Forum Member

Default Used SCBA offer for $75...thoughts?

This is the offer found on craigslist.com:
    http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/bar/2495969021.html

I spoke to the guy on the phone and he was pretty straightforward about letting me know that he wasn't very knowledgeable about firefighting standards/equipment/etc..
    He bought several of these SCBA units at a municipal auction and is selling them individually for only $75. It's tempting to buy them, as I'm required to have one for recruit academy...but I'm a little wary.

He says that these units were retired from the departments they came from, although the last stamped hydro-test date is pretty recent (2009-2010).

Do you guys know why a dept would sell-off recently tested SCBA units unless they either failed the testing or are damaged? The seller assured me that there was no physical damage to the tanks, cables, or facepiece...but still, I wanna be sure before I fork over any amount of money.

Any advice would be appreciated, Thanks
    "you know what the best part is? It's not knowing that your friends have got your back--it's knowing that YOU'VE got your FRIENDS' backs."

-Green Street Hooligans

Forum Member

He probably stole it from a museum. What recruit academy are you going to that requires you to buy your own SCBA?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by jwright367 View Post
    He probably stole it from a museum. What recruit academy are you going to that requires you to buy your own SCBA?
    All 15 of them? Must have been an inside job.

I wouldn't waste my time with that unit. It is easily 20 years old or more, and doesn't have a PASS device. I will second the question of why you are having to provide your own SCBA though.
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

-Professional in Either Role-

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

Forum Member

Wait a sec, there has been a rash of thefts around here lately, and Allen is very close to where the thefts have been. Ask that guy if he has any other equipment, like EMS stuff. Some dickwad has been pulling up to ambulances and fire stations and swiping all kinds of stuff. EMS kits, EKG monitors, 02 bags, ect.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by jwright367 View Post
    Wait a sec, there has been a rash of thefts around here lately, and Allen is very close to where the thefts have been. Ask that guy if he has any other equipment, like EMS stuff. Some dickwad has been pulling up to ambulances and fire stations and swiping all kinds of stuff. EMS kits, EKG monitors, 02 bags, ect.
    you should call him yourself, i already called him back and told him i wasn't planning on buying...so it would be a little strange if i called him back with a renewed interest.

to answer your question about the required SCBA units--i'm going through this academy by myself. paid for it out of pocket as there are currently no openings close to where I live. I had the money to spend on it because of scholarships taking care of my college tuition, so i figured it would be a good investment to get my certs and build up my resume and experience before applying for a career fire job.

i realize that if I get hired onto a city department, I'll probably have to go through their own academy as well. I just didn't want to spend my off time (just graduated) working and hanging around my hometown.
    "you know what the best part is? It's not knowing that your friends have got your back--it's knowing that YOU'VE got your FRIENDS' backs."

-Green Street Hooligans

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by GTRider245 View Post
    All 15 of them? Must have been an inside job.

I wouldn't waste my time with that unit. It is easily 20 years old or more, and doesn't have a PASS device. I will second the question of why you are having to provide your own SCBA though.
    thanks for confirming what I was worried about. I let him know I wasn't interested.
    I addressed the required-SCBA question above ^^

-Green Street Hooligans

Forum Member

Good luck with the academy, sucks you are having to go at it by yourself. Did you try all of the online places as well? That is a good price for a vintage pack if you had a collection of old fire stuff at home. I might give him a call and pick one up.

Forum Member

Talking

The odds are that the dept they were bought from got all new to replace these antiques from an AFG grant. They are not worth anything on the open market other than items to hang on the wall of your local FF bar as decorations. The seller probably paid less than
    $20 per unit at a govt auction.
    Low pressure scotts from the 90's
    The local sales rep has hundreds of these he getting ready to throw in a dumpster

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Neil321 View Post
    This is the offer found on craigslist.com:
    http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/bar/2495969021.html

I spoke to the guy on the phone and he was pretty straightforward about letting me know that he wasn't very knowledgeable about firefighting standards/equipment/etc..
    He bought several of these SCBA units at a municipal auction and is selling them individually for only $75. It's tempting to buy them, as I'm required to have one for recruit academy...but I'm a little wary.

He says that these units were retired from the departments they came from, although the last stamped hydro-test date is pretty recent (2009-2010).

