Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default Sallyport good or bad

I put in a application with Sallyport and as I was reading some of the post I've seen some negative feedback most have been a while back and was wondering if its changed? Also what other companies are hiring ff to go overseas? One last thing does anyone knpw what would set one person apart from another?

Forum Member

Im currently in Iraq with Sallyport and I too saw all the bad things out there about the company, but I'll tell anyone to just come experience it for yourself because everyone is different and what one will overlook the next person will flip out about. To me its like any other job, you have your ups and your downs but the difference is the pay check. I been here since June and I'm enjoying myself but again I may overlook things others will get upset about.

Forum Member

Thanks I've also seen how some people say they have a book of certs and others say the basics are enough what sets one person sort from another. I agree with what you say about overlooking things I'm a pretty laid back go with the flow type so sounds good to me

Forum Member

So 251, did they put any importance on already having your CFR D/O cert or WT d/o cert after you arrived on station there? I went thru training in EL Paso last October with a guy who had just finished three, back to back tours with WSI in Iraq. He gave me the high and lows in about 2 hours.

Can you add your breaks up and take them at once (like 6-8 weeks in a row, then stay put the rest of the time), or do you have to take your break time seperat, every 4 months? Thanks.

Forum Member

I have the following certs npq ff 1& 2, hazmat opps and awareness, npq evaluater,NIMS-100,200,700,800 crash victim extraction as well as paramedic been in the fire service since late 2004 started as a vol. then career do I have a snow balls chance in Iraq?

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by firefighterdino View Post
    I have the following certs npq ff 1& 2, hazmat opps and awareness, npq evaluater,NIMS-100,200,700,800 crash victim extraction as well as paramedic been in the fire service since late 2004 started as a vol. then career do I have a snow balls chance in Iraq?
    What is npq? Contractors for US government will only except DOD, IFSAC, and Pro Board certifications. You can get hired with the job posting certification requirements but it helps to have the following; Airport FF, Mob water supp, tecom 1&2 and military background. This would make you a more usable firefighter because you could work at any base/airfield. Right now there are so many applications on file because of the US economy your only hope is know somebody who knows somebody that blew somebody.... Or just be that one lucky applicant....

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by desertfirestorm View Post
    What is npq? Contractors for US government will only except DOD, IFSAC, and Pro Board certifications. You can get hired with the job posting certification requirements but it helps to have the following; Airport FF, Mob water supp, tecom 1&2 and military background. This would make you a more usable firefighter because you could work at any base/airfield. Right now there are so many applications on file because of the US economy your only hope is know somebody who knows somebody that blew somebody.... Or just be that one lucky applicant....
    NPQ=Proboard

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by firefighterdino View Post
    Yes you do meet the minimum quals for most contracts. If you can get ARFF get it!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by SCIBR10 View Post
    So 251, did they put any importance on already having your CFR D/O cert or WT d/o cert after you arrived on station there? I went thru training in EL Paso last October with a guy who had just finished three, back to back tours with WSI in Iraq. He gave me the high and lows in about 2 hours.

Can you add your breaks up and take them at once (like 6-8 weeks in a row, then stay put the rest of the time), or do you have to take your break time seperat, every 4 months? Thanks.
    With Sallyport you get 30 days of R&R which you can take in one shot or divide into two separate trips. The company will reimburse you a total of 2K for airfare, normally done at 1K per R&R. This place can get stressful so getting out every four months or so can really recharge the batteries. You are by no means forced to take any R&R if you choose not to.

Thread Information