Like Tree365Likes

Thread: Philadelphia 2011

Forum Member

My 'reliable friend' received the conditional, which is one-and-the-same as the medical appointment, at the conclusion of the interview. (I did actually see the letter w/ my own eyes. OK fine, it's my brother) He did his medical already and now is waiting on gear fitting. He's buggin' out now because he hasn't heard anything back yet. Is gear fitting a separate letter, does anyone know? I keep telling him it's early, some people haven't even interviewed yet. And they're not going measure you up and buy you gear if they don't even have a solid academy start date yet.
    Last edited by SVandro; 07-19-2012 at 07:59 PM.
    unbroken136 likes this.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by SVandro View Post
    My 'reliable friend' received the conditional, which is one-and-the-same as the medical appointment, at the conclusion of the interview. (I did actually see the letter w/ my own eyes. OK fine, it's my brother) He did his medical already and now is waiting on gear fitting. He's buggin' out now because he hasn't heard anything back yet. Is gear fitting a separate letter, does anyone know? I keep telling him it's early, some people haven't even interviewed yet. And they're not going measure you up and buy you gear if they don't even have a solid academy start date yet.
    Word on the street is everything needs to be completed prior to August 17th (interview/medical). If the last group of candidates is interviewing August 1st-August 10th and you add 7 days from your interview date, that would put medicals being completed August 8th-August 17th. The timeframe works, and some "friends" in the 8th Battallion said 80 guys Sept 10th, 80 guys Sept 14th....the LT at orientation said that gear fitting would take place on a Saturday

Forum Member

Tell your bro congrats..Hopefully all of us will be in class together.

Forum Member

Only 53 days til academy!! Please pick me, please pick me! lol
    Ladders 4 likes this.

Forum Member

I know that some of the guys on the job have discussed questions asked by the Chief..just wondering if your brother wouldn't mind sharing some insight for the rest of us?

Forum Member

Thanks Griff, much appreciated. I would love to give you guys more info, but I'm not a liberty to put him out there or compromise his process at all. not to mention I don't see him much. I do know that he interviewed with two battalion chiefs, and also another interview with personnel. Basically he said it was pretty much what you'd expect from a fire dept interview, perhaps less in depth and not too many open ended questions. Sounds similar to what guys on here have been talking about for their process several yrs ago...
    Last edited by SVandro; 07-19-2012 at 09:33 PM.

Forum Member

I understand totally, I've never talked to a real career firefighter before face to face, esp. not a conversation that can possibly make or break a job lol..no issues though.

Forum Member

I'm going to turn to stone..or, write all of my answers down because I'm not worthy to speak to them lol.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BigGriffC12 View Post
    I'm going to turn to stone..or, write all of my answers down because I'm not worthy to speak to them lol.
    Slate tablets will be provided. You must bring your own writing stone. Permission to speak must be requested by referring to yourself in the third person. Ok this joke is going too far.

Forum Member

Slate tablets will be provided. You must bring your own writing stone. Permission to speak must be requested by referring to yourself in the third person. Ok this joke is going too far.
    No joke though, in basic training we used to have to knock 3 times and ask permission to speak in the 3rd person or we would get smoked like crazy...

Forum Member

No joke though, in basic training we used to have to knock 3 times and ask permission to speak in the 3rd person or we would get smoked like crazy...
    Been there Griff. And don't dare call an enlisted NCO "sir." In the academy, I wouldn't worry bout that..you can never go wrong with 'sir'.

On a side note, the 10th would be a sweet day to start...you'd have the first 2 weekends off, and the 3rd Sunday. Not that it really matters. You'll probly have a ton of homework. I know when I was in the academy, the only thing I cared about WAS the academy.

Forum Member

Will the new contract arbitration issue effect the hiring of this class or future classes? I just read an article about the IAFF convention and how the Philly FD has more important things to worry about..

Is this class in Sept for sure 100% or is it based on the outcome of this arbitration?

