Like Tree365Likes

Thread: Philadelphia 2011

  1. #1326
    Forum Member
    Jonnee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    1,256

    Red face

    When you guys are getting the medical physical and the doctor goes to check you're prostrate, be sure that is his finger what he is using. I've seen doctors who had extra large fingers during my time in the fire service. Not only does it hurt but it will be several days before you can be regular once again.

    The women doctors are rougher than the men doctors. It is like they are paying you back for something.

    On a happy note, good luck to those who are progressing and will be at the academy. Be sure you pay very close attention to the instructors, as they don't like to repeat their selves.

  2. #1327
    Forum Member
    Jonnee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    1,256

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BigGriffC12 View Post
    I hope "obviously in shape" doesn't translate into "looking like Micheal Phelps". but I don't think they can take it that seriously..at the admin building I've seen a few FF's who weren't abiding by the weight chart..and I'm sure there's some old timers or someone in a real slow station who probably doesn't conform to the weight standard. or some meat heads who look like amateur bodybuilders.

    Those "oldtimers" as you say will have a field day with you skippy, IF you get through the academy and get assigned to the field. Another 10 year Rookie.

  3. #1328
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Poconos, Pa
    Posts
    796

    Default

    .................
    Last edited by BigGriffC12; 08-08-2012 at 05:22 PM. Reason: waste of time.

  4. #1329
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Poconos, Pa
    Posts
    796

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jonnee View Post
    Those "oldtimers" as you say will have a field day with you skippy, IF you get through the academy and get assigned to the field. Another 10 year Rookie.
    Ok, Skippy. Thanks for the informative post regarding the current discussion.

  5. #1330
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Poconos, Pa
    Posts
    796

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FireFuss View Post
    Thankfully, they don't do that. There is an age cap of 39 (unless you test before your 39th b-day and are eligible for hire after you turn 40.... semantics) and doctors usually start prostate exams when you turn 40....

    Now, maybe you could tell us all what a "prostrate" check is.... is that where the doctor makes sure you can lay down flat on your stomach or something?
    Fuss, he brought it up because he didn't get his monthly check up, and it is making him so upset that he's putting his business out there in public going fishing hopefully looking to catch something..

    Skippy is a code word for "It Gives the prostate check or it gets the hose"

  6. #1331
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    62

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BigGriffC12 View Post
    Quick question for anyone..at orientation the HR woman said everything had to be done by august 17th..but my medical is a few days after that. And, the letter said that the dates for the class weren't determined yet...does that mean that everyone who is scheduled after the 17th like a backup for the classes? or is everyone who went to orientation still being considered for these 2 classes?
    Did personnel mention anything at all during your interview about where you might stand as far as the first two classes go?

  7. #1332
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Poconos, Pa
    Posts
    796

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by unbroken136 View Post
    Did personnel mention anything at all during your interview about where you might stand as far as the first two classes go?
    I asked the woman interviewing me..I asked along the lines of " how many people are still in the process" all she said was they are currently interviewing approx 80-90 vets for 1 class, and there may be another.

    While the other woman conducting interviews said there were 2 classes (as we all already know) Sept. 10,14th..

    She didn't even give me the dates..not very helpful.

    This, to me, could mean 1 of 2 things..

    1. your being considered for the first and 2nd classes b/c of your vet status..

    or

    2. I don't want to tell you anything because I really don't know and don't want to spread rumors.
    Last edited by BigGriffC12; 08-08-2012 at 07:16 PM. Reason: add to post

  8. #1333
    Forum Member
    CaptOldTimer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 1999
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    7,269

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BigGriffC12 View Post
    Ok, Skippy. Thanks for the informative post regarding the current discussion.


    Hero? Maybe so during his 35 plus years. He is a retired deputy chief from a major fd inside the beltway and was the chief of training at one time for that department. He probably knew some of the folks at Philly and knows what he is saying. A respectable member of the fire service.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

    Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

  9. #1334
    Forum Member
    FWDbuff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Pee-Ayy!
    Posts
    7,420

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BigGriffC12 View Post
    I hope "obviously in shape" doesn't translate into "looking like Micheal Phelps". but I don't think they can take it that seriously..at the admin building I've seen a few FF's who weren't abiding by the weight chart..and I'm sure there's some old timers or someone in a real slow station who probably doesn't conform to the weight standard. or some meat heads who look like amateur bodybuilders.
    There is a difference between you and them though......They are already on the job and dont HAVE to conform to the hiring requirements.......just sayin'......
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

  10. #1335
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Poconos, Pa
    Posts
    796

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff View Post
    There is a difference between you and them though......They are already on the job and dont HAVE to conform to the hiring requirements.......just sayin'......
    I understand your point. no issues.

