Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default City Council lashes out at Firefighters

Tusayan Town Council makes inflammatory remarks about post 9-11 firefighters.

Tusayan, AZ is a small community located outside the entrance of the Grand Canyon. The volunteer fire department has been under attack from members of the city council (who have been paid Ďbonusesí for their role in local business votes).

Tusayan 'bonuses' follow election

On 7/3/11 a fire was lit at a town parade (which was deemed illegal by the council members). The council attempted to place blame for the fire on members of the fire department. An investigation has ensued and misdemeanor charges are being threatened. In reality, the fire department did not start the fire.

ďThe Mayor stated that the Council has instructed the Town Manager conduct an investigation into the violation of Ordinance 2010-09-08-02 on Sunday, July 3, 2011 regarding a bonfire being started during a period when extreme fire restrictions were in place that prohibited any wood fires.Ē From 7/6/11 City Council webpage.

On 7/21/11, approximately 50 residents of the town went to show their support at the city council meeting. After numerous residents spoke to show their support of the fire department, the supporters left.

Youtube Video of Council Being Addressed

After their departure, a council-member said the following:
    ďEver since 911, people have this perception that firefighters are heroes. Everybody loves firefighters. Firefighters can do no wrong. They put out fires and they save lives. They answer medical responses. Everybody loves a firefighter. They can do no wrong. Excuse me. Iím speaking from experience. Iím a firefighter. Iíve served six years on the Tusayan Fire District for no money. Iíd didnít turn back or complain or tell people how many calls or hours I put in to declare myself a hero. Heroes are proclaimed by their peers by the deeds that they do. And they donít need to be declared by the people who proclaim themselves as self-entitled heroes. Make no mistake, Firefighters are heroes by the deeds they do, not by the declarations of things theyíve accomplished. This is absurd, that these people march in here and say these things when they have no foundation of the information that they gathered, other than their perception of someone who eavesdropped behind a door at e-session. This is nothing but a bunch of peopleís perceptions running awry. Thatís what happened here.Ē -Council Member (Forest Service employee) Bob Blasi.

Youtube Video of Blasi comments

Republic Article of TFD Volunteer being recognized for Medal of Valor 2 days after Blasi called members self-proclaimed heros.

More info at-
    www.grandcanyongwatchdog.com

I like ketchup on my scrambled eggs.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff View Post
    I like ketchup on my scrambled eggs.
    You are sick. Tobasco, not ketchup.

MembersZone Subscriber

I guess I'm not seeing the issue? 9/11 did not change who we were before that day or after that day. There were many actions on 9/11 that clearly the general public see as heroic and some many firefighters see as such as well. But we don't do this job looking for such recognition. I'm fairly confident that all those involved in actions on 9/11 weren't doing more than what they considered their duty. To seek to be recognized as a hero based on the deaths of so many brother's is shameful.

Sure we saw a sudden increase in the public's recognition of the dangers firefighters to take to protect the masses and this resulted in propelling the fire service forward into the public's eye, but our duties didn't change. We're still accountable for our mission and to those we serve, we still need to understand this. There have been hundreds if not thousands of heroic actions since 9/11 that firefighter have committed to in as part of their duty.

I see the feeling in this article that some firefighters seem to think that they can do no wrong because 343 firefighters died on 9/11? The true hero's in my eyes are those who stepped forward to fight terrorism on other continents to ensure this never happens again in America. This in know way diminishes the actions that led to the supreme sacrifice of our FDNY brothers. I guess I also see those FDNY guys that carried on in the face of such a huge loss as heroic, given the sacrifices they and their families dealt with and sadly are still subjected to. Even now as the Mayor of NYC tries to subject them to ludicrous cuts you don't see those guys using 9/11 as an excuse to get whatever they want. Instead they continue to prove what they need to protect their citizens based on the daily toll emergencies take on NYC.

Quote Originally Posted by LVFD301 View Post
    You are sick. Tobasco, not ketchup.
    When I was younger. Not now. Bad things man, bad things.

Forum Member

Default Video with councilmember

I think you really need to see the video for the context.

The FFs were trying to defend themselves from flimsy charges about a campfire. They never brought up anything about 9-11 or being heroes (that was all injected by the councilmember).

Quote Originally Posted by tfdrailroaded View Post
    I think you really need to see the video for the context.

The FFs were trying to defend themselves from flimsy charges about a campfire. They never brought up anything about 9-11 or being heroes (that was all injected by the councilmember).
    And you need to understand that this is not the place to air dirty laundry, not to mention it's in poor taste and makes you look like a bunch of crybabies.

MembersZone Subscriber

Exclamation What He Said!

Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff View Post
    And you need to understand that this is not the place to air dirty laundry, not to mention it's in poor taste and makes you look like a bunch of crybabies.
    Bingo! Exactly my impression.

Thread Information