Like Tree365Likes

Thread: Philadelphia 2011

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Devin.Keber View Post
    Two questions:

I have gotten that the “mini academy” is nothing more than a study group but does anyone know if this is mandatory? I am coming from Charleston SC, and I am trying to limit my trips (they don’t pay us too much in Charleston Fire Department lol). It is not that big of a deal seeing that I am talking about my future here.

Does Pa accept IFSAC certification? I am IFSAC firefighter II and if Pa does accept these certifications I can get my old Volly department in Pittsburgh to get my Certs in Pa. I am not trying to take advantage but I could use all the help I can get.
    1) You failed to thoroughly read the announcement from Human Resources. It states "for those candidates who are interested..." That means optional. Attention to detail. Fellas on the job (or who were on for you Fuss), how often did you hear "Attention to detail" from the instructor cadre?

2) As for certs, I don't know for sure, but I am fairly confident that the City will only give you credit for PA certs. Your Certs may be recognized by the State of PA, but that doesn't mean anything for this test. If you can get legit certs for PA, do it. Every point will matter on this test. The end total was almost 16,000 applicants. Granted, only 12-13,000 will actually show up, but that is still a very large number. Study hard.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by pipeman1822 View Post
    I understand completely. It's the same way here in DC. It's a tough academy with great instructors but they still get some very bad people through. Of course this is a fire department so word that they are lazy travels around pretty fast and the companies on the street hear about them.

Are you on the job in Philly? If so I have a question I wanted to PM you about.
    I don't know Philly10, so I don't know if he's on the job here. I think he is. If he isn't, he's sure got me fooled.

I am on the job in Philly, and will (at least try to) answer anything I can. Ask away, here or in PM.
    Opinions expressed are mine alone, and do not necessarily reflect those of the Philadelphia Fire Department and/or IAFF Local 22.

Forum Member

Anyone remember how many questions the last test was? How long did they give you to complete it? I know the test is different this time but I was curious.

Forum Member

So are we supposed to recieve an email/letter from them? just wondering how people were getting the 19th as a test day

Forum Member

Last edited by JonBomb6; 08-09-2012 at 11:25 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Fixxer View Post
    2) As for certs, I don't know for sure, but I am fairly confident that the City will only give you credit for PA certs. Your Certs may be recognized by the State of PA, but that doesn't mean anything for this test. If you can get legit certs for PA, do it. Every point will matter on this test. The end total was almost 16,000 applicants. Granted, only 12-13,000 will actually show up, but that is still a very large number. Study hard.
    12-13,000?...I figure after some get a look at this study guide they will not even bother to show up

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by JonBomb6 View Post
    I know there usually is a physical test for the fire department. That test wont be on the same day as the exam will it??
    Attention to detail is right on...at this rate I can't see many passing this test

Forum Member

Last edited by JonBomb6; 08-09-2012 at 11:25 PM.

Forum Member

Last edited by Stogie81; 02-25-2014 at 08:43 AM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FFemt1991 View Post
    So are we supposed to recieve an email/letter from them? just wondering how people were getting the 19th as a test day
    again with the attention to detail. are you kidding me i hope nobody answers this for you because if you filled out an app then you should know you don't there is something seriously wrong
    Last edited by philly10; 10-14-2011 at 03:11 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by mrpita View Post
    I don't know Philly10, so I don't know if he's on the job here. I think he is. If he isn't, he's sure got me fooled.

I am on the job in Philly, and will (at least try to) answer anything I can. Ask away, here or in PM.
    yes i am on the job thanks for noticing lol and he sent me a msg they were some valid questions

Forum Member

your opinion means nothing to me... just answer the question.

Also, I seen a post earlier this week about someone saying there is NO physical test at all... So i would just like to clear that up.
    you should't have had to see a post to know that

Forum Member

In the study booklet in the Homeland Security section there is like 4 pages on the now defunct color code terror alert system. I know the booklet is from 2006 and Im going to memorize it regardless, but it just seems asinine to memorize something that is no longer in existance because it was silly to begin with. Why would the city pay a company for a test thats five years old, and then make us memorize something we'll never use?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Upsidedown View Post
    In the study booklet in the Homeland Security section there is like 4 pages on the now defunct color code terror alert system. I know the booklet is from 2006 and Im going to memorize it regardless, but it just seems asinine to memorize something that is no longer in existance because it was silly to begin with. Why would the city pay a company for a test thats five years old, and then make us memorize something we'll never use?
    that's what they do anything that makes sense or is done correctly the city will do the opposite

Is there a study guide and if there is where can i find it

When did the study guide come out.. me & my wife just had a baby so i been running around where can i find it or do they mail it to you

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Upsidedown View Post
    It seems that we will have to memorize all of this study guide and then pretty much forget it ALL. For example in the Tools and Equipment section they talk about a pike pole but I was told if you call it that in the academy they will rip you a new one.

Forum Member

I remember back in...oh lets see.....Prolly 1992 or so......In one of the study books they had a diagram of how to make an improvised ladder pipe using a line lashed to a ground ladder. You could tell it was from around WWII or so.....Never, ever saw it used anywhere and never heard of it either. But yes, there were questions on the test about it!!!!!!!!!!!
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

your opinion means nothing to me... just answer the question.

Also, I seen a post earlier this week about someone saying there is NO physical test at all... So i would just like to clear that up.
    Yes the physical is the same day as the written. You have to jump in the Delaware River, swim across & touch the bulkhead in Camden, then swim back.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff View Post
    Yes the physical is the same day as the written. You have to jump in the Delaware River, swim across & touch the bulkhead in Camden, then swim back.

I thought you would have to throw a silver dollar across the old Delaware as part of the exam!
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Stogie81 View Post
    It seems that we will have to memorize all of this study guide and then pretty much forget it ALL. For example in the Tools and Equipment section they talk about a pike pole but I was told if you call it that in the academy they will rip you a new one.
    that is true we call it a ceiling hooks but mostly just "hooks" i looked over the guide and yes there is alot of things you will need to forget but i wouldn't worry to much if you get in they will drill the termanology into your heads that is of coures after the medics bust your balls or ovaries (got to be policticaly correct lol) for the first half of the academy haha. good luck ppl just hit the books and hope for the best

Forum Member

Default Test

Does anyone know exactly what day and time the test is going to be on. I need to know so i can call out from work

Forum Member

man put in about three hours a day

Forum Member

am comeing all the way from memphis tn thats to far to come to flop

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by dbask View Post
    Does anyone know exactly what day and time the test is going to be on. I need to know so i can call out from work
    I would like to know this too, the website just says "tentatively set for the week of November 14th". cant take a week off work and stay in a hotel for a whole week

Thread Information