Forum Member

Default Deodorizing after putrefaction

We have a small greenhouse at my workplace. Monday night, a decomposing corpse was found inside it (the door had been removed for repairs).

With temps in the 90's, as you can imagine, the smell was heinous. I have poured 160 lbs. of powdered lime on the area where the body was. The floor is coarse gravel.

Has anyone dealt with cleanup of a situation like this? Any commercial products you can recommend? I think if we can deodorize it pretty well I will just pour a little concrete slab to cover the area, but I don't want to seal in that smell.

Any thoughts?
    I am more than just a serious basketball fan. I am a life-long addict. I was addicted from birth, in fact, because I was born in Kentucky.
    ― Hunter S. Thompson

Forum Member

Bleach??????
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

A crapload of activated charcoal for a crapload of time might do the trick. For a shorter fix, you may need to excavate quite a bit of gravel out of there and replace it....

Forum Member

Here is what I found....it states for rotten meat - but hey - that what a corpse is, right?

Instructions
    Things You'll Need
    Bleach
    White vinegar
    Charcoal
    Baking soda
    Coffee grounds

Clean any surfaces that were in contact with rotten meat or rotten meat packaging with bleach. The bleach will help to break down the proteins in the meat that enable the rotten meat smell to linger for so long.

Wipe down any surfaces that were in contact with the rotten meat or may have absorbed their smell with white vinegar. Allow the vinegar to sit for several ours.

Clean off the vinegar with warm water and dry the surface.

If the area with the rotten meat smell can be closed off (such as a refrigerator, a car or a small room with a door) place a new bag of charcoal in the area. Unseal the bag and widen the opening so air can freely enter into it. Leave the bag in place for up to one week to allow it to absorb all of the smell, then dispose of the bag.

If the area with the rotten meat smell cannot be closed off, spread coffee grounds on the area where the rotten meat was located and any surface nearby that may have absorbed the smell. Also place an open box of baking soda nearby. After one week, dispose of the baking soda and vacuum the coffee grounds.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by pasobuff View Post
    Here is what I found....it states for rotten meat - but hey - that what a corpse is, right?

Instructions
    Things You'll Need
    Bleach
    White vinegar
    Charcoal
    Baking soda
    Coffee grounds

Clean any surfaces that were in contact with rotten meat or rotten meat packaging with bleach. The bleach will help to break down the proteins in the meat that enable the rotten meat smell to linger for so long.

Wipe down any surfaces that were in contact with the rotten meat or may have absorbed their smell with white vinegar. Allow the vinegar to sit for several ours.

Clean off the vinegar with warm water and dry the surface.

If the area with the rotten meat smell can be closed off (such as a refrigerator, a car or a small room with a door) place a new bag of charcoal in the area. Unseal the bag and widen the opening so air can freely enter into it. Leave the bag in place for up to one week to allow it to absorb all of the smell, then dispose of the bag.

If the area with the rotten meat smell cannot be closed off, spread coffee grounds on the area where the rotten meat was located and any surface nearby that may have absorbed the smell. Also place an open box of baking soda nearby. After one week, dispose of the baking soda and vacuum the coffee grounds.
    I totally agree! Especially with vinegar and the coffee. Also, check with your sanitation department. I worked with the sanitation dept here during breaks from school and they have got some super powerful stuff! Makes the truck smell like walking through a fruit orchard.

Forum Member

What kind of corpse??
    Bring enough hose.

Forum Member

Hey Joe..dat coffee has a weird kinda taste...reminds me of...

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by L-Webb View Post
    What kind of corpse??
    A human one that was there for about 72 hours in 90-degree heat. Inside a greenhouse.

I have called Serv-Pro and I think I'm just gonna let them deal with it.
    I am more than just a serious basketball fan. I am a life-long addict. I was addicted from birth, in fact, because I was born in Kentucky.
    ― Hunter S. Thompson

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by EastKyFF View Post
    A human one that was there for about 72 hours in 90-degree heat. Inside a greenhouse.

I have called Serv-Pro and I think I'm just gonna let them deal with it.
    You sure you're not just finding a way to dispose of a body without the smell giving you away?
    Shawn M. Cecula
    Firefighter
    IACOJ Division of Fire and EMS

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by lewiston2ff View Post
    you sure you're not just finding a way to dispose of a body without the smell giving you away? :d
    shut up!!!

:d
    ― Hunter S. Thompson

Forum Member

The coffee ground trick is the cat's meow for getting rid of all sorts of stanks. It's a standard trick in the trucking industry- esp for reefers- to remove a stubborn stink from a trailer before bringing it into a picky customer.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Nozzle nut 22 View Post
    The coffee ground trick is the cat's meow for getting rid of all sorts of stanks. It's a standard trick in the trucking industry- esp for reefers- to remove a stubborn stink from a trailer before bringing it into a picky customer.
    I've heard of heating contractors using it to get red of the smell of fuel oil.
    Opinions my own. Standard disclaimers apply.

Everyone goes home. Safety begins with you.

MembersZone Subscriber

Ask a real expert. Ask the folks at the funeral home next door. No one gets rid of the odor of death better.

Forum Member

Pine Sol works good
    Do not let the ghosts of our fallen brothers gaze upon you and ask " What have you done to my profession?" FTB DTRT EGH

Back In Black

Noone is going to ask how this happened, huh?
    I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ChiefKN View Post
    Noone is going to ask how this happened, huh?
    Nah- we don't want to end up being subpoena'd to testify at his trial lol.

Forum Member

This reminds me of the gal that slid down a chimney a while back trying to get into her boyfriends house.

Yeah, the cleaning lady found (smelled) her after a couple of days...
    HAVE PLAN.............WILL TRAVEL

Forum Member

Fine.. Hey what happened? Why was there a corpse found in the greenhouse?
    Do not let the ghosts of our fallen brothers gaze upon you and ask " What have you done to my profession?" FTB DTRT EGH

Forum Member

One of our staff was in the greenhouse Friday-- no body. A group met to go on a trip from there on Sunday, and they were smelling it, but our office butts up to a brushy hillside where numerous critters live, so they thought nothing of it.

Obviously, he was there all day Monday and not a soul of us noticed. The greenhouse is on the opposite side of the parking lot from the office, so we aren't necessarily over there walking around unless we are going to the greenhouse itself.

In today's news of the ironic, the greenhouse sits on the property line we share with the funeral home where our coroner works.

Anyhow, as for what happened, nobody exactly knows. He was homeless and a known alcoholic. We'd had little batches of thunderstorms blow through during that time, so he may have just ducked in there to avoid the rain, then settled in with the two whiskey bottles he emptied before he died. If he passed out in there Friday night, Saturday's heat in that greenhouse was easily enough to kill him.
    ― Hunter S. Thompson

Forum Member

OK... I just have to ask these questions...

1) Just exactly do we grow in the greenhouse?

2) Is our Greenhouse organic?

Back In Black

Quote Originally Posted by EastKyFF View Post
    Saturday's heat in that greenhouse was easily enough to kill him.
    Gross... that heat would do more then kill em.

Poached em, probably.
    I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ChiefKN
    Poached em, probably.
    I was thinking roasted, broiled, baked... not poached.

Think oven man...

Sidewalks are for poaching and frying.

MembersZone Subscriber

More like broasted...
    Jason Knecht
    Assistant Chief
    Altoona Fire Dept.
    Altoona, WI

IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
    http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
    EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

Forum Member

Yyyyeahhhhh.... it was really awful.
    ― Hunter S. Thompson

Thread Information