Like Tree365Likes

Thread: Philadelphia 2011

Forum Member

Hello to everyone on this forum-I have been reading this forum since the testing began-I have gone to bed furious over the disrespectful comments made towards vets and active military personnel. I have seen Mr. Gosh - complain on and on about this so called unfair process-a process which included a two part test- a pass/fail portion and a personality test which was graded to create the eligible list. I've heard from guys on this forum that they have worked and studied harder so putting vets first is unfair. Let's wake up and understand a few things- in my orientation it was filled with military they all looked in solid shape no out of shape slobs like Mr. Gosh would suggest - or mental conditions which you really need to clarify. If you never deployed to a foreign country experienced the daily stress of combat then you should not speak on it. I've served this great country and still do. And honestly I am thankful that I have this oppurtunity because there are thousands of vets who do not- have jobs and whose families are struggling . After servicing this country vets should have a preference and definitely should be priority. Good luck griff and to all the vets right now being processed our service is the reason we have this forum right now
    . Remember that gosh before speaking

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Big wil View Post
    Hello to everyone on this forum-I have been reading this forum since the testing began-I have gone to bed furious over the disrespectful comments made towards vets and active military personnel. I have seen Mr. Gosh - complain on and on about this so called unfair process-a process which included a two part test- a pass/fail portion and a personality test which was graded to create the eligible list. I've heard from guys on this forum that they have worked and studied harder so putting vets first is unfair. Let's wake up and understand a few things- in my orientation it was filled with military they all looked in solid shape no out of shape slobs like Mr. Gosh would suggest - or mental conditions which you really need to clarify. If you never deployed to a foreign country experienced the daily stress of combat then you should not speak on it. I've served this great country and still do. And honestly I am thankful that I have this oppurtunity because there are thousands of vets who do not- have jobs and whose families are struggling . After servicing this country vets should have a preference and definitely should be priority. Good luck griff and to all the vets right now being processed our service is the reason we have this forum right now
    . Remember that gosh before speaking
    Since you are having a hard time paying attention as well, Big wheel, I will repeat myself once again: i HAVE ALL THE RESPECT IN THE WORLD FOR VETS. THANK YOU TO ALL OUR MILITARY PERSONNEL FOR WHAT YOU DO!

Okay, now, I still don't think they should automatically be put to the top of the list even though they are ranked very low. So according to you, Big Wheel, vets should not even HAVE to take the test... they should just get hired automatically because they're vets, regardless...

Forum Member

can we turn this forum back into a positive thread now please...

maybe somebody got an official invite to one of the academies?

Forum Member

GOOSH --ITS WIL -- NOT WHEEL !!!!! --- but i see how this is going to go --- yes veterans and active miltiary personnel should have first dibs at city and goverment jobs -- in fact the real reason that this is even happening is due to the vet hire initiative that the govt. put out to city and govermant agencies-in fact there is funding tied to the hiring of vets-which means the city will receive addtional monies from the govt to hire fire and police cadets. I do believe that vets, active and reserve should have an exception made-and this notion that they scored low -- man whatever - they passed the test on the pass/fail portion - the WSI which is a personality test was scored- what makes the way you think and react to a situation more prepared than the next man.. Goosh i see that you are only on here to create a lot of noise - your belief is just that your beleif. I beleive any man or woman that served this great nation-sacrificed there body -mind-and famliy in service to this country damn well has earned the right to get first dibs on government and local government jobs. Enlist in the service - get deployed 3,4,5 times or more get shot at -blown up-lose close friends in battle and then come home and tell me you dont deserve preference for what you have done. Its fair and actually its about time that men and women coming home from battle had these oppurtunities extended to them.
    And again its WIL NOT WHEEL .

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by GOOSH! View Post
    can we turn this forum back into a positive thread now please...

maybe somebody got an official invite to one of the academies?
    GOOSH---I heard there is a place in South Philly that sells fake DD-214s, maybe that will help you in the future.
    BigGriffC12 likes this.

Forum Member

Serious question, esp. for any out of state people. I know you have 6 months to move into the city after you are hired, but what about any valid PA drivers license at time of appointment? I have actually gotten two different answers from personnel, one person saying you need a PA license by starting date, the other saying you can have an out of state license as long as you move to the city and change it within 6 months.

