Like Tree365Likes

Thread: Philadelphia 2011

Forum Member

A heads-up for anyone going tomorrow, bring your HS diploma and SS card and DD214 and all of your paperwork filled out....including the PA criminal check you're supposed to do yourself online.

a polo shirt and long pants are fine

orientation is done by academy staff...they are squared away and serious.

go early and get seated early...like 30 or 4o minutes early..don't sit in your car till the last minute..there is a check-in process. if you sit in your car, you will wind up standing in a long line.

Think before you ask a question

Don't park in the Chief's spot!

Good Luck

Forum Member

.................................................. ........................................
    Last edited by JonBomb6; 04-28-2013 at 01:02 AM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by JonBomb6 View Post
    Yea I loved the reading glasses question LOL

My only complaint about the process is this... How is it that if you have something in your criminal background you can get hired by the PFD. The HR woman stated that if you have a criminal record from the past and you are honest with them you have a chance to explain yourself and possibly be hired. She also stated that the fire department is the only organization that can enter someone home without a warrant and they want us to be truthful and honest. Now, with that said, if someone who was arrested two years ago for armed robery can get this job... thats not fair to someone like me who has a perfect record. Yet again, I am not saying that if you had some type of arrest 10 or even 5 years ago you shouldn't get the job because God knows a lot of people make mistakes in their life but if you where arrested for some type of violent crime you should not get this job... period.
    Did you notice that like 1/3 of our group was arrested in north or south carolina? I was getting a little tired of the stupid questions..I mean there is no such thing as a stupid question, but listen to the questions asked before you and try to answer them yourselves..
    hammerhead38 likes this.

Forum Member

There are no stupid questions, only stupid people.

Forum Member

.................................................. .............................................
    hammerhead38 likes this.

Forum Member

Just curious... Are there any vets on the list who did not receive a letter? I'm just trying to figure out if all vets are being called first or if it is just random that some vets ranked higher got one.

Forum Member

Clipping my toe nails and ironing my job shirt for orientation tonight ... Wish me luck ... Hopefully my pager don't go off tonight
    hammerhead38 likes this.

Forum Member

I know she said like 10 times... put EVERYTHING DOWN and be HONEST... For crying out loud im worried about some minor traffic violations from 5 or 6 years ago... that I WILL be writing in that booklet.
    I looked through the book and I was like.."this is it??" I've been in processes down south where they give you a 31 page packet ranging from debt, gambling, drugs (drugs I've never even heard of) communist/nazi party affiliations, crimes of ANY kind, trespassing, sex with animals...I would imagine that all though the packet is kind of thin, that the actual checks are thorough. I'm pretty clean, only thing I have to do is drop like 40 or so pounds by aug 17th lol.

Forum Member

Yea I loved the reading glasses question LOL

My only complaint about the process is this... How is it that if you have something in your criminal background you can get hired by the PFD. The HR woman stated that if you have a criminal record from the past and you are honest with them you have a chance to explain yourself and possibly be hired. She also stated that the fire department is the only organization that can enter someone home without a warrant and they want us to be truthful and honest. Now, with that said, if someone who was arrested two years ago for armed robery can get this job... thats not fair to someone like me who has a perfect record. Yet again, I am not saying that if you had some type of arrest 10 or even 5 years ago you shouldn't get the job because God knows a lot of people make mistakes in their life but if you where arrested for some type of violent crime you should not get this job... period.
    She is misinformed about that. Police can go in your house without a search warrant. Example...someone calls 911 for a heart attack...police arrive first..they go in and render assistance, until a squad arrives. In a volley dept....house on fire..police arrive first..they go in and try to get people out. Neighbor calls and says husband beating the crap out of his wife...they go right in, even if they have to break thru a door. Police need a search warrant to enter if they are looking for evidence of a crime that is not in progress.

There are more steps to become a police officer...example...PT test before hire...psycological exam....But still, the point is be extremely honest in that booklet.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by hammerhead38 View Post
    She is misinformed about that. Police can go in your house without a search warrant. Example...someone calls 911 for a heart attack...police arrive first..they go in and render assistance, until a squad arrives. In a volley dept....house on fire..police arrive first..they go in and try to get people out. Neighbor calls and says husband beating the crap out of his wife...they go right in, even if they have to break thru a door. Police need a search warrant to enter if they are looking for evidence of a crime that is not in progress.

