Like Tree365Likes

Thread: Philadelphia 2011

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by emt-pack_mule View Post
    How many weeks into the academy will people still get hired to replace anyone who drops out, gets fired, doesn't pass, etc.?
    You dont......
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

So if on the first day or even within the first week or so, if someone decides this isn't for them, or shows up late or can't keep up with PT at all, they wont call the next on the list to fill the spot? Even if the next person has had a medical/gear fitting?

Forum Member

At the interview HR said that as an alternate you may get called in, and it does happen in the begining of the academy because some people get in and its not what they expected, how long into it I dont know but she did say that they work to get you caught up. Have any of you done the NIMS ICS traning they gave us to do? Im about to start it, how long did it take you?

Forum Member

Traditionally in the past (and I am talking 20 years ago not 5) fill-ins didnt happen. If things have changed since, perhaps.....But the first couple of days of class is admin stuff and procedural training. Then the next 4-5 weeks is your EMT class. FFRN, perhaps you heard them to say alternate, as in someone who could get called in if someone were to drop out or get rejected prior to the first day of class; this seems to make sense to me. It's like boot camp, part of your training is learning teamwork and cohesion as a group; you just cant bring in someone 3 weeks in and expect them to pick up where everyone else is and not be left out. Fill-In's dont happen at Military boot camp for a reason. I dont think it's viable, but I could be wrong.

Forum Member

I did my NIMS months ago.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FFRN View Post
    At the interview HR said that as an alternate you may get called in, and it does happen in the begining of the academy because some people get in and its not what they expected, how long into it I dont know but she did say that they work to get you caught up. Have any of you done the NIMS ICS traning they gave us to do? Im about to start it, how long did it take you?
    Each of them take about 3 hours

MembersZone Subscriber

someone tell me more letters arrived today...
    antny9111 likes this.

Forum Member

Im around 330 and no letter i called hr yesterday and they said i would be in the next class sometime next year

Forum Member

??????????
    Last edited by phfire; 09-18-2012 at 08:03 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by antny9111 View Post
    Im around 330 and no letter i called hr yesterday and they said i would be in the next class sometime next year
    So they aren't interviewing again and both classes are full...

Forum Member

!!!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by phfire; 09-18-2012 at 08:03 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Antny, were you fitted, etc.?

Forum Member

Antny, did you attend orientation and do an interview? I'm ranked close to you but never received a letter for orientation. Just keeping my fingers crossed I get a letter for the next orientation in the winter. Non-vet.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff View Post
    ...But the first couple of days of class is admin stuff and procedural training. Then the next 4-5 weeks is your EMT class. FFRN, perhaps you heard them to say alternate, as in someone who could get called in if someone were to drop out or get rejected prior to the first day of class.
    Your first tour will include administrative paperwork, general lecturing, platoon formations, locker assignments, etc. However, you will also begin training. You will begin CPR training and will more than likely have the written and practical test for AHA Certification on the last day of your first tour...that is the way the last 5 classes did it. As far as "alternates"... If people do not show up or leave the first day or two, the next people on the list will get a call. This will only happen for the first couple days....as you can see, you are taught a lot, constantly, from the first tour. Also, your EMS portion of the academy will last through early November...about 8 tours. At that time the paramedics will be replaced by field officers and you will begin fire training. Prepare for things to "change" when that switch occurs. Fire training and a tour of Haz-Mat training will run the remainder of the academy. Graduation is slated for the end January for both classes.

Good luck to all those who made it! Several good tips by others on here that you should follow.... Anyone who has any specific questions can feel free to PM me.

Forum Member

Im not sure i just called and asked whats goin on with me and thats what she told me no i was never sent to orientation or anything and im also a non vet

Forum Member

Im not sure i just called and asked whats goin on with me and thats what she told me no i was never sent to orientation or anything and im also a non vet
    Also i did ask what number they were up to and she said 274 but to me it sounded like she was just throwing a number at me im not sure if they even know what number there on

Forum Member

Also i did ask what number they were up to and she said 274 but to me it sounded like she was just throwing a number at me im not sure if they even know what number there on
    Thanks antny... Still, far as I know, there's not a non-vet ranked over 150 that got anything yet... right? Or am I wrong?

Forum Member

Last edited by deadbear271; 02-15-2013 at 03:04 AM.

Forum Member

.................................................. ...............................................
    Last edited by JonBomb6; 04-28-2013 at 12:56 AM.

Forum Member

Disregard.
    Last edited by FWDbuff; 09-09-2012 at 10:53 AM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by JonBomb6 View Post
    When you say you asked her what number they were up to, did you mean just for interviews or invites?? because I'm in the 260's and my physical was canceled.... When I called the other day she said I was an alternate.
    Yeah, looks like there are about 80 or so "alternates" on the list...

Forum Member

I called personnel Friday, and have gotten the same as all you guys. I asked if I lost the weight in X amount of weeks do I still have a shot if someone drops out/quits etc and she said no, classes are both filled. I asked her if it was worth it to lose the weight and run down to 19th and Fairmount or wait until the next process..and what I got was: We can't guarantee another class, and we can't guarantee you will be selected for the process because rankings will change with people being hired etc and that the list will have to be re certified. I asked her if there was, hypothetically, a spring class when the notifications for orientation and stuff go out, and she said I can't answer that because they didn't know for sure...

So..I guess my question is now, will they start the process while there are classes in the academy? will they send a class in RIGHT after the 2 graduate? or would they wait until graduation to start the orientation and interviews? I need to make some major life decisions and I can't be holding on for something that may not come through. Just trying to get some honest answers, and it seems like the personnel dept. has no idea..

Good luck to you guys going to work tomorrow and Friday..Mouth shut, eyes, and ears open. God Bless.

Forum Member

All I can say is that for those of use who completed this entire process and have been fitted should be in the next class whenever that may be. I think it would only be the right thing.
    FFRN likes this.

Forum Member

Congrats and good luck to anyone starting today or Friday!

Temporarily Inactive

Damn this thread got boring
    ffwife83 likes this.

Thread Information