Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 55 of 134 FirstFirst ... 5455253545556575865105 ... LastLast
Results 1,081 to 1,100 of 2663
Like Tree365Likes

Thread: Philadelphia 2011

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by GOOSH! View Post
    Also, is this the interview with the Fire Officers, or with Personnel?

Thanks again
    Not sure. Might be with both, Battalion Chiefs and someone from Personnel.

Forum Member

Is this solid info? did you get your letter?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by GOOSH! View Post
    Also, is this the interview with the Fire Officers, or with Personnel?
    Both, and possibly the regional EMS coordinator if they still do that.

Advice:
    - Show up early
    - Wear a suit, NO uniforms
    - Yes ma'am, Yes sir. No "yeah"
    - Cell phone on silent or left in the car.
    - If you do bring your phone with you, leave it in your pocket.
    - Use the restroom prior to your appointment time, not when you're ready to get called.
    - Engage in friendly conversation with your fellow candidates....in a low tone, avoid being a know-it-all, and no rumor milling.
    - Speak confidently, clearly, and deliberately. Don't say um, uh, ahh, etc. It's better to say nothing and form a coherent response than bumble your way thru one.

Will not doing any of that get you DQ'd? No. But it may irritate somebody. If the interviewer is borderline about gigging you for something, it's better to not **** them off. It's all common sense.

Good Luck!!
    unbroken136 likes this.

Forum Member

Do the interviewers use the typical "why do you want to be a firefighter?, why should we hire you?, what can you bring to us? type questions or will they know a little about us before we go in there? like will they have a packet on us they ask questions tailored to us individually?

Basically,what is the interview scenario like? only reason why I ask is, I tend to stutter a tad when I get really nervous, and talking to the chief of 1 of the biggest fire depts in the country is more then enough reason to make me nervous..just trying to prepare myself as best as possible.

Thanks guys.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BigGriffC12 View Post
    Do the interviewers use the typical "why do you want to be a firefighter?, why should we hire you?, what can you bring to us? type questions or will they know a little about us before we go in there? like will they have a packet on us they ask questions tailored to us individually?

Basically,what is the interview scenario like? only reason why I ask is, I tend to stutter a tad when I get really nervous, and talking to the chief of 1 of the biggest fire depts in the country is more then enough reason to make me nervous..just trying to prepare myself as best as possible.

Thanks guys.
    The interview with the chiefs will be the generic "Why do you want to be a firefighter?" deal. Prepare ahead of time with some non-standard answers. Remember, they have to listen to a couple hundred candidates. How many times do you think they'll hear "I've always wanted to be a firefighter. I want to help people." Come up with something different. If you've done community service (Not as punishment, but volunteer work) then mention it. Focus on community, teamwork, and being a positive role model. As far as being nervous...suck it up. These are two guys who started out as cadets just like you and still put their pants on one leg at a time. Don't put them on a pedestal. Respect their experience and career accomplishments? Absolutely, but don't act as if you're in the presence of some omnipotent greatness. You want to be a firefighter. Your attitude should be complete self-confidence (Not to be confused with cockyness). If you are unsure of yourself, how can the public and/or those in need feel confident in you?

The interview with HR Personnel will be more "tailored." They will review your PDQ page by page and scrutinize any discrepancies or flaws. If there is something you need to explain, you will have your chance at this time.
    unbroken136 likes this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Fixxer View Post
    There will be a urinalysis as well as a hair sample. And for all you people who are going to say that you're bald...you're not completely hairless...they will find a hair sample.

As for answering the drug questions... I don't see any problem with being honest while admitting that you tried weed or something. If you were a heroin addict, don't turn your book in.
    I haven't been on here in a while this is one of the reasons why ^^ a "hair sample" REALLY? come on guys use some common sense,do you really think the city can afford that or has ppl smart enough to do it.

As for the class I heard from a good source at the academy that the classes slated the first two weeks of Sept.
    Now for the interview if if you need to be told how to dress and behave while there just don't go. For those you can figure that out you will be interviewed by chief's or Capt. depending on who the PFD picks for that day then you will go and meet with someone (non-uniform) to go over things that were flaged on your booklett. One word of advice that I was told as were ppl before me when asked why you want this job make sure your #1 reason is "To help ppl" then whatever B.S. you want to spew. Also don't get to long winded keep it simple you will only end up hurting yourself the longer you take. And finally for the end of my rant just don't be an A--hol- and you will be fine.
    JonBomb6 likes this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by philly10 View Post
    I haven't been on here in a while this is one of the reasons why ^^ a "hair sample" REALLY? come on guys use some common sense,do you really think the city can afford that or has ppl smart enough to do it.

Ok Philly10, let's clarify something. When I had my medical examination, a member the Philadelphia Police Department cut sample hairs from multiple places on my head. She jokingly gave me a hard time since I always have a high & tight cut, but said they can use any hair if need be. I was told the specific purpose of the hair sample was for long range drug testing...I'm not in forensics, so exactly how long I don't know.

With that said, there's 1 possible answer to what happened:

1. Some woman lied to me and stole my hair.
    2. I fabricated a story and hiring process procedure for no reason.
    3. You haven't gone through the process before and you don't know what you're talking about.

I know the correct answer.

PS. If you use "common sense," then you would conclude that given the number of testees (City-wide for all jobs and promotions) and the need to avoid lawsuits, all drug screening is done by an independent 3rd party (ie. GlaxoSmithKline). Your comment about the City not having smart enough people just shows your level of ignorance and/or immaturity.
    Last edited by Fixxer; 06-26-2012 at 12:53 PM.