Any insight or experiences would be helpful, thanks.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by nyhook1977 View Post
    GOOSH---I heard there is a place in South Philly that sells fake DD-214s, maybe that will help you in the future.
    Some people fail to realize the brotherhood that exists among veterans..the same brotherhood that exists among firefighters, and any job where you bond with your brothers or sisters in life or death situations and end up becoming a second family.

Do I think that I deserve preference over someone who sat at home, went out and partied, and who "prepared" for the job for 7 years? yes, kinda. This is not an entitlement..this is sort of an investment like when you put money away in a 401k for 30 years and cash it in and have hundreds of thousands of dollars saved up..where as the other retired person complains about social security not paying the bills. Why should he be entitled to all that extra money? or, the guy who chooses not to get the best health insurance policy and then complains when he needs a surgery costing 100,000 dollars and is in debt for the rest of his life because he chose to go on vacations, and buy nice things or play keep up with the jones'. This is sort of like, the millions of people who bought houses that were WAY outside of the living they were earning, and then complained when their homes went into foreclosure because they couldn't pay the mortgage..because they couldn't save money for a rainy day because ALL there extra money went towards the house they didn't need..

Life is filled with choices, I, along with many others on here chose to enlist in the military and go overseas, I chose an MOS that didn't give me any real world job skills, so therefore, I'm having a hard time finding a decent career...that is my choice, no one else's. You may have prepared for this job for 7 years by working out, studying the P.F.D., by taking EMT maybe, or even fire-related courses and volunteering at your local fire house. So have I. I also prepared myself for having to work in a paramilitary field, with a chain of command, rank structure..knowing that as a probie I'll be a nobody who will have to live in the sink doing dishes, be the butt of jokes, doing the dirty work that needs to get done..and you know what? I'll do it with a smile on my face. Will you? or will you complain because you had to clean the bathroom 3 days in a row, it is someone else's turn? Will you complain to the commissioner when you don't get you dream assignment, or when you want to be assigned to a truck or an engine but actually you get assigned to the opposite? Will you talk back when someone tells you the coffee isn't hot enough? Will you complain when you have to run a shift on an ambulance and miss a good working fire? The pattern here is that there's a few people on here who complain about Vets this Vets that..blah blah blah...are you going to complain in the academy when you have to go on your birthday? or a holiday, or when you and your buddies want to go to the shore and pick up girls? or will you keep your mouth shut and do what your told, or take initiative and do things that need to get done even if they aren't as flashy as kicking in a door and saving a baby or bringing someone back from a cardiac arrest? I think I know what you will do...and so do a lot of the other guys on here, and that is why people jump on your case.

For your information, Goosh..I NEVER expected to be considered for a class until next year, if at all..but, I got blessed with an opportunity..and honestly, I still don't think that I'll make it so that means more room for you. But, if by some stroke of good luck and if all the planets align and I do make these classes the only way I'm going to fail is if I die, and that is ok..I've risked my life for a lot less. Someone will have to carry me out in a bag before I quit on anything. So, with that being said I am done ranting about this crap..if I make it in September,great..If I don't won't be the end of the world, at least I'm alive and maybe I'll get into a later class. Good luck, Bro.
    WhatNow and Big wil like this.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by emt-pack_mule View Post
    Serious question, esp. for any out of state people. I know you have 6 months to move into the city after you are hired, but what about any valid PA drivers license at time of appointment? I have actually gotten two different answers from personnel, one person saying you need a PA license by starting date, the other saying you can have an out of state license as long as you move to the city and change it within 6 months.

99.9% sure you have 6 months.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BigGriffC12 View Post
    Some people fail to realize the brotherhood that exists among veterans..the same brotherhood that exists among firefighters, and any job where you bond with your brothers or sisters in life or death situations and end up becoming a second family.

Do I think that I deserve preference over someone who sat at home, went out and partied, and who "prepared" for the job for 7 years? yes, kinda. This is not an entitlement..this is sort of an investment like when you put money away in a 401k for 30 years and cash it in and have hundreds of thousands of dollars saved up..where as the other retired person complains about social security not paying the bills. Why should he be entitled to all that extra money? or, the guy who chooses not to get the best health insurance policy and then complains when he needs a surgery costing 100,000 dollars and is in debt for the rest of his life because he chose to go on vacations, and buy nice things or play keep up with the jones'. This is sort of like, the millions of people who bought houses that were WAY outside of the living they were earning, and then complained when their homes went into foreclosure because they couldn't pay the mortgage..because they couldn't save money for a rainy day because ALL there extra money went towards the house they didn't need..

