Forum Member

Default Gloves and Knots?

-----------------------
    Last edited by Neil321; 06-01-2013 at 12:53 PM.
    "you know what the best part is? It's not knowing that your friends have got your back--it's knowing that YOU'VE got your FRIENDS' backs."

-Green Street Hooligans

MembersZone Subscriber

Practice. Thats about it. Then once you get that down, start doing them without looking.
    ‎"I was always taught..." Four words impacting fire service education in the most negative of ways. -Bill Carey

Forum Member

You'll have bigger issues than tying knots with gloves on at the academy...

Quit sweating it and just practice.
    HAVE PLAN.............WILL TRAVEL

Forum Member

Exactly what tajm and Paladin said, just practice, practice, and practice some more.
    "If it was easy, someone else would of done it already." - Lt. Ray McCormack FDNY

- Firefighter 1 / HAZMAT Ops / EMT-B

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Neil321 View Post
    Hey guys,

I'm about to start fire academy soon and have had all my bunker gear for a month now, trying to get used to it and training in it.
    I've been practicing knots and am confident with most of them, but with the gloves ON...it's a different story.

Currently, I am issued a pair of medium Glove Corp. gloves (the yellow ones that say "Fire Fighter" on the top of the hand). These fit pretty snugly and i'm sure a size smaller would be too tight---however, when i try to tie knots with these on, it's near impossible. Is this something you just have to practice repeatedly, or do these gloves just take a while to "break-in" ? There is 1 centimeter between the tip of my finger and the tip of my glove, but the fire chief in our town has said this is a normal fit (who am i to argue with the guy..).

Do you guys have any tips?
    You won't have to worry too much about those bulky Glove Corp. gloves once you wear them out at the academy. Glove Corp. went belly up. Thankfully, there are plenty of gloves that meet NFPA and are not near as bulky.

MembersZone Subscriber

make bigger loops & practice, practice, practice
    "Courage is the resistance to fear, the mastery of fear, not the lack of fear." Mark Twain
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough." Uknown

Forum Member

Are you using the correct rope? You should be practicing with large diameter (~12mm) kernmantle rope. This stuff can be fairly stiff which makes it easier to handle with gloves on. You should not be using 3/8" hardware store rope.

As was already mentioned, make the loops bigger and don't try to stick your gloved hand or fingers into or through the knot when feeding the rope. Stick the end through and pull it from the other side. This is why stiffer rope helps.

Bottom line; you need to practice.

Forum Member

---------------------
    "you know what the best part is? It's not knowing that your friends have got your back--it's knowing that YOU'VE got your FRIENDS' backs."

-Green Street Hooligans

Forum Member

Practice, practice, practice that is how I learned to tie knots with my gloves on.

Forum Member

practice first without gloves to get the basics down, then practice with your gloves on, eyes closed, and all of your gear on, then practice tying them with your eyes closed and putting them on yourself, ie handcuff knot. I wouldnt sweat practicing knots though, they will teach you the correct way at the academy. I would worry more about CONDITIONING and STAMINA, run your butt off so your ready for physical training, you can never be ready enough for that.

Forum Member

-------------------

-Green Street Hooligans

Forum Member

You should also chek with Captain Tying Knots. Anyone need some knots tied, they go to him.

Forum Member

As everyone has said PRACTICE and lots of it, also just my 2 cents, if you can tie the knots with sub-par rope with the gloves on, then tying them with the correct rope will be easier (or at least that was the case with my personal experience).

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ffscm72 View Post
    make bigger loops & practice, practice, practice
    What he said ^

MembersZone Subscriber

Practice, practice, practice. You should be able to do ALL of the skills you learn at the academy with your gloves on.

Thread Information