  11. #1336
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Poconos, Pa
    Posts
    796

    Default

    http://pafirenews.net/messageboard/i...?topic=7946.45

    If you look on the last page it says there up to number 260..to get 160. Trying to make sense with norfphilly...if anyone has any ideas..or just a little FYI.

  12. #1337
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    237

    Default

    Except all vets got bumped up so now your rank is different ... so rank 200 might be 300 now ... if thats how theyre doing it

  13. #1338
    Banned

    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    128

    Default

    The majority of the vets were in the top 100. Not a whole lot of guys further down the list but there def are some (a couple post on here). There list will get revamped after all of the interviews are completed (tomorrow is the last day), and some failed to show. So guys could move up that are non-vet as well

  14. #1339
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Poconos, Pa
    Posts
    796

    Default

    did someone say a way back that like 135 vets were invited to orientation? just wondering if I heard that number wrong or if I was right.

  15. #1340
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Poconos, Pa
    Posts
    796

    Default

    I really wish someone knew how many people of the 360 that were invited to orientation are still in the process..vets/non-vets.

  16. #1341
    Banned

    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    128

    Default

    How will the city's take on the arbitration award affect the upcoming classes? There are talks of closing an engine and ladder company, with additional down sizing to be considered as well....

    If this talk is true, will the academy classes even be processsed? I hope to god that they are, but I don't want to see the rug pulled out from under 160 new candidates. Especially considering the department is already short, and there are tons of guys in the DROP

  17. #1342
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Poconos, Pa
    Posts
    796

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NorfPhilly View Post
    How will the city's take on the arbitration award affect the upcoming classes? There are talks of closing an engine and ladder company, with additional down sizing to be considered as well....

    If this talk is true, will the academy classes even be processsed? I hope to god that they are, but I don't want to see the rug pulled out from under 160 new candidates. Especially considering the department is already short, and there are tons of guys in the DROP
    That is a good question, I was actually about to ask it myself. The other forum that I follow, some of the guys on there can't understand why the class(s) will be put through if they want to lay off like 100 guys? and close houses...

    The article I read says that the likely hood of the 5 year plan will not pass so I'm not shaking in my boots over it, but still, its scary to think that some of us might either make it alll the way through processing and then not get hired..or get hired, move our lives to the city, and then get laid off when that "funding to hire vets" runs dry and they have too many people to pay and not enough money to do it with..

    Why doesn't the city apply for SAFER grants? it seems like every other city is getting millions of dollars in grant money to pay for manpower?

    I'm hoping someone on the job can give us some better insight..I really don't understand this at all other then reading the article.

    This is really, really scary..being this close and seeing how it might not come through.
    Last edited by BigGriffC12; 08-11-2012 at 05:47 PM. Reason: added to post

  18. #1343
    Forum Member
    FWDbuff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Pee-Ayy!
    Posts
    7,420

    Default

    IF and thats a BIG IF any of these layoffs happen, IMO it will be through attrition. There are enough guys waiting to get out now via DROP (not to mention the currently vacant spots) that I honestly think you guys waiting to get in the door dont have anything to worry about. The Mayor is like a little child right now- he is so ****ed off and such a whiney little bitchy girl that he will say just about anything in order to get his way, or to scare the schit out of people (to get his way.) I dont think you have anything to worry about.
    mrpita and unbroken136 like this.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

  19. #1344
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Poconos, Pa
    Posts
    796

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff View Post
    IF and thats a BIG IF any of these layoffs happen, IMO it will be through attrition. There are enough guys waiting to get out now via DROP (not to mention the currently vacant spots) that I honestly think you guys waiting to get in the door dont have anything to worry about. The Mayor is like a little child right now- he is so ****ed off and such a whiney little bitchy girl that he will say just about anything in order to get his way, or to scare the schit out of people (to get his way.) I dont think you have anything to worry about.
    Can you define "DROP" I've seen that a lot lately..

  20. #1345
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    20

    Default Quick question about the physical

    Hey,
    Quick question about the physical. When I had my meeting with HR the very helpful woman mentioned something about a TB test. I think she said that you need to come back in 2-3 days to have your test results read (skin test). She said if you live out of the area you can bring test results from within a year.
    I don't have results from within a year and won't be able to obtain them before the physical.
    Looking through the infection control booklet, it looks like you can decline the TB test.

    Does anyone who's had the physical know anything about this?