Life is filled with choices, I, along with many others on here chose to enlist in the military and go overseas, I chose an MOS that didn't give me any real world job skills, so therefore, I'm having a hard time finding a decent career...that is my choice, no one else's. You may have prepared for this job for 7 years by working out, studying the P.F.D., by taking EMT maybe, or even fire-related courses and volunteering at your local fire house. So have I. I also prepared myself for having to work in a paramilitary field, with a chain of command, rank structure..knowing that as a probie I'll be a nobody who will have to live in the sink doing dishes, be the butt of jokes, doing the dirty work that needs to get done..and you know what? I'll do it with a smile on my face. Will you? or will you complain because you had to clean the bathroom 3 days in a row, it is someone else's turn? Will you complain to the commissioner when you don't get you dream assignment, or when you want to be assigned to a truck or an engine but actually you get assigned to the opposite? Will you talk back when someone tells you the coffee isn't hot enough? Will you complain when you have to run a shift on an ambulance and miss a good working fire? The pattern here is that there's a few people on here who complain about Vets this Vets that..blah blah blah...are you going to complain in the academy when you have to go on your birthday? or a holiday, or when you and your buddies want to go to the shore and pick up girls? or will you keep your mouth shut and do what your told, or take initiative and do things that need to get done even if they aren't as flashy as kicking in a door and saving a baby or bringing someone back from a cardiac arrest? I think I know what you will do...and so do a lot of the other guys on here, and that is why people jump on your case.

For your information, Goosh..I NEVER expected to be considered for a class until next year, if at all..but, I got blessed with an opportunity..and honestly, I still don't think that I'll make it so that means more room for you. But, if by some stroke of good luck and if all the planets align and I do make these classes the only way I'm going to fail is if I die, and that is ok..I've risked my life for a lot less. Someone will have to carry me out in a bag before I quit on anything. So, with that being said I am done ranting about this crap..if I make it in September,great..If I don't won't be the end of the world, at least I'm alive and maybe I'll get into a later class. Good luck, Bro.
    Oh, so just because I wasn't overseas, I sat at home and partied and did nothing, eh Griff. You don't know me, Griff. You don't know what I've been through in my life. Ever consider the fact that I might not have even had the luxury to choose whether or not I could join the military? You don't know what I've been through, or had to overcome. You think because you went overseas you're entitled to the world, well, you said it yourself---you CHOSE to do that. No one made you. So no one owes you! Do I think vets should get some sort preference? Yes. But not the whole enchilada, no.

You think only vets know how to follow the chain of command, or won't quit when things don't go their way??? Then you're flat-out clueless. You think Im going to complain and whine if I get this opportunity?? You got another thing coming... bro. I hope to god we end up in the same class, then we'll see who the bitch is... Don't pretend like you know what kind of person I am because I was not in the military. Try having to go to work when you're still in high school so you can take care of your family, and working ever since, and not having any opportunities at all... Ive been around death too. You think because I was not in the military I had it easy??? Don't categorize me! You don't know me, Griff! I took the same test as everyone else. I ranked higher than a lot of guys who have gotten conditionals. I deserve it as much as anyone else!

That said, a sincere good luck to you, too.
    4horsepwr likes this.

Forum Member

Alright hippies knock off the grab-assing ... If it's not important to the process, nobody cares ... I have a migraine from this forum ... Now when someone is looking for info in the future, they have to scroll through 10 pages of BS ... Take your fights elsewhere please for everyone's sake ... Thank you
    unbroken136 likes this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by deadbear271 View Post
    Alright hippies knock off the grab-assing ... If it's not important to the process, nobody cares ... I have a migraine from this forum ... Now when someone is looking for info in the future, they have to scroll through 10 pages of BS ... Take your fights elsewhere please for everyone's sake ... Thank you
    This guy..lol

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by GOOSH! View Post
    Yep. You got me there.

If you pay attention, I'm not talking about advantages on the exams; I'm talking about vets getting HIRED first, without question, regardless of there mental, physical and emotional capabilities, and rank on the list. I would imagine, if I were on the job, I would not want some fat slob who can barely pass a civil service exam to be the guy I have to trust my life with... And this of course is not all vets, regardless of rank. All I am saying is a list is a list is a list!

