Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 74 of 134 FirstFirst ... 24647172737475767784124 ... LastLast
Results 1,461 to 1,480 of 2663
Like Tree365Likes

Thread: Philadelphia 2011

  1. #1461
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Poconos, Pa
    Posts
    796

    Default

    My buddy said that those who get bumped to the spring will have to re-do the whole process all over again. (orientation, interview, medical). So are we first in line? like they take EVERYONE who didn't make in these 2 classes first? then whoever is left they pick more from the list? or are we just at the mercy of the man again? I doubt the only people who know for sure aren't on the forums but just throwing it out there.

    Also, I mean, for me, the doctor, said I had 6 months or else the physical didn't count, so if I lose my weight a week after these classes start, do I have to go and retake the medical (pending I pass everything else)?


  2. #1462
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    128

    Default

    Christ this is gonna be close.....I'm in the single digits 200's.

  3. #1463
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    236

    Default

    See you wackers in the spring ... good luck again to everyone getting letters

  4. #1464
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Poconos, Pa
    Posts
    796

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NorfPhilly View Post
    Christ this is gonna be close.....I'm in the single digits 200's.
    Keep your head up..you made it this far. You've made it further then literally thousands of other people. Everything will work out.

  5. #1465
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Poconos, Pa
    Posts
    796

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by deadbear271 View Post
    See you wackers in the spring ... good luck again to everyone getting letters
    I believe the correct spelling is wHacker.

  6. #1466
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    88

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BigGriffC12 View Post
    My buddy said that those who get bumped to the spring will have to re-do the whole process all over again. (orientation, interview, medical). So are we first in line? like they take EVERYONE who didn't make in these 2 classes first? then whoever is left they pick more from the list? or are we just at the mercy of the man again? I doubt the only people who know for sure aren't on the forums but just throwing it out there.

    Also, I mean, for me, the doctor, said I had 6 months or else the physical didn't count, so if I lose my weight a week after these classes start, do I have to go and retake the medical (pending I pass everything else)?
    I heard the opposite, that you wouldn't have to redo anything if you went through the entire process. I hope your buddy is wrong for the sake of others lol.

  7. #1467
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    128

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FireFuss View Post
    You WILL have to redo the entire process.

    I went through this when the city had the requirement that you have 1 year inside city limits before appointment. I got a call when the idiot doing my background realized that my issue date on my license was only a few months earlier. Needless to say I had been interviewed, passed the physical and background checks and was fitted for gear WITH a letter inviting me to class. Gotta call from HR 3 days before telling me "Sorry, but you have to decline till the next class".

    I ended up doing everything again. EVERY.... SINGLE.... THING!

    only advise... grin and bear it.



    Yeah but you can prove that otherwise through utility bills and what not. I never changed my license, but had a card from PENNDOT showing my current address. Why spend the money for a new pic, when you can carry two cards...

    You didn't fight it? I would've had lease paperwork, bills, etc
    Last edited by NorfPhilly; 08-31-2012 at 07:57 PM. Reason: addtional info added

  8. #1468
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Poconos, Pa
    Posts
    796

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NorfPhilly View Post
    Yeah but you can prove that otherwise through utility bills and what not. I never changed my license, but had a card from PENNDOT showing my current address. Why spend the money for a new pic, when you can carry two cards...

    You didn't fight it? I would've had lease paperwork, bills, etc
    Penndot doesn't issue a new photo license when you change address...They issue that yellow card with your new addy and you have to show that with your license. Then when your actual picture license expires they update the addy on that.

    I moved 2 years ago, a year after updating my picture license once home from the army, and all through this process I had to dig out and show that flimsy yellow paper.

  9. #1469
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Poconos, Pa
    Posts
    796

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FireFuss View Post
    You WILL have to redo the entire process.

    I went through this when the city had the requirement that you have 1 year inside city limits before appointment. I got a call when the idiot doing my background realized that my issue date on my license was only a few months earlier. Needless to say I had been interviewed, passed the physical and background checks and was fitted for gear WITH a letter inviting me to class. Gotta call from HR 3 days before telling me "Sorry, but you have to decline till the next class".

    I ended up doing everything again. EVERY.... SINGLE.... THING!

    only advise... grin and bear it.
    That boggles my mind. Like, why didn't they do that when they checked your yellow book before your interview and then question it during your interview. Some people man.

  10. #1470
    MembersZone Subscriber
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    109

    Default

    There is still hope for you guys that haven't heard anything yet. Heard from a reliable source that as of early last week, there were only 47 names submitted to the Fire Academy for starting the 1st class on Sept. 10 (looking for 80). Seems that background investigations are bumping many. The way the city HR works, you might get a call on Friday, Sept. 7th and told to show up on the 10th.
    unbroken136 and Wifey2Bigfire like this.

