Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 134 FirstFirst ... 5678910111858108 ... LastLast
Results 141 to 160 of 2663
Like Tree365Likes

Thread: Philadelphia 2011

  1. #141
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    89

    Default

    Anybody know what the comprehensive medical examination entails?
    Last edited by Stogie81; 09-26-2011 at 10:18 AM.


  2. #142
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Uijeongbu, South Korea
    Posts
    25

    Default

    How long was the testing process from last time? Meaning roughly how long was it from test date to publishing the list?

    While I'm here, what is involved in the process prior to the list being published? (test, CPAT, interviews, etc.)

    Thanks!

  3. #143
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    228

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by owens13 View Post
    Guys or ladies,

    I know the test is scheduled for the week of November 14th, but I was just wondering if anyone had any details/ideas on when they will bring in the first class after the test?

    If I remember correctly, my buddy waited 3 years from the time he took the test to the time he was brought in for a class. If that is true, hopefully that is not the case for this go around.
    Well, I believe that would depend on departmental needs AND how well you score. If your buddy waited three years, then he didn't do so well. I would say that the earliest a class would start is about 6 months after the test. That is incredibly fast considering all that needs to take place. The first class off the last list started 5 1/2 months after the test with the second class two months later. They ran concurrently for 2 months until the first class graduated.

    As far as departmental needs, they will definitely be hiring. How much is the real question and there are many variables. Within the next two years, the department will be losing several hundred members....that is a fact. My personal belief is that there will be another round of closings (substantiated by the study they are conducting). I also believe that they will use the retirement vacancies (being filled with OT members) to make the cuts without having to layoff anyone. The mayor will be happy with the reduced budget and the Commish will try to save face by saying everyone kept their job....it worked well for them last time so why not again...

    For those of you taking the test, you need to do very well. They last list had five classes (about 400 cadets). Despite losing members at record numbers, I don't think they're going to go that deep on this list. Hopefully I'm wrong, but regardless, Study hard, then study more.

    Good Luck!!

  4. #144
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    228

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Stogie81 View Post
    Anybody know what the comprehensive medical examination entails?
    Exactly what it says....comprehensive.

    - Typical doctor's physical (height/weight/Blood pressure,etc)
    - EKG
    - Vision test
    - Hearing test
    - Blood test
    - Urine sample
    - Hair sample
    - Lung capacity test

  5. #145
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    89

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fixxer View Post
    Exactly what it says....comprehensive.

    - Typical doctor's physical (height/weight/Blood pressure,etc)
    - EKG
    - Vision test
    - Hearing test
    - Blood test
    - Urine sample
    - Hair sample
    - Lung capacity test
    Oh ok. I know some places also do CT scans but personally I'm ok with whatever they throw at me, I was just curious.

  6. #146
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dmike1212 View Post
    Hello Everyone,

    Does anyone know when they are sending out the study books?
    I just spoke to a Lieutenant at the Commissioner's Office today. According to him, an email will be sent out to those who meet the minimum qualifications in early October. This email will have the study guide attached for us to download and print.

    Good luck. We're all gonna need it.

  7. #147
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Poconos, Pa
    Posts
    796

    Default

    Hey do any of you guys from previous classes know how far down the list they got..i.e if they hired 200 they got to number 400 on the list..or 400 got down to 1000 on the list..thats sort of thing..just wondering.

  8. #148
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fixxer View Post
    Well, I believe that would depend on departmental needs AND how well you score. If your buddy waited three years, then he didn't do so well. I would say that the earliest a class would start is about 6 months after the test. That is incredibly fast considering all that needs to take place. The first class off the last list started 5 1/2 months after the test with the second class two months later. They ran concurrently for 2 months until the first class graduated.

    As far as departmental needs, they will definitely be hiring. How much is the real question and there are many variables. Within the next two years, the department will be losing several hundred members....that is a fact. My personal belief is that there will be another round of closings (substantiated by the study they are conducting). I also believe that they will use the retirement vacancies (being filled with OT members) to make the cuts without having to layoff anyone. The mayor will be happy with the reduced budget and the Commish will try to save face by saying everyone kept their job....it worked well for them last time so why not again...

