Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 62 of 134 FirstFirst ... 12525960616263646572112 ... LastLast
Results 1,221 to 1,240 of 2663
Like Tree365Likes

Thread: Philadelphia 2011

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by BigGriffC12 View Post
    also, someone mentioned that they are trying to do medicals within a week of interviews...You'll have to go back a few pages, don't quote me.
    I was told this first-hand by personnel.

In fact, can anyone out there confirm that medicals are indeed being scheduled within a week following interviews, without me calling personnel for the gazillionth time? Also, how are candidates getting notice for medicals, via mail, or in person at the end of interview day?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by unbroken136 View Post
    I was told this first-hand by personnel.

In fact, can anyone out there confirm that medicals are indeed being scheduled within a week following interviews, without me calling personnel for the gazillionth time? Also, how are candidates getting notice for medicals, via mail, or in person at the end of interview day?

It would make more sense to do it face to face at the interview, because the whole snail mail thing just wouldn't do it, since mail is only processed 6 days a week, that's 2-3 days for the letter to get where its going and be delivered, so it might only give some people a day or 2's notice to be there...which, after all, could be another way to weed people out.

Forum Member

It also seems a little odd that NO ONE on here so far has interviewed yet, or made mention of it. It's been 3 weeks into the interviews and not a soul has mentioned anything.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by FireFuss View Post
    Just imagine being on vacation in Florida and having your neighbors checking your mail. Then having one of them call you and say congrats you start the fire academy in 6 DAYS!!..

Talk about a priceline airfare ticket rush-a-paloosa!
    Imagine coming back home from a two-week vacation visiting family across the country for Christmas... And there in the mailbox is a conditional offer dated 12 days ago which in bold print says you have 5 days to respond or we will consider you no longer interested! Talk about a heart attack...

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by FireFuss View Post
    Well I was referring to Philly. They won't send you any kind of notice or wait for your response. If the letter comes and says to show up "this date" you had better be there. No call/no show is the easiest way to get kicked outta the process (for some people at least).

The police department however is a little different... I was scheduled for an interview with PD when I got the letter to start fire school. They actually called and asked if I could reschedule. Interesting how they do that and fire just says "Oh well, sucks for them, NEXT!"
    Gotchya, Fuss. Thanks. I was just reliving the past there for a second...
    Last edited by unbroken136; 07-19-2012 at 07:23 PM.

Forum Member

My 'reliable friend' received the conditional, which is one-and-the-same as the medical appointment, at the conclusion of the interview. (I did actually see the letter w/ my own eyes. OK fine, it's my brother) He did his medical already and now is waiting on gear fitting. He's buggin' out now because he hasn't heard anything back yet. Is gear fitting a separate letter, does anyone know? I keep telling him it's early, some people haven't even interviewed yet. And they're not going measure you up and buy you gear if they don't even have a solid academy start date yet.
    Last edited by SVandro; 07-19-2012 at 07:59 PM.
    unbroken136 likes this.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by SVandro View Post
    My 'reliable friend' received the conditional, which is one-and-the-same as the medical appointment, at the conclusion of the interview. (I did actually see the letter w/ my own eyes. OK fine, it's my brother) He did his medical already and now is waiting on gear fitting. He's buggin' out now because he hasn't heard anything back yet. Is gear fitting a separate letter, does anyone know? I keep telling him it's early, some people haven't even interviewed yet. And they're not going measure you up and buy you gear if they don't even have a solid academy start date yet.
    Word on the street is everything needs to be completed prior to August 17th (interview/medical). If the last group of candidates is interviewing August 1st-August 10th and you add 7 days from your interview date, that would put medicals being completed August 8th-August 17th. The timeframe works, and some "friends" in the 8th Battallion said 80 guys Sept 10th, 80 guys Sept 14th....the LT at orientation said that gear fitting would take place on a Saturday

Forum Member

Tell your bro congrats..Hopefully all of us will be in class together.

Forum Member

Only 53 days til academy!! Please pick me, please pick me! lol
    Ladders 4 likes this.

Forum Member

I know that some of the guys on the job have discussed questions asked by the Chief..just wondering if your brother wouldn't mind sharing some insight for the rest of us?

Forum Member

Thanks Griff, much appreciated. I would love to give you guys more info, but I'm not a liberty to put him out there or compromise his process at all. not to mention I don't see him much. I do know that he interviewed with two battalion chiefs, and also another interview with personnel. Basically he said it was pretty much what you'd expect from a fire dept interview, perhaps less in depth and not too many open ended questions. Sounds similar to what guys on here have been talking about for their process several yrs ago...
    Last edited by SVandro; 07-19-2012 at 09:33 PM.

Forum Member

I understand totally, I've never talked to a real career firefighter before face to face, esp. not a conversation that can possibly make or break a job lol..no issues though.

Forum Member

I'm going to turn to stone..or, write all of my answers down because I'm not worthy to speak to them lol.

Forum Member

I'm going to turn to stone..or, write all of my answers down because I'm not worthy to speak to them lol.
    Slate tablets will be provided. You must bring your own writing stone. Permission to speak must be requested by referring to yourself in the third person. Ok this joke is going too far.

Forum Member

Slate tablets will be provided. You must bring your own writing stone. Permission to speak must be requested by referring to yourself in the third person. Ok this joke is going too far.
    No joke though, in basic training we used to have to knock 3 times and ask permission to speak in the 3rd person or we would get smoked like crazy...

Forum Member

No joke though, in basic training we used to have to knock 3 times and ask permission to speak in the 3rd person or we would get smoked like crazy...
    Been there Griff. And don't dare call an enlisted NCO "sir." In the academy, I wouldn't worry bout that..you can never go wrong with 'sir'.

On a side note, the 10th would be a sweet day to start...you'd have the first 2 weekends off, and the 3rd Sunday. Not that it really matters. You'll probly have a ton of homework. I know when I was in the academy, the only thing I cared about WAS the academy.

Forum Member

Will the new contract arbitration issue effect the hiring of this class or future classes? I just read an article about the IAFF convention and how the Philly FD has more important things to worry about..

Is this class in Sept for sure 100% or is it based on the outcome of this arbitration?

Here's a link:
    http://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/201...-philadelphia/

Forum Member

anyone know what # they are up to?

Thanks

Forum Member

Whats the traffic/parking situation like near the fire and police administration buildings? Don't wanna get stuck looking for a spot while driving in between buildings. Is it feasible to walk? Any advice would be appreciated.

Forum Member

Awesome ... Thank you FireFuss

Thread Information