  11. #1471
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    28

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BigGuyPhilly View Post
    There is still hope for you guys that haven't heard anything yet. Heard from a reliable source that as of early last week, there were only 47 names submitted to the Fire Academy for starting the 1st class on Sept. 10 (looking for 80). Seems that background investigations are bumping many. The way the city HR works, you might get a call on Friday, Sept. 7th and told to show up on the 10th.
    Bigguyphilly, how reliable is your source? I like what your saying but just confused because someone else on here a page back said the class was already picked with 30 vets and 50 non vets... I hope your right and he is wrong...

  12. #1472
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Poconos, Pa
    Posts
    796

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BigGuyPhilly View Post
    There is still hope for you guys that haven't heard anything yet. Heard from a reliable source that as of early last week, there were only 47 names submitted to the Fire Academy for starting the 1st class on Sept. 10 (looking for 80). Seems that background investigations are bumping many. The way the city HR works, you might get a call on Friday, Sept. 7th and told to show up on the 10th.
    Your on the job and I trust your word..but yea..someone said they called personnel and they got told 50 and 30 for the 10th already..so its already filled..

  13. #1473
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Poconos, Pa
    Posts
    796

    Default

    I thought ALL backgrounds were done by now..I mean, it can't take that long. Can it? The lady didn't ask me ANYTHING durring my interview concerning my yellow book...

  14. #1474
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Poconos, Pa
    Posts
    796

    Default

    If they can't get enough people to fill 2 classes..I assume they will just postpone the 1 class?

  15. #1475
    Temporarily Inactive
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    45

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BigGriffC12 View Post
    If they can't get enough people to fill 2 classes..I assume they will just postpone the 1 class?
    Big griff it will just Mean they will burn through the list even faster!!

    Thanks big guy that makes sense when they told people for every 2 they hire 1! Appreciate the info

  16. #1476
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    4

    Default

    __________
    Last edited by MaxmorrellFirefighter; 09-02-2012 at 12:49 PM.

  17. #1477
    MembersZone Subscriber
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    109

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PFD186187 View Post
    Bigguyphilly, how reliable is your source? I like what your saying but just confused because someone else on here a page back said the class was already picked with 30 vets and 50 non vets... I hope your right and he is wrong...
    Reliable, inside info. Remember, this info was as of a week ago. I don't know when HR gave the 50 and 30 number out. Plus this is not from HR but rather from inside the PFD.

  18. #1478
    MembersZone Subscriber
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    109

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BigGriffC12 View Post
    If they can't get enough people to fill 2 classes..I assume they will just postpone the 1 class?
    No. They will continue to work to fill both classes. The PFD has no control over how fast HR works. As I said, there very will be last minute notifications. I have also seen classes filled out after they have already started. Not much to miss the first week, mostly taking care of administrative business.

  19. #1479
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    28

    Default

    Well hopefully this is all good news for all of us NON vets....
    Wifey2Bigfire likes this.

  20. #1480
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Poconos, Pa
    Posts
    796

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BigGuyPhilly View Post
    No. They will continue to work to fill both classes. The PFD has no control over how fast HR works. As I said, there very will be last minute notifications. I have also seen classes filled out after they have already started. Not much to miss the first week, mostly taking care of administrative business.
    So, if on September 10th rolls around, and they have 40 people good to go, but they need 80..how long into the academy do they allow people to come in? 1 week? 3 weeks? a month? and then they just catch you up?

    Reason being, I need to lose X amount of pounds in what is about 10 days (before the 14th) now, if they will let me come in 2 or 3 weeks into the class..and fast track me, I'll go hard. I don't want to risk hurting myself if they already have people lined up you know? But if I can squeeze in, then I'll do what I have to do...Already gave myself a kidney stone and was in the ER..so, not like I'm worried about that...

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. World Of Fire Report: 12-11-05
    By PaulBrown in forum World of Fire Daily Report
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-17-2005, 07:23 PM
  2. World Of Fire Report: 11-30-05
    By PaulBrown in forum World of Fire Daily Report
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-02-2005, 09:49 PM
  3. World Of Fire Report: 11-23-05
    By PaulBrown in forum World of Fire Daily Report
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-24-2005, 08:04 AM
  4. World Of Fire Report: 11-17-05
    By PaulBrown in forum World of Fire Daily Report
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-18-2005, 06:57 PM
  5. World Of Fire Report: 11-12-05
    By PaulBrown in forum World of Fire Daily Report
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-14-2005, 07:22 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts