Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 45 of 134 FirstFirst ... 35424344454647485595 ... LastLast
Like Tree365Likes

Thread: Philadelphia 2011

Guys, as stated here previously, the drill/burn tower at the Academy needs some work before they can use it for classes- I confirmed that myself through a friend who is a Lieutenant at the Fire Academy. What he was not sure of however, was how long it would take for the City and/or the PFD to find the money to do the repairs and then actually do them. He suspected it would be well into the late summer/early fall before they started any classes, but also said there was no bet on that, either.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

It will take a minimum of 2-3 months after orientation to process everyone. End of summer to early fall is an accurate statement for the soonest classes would start.

Forum Member

Hey Fixxer, I just tried sending you a PM

Forum Member

What does the processing actually entail? Interview? Physical? etc?

Forum Member

I was trying to read through old forums..and I'm pretty sure its background, interview, medical, fitting..academy..by the way...I destroyed a pair of pants helping your boys re-pack 13845757389394 lengths of 5 inch.

Forum Member

pipeline 27 haha

Forum Member

I didn't bring gear..figured it would be class work..I was wrong. I went to un-kink charged 5 inch..all i head was a tear..it went down hill from there

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by deadbear271 View Post
    What does the processing actually entail? Interview? Physical? etc?
    At orientation you will receive a PDQ (Personnel Data Questionnaire). That will take a few days to complete accurately. It is basically your life in a book. You then need to turn that in to fire headquarters. The packet will be reviewed and your information will be handed off to the Police Dept who will conduct a background investigation. This will include all criminal history as well as detectives contacting your neighbors, etc. You will have a "formal" interview with a panel of chiefs who will ask you generic questions about yourself and why you want to join the department. This really has no bearing on getting hired and is pretty much a formality unless you say or do something stupid. The next interview is with a member of personnel and this is the "real" interview. They will basically go over every page of the PDQ with you, verify the information, and grill you a little about any transgressions (ie. speeding tickets, trying pot, etc). You will then be scheduled for a comprehensive medical examination. Plan on being there all day. You then need to go back a few days later for the TB test to be read. Once that is all complete, you will be scheduled to go up to the academy for bunker gear fitting. If I remember correctly, you then just sit and wait. If you multiply the above process by 300+ candidates, limit the working times to Mon-Fri dayworks, and factor in that this is an additional workload for most of the people involved, it's easy to see why it can a few months.

Forum Member

thank you sir

Forum Member

What if you don't have neighbors..or don't talk to them..or plan on moving into a smaller house in a different area? I only have 1 neighbor, all the other houses are either for rent and vacant or sheriffs sale and vacant. There is only 1 woman who my wife and I shared an apartment with that I've interacted with/ can actually get into contact with.

I'm going to screw this up

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BigGriffC12 View Post
    What if you don't have neighbors..or don't talk to them..or plan on moving into a smaller house in a different area? I only have 1 neighbor, all the other houses are either for rent and vacant or sheriffs sale and vacant. There is only 1 woman who my wife and I shared an apartment with that I've interacted with/ can actually get into contact with.

I'm going to screw this up
    In your PDQ you will list all of your previous addresses. The police will track down whomever they want. You'd be surprised how much people know about you, even if you've never said Hi to them....which could be something they say about you!! Welcome to the longest few months of your life due to worrying....hopefully followed by the next longest few months of your life due to getting your azzes kicked...

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff View Post
    Guys, as stated here previously, the drill/burn tower at the Academy needs some work before they can use it for classes- I confirmed that myself through a friend who is a Lieutenant at the Fire Academy. What he was not sure of however, was how long it would take for the City and/or the PFD to find the money to do the repairs and then actually do them. He suspected it would be well into the late summer/early fall before they started any classes, but also said there was no bet on that, either.
    I'm not sure who you talked to but that is wrong I was at the academy today and the Tower was in use. I haven't been on the site in some time due to all the BS, lies,and sheer lazieness in alot of the questions that are asked. It seems like not much has changed fair well
    nutts09 and Old 98 like this.

Forum Member

.............................. .............................. ............
    Last edited by JonBomb6; 04-28-2013 at 12:12 AM.

Forum Member

Are there any automatic DQs? I mean, I know I'm going to get my balls busted over some stuff I did 5-6+ years ago, but as long as I can explain myself I'm not worried. I just want a realistic as possible state of mind going into this so i don't get emotionally attached to this job like I've done for others and been hurt when it doesn't turn out the way I pictured.

Forum Member

Default Whoa

So you rank in the 1200's, got a letter and may have your balls busted for some "stuff" you got into 5 years ago? Dude, you are one lucky guy. So many guys who scored a 100 and have clean backgrounds have no shot. Enjoy it pal you, literally, hit the lottery. Kind of a shame though.

Forum Member

Yea, I really did hit the lottery. You know the cost of that ticket? 3 years in Iraq and an IED that ripped off parts of my face and almost left me blind. If you don't have something positive to contribute don't waste my time or anyone Else's time. I'm done posting on here, you people act like you guys studied soo much harder then anyone else. The first portion was pass/fail, I passed..did you? the second portion of the test was a personality quiz..I guess I have the personality to die overseas but not to put fires out in Philadelphia.. Get over yourself, I didn't ask for a letter..they sent me one. I moved on..maybe you should to.
    JonBomb6 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by philly10 View Post
    I'm not sure who you talked to but that is wrong I was at the academy today and the Tower was in use. I haven't been on the site in some time due to all the BS, lies,and sheer lazieness in alot of the questions that are asked. It seems like not much has changed fair well
    I was told by a Lt. currently assigned to fire school that the tower could not currently be used for burns due to damage. What can I say???

Forum Member

Maybe you can file a lawsuit agaisnt him.

Quote Originally Posted by Upsidedown View Post
    Maybe you can file a lawsuit agaisnt him.
    hahahahahaha you are about as funny as a fart in a jar. Enjoy standing on the other side of the fence while those who scored lower on the test than you are going through the fire academy and on to their assigned companies while you continue to deliver pizzas.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BigGriffC12 View Post
    Yea, I really did hit the lottery. You know the cost of that ticket? 3 years in Iraq and an IED that ripped off parts of my face and almost left me blind. If you don't have something positive to contribute don't waste my time or anyone Else's time. I'm done posting on here, you people act like you guys studied soo much harder then anyone else. The first portion was pass/fail, I passed..did you? the second portion of the test was a personality quiz..I guess I have the personality to die overseas but not to put fires out in Philadelphia.. Get over yourself, I didn't ask for a letter..they sent me one. I moved on..maybe you should to.
    As another PH vet, I really do hope you get the position man.

Thread Information