Do you guys know why a dept would sell-off recently tested SCBA units unless they either failed the testing or are damaged? The seller assured me that there was no physical damage to the tanks, cables, or facepiece...but still, I wanna be sure before I fork over any amount of money.

Any advice would be appreciated, Thanks
    Listen, from what I gather you're going to be in the Jan-April FETI recruit class. I was an adjunct instructor there before the massive lay offs. Unless you aren't provided an SCBA by your department, you do not need one. If you are not provided one and are paying your way, you can request to borrow one. Buying one will do you no good. Speak to departments in your area and if all else fails I may be able to "borrow" one from my department. I live 3 miles from the academy, I could drop it off for you. As for training, you will become accustomed to the packs. There is no advantage to wearing your pack around in anticipation. If you have any specific questions then feel free to message me. Any information about the class (including the schedule) is available.

Good luck.
    ‎"I was always taught..." Four words impacting fire service education in the most negative of ways. -Bill Carey

Forum Member

I would be weary personally. What type of academy is this that wants you to buy your own scba?
    Fire Service Interview questions - The blog that has REAL interview questions for firefighters, Engineers, Lieutenants, and Captains !

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by JT_Fire_2000 View Post
    I would be weary personally. What type of academy is this that wants you to buy your own scba?
    In retrospect, it really isn't that far out of an idea. In Georgia, if not sponsored by a fire department, you are responsible for all costs, lodging and PPE if you attend the state fire academy. I would expect the same from a private academy as well. He cleared it up when he said he was going on his own.
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

-Professional in Either Role-

I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by GTRider245 View Post
    In retrospect, it really isn't that far out of an idea. In Georgia, if not sponsored by a fire department, you are responsible for all costs, lodging and PPE if you attend the state fire academy. I would expect the same from a private academy as well. He cleared it up when he said he was going on his own.
    LSU-FETI (which if I'm correct, he said he was going to) normally requires you to bring your own PPE, SCBA, "school supplies" and such. In my entire time there they never really had to provide anything for anyone. Normally a recruit asks a volunteer in his area to borrow PPE and SCBA in exchange for volunteering on the weekends he's off. In his case, that would a mighty long drive for a day and a half off.

Quoted in agreeance.
    ‎"I was always taught..." Four words impacting fire service education in the most negative of ways. -Bill Carey

Forum Member

Walk away from the packs. First off they are not Scott, they are ISI RANGER packs and have been out of production for about 15yrs. There are no parts the only thing you can do is flow test, if the testers software is old enough. I would question if the newer posi software includes the Ranger option. Two problems with the unit, one being the docking of the second stage regulator was difficult and the other was some concern with having 2216 air directly to the MMR.
    Am I being effective in my efforts or am I merely showing up in my fireman costume to watch a house burn down? (Joe Brown, www.justlookingbusy.wordpress.com)

Forum Member

If we had a few of these old goats hanging around, we probably wouldn't toss them. Just empty the cylinders, remove the valves, and train new guys in them. Let 'em mask up & just hang the low-pressure hose from the strap or something. That way they can bang around and get rough in a non-smoke environment, and they'll appreciate the modern lightweight jobs once they go on real air.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.
    --General James Mattis, USMC

Forum Member

HA! They caught that dumbass that was stealing stuff from our ambulances yesterday. And I am right there with you about having the new guys crawl around with old heavy tanks on. 5 or 10 years from now we'll be saying "remember how we used to have to wear tanks instead of having these nostril mounted virtual air gereration devices?". Ok maybe more than 5 years. Probably right about the time we get flying cars.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Capt387 View Post
    Walk away from the packs. First off they are not Scott, they are ISI RANGER packs and have been out of production for about 15yrs. There are no parts the only thing you can do is flow test, if the testers software is old enough. I would question if the newer posi software includes the Ranger option. Two problems with the unit, one being the docking of the second stage regulator was difficult and the other was some concern with having 2216 air directly to the MMR.
    Actually, ISI is still around. http://www.avon-isi.com/ By law they should still be supplying parts but having no affiliation with them can't say for sure. Don't disagree with anything else though.

Huh, Avon. Not exactly a name you want to risk your life for, is it? Not saying their current product is junk. Actually, the newest pack I saw was very nice.

