Like Tree365Likes

Thread: Philadelphia 2011

MembersZone Subscriber

Latest transfers just issued.

You might be happy (or dismayed) to learn that 7 of the 160 hires have terminated employment with the PFD.

This is no joke folks. Don't take the job unless you are committed, are in shape, and know what it takes to be a firefighter. These 7 just cost other people an opportunity.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BigGuyPhilly View Post
    Latest transfers just issued.

You might be happy (or dismayed) to learn that 7 of the 160 hires have terminated employment with the PFD.

This is no joke folks. Don't take the job unless you are committed, are in shape, and know what it takes to be a firefighter. These 7 just cost other people an opportunity.
    What is even more pathetic is that the academy is not even a quarter of the way through and there will probably be several others who will bite the dust before it is over. Disgraceful to the city, department, and those of us whom have been prepared for years!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by JonBomb6 View Post
    Nothing new, just that my status on the phila.gov website went from in hiring process status to eligible for hire. Which means anyone who wasn't hired that was within that first group for interviews and orientation has been placed back on the eligible list and ready to go through the hiring process again.

Im in the same boat

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by the shadow View Post
    What is even more pathetic is that the academy is not even a quarter of the way through and there will probably be several others who will bite the dust before it is over. Disgraceful to the city, department, and those of us whom have been prepared for years!

A quarter way through? It just started a couple weeks ago. I expect more will bite the dust before it is over with and graduation day in held.

I would have thought more than that by this time. They must be slacking up on the probies.
    BigGuyPhilly likes this.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaptOldTimer View Post
    A quarter way through? It just started a couple weeks ago. I expect more will bite the dust before it is over with and graduation day in held.

I would have thought more than that by this time. They must be slacking up on the probies.
    What's amazing is the fact that none of them have put on bunker gear, picked up a hose or put on an SCBA yet.....They're still in the EMT portion of class........Wait till they start with fire training.......
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff View Post
    What's amazing is the fact that none of them have put on bunker gear, picked up a hose or put on an SCBA yet.....They're still in the EMT portion of class........Wait till they start with fire training.......

I've said it once, and I'll say it again...You can't measure heart by a test score, or by body weight, or skin color. How disgusting...

I'm just saying...If you let an instructor or medic tell you to stop running..because you look pale and you're response is anything other then "No Sir, I refuse to quit unless I get Fired, or I die" then you need to rethink your occupation..

Forum Member

Hey NorfPhilly, can you clean out some of your messages in your inbox? I want to PM you, but it says that your inbox is too full.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by the shadow View Post
    Hey NorfPhilly, can you clean out some of your messages in your inbox? I want to PM you, but it says that your inbox is too full.
    Give it a shot now...

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BigGriffC12 View Post
    I've said it once, and I'll say it again...You can't measure heart by a test score, or by body weight, or skin color. How disgusting...

I'm just saying...If you let an instructor or medic tell you to stop running..because you look pale and you're response is anything other then "No Sir, I refuse to quit unless I get Fired, or I die" then you need to rethink your occupation..
    Then post #1739 should make you throw up because it actually happens........

Forum Member

any word on when orientation letters will go out for the january classes?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisWhalebones View Post
    any word on when orientation letters will go out for the january classes?
    I think the classes are supposed to be like feb-march.. So maybe mid December would make sense.

Forum Member

You guys were all looking sharp at the fire academy today for the Muster.
    ffwife83 likes this.

Forum Member

I think the classes are supposed to be like feb-march.. So maybe mid December would make sense.
    I hope so, I'm getting pretty anxious!!!
    Wifey2Bigfire likes this.

Forum Member

January, February, March, these are all big rumors. Does anyone have anything reliable with regards to a possible academy start date? I am debating whether or not to pay for another semester of college right now, it starts in mid-January and I don't want to waste a ton of money if I have to withdraw from classes if I am lucky enough to get a spot in the next academy. It would be a couple thousand dollars down the drain which I would do in a heartbeat for the job, but would like to avoid losing that much money if possible.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by MarUT1022 View Post
    January, February, March, these are all big rumors.
    Rumors yes, however all indication points to February being reliable. I suggest you contact Personnel, however the answer you get from them will be as non-committed as this reply. If you would like some more reliable information, contact your City Councilman or the Coucilman-at-large and see if they can obtain an answer for you.

My advice? You obviously cannot get the money back halfway through semester. You can always go back to college at a later date. I wish there were a better answer for you but this is the City of Philadelphia you are dealing with. Seek more substantial information and then make the decision to defer college or not, which is what I would do.

Forum Member

So a feb. class would mean orientation in the next month or so? Right?

Forum Member

So a feb. class would mean orientation in the next month or so? Right?
    I would think so. The last orientation letters went out in may, roughly 4 months before the September classes. I would think letters would go out very soon IF they are looking at February classes.
    Wifey2Bigfire likes this.

Temporarily Inactive

I sure hope soon!!
    the shadow likes this.

Forum Member

[QUOTE=MarUT1022;1345366]January, February, March, these are all big rumors. Does anyone have anything reliable with regards to a possible academy start date? I am debating whether or not to pay for another semester of college right now, it starts in mid-January and I don't want to waste a ton of money if I have to withdraw from classes if I am lucky enough to get a spot in the next academy. It would be a couple thousand dollars down the drain which I would do in a heartbeat for the job, but would like to avoid losing that much money if possible.

It will be at least 6 months from when the last class started and thats if they were to start right when the last ones ended

Forum Member

It's been so long that I can't remember who the ******bags are on this forum ... please point yourselves out to jog my memory ...

Banned

Spoke to HR today, no update. I'm sure something is brewing though.....hopefully my sources drop some good info soon...

Banned

Talked to Personnel again today regarding some things that I needed to update. Was told to check back around turkey day as things may start moving. The medic class that is in now will end sometime around January. Stay in the gym, keep your noses clean, and see you in 2013.
    the shadow, Wifey2Bigfire and FFRN like this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by NorfPhilly View Post
    Talked to Personnel again today regarding some things that I needed to update. Was told to check back around turkey day as things may start moving. The medic class that is in now will end sometime around January. Stay in the gym, keep your noses clean, and see you in 2013.
    Thank you very much for keeping us updated Norf, it's appreciated.

Temporarily Inactive

Quote Originally Posted by NorfPhilly View Post

Thanks Norf!!

Forum Member

Just curious, does anyone know if the department has switched over to the 4 12hr shift schedule yet? I know it was considered, but I'm unsure if it passed.

Thread Information