Thread: Hose Hoist

Forum Member

Default Hose Hoist

I struggle a lot with hose hoist, where you're standing on the 2nd or 3rd floor pulling up the hose in an upward motion. Is there a specific workout I can do at the gym that mimics the same motion?

Forum Member

pick up a weight and move it in the same manner... There's several you can do, a bent over row, snatches. Get a rope and tie it to an tire and drag it towards yourself. Do any workout where you pull resistance toward your body.

Tip of advice, when you pull the rope up, put a bend in the rope as you grasp it. As you are over the rail to grab the rope, grab with your pinky finger down, grab the rope and turn your hand so that your knuckles are facing the ground. It's a much better grip.

Forum Member

+1 on the improved grip and +1 on pulling a tire toward you with a rope. That's the best way to mimic the hose hoist.
    Fire Service Interview questions - The blog that has REAL interview questions for firefighters, Engineers, Lieutenants, and Captains !

Forum Member

If you can practice bent over a rail pulling anything up will be the key. You need to practice clearing the slack. That way you only have the option of 1 rope to grab instead of grabbing the slack instead of the lead and slipping

bw3
    Forum Member

Work out your back, pullups, bent over rows, lat pulls. The tire pull mentioned above is a great way to train for that event, try it at a heavy weight, the more you do the lighter that hose is going to feel while you hoist it upward.

MembersZone Subscriber

I think the biggest thing with the hose hoist is almost all grip and technique. Like someone said before bend your hand after you grab the rope, and that will help from when you get fatigued to not start letting the rope fall down. As far as muscles that you could help workout for are the following: Back, Chest, Shoulders, Biceps, Triceps, Forearms, and of course Grip. Workouts that I know help with these are listed:

- Bent over row
    - Bench
    - Cleans
    - Curls
    - Flys
    - And anything to help with your grip
    Sincerely,

JuniorAFPD
    juniorafpd@gmail.com

Forum Member

What size hose is used? Picked up some garbage 3 in to practice pulling, and made me wonder what is generally used.

Forum Member

It varies... just depends on their desired weight. Most of the time I see weight at about 45lbs. A 50' section of 3" should weigh right at 45lb. In the combat challenge, it's 4" at 42 lbs with 3/8" kernmantle rope.

Some places use lighter weight. I'd recommend 45-50 lb. Once you lean over a rail and grab 35lb and your used to 50, it's like pulling only the rope.

Hope this helps

Thread Information