Like Tree365Likes

Thread: Philadelphia 2011

Forum Member

[QUOTE=FireFuss;1298061]That all depends on which list you are on.
    QUOTE]

There is only one list. However, the supposedly now defunct Consent Decree mandated that the last 12% of each class be African-American (not minority). This allowed them to skip over qualified candidates to reach the next candidate(s) that matched the criteria. Kinda odd that they've decided to change the test now after all these years..... and coincidentally right after the Consent Decree has been rescinded....

Forum Member

[QUOTE=Fixxer;1298360]
    Quote Originally Posted by FireFuss View Post
    That all depends on which list you are on.
    QUOTE]

There is only one list. However, the supposedly now defunct Consent Decree mandated that the last 12% of each class be African-American (not minority). This allowed them to skip over qualified candidates to reach the next candidate(s) that matched the criteria. Kinda odd that they've decided to change the test now after all these years..... and coincidentally right after the Consent Decree has been rescinded....
    Fixxer I think you are just paranoid.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

[QUOTE=Fixxer;1298360]
    That all depends on which list you are on.
    QUOTE]

Right or wrong they had to change the test. The previous Philadelphia firefighter's test was similar to one struck down by the Supreme Court as discriminatory.

Forum Member

Does anyone else wake up each morning and hope to find the booklet in their email? I can't wait to get my hands on that thing....

Forum Member

What's the deal with the (3) extra points for having an EMT-B certification in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania?

We just mail in our certification? I remember reading it was still up in the air as to whether they will actually agree on giving you the extra points.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by bigandy View Post
    What's the deal with the (3) extra points for having an EMT-B certification in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania?

We just mail in our certification? I remember reading it was still up in the air as to whether they will actually agree on giving you the extra points.
    Regarding the extra points for EMT and/or FFI: Credible sources have stated that certain factions of City Government, who want large numbers of "The preferred demographic" (theres that saying again) who themselves are of "the preferred demographic" pushed for the extra points for EMT/FFI in an effort to get those of "the preferred demographic" who attended a certain Technical High School in Philadelphia (with an EMT and FFI program) hired onto the job. These certain factions did not understand however, as they had no clue as to the outside (of the City) interest in the job by those members of the "non-preferred demographic" who already have the quals. Apparently they then tried to make it for City Residents only, but were struck down by Pa.'s pesky civil service regs that said "you do it, you shall do it for everyone." This was the hold-up and the rumors that it was being struck down.

As of earlier this summer it was confirmed and was in effect for ALL applicants who could show documentation of the certs.

Forum Member

If you've got military time and FF1/EMT you're a shoe in!!!
    This is why I am so ****ed that they didnt offer the pts for EMT and FFI back when I was trying to get on board. Didn't have the vets pts but the extra would have been enough to get me on.....Would be somewhere around my 12-14th year into my PFD career by now. But, life dictated that I had to sell my house in Engine 71's local as I didnt want to raise my (then) first child in the public school system, not to mention the fact that the crap was crossing the Boulevard. Oh well. Good luck to everyone else though.

Forum Member

[QUOTE=FireFuss;1298598][QUOTE=Stogie81;1298404]

Do you actually believe that? Is there such thing as a discriminating TEST?

I think that the reasoning is COMPLETE BS. My point was that it wasn't an arbitrary change it was prompted by a lawsuit. Isn't that correct?

Forum Member

I don't believe the test in Philly was changed due to a lawsuit. I could be wrong though.

I thought they changed it due to the fact that the "new" test in supposed to be even more LESS discriminating than the last test. Did that make sense?
    I have been advised by a credible source (same source that advised the reason for the extra pts for EMT/FFI) that the test was changed due to the fact that the consent decree was struck down (no longer MANDATING minority hiring.) Therefore, in an attempt to get mass amounts of "the preferred demographic" hired, the test was dumbed down even worse than before. Damn there's that pesky saying again. Test was NOT changed due to any lawsuit.

Source also advises that any rumors flying about this test being graded on a curve or any other type of "averaging" scoring system or just plain PASS/FAIL on a two-tiered test system could very well be true. Those that want "The Preferred Demographic" hired will be jockying to change anything and everything that they can when the situation does not suit their agenda.
    Last edited by FWDbuff; 10-06-2011 at 04:21 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

There was no lawsuit directly involving the City of Philadelphia that caused the entry test to be changed.

