1. #1
    Forum Member
    EastKyFF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    Nippa, KY
    Posts
    3,145

    Default Deodorizing after putrefaction

    We have a small greenhouse at my workplace. Monday night, a decomposing corpse was found inside it (the door had been removed for repairs).

    With temps in the 90's, as you can imagine, the smell was heinous. I have poured 160 lbs. of powdered lime on the area where the body was. The floor is coarse gravel.

    Has anyone dealt with cleanup of a situation like this? Any commercial products you can recommend? I think if we can deodorize it pretty well I will just pour a little concrete slab to cover the area, but I don't want to seal in that smell.

    Any thoughts?
    I am more than just a serious basketball fan. I am a life-long addict. I was addicted from birth, in fact, because I was born in Kentucky.
    ― Hunter S. Thompson

  2. #2
    Forum Member
    FWDbuff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Pee-Ayy!
    Posts
    7,428

    Default

    Bleach??????
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

  3. #3
    105
    105 is offline
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    198

    Default

    A crapload of activated charcoal for a crapload of time might do the trick. For a shorter fix, you may need to excavate quite a bit of gravel out of there and replace it....

  4. #4
    Forum Member
    pasobuff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Loverly upstate NY
    Posts
    1,734

    Default

    Here is what I found....it states for rotten meat - but hey - that what a corpse is, right?


    Instructions
    Things You'll Need
    Bleach
    White vinegar
    Charcoal
    Baking soda
    Coffee grounds

    1
    Clean any surfaces that were in contact with rotten meat or rotten meat packaging with bleach. The bleach will help to break down the proteins in the meat that enable the rotten meat smell to linger for so long.

    2
    Wipe down any surfaces that were in contact with the rotten meat or may have absorbed their smell with white vinegar. Allow the vinegar to sit for several ours.

    3
    Clean off the vinegar with warm water and dry the surface.

    4
    If the area with the rotten meat smell can be closed off (such as a refrigerator, a car or a small room with a door) place a new bag of charcoal in the area. Unseal the bag and widen the opening so air can freely enter into it. Leave the bag in place for up to one week to allow it to absorb all of the smell, then dispose of the bag.

    5
    If the area with the rotten meat smell cannot be closed off, spread coffee grounds on the area where the rotten meat was located and any surface nearby that may have absorbed the smell. Also place an open box of baking soda nearby. After one week, dispose of the baking soda and vacuum the coffee grounds.

  5. #5
    Forum Member
    BennyT373's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    WV
    Posts
    322

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pasobuff View Post
    Here is what I found....it states for rotten meat - but hey - that what a corpse is, right?


    Instructions
    Things You'll Need
    Bleach
    White vinegar
    Charcoal
    Baking soda
    Coffee grounds

    1
    Clean any surfaces that were in contact with rotten meat or rotten meat packaging with bleach. The bleach will help to break down the proteins in the meat that enable the rotten meat smell to linger for so long.

    2
    Wipe down any surfaces that were in contact with the rotten meat or may have absorbed their smell with white vinegar. Allow the vinegar to sit for several ours.

    3
    Clean off the vinegar with warm water and dry the surface.

    4
    If the area with the rotten meat smell can be closed off (such as a refrigerator, a car or a small room with a door) place a new bag of charcoal in the area. Unseal the bag and widen the opening so air can freely enter into it. Leave the bag in place for up to one week to allow it to absorb all of the smell, then dispose of the bag.

    5
    If the area with the rotten meat smell cannot be closed off, spread coffee grounds on the area where the rotten meat was located and any surface nearby that may have absorbed the smell. Also place an open box of baking soda nearby. After one week, dispose of the baking soda and vacuum the coffee grounds.
    I totally agree! Especially with vinegar and the coffee. Also, check with your sanitation department. I worked with the sanitation dept here during breaks from school and they have got some super powerful stuff! Makes the truck smell like walking through a fruit orchard.

  6. #6
    Forum Member
    L-Webb's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    GA
    Posts
    520

    Default

    What kind of corpse??
    Bring enough hose.

  7. #7
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    19

    Default

    Hey Joe..dat coffee has a weird kinda taste...reminds me of...

  8. #8
    Forum Member
    EastKyFF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    Nippa, KY
    Posts
    3,145

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by L-Webb View Post
    What kind of corpse??
    A human one that was there for about 72 hours in 90-degree heat. Inside a greenhouse.

    I have called Serv-Pro and I think I'm just gonna let them deal with it.
    I am more than just a serious basketball fan. I am a life-long addict. I was addicted from birth, in fact, because I was born in Kentucky.
    ― Hunter S. Thompson

  9. #9
    Forum Member
    Lewiston2FF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2000
    Location
    Niagara Falls, NY, USA
    Posts
    1,924

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EastKyFF View Post
    A human one that was there for about 72 hours in 90-degree heat. Inside a greenhouse.

    I have called Serv-Pro and I think I'm just gonna let them deal with it.
    You sure you're not just finding a way to dispose of a body without the smell giving you away?
    Shawn M. Cecula
    Firefighter
    IACOJ Division of Fire and EMS

  10. #10
    Forum Member
    EastKyFF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    Nippa, KY
    Posts
    3,145

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lewiston2ff View Post
    you sure you're not just finding a way to dispose of a body without the smell giving you away? :d
    shut up!!!

