Big Griff,...I somewhat disagree...I'm enjoying some New York Roast "bold and intense" coffee, with no sugar. I prefer hazelnut creamer only. Hope that works out for me, lmao! Well guys, I gotta go now...think I'll shower and shave, I might even wash my a** too. I have a long ride today. I figured I'll carry a lot of cash today...ya know, just in case I get a flat tire on the way, maybe I can call a cab and still be early...what do me and my HS diploma know?.....According to the last few posts of someone...I do know at least one jay bag that WON'T be there...hahahaha. Good luck guys!!

Forum Member

Good luck to everyone.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

Anyone seen Randome?

Facts:
    1. his degree isn't in fire science
    2. his degree isn't in civil service or labor law.
    3. prolly a degree in fingerpainting.
    4. seek jobs in fingerpainting.
    5. If there was a degree available to carry my jock..you would fail.

Questions:
    maybe I'm Hammerhead38 for a reason?
    maybe I have to get thru the Lincoln tunnel today?
    maybe I have 15+ years in a dangerous job?
    maybe I can freeze a pension I have EARNED?
    maybe I get thru this process, maybe I cant?
    maybe I need a carreer change?
    maybe I have seen a few things?
    maybe you can figure out when I started my job?..that requires basic math skills
    maybe PFD likes people with no firefighting experience?
    maybe PFD likes to train FF's their OWN way?
    maybe the instructors care about putting the BEST in firehouses?
    maybe I'm in shape?
    maybe this job requires balls?

Suggestions:

Go back on your hayride
    Stay off this board...your not qualified to post here
    If you must come back...please take the username "Sally"

Me:
    I have a letter to attend FF orientation. It tells me where to go and what to bring. It even tells me what time to report and what completed forms to bring. The letter is so basic it tells me not to be late. You might not know that because you didn't get a letter.

So....me, my completed forms and my sack are enroute southbound to the PFD Academy on State Road.

Have a nice day.

Forum Member

Did any of you guys get motivated by seeing engine 46 outside? I drooled for a little bit.

Forum Member

Good Luck, Men!

Forum Member

I saw the prefered demographic, drive right thru the FD academy gates and park in a designated Chief's spot...right by the front door of academy and in front of PFD Officers...they had to tell them to move..Wow

I saw prefered demographic checking in with his paperwork not filled out

I also saw a guy come in that looked like he just trudged thru the mountains with his backpack.
    I saw some beards and lenghty chin hair too
    I liked the guys that came in with hats on, nice touch...they were told to take them off.

that was only about 30 % that looked that way. most looked pretty good and squared away.

when the lady from personnel described the medical exam...she said she didn't have any control over what they did, but she gave some tips to us...example..there will be a urine test..if you are on percocet, bring the script with you..otherwise they will fail you on that...there will be an eye test...if you wear glasses bring them....And then a guy stands up and asks, "But I only wear reading glasses, do I have to bring them?"...REALLY? ...no dude, leave them home if it's such a burden

Thread Information