Forum Member

Has anyone gotten a letter for interview dates yet?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Fixxer View Post
    Ok Philly10, let's clarify something. When I had my medical examination, a member the Philadelphia Police Department cut sample hairs from multiple places on my head. She jokingly gave me a hard time since I always have a high & tight cut, but said they can use any hair if need be. I was told the specific purpose of the hair sample was for long range drug testing...I'm not in forensics, so exactly how long I don't know.

With that said, there's 1 possible answer to what happened:

1. Some woman lied to me and stole my hair.
    2. I fabricated a story and hiring process procedure for no reason.
    3. You haven't gone through the process before and you don't know what you're talking about.

I know the correct answer.

PS. If you use "common sense," then you would conclude that given the number of testees (City-wide for all jobs and promotions) and the need to avoid lawsuits, all drug screening is done by an independent 3rd party (ie. GlaxoSmithKline). Your comment about the City not having smart enough people just shows your level of ignorance and/or immaturity.
    Ok lets clarify you lil D-bag I am on the job and have been for some time unlike you, so yes my knowledge of the process is better then yours also if you were dumb enough to let somone especially a member of the PPD cut your hair and not a nurse or doctor from 19th and Fairmount then you are a tard and shouldn't be on the job. Also if you knew anything that is were your **** test and physical takes place along with your blood work and TB shot. It's losers like you that think they know what they are talking about that put bad info out for guys who could actually use real information.And as for my "ignorance or immaturity" you haven't the faintest idea of how the city works so before you continue to show your ignorance you should find out how things really work here

Forum Member

Keep it up.....pure entertainment this board is.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by philly10 View Post
    Ok lets clarify you lil D-bag I am on the job and have been for some time unlike you, so yes my knowledge of the process is better then yours also if you were dumb enough to let somone especially a member of the PPD cut your hair and not a nurse or doctor from 19th and Fairmount then you are a tard and shouldn't be on the job. Also if you knew anything that is were your **** test and physical takes place along with your blood work and TB shot. It's losers like you that think they know what they are talking about that put bad info out for guys who could actually use real information.And as for my "ignorance or immaturity" you haven't the faintest idea of how the city works so before you continue to show your ignorance you should find out how things really work here
    Wow, such a chest-beating angry man. I see it is consistent with your previous posts though. Where exactly did I say that the hair test wasn't at 19th & Fairmount? Oh right, you're making an assumption. Well, it was taken there. Specifically, after you walk past the nurse's desk, you must turn left or right. To the right is the bathroom and changing room. The woman who took the hair sample was to the left in the corner office. So yes, I have real information, and have not given anyone bad information. I also am man enough and self-confident to admit when I'm wrong. Apparently I misjudged that you were on the job and assumed that weren't. Since you have apparently been on the job "for some time" you should be aware then that blood and **** tests are completed by a 3rd party, not City personnel. Also, as you've been on the job "for some time," perhaps they changed or added some things in the process since you were hired. Who knows, maybe they gave me the PPD battery of tests instead of the PFD by mistake. And of course, they may no longer do that test altogether for whatever reason. All I know for sure is that a hair sample was taken during my medical exam and I wasn't gonna say no.

I'll also stand by my ignorance and immaturity assertions, you just confirmed them. Just because for whatever reason you dispute that I had a hair sample taken, it doesn't mean I'm a "lil D-bag, tard, or loser." As for knowing how things really work here, I have a very well respected family history on the job dating back to 1966, so yes, I know how things work. And, you won't be able to find anyone on the job currently that'll say a bad word about me. Let me know the next time you're working on the D plt. I'll PM you the fire phone number...ask for the man in charge, we'll work it out

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FireFuss View Post
    I was in the 183rd, they took a hair sample from my arm with clippers.

Guess there's a hair thief running a muck in Philly Fixxer!!!
    Must be a conspiracy!!

Forum Member

Soooooooooo ... any letters?

Forum Member

I'm guessing we will get letters on Friday..and have to show up on Monday..oh joy. Unless the 2nd is just a rumor..does not seem logical to me since no one here has gotten a letter yet and the interviews start in 6 days.

Forum Member

My interview was exactly 2 weeks after my orientation date, so short notice wouldn't be a new thing...

You guys will develope ulcers or a heart condiction before you get hired, if you do.

Stop the worrying. It it is meant to be, you'll get a job.

If not, move on. You should have applications in a other fd's and not only at one.

Phiily is a great department and should you get hired, you'll be proud. Not everyone makes it through the academy. Plus not everyone makes in the fire house during your probation.

This job is tough to say the least. Not everyone is cut out for it.

The Fourth is July is coming. I wouldn't be looking for anything until after the Fourth. Too many folks take a vacation this time a year. They aren't in any rush, don't expect them to ne!
    JonBomb6 likes this.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Forum Member

"I'm guessing we will get letters on Friday..and have to show up on Monday..oh joy. Unless the 2nd is just a rumor..does not seem logical to me since no one here has gotten a letter yet and the interviews start in 6 days."

I got my letter last wednesday and interview is on the July 3rd. My buddy got his also and his interview is on the 18th.

Forum Member

.............................. .............................. .............................. ...
    Last edited by JonBomb6; 04-28-2013 at 12:00 AM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by JonBomb6 View Post
    How low were you ranked?? I'm in the 200's and I did not get a letter.
    I'm guessing that maybe it has something to do with when we turned our booklets in. I got mine in kind of late (the 12th) maybe this guy got his in like June 2nd or 3rd..say it takes 2 weeks for the background to be completed he got his last week makes sense to me..I would like to say that all the letters would be out by the time interviews start..I hope.

Good luck.

Forum Member

Here come the ulcers and heart conditions
    JonBomb6 and GOOSH! like this.

Thread Information