    If I have to drive the 3-4 hours back to philly I'll certainly do it but it'd be nice not to have to. I tried to call the number on the booklet and the voicemail box is full.

    THANKS.
    Last edited by Getmeouttahere; 08-13-2012 at 01:08 PM. Reason: spelling

  21. #1346
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Poconos, Pa
    Posts
    796

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Getmeouttahere View Post
    Hey,
    Quick question about the physical. When I had my meeting with HR the very helpful woman mentioned something about a TB test. I think she said that you need to come back in 2-3 days to have your test results read (skin test). She said if you live out of the area you can bring test results from within a year.
    I don't have results from within a year and won't be able to obtain them before the physical.
    Looking through the infection control booklet, it looks like you can decline the TB test.

    Does anyone who's had the physical know anything about this?

    If I have to drive the 3-4 hours back to philly I'll certainly do it but it'd be nice not to have to. I tried to call the number on the booklet and the voicemail box is full.

    THANKS.
    I think we're in the same boat..I got the TB test after each deployment (3) never tested positive and my last TB test was late 2009. I'm under the impression that if you decline something then that may hold you back from being hired? I don't know. Personally, like yourself, I'd rather drive an extra time or 2 for the job then decline and get passed over.

    I had a question also..if you can't recall shot dates does that mean that you need to get everything listed? because honestly, I don't know half of my shot dates and don't know if I can get them/find them. I was going to call but since the voice mail box is full...doesn't make me feel confident at all..

  22. #1347
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    62

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Getmeouttahere View Post
    Hey,
    Quick question about the physical. When I had my meeting with HR the very helpful woman mentioned something about a TB test. I think she said that you need to come back in 2-3 days to have your test results read (skin test). She said if you live out of the area you can bring test results from within a year.
    I don't have results from within a year and won't be able to obtain them before the physical.
    Looking through the infection control booklet, it looks like you can decline the TB test.

    Does anyone who's had the physical know anything about this?

    If I have to drive the 3-4 hours back to philly I'll certainly do it but it'd be nice not to have to. I tried to call the number on the booklet and the voicemail box is full.

    THANKS.
    Another option: get the TB test down in Philly, then make an appointment 3 days later with your family doctor. The doctor or RN can read the test and fax back to 19th and fairmount. This is what I was suggested. In fact, I had my medical on Friday and I'm sitting in my docs waiting room as I write this. And I'm going to have them fax it out soon as I'm finished. Ask them about it when you take your medical.

  23. #1348
    Temporarily Inactive

    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    26

    Default

    Anybody know any numbers. Like how many failed to make it to orientation, how many failed to get the booklet in on time, how many failed background check, how many did not show up to interviews, or failed to show up to medical ?.....just trying to figure out how I'm looking. Ranked 1230 but I'm a vet. And medical on the 22.

  24. #1349
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Poconos, Pa
    Posts
    796

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by choadload View Post
    Anybody know any numbers. Like how many failed to make it to orientation, how many failed to get the booklet in on time, how many failed background check, how many did not show up to interviews, or failed to show up to medical ?.....just trying to figure out how I'm looking. Ranked 1230 but I'm a vet. And medical on the 22.
    I've been trying to get the same info, I guess they don't make that kind of number known..I know on my orientation date there was 2-3 empty seats in my area of the room, didn't look around too hard but figured a couple more no-shows, and someone mentioned that the 29th orientation had a few no shows and late shows who got booted..

    If your looking for more info, check out Phillyfirenews.com they have a forum thread dedicated to these 2 classes..maybe someone might post something on there too...can't hurt to look.

    Btw..did you interview Aug 1st in the morning?

  25. #1350
    Temporarily Inactive

    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    26

    Default

    Yeah Aug 1st....I called hr and asked them if medical being after the 17 meant anything and she said no .

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. World Of Fire Report: 12-11-05
    By PaulBrown in forum World of Fire Daily Report
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-17-2005, 08:23 PM
  2. World Of Fire Report: 11-30-05
    By PaulBrown in forum World of Fire Daily Report
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-02-2005, 10:49 PM
  3. World Of Fire Report: 11-23-05
    By PaulBrown in forum World of Fire Daily Report
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-24-2005, 09:04 AM
  4. World Of Fire Report: 11-17-05
    By PaulBrown in forum World of Fire Daily Report
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-18-2005, 07:57 PM
  5. World Of Fire Report: 11-12-05
    By PaulBrown in forum World of Fire Daily Report
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-14-2005, 08:22 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Log in

Click here to log in or register