Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 44 of 134 FirstFirst ... 34414243444546475494 ... LastLast
Like Tree365Likes

Thread: Philadelphia 2011

Forum Member

Delete post
    Last edited by the shadow; 01-31-2013 at 04:39 AM.

Forum Member

May 31st ... 100's for me as well

Forum Member

May 29th orientation for me.

My GF who took the exam as well ranked 400's and did not receive a letter.

Forum Member

May 31 for me low 200s

I am sitting here and am absolutely, positively incredulous at what I am seeing. Instead of coming on here and asking each other about "hey did you get a letter, what number are you?" or "the city did not give me an answer to this question" or "I think the city is full of schit" or whatever, you guys should all be banding together and organizing.......Go to a CAFFA meeting, or contact CAFFA and find an attorney who knows the Civil Service system in Philly.......file a lawsuit gentlemen, or the city will just trample all over you......oh, excuse me, my bad- they already have.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

......and the reason someone in the 1200's got a letter is because they want to make sure they get enough preferred demographic applicants that will pass the background, pizz and physical tests in order to get enough preferred demographic recruits............and the reason someone (a female at that) in the 400's did not get a letter???? GET A LAWYER!!!!!!! FILE AN INJUNCTION TO STOP THEM FROM HIRING WITH THIS LIST UNTIL THE QUESTIONS ARE ANSWERED!!!!!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BigGriffC12 View Post
    Hey, I'm in the 1200's and just got my letter...I have a few questions maybe someone can help me out..
    BigGriff, If you don't mind answering a few questions, it might shed some light on a few things for everyone's benefit.

1. Are you a white male?
    2. Is your rank on the list near the top of your group of scores? Ie. you said you scored in the 80's, so are you near the top of that group of scores?

Trying to determine if this is the banding they were talking about. It's possible that they are taking the top people from each band of scores...

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff View Post
    I am sitting here and am absolutely, positively incredulous at what I am seeing. Instead of coming on here and asking each other about "hey did you get a letter, what number are you?" or "the city did not give me an answer to this question" or "I think the city is full of schit" or whatever, you guys should all be banding together and organizing.......Go to a CAFFA meeting, or contact CAFFA and find an attorney who knows the Civil Service system in Philly.......file a lawsuit gentlemen, or the city will just trample all over you......oh, excuse me, my bad- they already have.
    You really talk a lot about "law suits", "class action", "injunctions", etc. I remember reading how when you tested you were passed over several times despite scoring high. Did you file a lawsuit? I'm not saying you didn't, but if you did, it doesn't look like it served you well. Just saying...

Forum Member

Fixxer..I am a 26 year old married white male.

I'd put myself in the mid-80s.

I really shouldn't have said anything, I feel like I'm going to be stoned to death when I show up for my orientation.

I'll be honest with everyone,like I said I wrote Philly off, oh well, I'd rather go to a museum then an amusement park, guess I'm not cutting it this round..I focused on other things, other jobs, going to school..and I got a letter. I didn't expect it, I didn't plan for it, but I'm not going to apologize for it or call the city and be like NO..I don't deserve it.

Sorry if anyone gets offended, wasn't my fault, but I got a chance and I'll be da*nd if I don't make the most of it. Good luck to everyone else.

Forum Member

Maybe they did 1 group for residents, 1 for high scores, and 1 for vets..because honestly, even with banding, I find it hard to believe that they would get to my list number..for 180 spots? just saying.

Forum Member

.............................. .............................. .............................. ..
    Last edited by JonBomb6; 04-28-2013 at 12:39 AM.
    deadbear271 likes this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by JonBomb6 View Post
    I think it all has something to do with your emt cert... I think they bumped you up in rank and they just didn't tell you. It could have been a mistake but show up to orientation and see what happens...Don't let anyone else tell you don't deserve it because any other man in your position would do the same exact thing. For all you know they bumped your rank... don't sweat it.
    Bro, I still think it is a mistake..But everything has my correct name and address on it.

Forum Member

I talked to HR in the Fire Dept and she said they only sent out 300 letters . She also said that there might be other round of letters going out later this year.

Quote Originally Posted by the shadow View Post
    You really talk a lot about "law suits", "class action", "injunctions", etc. I remember reading how when you tested you were passed over several times despite scoring high. Did you file a lawsuit? I'm not saying you didn't, but if you did, it doesn't look like it served you well. Just saying...
    If you are saying that in general lawsuits dont serve anyone well, I only have this to say.....The consent decree got dissolved, didnt it?????? (which is precisely why the city is now playing these games.)....Just saying.........

Forum Member

So is the current rumor 2 classes this summer and 2 more in 2013? Im most likely going to pass up the first academy but really do not want to regret that decision if there won't be any classes at a later date.

Forum Member

does philly allow cadets to choose which academy they want to be in. what do u mean pass up the first academy.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by blackrambo View Post
    does philly allow cadets to choose which academy they want to be in. what do u mean pass up the first academy.
    Im a veteran/EMT in good health so i do not expect anything to hold me back from getting accepted into the first academy. I did however read somewhere that you can defer the academy up to 3 times before being dropped. I just got my RN and was fortunate enough to get an ED slot right out the gate. Orientation is 4 months and i doubt I can do both right away this summer. So in my situation a 2013 academy will better fit my schedule as i want to be a FF/RN. I should just ask at the orientation in a couple weeks.

Forum Member

BigGriff, I wouldn't let what anyone else thinks bother you. That is golden career and life advice too. Despite how people want to bitch about the City screwing up, I highly doubt you received the letter in error. You will be anonymous at the orientation so if you blab about being in the 1200's, it's on you, otherwise just blend in with the mix.

Alphawhiskey, You can defer, but I believe it goes by time periods, not classes, ie. 6 months. And FYI, you are NOT permitted to work ANY outside employment during your first 6 months. If it is discovered, you will be terminated. Since you are on probation for the 1st year, any infraction can quickly lead to termination and the union can do very little to protect you due to your probationary status. A few things you may want to consider: 1. It's possible this list will be frozen by lawsuits once a class is actually hired (since as of right now, no one has been hired, so no one can sue that they've been wronged). 2. Despite rumors of closings, etc., the PFD is a pretty stable and reliable career job. How is the stability, security, and benefits package in nursing? 3. Quite a few members are also RNs, and have completed the schooling and requirements while working for the PFD. Our schedule allows for a lot of flexibility. 4. Really contemplate if securing a part-time job is worth the risk of losing a full time career.

Good luck to everyone and congrat's to those with letters in hand!

Forum Member

I am curious about what happens to those who don't make it into the first two classes. If roughly 320 letters where sent out then half of them would be in the classes. But what happens to the other 160 people? Do they get removed from the list or do they get into the next 2 classes?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by the shadow View Post
    I am curious about what happens to those who don't make it into the first two classes. If roughly 320 letters where sent out then half of them would be in the classes. But what happens to the other 160 people? Do they get removed from the list or do they get into the next 2 classes?
    Your question needs to be clarified... Anyone who fails any portion of the hiring process (ie. drug test, background, etc) is permanently removed from the list. For those who pass everything but don't get called for the class, they will be the first ones selected for the next class. Depending on the amount of time that elapses between classes, a second drug test and/or physical may be administered.

Thread Information