Like Tree365Likes

Thread: Philadelphia 2011

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by dbask View Post
    Does anyone know what is required to be a driver for the pfd. I was told it does not matter if you already have a cdl and I would have to take the pfd test
    There is no seperate "driver" or "apparatus operator" or whatever in the PFD. Everyone drives and everyone rotates into the driver seat. Yes you have to take the PFD test, and you will be rotating through all positions on a regular basis.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

Default Wsi

From the job posting: "The WSI portion of the exam is designed to measure important human relations skills that are necessary for successful job performance. There is no study material for this portion of the test."

I was wondering if anyone has ever taken the WSI, and if you have any insight or advice.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by craigc View Post
    From the job posting: "The WSI portion of the exam is designed to measure important human relations skills that are necessary for successful job performance. There is no study material for this portion of the test."

I was wondering if anyone has ever taken the WSI, and if you have any insight or advice.
    from what i heard there is no "correct" answer to these questions they are left up to the "discretion" (which is never good) of the moderators otherwise this is a new testing process for the city and i have never heard of it

Forum Member

gggggggggggggggg
    Last edited by usellout911; 09-19-2012 at 07:19 PM.

Forum Member

I hear this test is around 100 questions. Can anyone tell me how they are graded. Is it going to ne like a half a point for every wrong answer. Just curious

Forum Member

gggggggggggggggggg
    Last edited by usellout911; 09-19-2012 at 07:19 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by dbask View Post
    I hear this test is around 100 questions. Can anyone tell me how they are graded. Is it going to ne like a half a point for every wrong answer. Just curious
    from what i hear the first part of the testing is just pass fail thats it the city is dumbing down the process as much as possible

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by philly10 View Post
    from what i hear the first part of the testing is just pass fail thats it the city is dumbing down the process as much as possible
    From what I have researched, how it goes with a "combo test" of this type is the first part (study guide) is pass/fail, and then only those who pass Part 1 are placed into bands according to their scores on Part 2, the WSI test, for which there is no study guide. But who knows for sure....

Forum Member

i believe when i took the harrisburg city test, it was a wsi test it was in 4 parts math, mechanical, grammer, and human realtions. not sure but pretty sure it was wsi

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by FireFuss View Post
    THIS test is going to be probably a joke of a study guide relating to the first part. And then a subjective answer 2nd part so the city can pick whomever they wish.
    Scary. Who does the hiring, Philly HR, or the Department?

Forum Member

the department hires and you and fuss are right on the process from what i understand

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by philly10 View Post
    the department hires and you and fuss are right on the process from what i understand
    I could be wrong, but I believe it is up to City HR to test, compile the list, select and notify candidates, run the candidates through the hiring process, retain them if they successfully pass all the hiring processes....Once all this is accomplished, they are then "turned over" to the Fire Department.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

Guys or ladies,

Can someone please help me with a quick question?

I know the test is scheduled for the week of November 14th, but I was just wondering if anyone had any details/ideas on when they will bring in the first class after the test?

If I remember correctly, my buddy waited 3 years from the time he took the test to the time he was brought in for a class. If that is true, hopefully that is not the case for this go around.

(sorry if this question was previously answered in a previous post)

Thanks,
    John

Forum Member

Default Study Guide(Please answer)

Hello Everyone,

Does anyone know when they are sending out the study books?

Forum Member

you never really know when a class will be brought in but in june (i think) of 2013 there is about 130 or so guys going out in that month alone so they will have to get a class in before that you would think. And the test booklet useally goes out some time about two weeks or so before the test

Forum Member

Anybody know what the comprehensive medical examination entails?
    Last edited by Stogie81; 09-26-2011 at 11:18 AM.

Forum Member

How long was the testing process from last time? Meaning roughly how long was it from test date to publishing the list?

While I'm here, what is involved in the process prior to the list being published? (test, CPAT, interviews, etc.)

Thanks!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by owens13 View Post
    Guys or ladies,

I know the test is scheduled for the week of November 14th, but I was just wondering if anyone had any details/ideas on when they will bring in the first class after the test?

