Like Tree365Likes

Thread: Philadelphia 2011

Forum Member

any idea when the interview letters may go out?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by MaxmorrellFirefighter View Post
    any idea when the interview letters may go out?
    i'm feelin' this week... c'mon baby!

Forum Member

You would think they would be coming out sooner than later with a start date in Sept.

Forum Member

1 quick question..only reason why I ask is that my current lease is up at the end of august and I would like to formulate a plan or at least keep my wife abreast of any information..

If the dept is looking to get 160 people through at once, they had 320 come to orientation, what happens if im number 161,170 or whatever where whatever order system they have, I pass everything but just don't make the number? I'm assuming that I get automatically pushed to the next class? Also, what if something comes up in the medical that is "remedial" but isn't fixed by the 17th of august, and you pass everything else..do you get pushed to the next class automatically once you're good to go, or do you need to re-do the whole process for both situations? If I remember correctly, Fixxer, perhaps mentioned that there was no plans or rumors for classes after these 2, however, if I also remember correctly, I heard in this thread months ago, hiring of 300? just trying to be a realist and plan for the worst case scenario.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by BigGriffC12 View Post
    1 quick question..only reason why I ask is that my current lease is up at the end of august and I would like to formulate a plan or at least keep my wife abreast of any information..

If the dept is looking to get 160 people through at once, they had 320 come to orientation, what happens if im number 161,170 or whatever where whatever order system they have, I pass everything but just don't make the number? I'm assuming that I get automatically pushed to the next class? Also, what if something comes up in the medical that is "remedial" but isn't fixed by the 17th of august, and you pass everything else..do you get pushed to the next class automatically once you're good to go, or do you need to re-do the whole process for both situations? If I remember correctly, Fixxer, perhaps mentioned that there was no plans or rumors for classes after these 2, however, if I also remember correctly, I heard in this thread months ago, hiring of 300? just trying to be a realist and plan for the worst case scenario.

Big ~

There are a ton of guys that are retiring this fall. The 160 hired in September will not even cover those retiring. Not to mention that another big group goes out in early to mid 2013. So I can see 4-5 groups of 80 candidates being hired from the list. I'm sitting at around 200 and know of some guys that have already deferred that were in the top 50. Just keep up on everything now and shoot for that interview and medical.....the worst case scenario is that I miss the first two classes by a couple numbers but get into incredible shape. Remember statistically.....3 candidates to hire 1.....but realistically 320 to get 160

Forum Member

my biggest concern, obviously the weight issue, as much as I want to be like..yea I'll make it, gotta plan for the worst outcome as well..thanks.

Forum Member

at my orientation on the 31st, the last of orientation week, HR said, "We are (crosses fingers) pushing for two more classes" to start at the beginning of 2013.

my biggest concern, obviously the weight issue, as much as I want to be like..yea I'll make it, gotta plan for the worst outcome as well..thanks.
    Griff, worst outcome is (granted you pass everything) you get a few more months to make the weight. And, if you're moving, etc.. this might be the BEST outcome...

Forum Member

deleted because i submitted twice
    Last edited by GOOSH!; 06-20-2012 at 12:13 AM. Reason: double post

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by GOOSH! View Post
    at my orientation on the 31st, the last of orientation week, HR said, "We are (crosses fingers) pushing for two more classes" to start at the beginning of 2013.

Griff, worst outcome is (granted you pass everything) you get a few more months to make the weight. And, if you're moving, etc.. this might be the BEST outcome...
    We're torn between if I get the job, buy a house in Philly, or, I live with relatives for my academy duration then come back home on my 4 days off, or I try to find a room mate..like this is almost a dream come true but it is causing a lot of confusion for us lol.

Forum Member

anyone get their letters?

Banned

anyone get their letters?
    Rumors? Or did they actually go out?

Forum Member

just asking.

Forum Member

Thanks for getting everyone excited Griff

Forum Member

No one should have gotten excited..I checked my mail today, did not receive my letter, there had not been much posting going on here so i figured I'd keep people alert..Just bc I didn't get mine, doesn't mean that everyone on here didn't get one.

Forum Member

So we are waiting for letters to interview?

Banned

It's only been a week since the PDQ's were due

Definitely not enough time for "them" to pick who "they" want....

Forum Member

But in all honesty, if the end date for medical issues is august 17th, they still need to send out letters, interview 160 plus people, schedule those people for finger printing then get them into the first medical, and by what I hear on here and what she told us the medical is going to take forever...labs, drug test results..yada yada yada...

Forum Member

So in order to make everything happen..we would need to be scheduled for interviews by this week or the end of next week at the latest..

Banned

From what friends tell me all over the city....

The interview is just to see whether or not you're able to sit, breath and talk...

Let's hope for the best

Forum Member

but still..if 320 people sat for orientation (I know the number was a little less) so say 300 people sat..100 people get kicked for not turning their booklets in or for background issues that is still 200 people they need to sit and talk to..the ems personnel, the HR lady, and the chiefs. that is 2-3 days worth of talking to people..it just seems like the process would naturally take longer then what they made it seem..I dunno, maybe I'm just trying to buy myself an extra couple of weeks lol.

Forum Member

We're torn between if I get the job, buy a house in Philly, or, I live with relatives for my academy duration then come back home on my 4 days off, or I try to find a room mate..like this is almost a dream come true but it is causing a lot of confusion for us lol.
    You are currtley required to reside FULL TIME within the city limits of Philadelphia once employed as a firefighter. Unless you would like to see your dream dissolve before your eyes, I would suggest that once youre employed, you follow the rules. There are many factors used by the city to determine your primary residence. Going back home on your 4 days off, certainly that wouldnt help your case.

Even if in this next arbitration award we get the ability to reside outside the city, dont expect the new guys to be able to do this. The police award stated they are required to have 5 years of service prior to moving out. I would expect that should we win this ability, the requirements would be almost identical.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by PhillyTruck18 View Post
    You are currtley required to reside FULL TIME within the city limits of Philadelphia once employed as a firefighter. Unless you would like to see your dream dissolve before your eyes, I would suggest that once youre employed, you follow the rules. There are many factors used by the city to determine your primary residence. Going back home on your 4 days off, certainly that wouldnt help your case.

Even if in this next arbitration award we get the ability to reside outside the city, dont expect the new guys to be able to do this. The police award stated they are required to have 5 years of service prior to moving out. I would expect that should we win this ability, the requirements would be almost identical.

Where I was going with my post was..my current lease is up in august, If I don't get the "congratulations, you've made it" letter before that then I'm going to be in a tight spot...I'm aware of the "must be a resident of Philadelphia prior to 6 months after appointment, and I'm fine with that..I'm talking the first couple weeks..

Forum Member

From what I remember reading about past classes, it usually took 2-3 weeks for them to receive their letters. That would be pretty fast.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by PhillyTruck18 View Post
    Griff, as you probably already know, this is faulty information. You are not required to be a resident of the city until 6 months after your appointment.

Also, no Battalion Chiefs have been notified of being scheduled to conduct interviews. Relax. Realize you're talking City Time.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BigGuyPhilly View Post
    Griff, as you probably already know, this is faulty information. You are not required to be a resident of the city until 6 months after your appointment.

Also, no Battalion Chiefs have been notified of being scheduled to conduct interviews. Relax. Realize you're talking City Time.
    thanks for the update BigGuy...

So, does this interview with the Chiefs come before or after backgrounds have been completed?

Thread Information