    For those of you taking the test, you need to do very well. They last list had five classes (about 400 cadets). Despite losing members at record numbers, I don't think they're going to go that deep on this list. Hopefully I'm wrong, but regardless, Study hard, then study more.

    Good Luck!!
    Thanks. The friend that I referred to scored above a 95...if I remember correcly he scored a 96 or 97.

  9. #149
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Poconos, Pa
    Posts
    796

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FireFuss View Post
    That all depends on which list you are on.

    I was in the 100 range, and there were guys in my class around 11-1200 on the list.

    Sometimes it doesn't make sense how they select who goes in a class.

    I'm guessing you're referring to the "we need to hire more of the preferred demographic" list..I think you or FWDBUFF were talking about it..

    or did I totally miss something???

  10. #150
    MembersZone Subscriber
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Philly
    Posts
    389

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BigGriffC12 View Post
    I'm guessing you're referring to the "we need to hire more of the preferred demographic" list..I think you or FWDBUFF were talking about it..

    or did I totally miss something???
    Something like that. I was in Fuss' class, and in the 200-300 ranking range. In my defense, I didn't really study the booklet. In Fuss' defense, he should have been in the first class but had to meet the antiquated (and now reworked) residency requirement.
    Opinions expressed are mine alone, and do not necessarily reflect those of the Philadelphia Fire Department and/or IAFF Local 22.

  11. #151
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    228

    Default

    [QUOTE=FireFuss;1298061]That all depends on which list you are on.
    QUOTE]

    There is only one list. However, the supposedly now defunct Consent Decree mandated that the last 12% of each class be African-American (not minority). This allowed them to skip over qualified candidates to reach the next candidate(s) that matched the criteria. Kinda odd that they've decided to change the test now after all these years..... and coincidentally right after the Consent Decree has been rescinded....

  12. #152
    Forum Member FWDbuff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Pee-Ayy!
    Posts
    7,387

    Default

    [QUOTE=Fixxer;1298360]
    Quote Originally Posted by FireFuss View Post
    That all depends on which list you are on.
    QUOTE]

    There is only one list. However, the supposedly now defunct Consent Decree mandated that the last 12% of each class be African-American (not minority). This allowed them to skip over qualified candidates to reach the next candidate(s) that matched the criteria. Kinda odd that they've decided to change the test now after all these years..... and coincidentally right after the Consent Decree has been rescinded....
    Fixxer I think you are just paranoid.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

  13. #153
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    89

    Default

    [QUOTE=Fixxer;1298360]
    Quote Originally Posted by FireFuss View Post
    That all depends on which list you are on.
    QUOTE]

    There is only one list. However, the supposedly now defunct Consent Decree mandated that the last 12% of each class be African-American (not minority). This allowed them to skip over qualified candidates to reach the next candidate(s) that matched the criteria. Kinda odd that they've decided to change the test now after all these years..... and coincidentally right after the Consent Decree has been rescinded....

    Right or wrong they had to change the test. The previous Philadelphia firefighter's test was similar to one struck down by the Supreme Court as discriminatory.

  14. #154
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    15

    Default

    Does anyone else wake up each morning and hope to find the booklet in their email? I can't wait to get my hands on that thing....

  15. #155
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    88

    Default

    What's the deal with the (3) extra points for having an EMT-B certification in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania?

    We just mail in our certification? I remember reading it was still up in the air as to whether they will actually agree on giving you the extra points.

  16. #156
    Forum Member FWDbuff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Pee-Ayy!
    Posts
    7,387

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bigandy View Post
    What's the deal with the (3) extra points for having an EMT-B certification in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania?

    We just mail in our certification? I remember reading it was still up in the air as to whether they will actually agree on giving you the extra points.
    Regarding the extra points for EMT and/or FFI: Credible sources have stated that certain factions of City Government, who want large numbers of "The preferred demographic" (theres that saying again) who themselves are of "the preferred demographic" pushed for the extra points for EMT/FFI in an effort to get those of "the preferred demographic" who attended a certain Technical High School in Philadelphia (with an EMT and FFI program) hired onto the job. These certain factions did not understand however, as they had no clue as to the outside (of the City) interest in the job by those members of the "non-preferred demographic" who already have the quals. Apparently they then tried to make it for City Residents only, but were struck down by Pa.'s pesky civil service regs that said "you do it, you shall do it for everyone." This was the hold-up and the rumors that it was being struck down.

