Like Tree365Likes

Thread: Philadelphia 2011

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by GOOSH! View Post
    Negative, NorfPhilly.
    Ok, I know a couple guys in the top 30 that had to defer. It should help some people down the list...

Quote Originally Posted by the shadow View Post
    I am actually curious as to how many they are actually interviewing. I was under the impression that if you filled out the packet truthfully and had all the documents in order that you would get an interview.
    Well there are 160 slots, and if they are going by the 3:1 ratio that HR normally needs.... So if that holds true almost everyone in the orientations SHOULD get interviewed at some point

Forum Member

there was 120 people per orientation..360 people total..I know a few people didn't show up as I saw a handful of empty seats..and someone said earlier, some people deferred so..it would make sense that EVERYONE gets to interview..

But, from what the trend seems to be on here..it looks like non-vets seem to be getting their letters first.
    so the whole hiring vets only idea might not hold water...

Forum Member

I wouldn't be too concerned about who is getting their letters first. Determining who is interviewing when may give some type of indication or show a pattern. If you're outside the city, expect to get your letter a day or so later than others close by. There are lots of possibilities....could be that last batch sent out was after the last mail run for the day, or you could have a lazy mailman that didn't slot all his mail for today and left some for tomorrow. Don't worry about it unless you don't get something by next week. If you don't, I would call and ask about it.
    unbroken136 likes this.

Forum Member

I have a question..the timeline that I got at my orientation was that they planned for an academy class early-mid September..so lets say based on what I've read here that there are interviews scheduled every day in July except the 4th, so what is the normal timeline from interview to medical checkup? lets say my interview is late July..and I get scheduled for my medical check up early/mid august..does that mean that I'm going to get a letter 2 weeks before the academy saying hey you made or hey better luck next time? Only reason I ask is as I've stated before, my current lease is up august 31st..and I would really like to know 1 way or another if I'm in or I'm pushed to a later class next year..trying to keep my wife in the loop as much as possible.

I really wish they did this by email..1 mass email to everyone at once..no confusion or people pulling their hair out checking the mail 400 times a day chasing down the mailman..

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by the shadow View Post
    I am actually curious as to how many they are actually interviewing. I was under the impression that if you filled out the packet truthfully and had all the documents in order that you would get an interview.
    I think you are right, shadow. If you were invited to orientation, you are "entitled" to an interview for just being that high on the list. Even if you have legal troubles, the way Philly does it, I AM PRESUMING, is that they tell you to your face they will not move you forward at the interview/medical/ etc... So, I would PRESUME, everyone will get a letter at some point.
    Last edited by unbroken136; 06-28-2012 at 12:03 AM. Reason: because

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BigGriffC12 View Post
    I have a question..the timeline that I got at my orientation was that they planned for an academy class early-mid September..so lets say based on what I've read here that there are interviews scheduled every day in July except the 4th, so what is the normal timeline from interview to medical checkup? lets say my interview is late July..and I get scheduled for my medical check up early/mid august..does that mean that I'm going to get a letter 2 weeks before the academy saying hey you made or hey better luck next time? Only reason I ask is as I've stated before, my current lease is up august 31st..and I would really like to know 1 way or another if I'm in or I'm pushed to a later class next year..trying to keep my wife in the loop as much as possible.

I really wish they did this by email..1 mass email to everyone at once..no confusion or people pulling their hair out checking the mail 400 times a day chasing down the mailman..
    Dude, seriously, chill out. No amount of questions on here will get you the answer you're looking for. It sucks, but that is the reality of it and you need to accept it. Everyone has special situations and wants to at least know when they'll have an answer...doesn't work that way. You'll get the information when it comes. There is no hard-fast "normal timeline" for this stuff. Hell, it was 6 years between tests this time. But since you asked, here was my timeline: Orientation, then interview 14 days later. Medical 17 days after interview; bunker gear fitting 7 days after medical; Academy started 10 days after receiving final acceptance letter.
    unbroken136 likes this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by unbroken136 View Post
    I think you are right, shadow. If you were invited to orientation, you are "entitled" to an interview for just being that high on the list. Even if you have legal troubles, the way Philly does it, I AM PRESUMING, is that they tell you to your face they will not move you forward at the interview/medical/ etc... So, I would PRESUME, everyone will get a letter at some point.
    This is how the woman from HR made it seem during the orientation. She stated you are entitled to the interview to explain yourself, she also said that it really didn't matter what your excuse was either.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CFD8 View Post
    This is how the woman from HR made it seem during the orientation. She stated you are entitled to the interview to explain yourself, she also said that it really didn't matter what your excuse was either.