Here's a link:
    http://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/201...-philadelphia/

Forum Member

anyone know what # they are up to?

Thanks

Forum Member

Whats the traffic/parking situation like near the fire and police administration buildings? Don't wanna get stuck looking for a spot while driving in between buildings. Is it feasible to walk? Any advice would be appreciated.

Forum Member

Awesome ... Thank you FireFuss

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FireFuss View Post
    There is an L stop at 8th and Market (Market East station). That is literally 2 blocks from the round house (Police Headquarters). And there is another L stop at 2nd and Spring Garden, less than a block from the Fire Admin Building.

Parking is metered on the streets around both buildings and not usually that busy.
    If you were us, having an interview before 9am would you take the train, or drive and park?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FireFuss View Post
    Does your car start every time you get in it? Worried about it breaking down anytime soon? No? Then I personally would drive. I like to be in charge of getting there on time myself. Not to say the trains aren't reliable, but you cant get off a train stopped in the middle of the route and take another way can you. There is a lot of metered parking around 2nd/3rd and Spring Garden. Same goes for 8th and Race. If your driving just give yourself plenty of time, dont rush.

Good luck
    Thanks fuss..I have some family outside the city in Bucks co..The wife was thinking about getting a hotel and going on an overnight trip. I was hoping the parking situation was as good as you said it was, because I really hate taking public transportation when I'm from out of town and it is for something this important.

Thanks again..btw are you attending the convention?

Forum Member

If you were us, having an interview before 9am would you take the train, or drive and park?
    Drive yourself. Leave plenty of time and bring a handful of quarters. If you leave enough time, you can park several blocks away "in the neighborhood" for free. Or, park right on Spring Garden St. somewhere between 3rd & 5th Sts...there is usually a meter open. Either way, don't let mass transit have control over your future career.

Banned

One week to go gentlemen!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by NorfPhilly View Post
    One week to go gentlemen!
    True story..I'm running my suit pants to the tailor tomorrow so I can get them back and press them on Monday.

On a side note..you don't think if I got a blue tie that the chiefs would find that offensive since the whole..red line red=firefighting blue=police do you?

MembersZone Subscriber

True story..I'm running my suit pants to the tailor tomorrow so I can get them back and press them on Monday.

On a side note..you don't think if I got a blue tie that the chiefs would find that offensive since the whole..red line red=firefighting blue=police do you?
    No. Come on, don't over-analyze this. You'll drive yourself crazy. Just dress nice and presentable in business attire. Truthfully answers questions to the best of your knowlege. And relax as best you can. The interviewers know that you are nervous. Been there .... done that.

Forum Member

As far as parking in Philly, you need to pay very strict attention to the signs on the street where you want to park. There are times that you can't park at all, rush hours, etc. If you mess up and get a ticket and towed, you'll have to pay the PPA a visit. Be prepared for a long wait to get you car.

If you guys who are aspiring to get hired will put the quality time once you get hired at the Academy as you have in these 66 pages, you may do pretty well.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaptOldTimer View Post
    As far as parking in Philly, you need to pay very strict attention to the signs on the street where you want to park. There are times that you can't park at all, rush hours, etc. If you mess up and get a ticket and towed, you'll have to pay the PPA a visit. Be prepared for a long wait to get you car.

If you guys who are aspiring to get hired will put the quality time once you get hired at the Academy as you have in these 66 pages, you may do pretty well.
    Way to freak me out..thanks lol

Banned

I have my interview @ 8:30am. Does anyone know the duration of the interview? At the completion of the interview do we go directly to police headquarters or will they give us a specific time slot? There is no mention of time in the letter....

Just trying to determine how long the process will take because I work at 3pm.

Forum Member

Norf, my prints are at 845 and my interview is at 1045 ... also my buddy is scheduled 45 minutes after me ... So if they have only one interview panel, I imagine it will be rather quick

Thread Information