On the side, everyone knows Scott has the lion's share of the business. Why is it that they always backorder parts? I once heard someone say they would backorder half of an o-ring. Thirty plus years and several different owners but they still have the same problem? They build and sell a fantastic pack, demand service intervals, and then make it difficult to keep up with the maintenance.

My experience with Scott? My first certification was for overhauling 6000 series regulators. I doubt that many of you have even seen one unless you have been to a museum. Do I still believe in Scott Paks? Yes. I just wish they could quit relying on their name and actually change the market through R&D like they did with the 4.5.

I guess they are too busy trying to influence the NFPA crowd and playing politics rather than actually improving air packs.

There used to be a time when people tried to out perform their competitors rather than regulate them out of business.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by firepundit View Post
    Huh, Avon. Not exactly a name you want to risk your life for, is it? Not saying their current product is junk. Actually, the newest pack I saw was very nice.
    Is it pink? And do elderly women sell them door-to-door?
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.
    --General James Mattis, USMC

Forum Member

Actually, ISI is still around. http://www.avon-isi.com/ By law they should still be supplying parts but having no affiliation with them can't say for sure. Don't disagree with anything else though.

On the side, everyone knows Scott has the lion's share of the business. Why is it that they always backorder parts? I once heard someone say they would backorder half of an o-ring. Thirty plus years and several different owners but they still have the same problem? They build and sell a fantastic pack, demand service intervals, and then make it difficult to keep up with the maintenance.

My experience with Scott? My first certification was for overhauling 6000 series regulators. I doubt that many of you have even seen one unless you have been to a museum. Do I still believe in Scott Paks? Yes. I just wish they could quit relying on their name and actually change the market through R&D like they did with the 4.5.

I guess they are too busy trying to influence the NFPA crowd and playing politics rather than actually improving air packs.

There used to be a time when people tried to out perform their competitors rather than regulate them out of business.
    Hey nimrod, look at this link http://www.avon-rubber.com/ and then remove your foot from your intake orifice. For several years now they have been protecting the nations military. Name not to trust? evidentially you should have looked further and learned more wouldn't you say?
    Am I being effective in my efforts or am I merely showing up in my fireman costume to watch a house burn down? (Joe Brown, www.justlookingbusy.wordpress.com)

Forum Member

SOME of the military. Ask the military guys using them what they think. The NAVY uses Scotts. Probably a REASON. T.C.

Forum Member

Been dealing with Scott for over 50 years here. NEVER had an issue getting parts; EVER! So I'm not sure where YOUR B/O issue is. T.C.

MembersZone Subscriber

Been dealing with Scott for over 50 years here. NEVER had an issue getting parts; EVER! So I'm not sure where YOUR B/O issue is. T.C.
    Local vendor forgets to order parts, blames it on backorder?
    Opinions my own. Standard disclaimers apply.

Everyone goes home. Safety begins with you.

Forum Member

That's what I was wondering. T.C.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Capt387 View Post
    Hey nimrod, look at this link http://www.avon-rubber.com/ and then remove your foot from your intake orifice. For several years now they have been protecting the nations military. Name not to trust? evidentially you should have looked further and learned more wouldn't you say?
    As a head up, just because the US Military uses something does not mean it's a great product. I spent 8 years in the NAVY and can attest to the fact a good deal of what the military buys is less then great. The militaries biggest concern when buying anything is who is the lowest bidder. All the SCBA's i saw were SCOTT. Avon was making chemical protective equipment.

The boots the military buys suck, the flashlights suck, the gloves suck, many of the tools suck. The list goes on. Never assume that "good enough for the US Military" is not any indicator of how great a product is. I am willing to bet that anybody who has served in any branch of the service can think of plenty of things the military uses that are JUNK.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by tree68 View Post
    Local vendor forgets to order parts, blames it on backorder?
    Happens all the time. Easy to blame the big company who is not there to defend itself. I worked in a retail store years ago that used to always blame vendors for slow delivery times when in fact, my boss had forgot to order things.

While i currently have a huge issue with Scott's customer service, i will say, the products are top notch and gettings parts is easy. They are the most popular air packs for a reason.

Thread Information