Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Default P90X for an alternative workout

Hello all,

Im curious if anyone here has completed, or tried, the P90X workout series? Im considereing doing it to strengthen my core and back, get my legs stronger and improve my shoulders.

We all know wearing that darn SCBA can be rough, not to mention everything else where you gotta 'put your back into it' to get stuff moving.

Any insight or thoughts and even suggestions are greatly appreciated.
    Thanks

MembersZone Subscriber voyager9's Avatar

The wife and I did it about two years ago. Some of the tapes are tough, some aren't as bad. Overall I thought it was pretty good. It's especially good for folks that don't go to a gym and haven't done a gym routine previously.

The hardest part for me was adjusting our schedule to get up at 0430 to do the workouts together before work.
    So you call this your free country
    Tell me why it costs so much to live
    -3dd

MembersZone Subscriber

Cool Workouts

My wife and I have done at least 4 rounds of the P90X and we still use the workouts. We enjoy Tony's workouts so much that we also bought the P90X+ and the 10 Minute Trainer series, of which we enjoy every workout.

My suggestion because it works for me, is once you finish a round (90 days) take a month off and focus on strength training (heavy weights) and cardio. After that month, go back to the P90X. If you have the other series, you can supplement the workouts that you don't care for with the P90X+. When you are crunched for time you can do the 10 Minute Trainer workouts.

As a father of (3), Professional Fire Captain and a guy with a super busy schedule I highly recommend these workouts. It's taken me from a fat and flabby 6' 2" 245 lbs to a fit and tight 6' 2" 183-187 lbs. All areas that involve physical fitness and activity have increased.

If you ever need motivation or support, do not hesitate to contact me..... "I'm here for ya....."
    "Be LOUD, Be PROUD..... It just might save your can someday when goin' through an intersection!!!!!"

Life on the Truck (Quint) is good.....

Eat til you're sleepy..... Sleep til you're hungry..... And repeat.....

Thanks mikeyboy and voyager9,

Im preparing to get a B.S. in Fire Science, i got my EMT before I was even 18(and it is nationally accredited) and im an explorer with LACoFD. Im preparing to take the CPAT, go through the Academy and prepare for the job so that was the real reason why I considered P90X. I'm 18 now and I do alot of cardio and then your typical 3 sets of 12 full body routine.

Another question is what do you think of the nutrition plan? Can it be tweaked slightly for someone to add more protein to add mass?
    "Squad 51.. Traffic Collision, 9876 mayberry rd... Time out 5 minutes. Squad 51"

MembersZone Subscriber

Yes, it can..... The Nutritional Guide Book says that when you read it completely. You may want to think about increasing the number of sets to 4 and set the rep amounts to 10-15 depending on the exercise. Again, it's what I've done and I've seen great results.

Just had another thought, I talked to a P.T. Trainer for the Army and he says what he does for his "problem children" is he has them do the 90 days series and then the next round is the program in reverse. I'm gonna try it out and see how effective it is, he swears it works well.
    Last edited by mikeyboy; 07-23-2011 at 04:23 PM.
    "Be LOUD, Be PROUD..... It just might save your can someday when goin' through an intersection!!!!!"

Life on the Truck (Quint) is good.....

Eat til you're sleepy..... Sleep til you're hungry..... And repeat.....

I used the P90X workouts last year and got into the best shape of my life. Given that I'm 41, and went through USMC boot camp at 17, that is a big claim. Consider that the most dead-hang pullups I had ever done was 13, and was doing 8-10 before I started the program. After 4 months of P90X I did 19 pull-ups for my USMC physical fitness test.

I couldn't do the Yoga and Plyo flexibility wise, so I ran or used the elliptical for cardio. I went from 190lbs to 175, and pretty solid. Unfortunately, I just couldn't keep up with the 1 1/2 hours a day to keep up, and had a couple injuries that slowed me down as well.

I still use some of the exercises, and mix it in with a lot of Crossfit stuff-flipping tires, ammo can lifts, squats, etc.

Awesome!! Im sold on it now lol! Can't wait to put it to the test.

Ill do the program and then after I do, i'll post my time on the CPAT and maybe for a little extra fun the MC PFT

Hey mikeyboy, i'll PM/e-mail ya for a little motivation here and there
    "Squad 51.. Traffic Collision, 9876 mayberry rd... Time out 5 minutes. Squad 51"

Thread Information