    :d
    I am more than just a serious basketball fan. I am a life-long addict. I was addicted from birth, in fact, because I was born in Kentucky.
    ― Hunter S. Thompson

  11. #11
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    224

    Default

    The coffee ground trick is the cat's meow for getting rid of all sorts of stanks. It's a standard trick in the trucking industry- esp for reefers- to remove a stubborn stink from a trailer before bringing it into a picky customer.

  12. #12
    MembersZone Subscriber
    tree68's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Jefferson County, NY USA
    Posts
    2,346

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nozzle nut 22 View Post
    The coffee ground trick is the cat's meow for getting rid of all sorts of stanks. It's a standard trick in the trucking industry- esp for reefers- to remove a stubborn stink from a trailer before bringing it into a picky customer.
    I've heard of heating contractors using it to get red of the smell of fuel oil.
    Opinions my own. Standard disclaimers apply.

    Everyone goes home. Safety begins with you.

  13. #13
    MembersZone Subscriber
    LVFD301's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    4,025

    Default

    Ask a real expert. Ask the folks at the funeral home next door. No one gets rid of the odor of death better.

  14. #14
    Forum Member
    IronValor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Richmond, Kentucky
    Posts
    210

    Default

    Pine Sol works good
    Do not let the ghosts of our fallen brothers gaze upon you and ask " What have you done to my profession?" FTB DTRT EGH

  15. #15
    Back In Black
    ChiefKN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    The Nice Part of New Jersey
    Posts
    6,981

    Default

    Noone is going to ask how this happened, huh?
    I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

    "The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

    "When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

  16. #16
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    224

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ChiefKN View Post
    Noone is going to ask how this happened, huh?
    Nah- we don't want to end up being subpoena'd to testify at his trial lol.

  17. #17
    Forum Member
    PaladinKnight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    2,413

    Default

    This reminds me of the gal that slid down a chimney a while back trying to get into her boyfriends house.


    Yeah, the cleaning lady found (smelled) her after a couple of days...
    HAVE PLAN.............WILL TRAVEL

  18. #18
    Forum Member
    IronValor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Richmond, Kentucky
    Posts
    210

    Default

    Fine.. Hey what happened? Why was there a corpse found in the greenhouse?
    Do not let the ghosts of our fallen brothers gaze upon you and ask " What have you done to my profession?" FTB DTRT EGH

  19. #19
    Forum Member
    EastKyFF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    Nippa, KY
    Posts
    3,145

    Default

    One of our staff was in the greenhouse Friday-- no body. A group met to go on a trip from there on Sunday, and they were smelling it, but our office butts up to a brushy hillside where numerous critters live, so they thought nothing of it.

    Obviously, he was there all day Monday and not a soul of us noticed. The greenhouse is on the opposite side of the parking lot from the office, so we aren't necessarily over there walking around unless we are going to the greenhouse itself.

    In today's news of the ironic, the greenhouse sits on the property line we share with the funeral home where our coroner works.


    Anyhow, as for what happened, nobody exactly knows. He was homeless and a known alcoholic. We'd had little batches of thunderstorms blow through during that time, so he may have just ducked in there to avoid the rain, then settled in with the two whiskey bottles he emptied before he died. If he passed out in there Friday night, Saturday's heat in that greenhouse was easily enough to kill him.
    I am more than just a serious basketball fan. I am a life-long addict. I was addicted from birth, in fact, because I was born in Kentucky.
    ― Hunter S. Thompson

  20. #20
    Forum Member
    PaladinKnight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    2,413

    Default

    OK... I just have to ask these questions...

    1) Just exactly do we grow in the greenhouse?

    2) Is our Greenhouse organic?
    HAVE PLAN.............WILL TRAVEL

  21. #21
    Back In Black
    ChiefKN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    The Nice Part of New Jersey
    Posts
    6,981

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EastKyFF View Post
    Saturday's heat in that greenhouse was easily enough to kill him.
    Gross... that heat would do more then kill em.

    Poached em, probably.
    I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

    "The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

    "When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

  22. #22
    Forum Member
    PaladinKnight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    2,413

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ChiefKN
    Poached em, probably.
    I was thinking roasted, broiled, baked... not poached.

    Think oven man...


    Sidewalks are for poaching and frying.
    HAVE PLAN.............WILL TRAVEL

  23. #23
    MembersZone Subscriber
    Dickey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2000
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    5,112

    Default

    More like broasted...
    Jason Knecht
    Assistant Chief
    Altoona Fire Dept.
    Altoona, WI

    IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
    http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
    EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

  24. #24
    Forum Member
    EastKyFF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    Nippa, KY
    Posts
    3,145

    Default

    Yyyyeahhhhh.... it was really awful.
    I am more than just a serious basketball fan. I am a life-long addict. I was addicted from birth, in fact, because I was born in Kentucky.
    ― Hunter S. Thompson

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Log in

Click here to log in or register