Like Tree365Likes

Thread: Philadelphia 2011

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BigGriffC12 View Post
    Hey, just wanted to see what the majority of you guys were going to do with your booklet..mail it in or hand deliver? I was thinking about hand delivering..and about sending it certified mail with a receipt confirmation...just wondering.
    If you hand deliver, make sure they stamp it received in your presence and then get a picture of the stamp with your cell phone.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

Hey can someone put the number from the letter (I believe it is for the FD HR) I had it and miss placed it.
    They stated in the orientation that they accept 2 out of the three color blindness, does anyone know which one they do not. I am assuming total (black, gray and white) is this wrong?

Forum Member

Does anyone have any thoughts/insight on deferment to a January class? Assuming you have a good list number and for any reason... family, current job, military, health, etc.

Forum Member

I called the number on front of the yellow book ... 215-686-1380

Forum Member

You can defer for any reason or no reason. However, there is no guarantee that there will be another class before your list expires. HIGHLY unlikely that there will be a January class.

Forum Member

Highly unlikely for a January class? Why do you say that? I got the impression from orientation that PFD would be having at least one in January, but maybe I'm wrong.

Forum Member

For starters, the two classes they are hiring are scheduled to run into January. They will not start another class immediately. Also, as far as I know, they had only planned and have approval to hire two classes (160 cadets) this year (as in fiscal year).

MembersZone Subscriber

Heard recently that the city is now on the THIRD list. Can't they get things right?

Also heard that all veterans, no matter where they are on the list, even with the 10 points, will be hired first before any non-veterans. Where is that in the Civil Service Regs?

It seems to me that the City Dept. of Human Resources just thumbs their nose at rules and does what they wish (or are told to do).

Forum Member

.................................................. .................................................. .....
    Last edited by JonBomb6; 04-28-2013 at 12:01 AM.

Forum Member

1. He shouldn't be sending anything, he should be driving / walking / SEPTAing
    2. He shouldn't be answering 'yes' to any drug questions. Why would he? Is there a polygraph? Is there a magic drug test that can see 7 years into your past? (Urinalysis = at MOST, 30 days)

Forum Member

.................................................. .................................................

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by JonBomb6 View Post
    Yea I told him not to send it... He said he was gonna try and walk it in...Thats what I told him I told him to say no... but he said he was worried because the HR woman said to tell the truth in the booklet and it says something in the booklet about omitting something can mean you are disqualified... I told him thats for if he fails the drug test.
    i don't know, maybe they do a hair sample drug test, but still...7 yrs? impossible to detect. maybe someone can expand on drug detection methods. Personally I don't want any drug users in the cab wit me. While we're on the topic, basically if I were in this process I'd stay far away from that sh**, even your friend/roomate is into it...move out and get new friends ASAP. Be a hermit for a month if you have to. All it takes is one incident.
    Last edited by SVandro; 06-05-2012 at 11:04 PM.

Forum Member

.................................................. .............................................

Forum Member

There will be a urinalysis as well as a hair sample. And for all you people who are going to say that you're bald...you're not completely hairless...they will find a hair sample.

As for answering the drug questions... I don't see any problem with being honest while admitting that you tried weed or something. If you were a heroin addict, don't turn your book in.

Forum Member

.................................................. ..............................................
    Last edited by JonBomb6; 04-28-2013 at 12:00 AM.

Forum Member

I think they are looking for honesty... I am answering "yes" because I was once a foolish teen and tried pot ... That being said, I have since grown up and am drug free ... I wouldn't worry about much unless you are current user ... Just be honest .. We all made mistakes

Forum Member

Last edited by JonBomb6; 08-09-2012 at 11:19 PM.

Forum Member

So you are you saying that veterans are getting hired before anyone else regaurdless of their spot on the list? So even if my number on the list is lower than someone who is a veteran then they will be considered for the position first? Where did you get your info? Not saying its wrong or anything but, I dropped my yellow book off today and the HR person said that the interview letters will be sent out in the order of the list as long as everythings in and the backround check is favorable. And they also said that the list has not changed from the second one that came out.

Forum Member

1. There is nothing wrong with sending in your documents via US Mail (via registered mail with a return receipt) unless if they specifically told you to drop it off in person. Again, if you are going to send it in the mail, REGISTERED MAIL, RETURN RECEIPT.

2. Answer any and all questions truthfully, honestly to 100% of your ability, especially if it is something that led to police involvement, even if there were no charges filed. They can and will find out if they really want to. Answer all questions about past drug use truthfully, honestly even if you smoked 1/2 a joint 7 years ago.
    deadbear271 likes this.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Banned

I turned my PDQ in on Monday morning. One of the first things HR asked after turning in my book was whether or not I was a veteran. "Non-veteran" was printed at the top of my book.....

There were multiple veterans in my orientation that had past criminal histories or were currently "pending" based upon the PA State Police portal background check. I currently sit in the low single 200's on the list and was wondering if a veteran with a criminal record would still be hired before a non-veteran with a completely clear history (not even a speeding ticket). I have roughly 40 people ahead of me considering that the city is taking "160", but will a veteran with a criminal record still get hired before someone like myself who has a completely clear history?

Thanks for your time

*Late entry* They also stated for every one potential candidate that they attempt to hire, they generally go through 3 people on the list to fill the void. Solely based on criminal background/drugs perhaps?
    Last edited by NorfPhilly; 06-08-2012 at 05:06 PM.

Forum Member

Dam dude She asked me the same thing, and wrote on the book! It makes sense now. Yea Im also in the low 200s hoping to get an interview, theres gotta be some reason she wrote that on there.

Forum Member

Here are the Civil Service regs that allow the PFD to skip non-vets on the list in favor of vets (11.103). It says they MAY do this, but they don't have to. There are 96 vets ranked below 104 that could be bumped up.

11.10 - VETERANS' PREFERENCE FOR APPOINTMENT FROM AN OPEN-COMPETITIVE ELIGIBLE LIST. In those cases where the two eligibles certified from an open-competitive eligible list to fill a vacancy are veterans and/or non-veterans, and the veterans have been granted Veterans' Preference, the following conditions shall control:

11.101 - Where two (2) veterans are certified, either veteran may be appointed.

11.102 - Where a veteran and a non-veteran are certified from an open-competitive eligible list, the veteran shall be appointed, provided however, that if the veteran declines the appointment, the appointing authority may either appoint the non-veteran or demand another eligible to replace the declination.

11.103 - When a veteran and a non-veteran are certified from an open-competitive eligible list, the appointing authority may request that the certification of the non-veteran be cancelled, and that the next highest-ranking veteran remaining on the eligible list be certified as a replacement so that the appointing authority has a choice of the top two available eligibles. Either of the two certified veterans may be appointed.

Banned

There is still no mention about criminal history though. The 5 or 10 points are warranted, but having a criminal record is not....

MembersZone Subscriber

Anyone with a felony conviction cannot be an EMT in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania. Therefore, those with felony convictions will not be hired.

Forum Member

Is everybody's book in? Just mailed mine this morning certified with signature requested..good luck.

Thread Information