Page 67 of 134 FirstFirst ... 17576465666768697077117 ... LastLast
Results 1,321 to 1,340 of 2663
Like Tree365Likes

Thread: Philadelphia 2011

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by NorfPhilly View Post
    For anyone that has already taken the medical:

I'm scheduled to go next week.....

I'm two (2) pounds off my target weight according to the chart we were given at orientation. Has anyone been scrutinized by 19th and Fairmount due to weight?

(And yes i've been working out since orientation so don't ask....)
    Unless I heard wrong, I believe at orientation HR said it was the second number we had to worry about----large frame + 20%. Perhaps someone can confirm this?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by unbroken136 View Post
    Unless I heard wrong, I believe at orientation HR said it was the second number we had to worry about----large frame + 20%. Perhaps someone can confirm this?
    Yes..the 1st number is the "ideal" weight..the 2nd number is the max..

Forum Member

Quick question for anyone..at orientation the HR woman said everything had to be done by august 17th..but my medical is a few days after that. And, the letter said that the dates for the class weren't determined yet...does that mean that everyone who is scheduled after the 17th like a backup for the classes? or is everyone who went to orientation still being considered for these 2 classes?

Banned

5' 10" 204lbs....been working out every single day....I don't know if I'm considered large frame or not based on their standards. I guess they want me to weigh what I weighed in 9th grade, around 180lbs....phewwww!

I think height and weight standards are bullshi$. I passed all the physical fitness standards for the government, and they didn't even have a chart depicting height/weight.

My dad went through the PSP academy in the 80's. Passed every physical agility standard with flying colors but wouldn't hire him because he was 5lbs over their "required number"

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FireFuss View Post
    That goofy height/weight scale they give you is nonsense. It's at the doctors discretion. I am just over 6'2" and I weighed about 240 when I had my physical. If you're over that +20% list for your height but are obviously in shape, the doc wont say a word about it....

remember, muscle weights more than fat.... at least thats what I keep telling MYself!
    I hope "obviously in shape" doesn't translate into "looking like Micheal Phelps". but I don't think they can take it that seriously..at the admin building I've seen a few FF's who weren't abiding by the weight chart..and I'm sure there's some old timers or someone in a real slow station who probably doesn't conform to the weight standard. or some meat heads who look like amateur bodybuilders.

Red face

When you guys are getting the medical physical and the doctor goes to check you're prostrate, be sure that is his finger what he is using. I've seen doctors who had extra large fingers during my time in the fire service. Not only does it hurt but it will be several days before you can be regular once again.

The women doctors are rougher than the men doctors. It is like they are paying you back for something.

On a happy note, good luck to those who are progressing and will be at the academy. Be sure you pay very close attention to the instructors, as they don't like to repeat their selves.

Quote Originally Posted by BigGriffC12 View Post
    I hope "obviously in shape" doesn't translate into "looking like Micheal Phelps". but I don't think they can take it that seriously..at the admin building I've seen a few FF's who weren't abiding by the weight chart..and I'm sure there's some old timers or someone in a real slow station who probably doesn't conform to the weight standard. or some meat heads who look like amateur bodybuilders.

Those "oldtimers" as you say will have a field day with you skippy, IF you get through the academy and get assigned to the field. Another 10 year Rookie.

Forum Member

Last edited by BigGriffC12; 08-08-2012 at 04:22 PM. Reason: waste of time.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnee View Post
    Those "oldtimers" as you say will have a field day with you skippy, IF you get through the academy and get assigned to the field. Another 10 year Rookie.
    Ok, Skippy. Thanks for the informative post regarding the current discussion.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FireFuss View Post
    Thankfully, they don't do that. There is an age cap of 39 (unless you test before your 39th b-day and are eligible for hire after you turn 40.... semantics) and doctors usually start prostate exams when you turn 40....

Now, maybe you could tell us all what a "prostrate" check is.... is that where the doctor makes sure you can lay down flat on your stomach or something?
    Fuss, he brought it up because he didn't get his monthly check up, and it is making him so upset that he's putting his business out there in public going fishing hopefully looking to catch something..

Skippy is a code word for "It Gives the prostate check or it gets the hose"

MembersZone Subscriber

Quick question for anyone..at orientation the HR woman said everything had to be done by august 17th..but my medical is a few days after that. And, the letter said that the dates for the class weren't determined yet...does that mean that everyone who is scheduled after the 17th like a backup for the classes? or is everyone who went to orientation still being considered for these 2 classes?
    Did personnel mention anything at all during your interview about where you might stand as far as the first two classes go?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by unbroken136 View Post
    Did personnel mention anything at all during your interview about where you might stand as far as the first two classes go?
    I asked the woman interviewing me..I asked along the lines of " how many people are still in the process" all she said was they are currently interviewing approx 80-90 vets for 1 class, and there may be another.

While the other woman conducting interviews said there were 2 classes (as we all already know) Sept. 10,14th..

She didn't even give me the dates..not very helpful.

This, to me, could mean 1 of 2 things..

1. your being considered for the first and 2nd classes b/c of your vet status..

or

2. I don't want to tell you anything because I really don't know and don't want to spread rumors.
    Last edited by BigGriffC12; 08-08-2012 at 06:16 PM. Reason: add to post

Ok, Skippy. Thanks for the informative post regarding the current discussion.

Hero? Maybe so during his 35 plus years. He is a retired deputy chief from a major fd inside the beltway and was the chief of training at one time for that department. He probably knew some of the folks at Philly and knows what he is saying. A respectable member of the fire service.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

There is a difference between you and them though......They are already on the job and dont HAVE to conform to the hiring requirements.......just sayin'......
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff View Post
    There is a difference between you and them though......They are already on the job and dont HAVE to conform to the hiring requirements.......just sayin'......
    I understand your point. no issues.

Forum Member

http://pafirenews.net/messageboard/i...?topic=7946.45

If you look on the last page it says there up to number 260..to get 160. Trying to make sense with norfphilly...if anyone has any ideas..or just a little FYI.

Forum Member

Except all vets got bumped up so now your rank is different ... so rank 200 might be 300 now ... if thats how theyre doing it

Banned

The majority of the vets were in the top 100. Not a whole lot of guys further down the list but there def are some (a couple post on here). There list will get revamped after all of the interviews are completed (tomorrow is the last day), and some failed to show. So guys could move up that are non-vet as well

Forum Member

did someone say a way back that like 135 vets were invited to orientation? just wondering if I heard that number wrong or if I was right.

Forum Member

I really wish someone knew how many people of the 360 that were invited to orientation are still in the process..vets/non-vets.

Thread Information