Forum Member

Default Hi everyone (intro).

Hi guys,

I have been reading over this website for a few months now and decided to join the forum.

I am enrolled in EMT school and going to fire school in Central FL next year. I have been very interested in becoming a FF but have been in real estate development for the last several years after graduating from college in 2006. I have been living in NC but I was born in South FL and had been living in Orlando up until last year. I realize getting a job as a FF is very competitive, but I look forward to working hard and plugging away at it until it happens. I have 2 family members that are FF's. One has retired and one is currently working in South FL. Everyone I know loves it and I've never been around a group of people that actually love their job.

I just wanted to say hello to everybody and I'd definitely like to hear from you all. Any pointers, words of encouragement, pros and cons of the fire schools in Central FL, stories, etc are certainly welcomed.

PS - I am hoping to get into Central FL Fire Academy. I hear it's hard to get into. Hopefully having my EMT and a 4 yr degree (in Business) will get me into fire school. I've also heard good things about Valencia but I am heavily leaning towards Central FL Fire Academy. I've talked to the director several times and he's been very helpful and encouraging.

Thanks for reading...

MembersZone Subscriber

Howdy.

Here are some pointers

1.) There is no magic bullet to getting hired. Persistence pays.
    2.) Don't drink and drive
    3.) It doesn't matter what school you go too, as long as you get the certs. But you will be better off in the long run going to a REAL medic school that will teach you how to be a medic not just to pass the state exam.
    4.) Go to medic school
    E.) Prepare for a multi-year process
    6.) Hope you enjoy EMS it's what you will be doing.
    7.) Grow some thick skin, The firehouse can be brutal.
    H.) Best Job in the world, don't get discouraged.

Your forum name brings to mind a hott chick who wants 2 Bad ***** Firefighters or at least that's what I got out of it :P

Oh yea and welcome.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by flfirebuff86 View Post
    Howdy.

Here are some pointers

1.) There is no magic bullet to getting hired. Persistence pays. /B]2.) Don't drink and drive
    3.) It doesn't matter what school you go too, as long as you get the certs. But you will be better off in the long run going to a REAL medic school that will teach you how to be a medic not just to pass the state exam.
    4.) Go to medic school
    E.) Prepare for a multi-year process
    6.) Hope you enjoy EMS it's what you will be doing.
    7.) Grow some thick skin, The firehouse can be brutal.
    H.) Best Job in the world, don't get discouraged.

Your forum name brings to mind a hott chick who wants 2 Bad ***** Firefighters or at least that's what I got out of it :P

Oh yea and welcome.
    Thanks for the head's up. Will do.

Forum Member

want2baff. i wish you the best of luck

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by flfirebuff86 View Post
    1.) There is no magic bullet to getting hired. Persistence pays.
    +1. Best advice anyone can give you.

Forum Member

Default Thanks

Thanks guys, I appreciate the advice / comments.

Forum Member

A lot of good points were brought up by fire buff.

And to re-iterate, be persistent and don't put all your eggs in one basket.

Unless you have a real good reason you need to stay where you are, don't hesitate to apply all around Florida.
    I know too many people who paid their own way through Fire Academy, EMT and Medic school only to never get hired because they only wanted to work for one department.
    Now all of these guys are either having to drive to ocala to recertify themselves or just go back to school for a different career.

Good luck

Forum Member

Default Newby

Welcome and good luck in your endeavor to become a Firefighter. Those of us who are and have been firefighters understand what you are going through and what has already been said..."Hang in there and don't give up your dream."
    Respectfully,
    Jay Dudley
    Retired Fire
    Background Investigator
    IACOJ-Member
    Lifetime Member CSFA
    IAFF Alumni Member

Forum Member

Thx again guys. I have one family member that retired from a large FD in South FL and one who works there currently. Palm Bch Co seems like a great place to work. Anyone know why they seem to pay a bit highrer than everyone else? I'm assuming it is the cost of living.

But I'd be more than happy to be in Central FL. Orlando and OC seem to pay pretty well (starting at around $40k I believe). I'd be more than happy to work as an EMT for a few years while looking for a FF position. Probably go ahead and go into medic school while applying for FF position.

My best chance is probably a large dept in South FL where my relative works. I'd make the drive, but my wife doesnt want to live down there. I'll take what I can get and make the drive if need be though.

Thread Information