Done.
    Deadbear -- I definitely agree but man as a Vet I take offense to this comment above-and thats what got me fired up-because as he stated Griff doesn't know who he is -- well how can he label a group of guys that he doesn't know-I didnt see any slobs-and thats it-NOW back to the regular progam.
    I have my medical coming up. has anyone done there medical yet on here-and if so what is it like?
    Last edited by Big wil; 08-07-2012 at 03:18 PM. Reason: missed a word

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Big wil View Post
    Deadbear -- I definitely agree but man as a Vet I take offense to this comment above-and thats what got me fired up-because as he stated Griff doesn't know who he is -- well how can he label a group of guys that he doesn't know-I didnt see any slobs-and thats it-NOW back to the regular progam.
    I have my medical coming up. has anyone done there medical yet on here-and if so what is like?
    It seems to me that a lot of people have become real hush hush after their interviews..I don't know.

I can only assume vision,hearing,EKG,chest X ray,vitals,blood work,urine, and hair folical testing (for drugs) and a PPD skin test. (for tuberculosis).

Since we are on the topic..has anyone filled out their infectious control booklets yet? I don't have any records of my shots..I can guess but a lot I haven't gotten, or might be out dated. If you don't have records of any, do you just get in a line, roll your sleeve up and become a pincushion?

I'm sure 1 of the guys on the job can give more details about the medical.

Forum Member

99.9% sure? haha

Banned

For anyone that has already taken the medical:

I'm scheduled to go next week.....

I'm two (2) pounds off my target weight according to the chart we were given at orientation. Has anyone been scrutinized by 19th and Fairmount due to weight?

(And yes i've been working out since orientation so don't ask....)

MembersZone Subscriber

99.9% sure? haha
    Yes. the .01% is in case things have changed since my interview.

Forum Member

Do vets get 10 points added to the medical exam? Hahaha just kidding ... I know its a sore subject but I wanted to lighten the mood ... Hippies
    unbroken136 and Big wil like this.

Forum Member

I've been trying to find someone who has been thru the process-there really hasn't been a clear answer to how hard they hit you in the physical..I'm ten lbs off of my requirement - with 1.5 week to go so keep working it...

Forum Member

You guys are really a bunch of nervous nellies....

If you do not live in the State of Pennsylvania, how do you expect them to issue you a driver's license? You must move to PA first, then get the license. If fact, you are REQUIRED to surrender your out of state license and obtain a PA license within 60 days of establishing residency.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by NorfPhilly View Post

I'm two (2) pounds off my target weight according to the chart we were given at orientation. Has anyone been scrutinized by 19th and Fairmount due to weight?

You could literally fast for two days and not have a problem making weight.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by NorfPhilly View Post

Unless I heard wrong, I believe at orientation HR said it was the second number we had to worry about----large frame + 20%. Perhaps someone can confirm this?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by unbroken136 View Post
    Unless I heard wrong, I believe at orientation HR said it was the second number we had to worry about----large frame + 20%. Perhaps someone can confirm this?
    Yes..the 1st number is the "ideal" weight..the 2nd number is the max..

Forum Member

Quick question for anyone..at orientation the HR woman said everything had to be done by august 17th..but my medical is a few days after that. And, the letter said that the dates for the class weren't determined yet...does that mean that everyone who is scheduled after the 17th like a backup for the classes? or is everyone who went to orientation still being considered for these 2 classes?

Banned

5' 10" 204lbs....been working out every single day....I don't know if I'm considered large frame or not based on their standards. I guess they want me to weigh what I weighed in 9th grade, around 180lbs....phewwww!

I think height and weight standards are bullshi$. I passed all the physical fitness standards for the government, and they didn't even have a chart depicting height/weight.

My dad went through the PSP academy in the 80's. Passed every physical agility standard with flying colors but wouldn't hire him because he was 5lbs over their "required number"

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FireFuss View Post
    That goofy height/weight scale they give you is nonsense. It's at the doctors discretion. I am just over 6'2" and I weighed about 240 when I had my physical. If you're over that +20% list for your height but are obviously in shape, the doc wont say a word about it....

remember, muscle weights more than fat.... at least thats what I keep telling MYself!
    I hope "obviously in shape" doesn't translate into "looking like Micheal Phelps". but I don't think they can take it that seriously..at the admin building I've seen a few FF's who weren't abiding by the weight chart..and I'm sure there's some old timers or someone in a real slow station who probably doesn't conform to the weight standard. or some meat heads who look like amateur bodybuilders.

Thread Information