If I remember correctly, my buddy waited 3 years from the time he took the test to the time he was brought in for a class. If that is true, hopefully that is not the case for this go around.
    Well, I believe that would depend on departmental needs AND how well you score. If your buddy waited three years, then he didn't do so well. I would say that the earliest a class would start is about 6 months after the test. That is incredibly fast considering all that needs to take place. The first class off the last list started 5 1/2 months after the test with the second class two months later. They ran concurrently for 2 months until the first class graduated.

As far as departmental needs, they will definitely be hiring. How much is the real question and there are many variables. Within the next two years, the department will be losing several hundred members....that is a fact. My personal belief is that there will be another round of closings (substantiated by the study they are conducting). I also believe that they will use the retirement vacancies (being filled with OT members) to make the cuts without having to layoff anyone. The mayor will be happy with the reduced budget and the Commish will try to save face by saying everyone kept their job....it worked well for them last time so why not again...

For those of you taking the test, you need to do very well. They last list had five classes (about 400 cadets). Despite losing members at record numbers, I don't think they're going to go that deep on this list. Hopefully I'm wrong, but regardless, Study hard, then study more.

Good Luck!!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Stogie81 View Post
    Anybody know what the comprehensive medical examination entails?
    Exactly what it says....comprehensive.

- Typical doctor's physical (height/weight/Blood pressure,etc)
    - EKG
    - Vision test
    - Hearing test
    - Blood test
    - Urine sample
    - Hair sample
    - Lung capacity test

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Fixxer View Post
    Exactly what it says....comprehensive.

- Typical doctor's physical (height/weight/Blood pressure,etc)
    - EKG
    - Vision test
    - Hearing test
    - Blood test
    - Urine sample
    - Hair sample
    - Lung capacity test
    Oh ok. I know some places also do CT scans but personally I'm ok with whatever they throw at me, I was just curious.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dmike1212 View Post
    Hello Everyone,

Does anyone know when they are sending out the study books?
    I just spoke to a Lieutenant at the Commissioner's Office today. According to him, an email will be sent out to those who meet the minimum qualifications in early October. This email will have the study guide attached for us to download and print.

Good luck. We're all gonna need it.

Forum Member

Hey do any of you guys from previous classes know how far down the list they got..i.e if they hired 200 they got to number 400 on the list..or 400 got down to 1000 on the list..thats sort of thing..just wondering.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Fixxer View Post
    Well, I believe that would depend on departmental needs AND how well you score. If your buddy waited three years, then he didn't do so well. I would say that the earliest a class would start is about 6 months after the test. That is incredibly fast considering all that needs to take place. The first class off the last list started 5 1/2 months after the test with the second class two months later. They ran concurrently for 2 months until the first class graduated.

As far as departmental needs, they will definitely be hiring. How much is the real question and there are many variables. Within the next two years, the department will be losing several hundred members....that is a fact. My personal belief is that there will be another round of closings (substantiated by the study they are conducting). I also believe that they will use the retirement vacancies (being filled with OT members) to make the cuts without having to layoff anyone. The mayor will be happy with the reduced budget and the Commish will try to save face by saying everyone kept their job....it worked well for them last time so why not again...

For those of you taking the test, you need to do very well. They last list had five classes (about 400 cadets). Despite losing members at record numbers, I don't think they're going to go that deep on this list. Hopefully I'm wrong, but regardless, Study hard, then study more.

Good Luck!!
    Thanks. The friend that I referred to scored above a 95...if I remember correcly he scored a 96 or 97.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FireFuss View Post
    That all depends on which list you are on.

I was in the 100 range, and there were guys in my class around 11-1200 on the list.

Sometimes it doesn't make sense how they select who goes in a class.

I'm guessing you're referring to the "we need to hire more of the preferred demographic" list..I think you or FWDBUFF were talking about it..

or did I totally miss something???

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by BigGriffC12 View Post
    I'm guessing you're referring to the "we need to hire more of the preferred demographic" list..I think you or FWDBUFF were talking about it..

or did I totally miss something???
    Something like that. I was in Fuss' class, and in the 200-300 ranking range. In my defense, I didn't really study the booklet. In Fuss' defense, he should have been in the first class but had to meet the antiquated (and now reworked) residency requirement.
    Opinions expressed are mine alone, and do not necessarily reflect those of the Philadelphia Fire Department and/or IAFF Local 22.

Thread Information