Meaning they won't listen to your explanation or they will? That answer can go both ways.

Forum Member

.............................. .............................. .............................. .........
    Last edited by JonBomb6; 05-01-2013 at 01:59 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FireFuss View Post
    Don't expect to be told "YES" or "NO" from anyone at any part of the process.

I had friends who made the interview and were so excited about how great it went, until they never got the letter for the start of the class.

The chiefs interview is for them to look at you. They wont say, "well, you're in!" they'll say thanks for your time and you leave. Same with the medical. The doctor might disqualify you after the first evaluation he does, but he's required to do a complete exam, so you stay for all the rest even when he has failed you already. He ISN'T required however to say if you passed or failed. Actually the city probably tells them to keep that info between the doc and themselves.

Everyone just slow down and think, HOW MANY PEOPLE TOOK THIS TEST? And YOU are moving forward so far.... you have to be in the top, what 3-5% to be where you are now. Take a breath, and move when they say move. Other than that, live your life or the stress of this process will drive you NUTS.

I know, it almost did to me...
    When I had my orientation the HR lady..Karen..said to make sure you ask the doctor if you passed because they're real busy over there..

So worst case scenario..some of us..me..I might go through the whole process and not know 1 way or another until I get called for gear sizing? I would hope if they call you for gear sizing you made the class?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FireFuss View Post
    Take a breath, and move when they say move. Other than that, live your life or the stress of this process will drive you NUTS.

I know, it almost did to me...
    Sage advice for sure, FireFuss. But it might be too late for me. I am already going nuts. This IS my life!

So worst case scenario..some of us..me..I might go through the whole process and not know 1 way or another until I get called for gear sizing? I would hope if they call you for gear sizing you made the class?
    If you've been called for gear sizing, I would think it's for a reason...

Quote Originally Posted by JonBomb6 View Post
    I'm mid 200's non vet no letter yet...keeping fingers crossed for tomorrow. I'm also a resident.
    It will come, JonBomb... You gotta believe!

Forum Member

She told my group to ask the doctor if we passed too

Forum Member

well, no letter. I don't know what's going on. 16 days since my packet was signed for at personnel, are there any veterans that did get a letter? or does anyone know of a veteran who did get a letter? just wondering if its a trend...oh well, better luck tomorrow.

Forum Member

"well, no letter. I don't know what's going on. 16 days since my packet was signed for at personnel, are there any veterans that did get a letter? or does anyone know of a veteran who did get a letter? just wondering if its a trend...oh well, better luck tomorrow."

BigGriffC12-335 posts since Feb 2011 wow!

Dude you still have like another week or two before you need to actually start worrying about not getting your letter. Take the advice of the guys on here that already went though this process and chill out. You freaking out on here every day about your letter is ruining my buzz. Stop making up theory's on way you didnt get your letter, its on its way. Just because vets havent posted on here that they got their letters doesnt mean they havent. Most people who took that test dont even know that this site exists. Relax bro, take a deep breath. To answer your question, YES I'm a VET and I got my letter.
    Old 98 likes this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CFD8 View Post
    Seems like they will make their judgement regardless of your explanation

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by deadbear271 View Post
    She told my group to ask the doctor if we passed too
    I vaguely remember this as well... Do you guys remember why HR stressed this exactly?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by GOOSH! View Post
    I vaguely remember this as well... Do you guys remember why HR stressed this exactly?
    something like..she said the doctors are busy and its important you know because the doctors and HR don't communicate because its like a patient/doctor confidentiality thing.

On another note..the LT giving the briefing about the academy mentioned 2 sets of skills tests..and if you don't pass you fail out of the class..he said don't worry about that much because you have to get into the academy first. Does anyone have any more insight about what he was talking about?

Forum Member

On another note..the LT giving the briefing about the academy mentioned 2 sets of skills tests..and if you don't pass you fail out of the class..he said don't worry about that much because you have to get into the academy first. Does anyone have any more insight about what he was talking about?
    The academy is packed with (probably daily) assessments, both practical and written. Practical assessments will be both individual and in teams, depending on the objective. Even if you are working in a team, you need to know your part, or it puts the entire team in danger of failing. Not only do you need to have the knowledge, but be able to apply it, hands on. No different than what you did in the military during tech school, or whatever you call technical training in your branch. They'll give you everything you need to know, I promise you.

Forum Member

.............................. .............................. .............................. .....
    Last edited by JonBomb6; 05-01-2013 at 01:57 PM.
    the shadow likes this.

Forum Member

JonBomb6, thank you for your post. That really helps a lot. Very much appreciated here and I'm sure by all of us!
    JonBomb6 and deadbear271 like this.

Thread Information