Forum Member

Default online EMT-I college as an exploer

I live in GA, im age 16 i was wondering if you are allowed at age 16 to get a EMT-I not to work but so in a year and 2 months i can join the department it is a need to have a EMT-I and i just want to get a head start any info would be helpfull thank you

Forum Member

I'd like to know also

Forum Member

Have you called a school that offers emt class and asked the question

There is a high school here that offers it as part of regular school maybe talk to the school in yOur area to see if they would start that

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by kenyon View Post
    I live in GA, im age 16 i was wondering if you are allowed at age 16 to get a EMT-I not to work but so in a year and 2 months i can join the department it is a need to have a EMT-I and i just want to get a head start any info would be helpfull thank you
    I wouldn't know, but I would suggest you check the age you have to be to become an EMT. In Massachusetts you have to be 18 to get your EMT.

Stay safe

FossilMedic

National Registry requires candidates for EMT-Basic or higher be 18 years or older to take the certification exam.

https://www.nremt.org/nremt/about/re...y_Requirements

Forum Member

Ok well first off you have to be 18 and to start your EMT intermediate you have to first take your EMT basic where you first learn the basic stuff in an intermediate class you are going further from that and learning some more things such as basic intravenous therapy.

Wow it's been a while since I've been on here... Obviously I've been missing a lot.

As for what NREMT says... You CAN take an EMT-B course (which you need before EMT-I) before you are 18. I took mine in high school. ALSO, if you do take the classes and finish the classes before you are 18 you CAN take the National Registry test... Here's the catch: I do believe they won't grade your test untill you're 18, and they will charge you (I believe) a $30 fee to late grade your test.

What you should be more concerned about is whether the school where you would take your EMT-B classes allows anyone under 18 and/or without a high school diploma to even be in the class. One school near me says you have to be both 18 and graduated, while another will let you take the courses through the high school, and yet another will let you take the courses outside of your normal high school courses before 18/diploma. Make a few calls and see what you can come up with. And if you know someone that you may be able to use as a reference: DO IT... just make sure you ask them first. Often times knowing someone can get you places. If you don't know anyone... then you need to start networking (intentionally meeting people that may later help you start/further your career) like YESTERDAY!
    Explorer Assistant Chief Alisha Fern

Leadership: The ability to guide, direct, and influence others.

Leadership can be thought of as a capacity to define oneself to others in a way that clarifies and expands a vision of the future.

alisha.fern@firehousemail.com

Forum Member

You can take the class before hand but need to take and exam when 18 and can only be certified at 18.

Thread Information