There are more steps to become a police officer...example...PT test before hire...psycological exam....But still, the point is be extremely honest in that booklet.
    It seems like they won't be too judgmental on your past as long as it was your PAST. No reason to lie and get booted out, and from my impression, everyone will get a chance to explain their actions so that is a good thing.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BigGriffC12 View Post
    I looked through the book and I was like.."this is it??" I've been in processes down south where they give you a 31 page packet ranging from debt, gambling, drugs (drugs I've never even heard of) communist/nazi party affiliations, crimes of ANY kind, trespassing, sex with animals...I would imagine that all though the packet is kind of thin, that the actual checks are thorough. I'm pretty clean, only thing I have to do is drop like 40 or so pounds by aug 17th lol.
    sounds like a police app..lol. Remember what the Lt. said last night? It's May 30th at 8:35pm....and told us what kind of shape to be in by Sept....get crackin' bro, good luck!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by craigc View Post
    Just curious... Are there any vets on the list who did not receive a letter? I'm just trying to figure out if all vets are being called first or if it is just random that some vets ranked higher got one.
    there were some non vets there

Forum Member

sounds like a police app..lol. Remember what the Lt. said last night? It's May 30th at 8:35pm....and told us what kind of shape to be in by Sept....get crackin' bro, good luck!
    My vollie dept has permission to use the gym on the army depot we run mutual aid for/with so I've been doing that a lot..got a weight vest, bulldozer tire..I might have too much motivation lol.

Forum Member

My other favorite question was when she said they need a copy of your HS diploma...and some dude stood up and asked if he should submit his college degree? She said we don't need that....it's not a requirement...what we NEED is your HS diploma. I'm not really knocking that guy, but yea, send it if you want...but they STILL NEED the HS diploma. No need to overthink the simple directions.

And they said we were a better squared away orientation class then the first one!

Good luck to everyone tonight!!
    BigGriffC12 likes this.

Forum Member

.................................................. .............................................
    hammerhead38 likes this.

Forum Member

Last post for today...gotta go...I don't mean to offend anyone with my sarcastic comments. I may or may not be in a class with anyone I "called-out"...crap..I may not even make the cut. And I mean no disrespect when I said preferred demographic...I kinda borrowed that phrase from other posts. I work well with anyone.... Just be serious about this job!!! If any of the PFD guys on the board want me to stand-down with my comments...I will

Forum Member

All you guys that are trying to get hired and make it throught the academy, good luck.

Remember, that every one that begins, not all make it to the end. Not every one will pass or be good enough to havethe badge and be assigned to a busy fire company.

Not saying that you guys don't have your heart into this. It is just the way the academy works. They try everything to break you and have you quit. If you can't make it throught the academy, you will never make in a fire house. It is that plain and simple.

To those who do get hired, keep your mouth shut, unless an Instructor or Officer ask you a question. Answer it in a short response and do not give your opinion to any staff member at the academy. They do not care how many hours of training you may have received in east arm pit mi. They don't care what you already know. Everything that you need to know to pass and be certificated by them will be taught to you. You must be able to absorb it.

Above all, DO NOT BE LATE! Have plenty of gas in your pov. Know the best routes to the academy so you will not get caught in traffic. The best best bet be there at 0600 hiurs, everyday you are suppose to.

Good luck, you are going to need it.
    JonBomb6 likes this.

Forum Member

So for you guys that went to Orientation, are you basically hired pending the background, medical, and drug test? Are they still doing interviews? Just curious about the process they are using. The way it sounds, from this point foward...it's elimination, not selection. (of course there's a million things that could happen between now and then, most of them out of one's control)

Forum Member

My only complaint about the process is this... How is it that if you have something in your criminal background you can get hired by the PFD. The HR woman stated that if you have a criminal record from the past and you are honest with them you have a chance to explain yourself and possibly be hired.
    Hired with a criminal background?????

Did you notice that like 1/3 of our group was arrested in north or south carolina?
    1/3 of the group has arrest records?????

Sounds like a screening book with no screening.

40 pounds by august is approx. 13lbs a month...your good

Forum Member

Last edited by deadbear271; 02-13-2013 at 09:01 PM.

Forum Member

there were some non vets there
    I understand that there are non-vets who received letters. My question is if EVERY vet who had a passing score was called for orientation. Are there any vets out there with a passing score who did not get a letter?

Forum Member

Hey, just wanted to see what the majority of you guys were going to do with your booklet..mail it in or hand deliver? I was thinking about hand delivering..and about sending it certified mail with a receipt confirmation...just wondering.

Forum Member

To be sure im going to deliver it in person. Remember she said theyl go over it with you to check that its all filled out right.

Forum Member

Sure got quiet, Is everyone busy with the yellow book?

Forum Member

Haha Called HR today for some guidance with the yellow book, nothing major I'm just nervous about forgetting something ... Needless to say the lady didn't seem to enthusiastic about answering questions ... All I got was "Do the best you can."

Thread Information