SO, Did the PFD entry test format change due to:

A.) A recent (lawsuit; court decision; and/or settlement) that stated the entry test of another department (NOT Philly), possibly in New England, is allegedly "racist"/"disparate impact"/"whatever term you like". The "leadership" (be it Nutter, Ayers, Gillison, Law Dept., Cent. Personnel, or some combination thereof) of Philly FD looked at that result and proclaimed that our test was too similar, and a change to a "less controversial" format is needed. Thus being done to limit the City's risk from potential claims.

B.) The recent dissolution of the Consent Decree has certain elements afraid they will lose their power base, and other steps must be taken to ensure the demographics of incoming classes are maintained at a particular level.

C.) The previous "preferred vendor" used by the City to supply the entry test is no longer welcome to do business here. Therefore a new test needed to be created/found/sourced.

And the answer is: ALL OF THE ABOVE, and then some; or, Politics In Philly as usual... I have heard all the above storylines are {THE REASON} for the changes, seperately AND together, ettc.
    Opinions expressed are mine alone, and do not necessarily reflect those of the Philadelphia Fire Department and/or IAFF Local 22.

Forum Member

Does anyone know when the study guides are going to be issued

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by dbask View Post
    Does anyone know when the study guides are going to be issued
    The posting says the test is Nov 19th and that the guides will be issued 4 to 6 weeks prior. So, anywhere between the 8th and 22nd.

Forum Member

Scratch that it is available RIGHT NOW!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Stogie81 View Post
    where at dude?
    I should have cleaned up the chili.....why didn't I clean up the chili!!!!!!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Stogie81 View Post
    Oh yes do tell....where can we view the coloring books at????

Forum Member

You have to log in to the phila.gov website click on your applications and you will see the guide and the practice test.

Forum Member

It's on the HR page if you view your completed application.
    It's like reading a Fire 1 textbook compressed into 100 pages

Forum Member

copy and paste for those of us who didn't apply/can't see it.

It's too damn long to do that here. If you wanna shoot me your email, I can try and send it to you.
    Last edited by roadrunner09; 10-07-2011 at 03:13 PM.

Forum Member

copy and paste for those of us who didn't apply/can't see it.
    It is also available at the library if you are so inclined.

Forum Member

Recieved my email for the study guide.. Question, whats the mini academy? Havent been following this thread everyday, so maybe it was answered..

Forum Member

Is the test definitely scheduled for November 19th? I have the Bridgeport Fire Department test that same exact day, and I don't know which one I'll take now if this is the case.

Anyone know if Philly is giving one test date, or multiple ones?

Forum Member

There isn't one in Philly. If it's something listed in the "TPM" its a generic manual that doesn't apply to Phial Fire Dept.

They test ONE DAY ONLY, at one time and multiple locations...
    My email said the documents, meaning the email and the study guide im guessing is to be brought to the "mini academy"..... It wasnt inside the study guide.

Forum Member

Hey, I didn't get the email..should I be concerned? Should I call on Monday? what is the "mini academy"? I'm a little concerned...I saved the email with my confirmation code and everything...

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff View Post
    I have been advised by a credible source (same source that advised the reason for the extra pts for EMT/FFI) that the test was changed due to the fact that the consent decree was struck down (no longer MANDATING minority hiring.) Therefore, in an attempt to get mass amounts of "the preferred demographic" hired, the test was dumbed down even worse than before. Damn there's that pesky saying again. Test was NOT changed due to any lawsuit.

Sooo FWDbuff..... Isn't that what I said last week? And you said I was paranoid??

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BigGriffC12 View Post
    Hey, I didn't get the email..should I be concerned? Should I call on Monday? what is the "mini academy"? I'm a little concerned...I saved the email with my confirmation code and everything...
    There are supposed to be several "Mini-Academies" occuring in the coming weeks. These are basically large organized study groups hosted by members of the recruiting team. I would plan on attending at least one in case there is any "inside" information given out. Keep an eye on the Philly Fire Test facebook page for the dates and times. I don't think they are out yet.

From the looks of the study guide, you guys better start studying NOW. There is a lot of information covered and it doesn't look like they'll be asking softball questions. Certainly not a coloring book test.....hence the reason for the rumored pass/fail.

GOOD LUCK!!

Thread Information