    As of earlier this summer it was confirmed and was in effect for ALL applicants who could show documentation of the certs.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

  17. #157
    Forum Member FWDbuff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Pee-Ayy!
    Posts
    7,387

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FireFuss View Post
    If you've got military time and FF1/EMT you're a shoe in!!!
    This is why I am so ****ed that they didnt offer the pts for EMT and FFI back when I was trying to get on board. Didn't have the vets pts but the extra would have been enough to get me on.....Would be somewhere around my 12-14th year into my PFD career by now. But, life dictated that I had to sell my house in Engine 71's local as I didnt want to raise my (then) first child in the public school system, not to mention the fact that the crap was crossing the Boulevard. Oh well. Good luck to everyone else though.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

  18. #158
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    89

    Default

    [QUOTE=FireFuss;1298598][QUOTE=Stogie81;1298404]

    Do you actually believe that? Is there such thing as a discriminating TEST?

    I think that the reasoning is COMPLETE BS. My point was that it wasn't an arbitrary change it was prompted by a lawsuit. Isn't that correct?

  19. #159
    Forum Member FWDbuff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Pee-Ayy!
    Posts
    7,387

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FireFuss View Post
    I don't believe the test in Philly was changed due to a lawsuit. I could be wrong though.

    I thought they changed it due to the fact that the "new" test in supposed to be even more LESS discriminating than the last test. Did that make sense?
    I have been advised by a credible source (same source that advised the reason for the extra pts for EMT/FFI) that the test was changed due to the fact that the consent decree was struck down (no longer MANDATING minority hiring.) Therefore, in an attempt to get mass amounts of "the preferred demographic" hired, the test was dumbed down even worse than before. Damn there's that pesky saying again. Test was NOT changed due to any lawsuit.

    Source also advises that any rumors flying about this test being graded on a curve or any other type of "averaging" scoring system or just plain PASS/FAIL on a two-tiered test system could very well be true. Those that want "The Preferred Demographic" hired will be jockying to change anything and everything that they can when the situation does not suit their agenda.
    Last edited by FWDbuff; 10-06-2011 at 04:21 PM.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

  20. #160
    MembersZone Subscriber
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Philly
    Posts
    389

    Default

    There was no lawsuit directly involving the City of Philadelphia that caused the entry test to be changed.

    SO, Did the PFD entry test format change due to:

    A.) A recent (lawsuit; court decision; and/or settlement) that stated the entry test of another department (NOT Philly), possibly in New England, is allegedly "racist"/"disparate impact"/"whatever term you like". The "leadership" (be it Nutter, Ayers, Gillison, Law Dept., Cent. Personnel, or some combination thereof) of Philly FD looked at that result and proclaimed that our test was too similar, and a change to a "less controversial" format is needed. Thus being done to limit the City's risk from potential claims.


    B.) The recent dissolution of the Consent Decree has certain elements afraid they will lose their power base, and other steps must be taken to ensure the demographics of incoming classes are maintained at a particular level.

    C.) The previous "preferred vendor" used by the City to supply the entry test is no longer welcome to do business here. Therefore a new test needed to be created/found/sourced.











    And the answer is: ALL OF THE ABOVE, and then some; or, Politics In Philly as usual... I have heard all the above storylines are {THE REASON} for the changes, seperately AND together, ettc.
    Opinions expressed are mine alone, and do not necessarily reflect those of the Philadelphia Fire Department and/or IAFF Local 22.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. World Of Fire Report: 12-11-05
    By PaulBrown in forum World of Fire Daily Report
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-17-2005, 07:23 PM
  2. World Of Fire Report: 11-30-05
    By PaulBrown in forum World of Fire Daily Report
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-02-2005, 09:49 PM
  3. World Of Fire Report: 11-23-05
    By PaulBrown in forum World of Fire Daily Report
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-24-2005, 08:04 AM
  4. World Of Fire Report: 11-17-05
    By PaulBrown in forum World of Fire Daily Report
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-18-2005, 06:57 PM
  5. World Of Fire Report: 11-12-05
    By PaulBrown in forum World of Fire Daily Report
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-14-2005, 07:22 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts